Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM   #31
johnno3

Default Re: Falcon EcoBoost: The Fuel Efficiency Australians Need with the Performance They Want

Well done Ford Australia! A good news story.

This may have the potential to open an export market for a fuel efficient large rear wheel drive platform. Falcons to the USA perhaps?? Now wouldn't that be a sweetner....

2001 Honda VTR1000 SP-1
97 Honda XR400
Stored Projects
64 MK1 GT Cortina
66 Fairlane GT
johnno3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #32
tweeked
N/A all the way

Default Re: Falcon EcoBoost: The Fuel Efficiency Australians Need with the Performance They Want

So can a P plater drive one?

Could be a great example of a stupid system if that can drive the 200kw car but not the 179 kw one

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #33
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno3
Well done Ford Australia! A good news story.

This may have the potential to open an export market for a fuel efficient large rear wheel drive platform. Falcons to the USA perhaps?? Now wouldn't that be a sweetner....
Without looking to much into its my belief is that Ford US use Ford AUS as a test bed. This is the first example of EB4 in a RWD car, and a large one at that. Maybe, just maybe, it all goes well it hardens the case for GRWD.

Its like when companies run marketing campaigns in little states or cities before going national to see the reaction (theres a term for it but I cant remember right now).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 01-02-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #34
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder what power figures we will see when the tuners get a hold of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked

Could be a great example of a stupid system if that can drive the 200kw car but not the 179 kw one
Obviously they wont be able to, since they cant drive a 200kw v8 or turbo but they can drive a 200kw+ NA Straight 6
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #35
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Who cares about performance?? The primary buyers for this car are going to be fleets that won't buy anything with over 200g/klm CO2 emissions, and the odd family buyer who want a large car without the thirst and the boofy size of an SUV
And that is a problem.. G6 & G6E are both over 200g/klm.

I'm actually a little disappointed with 8.5 from the higher end models.. I'd really like to know why??

8.1 for XT is great, but 8.5 doen't look so good & then over 200 for CO2 as well..

Last edited by Joe5619; 01-02-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #36
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe the XT is running low resistance tyres, or some other economy measure, that wouldn't be as accepted in a higher-end model?
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #37
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Maybe the XT is running low resistance tyres, or some other economy measure, that wouldn't be as accepted in a higher-end model?
If that is the case, then put these tyres on the I6 XT & 9.9 becomes 9.5??
Old 01-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #38
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconnut
Obviously they wont be able to, since they cant drive a 200kw v8 or turbo but they can drive a 200kw+ NA Straight 6
I heard Ford is applying for an exemption to allow P platers to drive them

FG GT Black 6spM
XY Falcon Project (on the backburner for the moment)
BFII XR6 Turbo 6spA
BA XR6 5spM
AUII XR8 5spM
BMW 318is 5spM
XC Falcon 250
XD Falcon 250 Xflow
76 Mitsubishi Galant Wagon (this car would not die, believe me I tried)
TE Cortina 200ci Xflow
XY Falcon 378 Clevo Stroker 4sp Top Loader
Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #39
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
If that is the case, then put these tyres on the I6 XT & 9.9 becomes 9.5??

Yeah true, it'll be interesting to hear the official explanation. Surely there is little difference in weight.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You mean like needing a manual license to drive BA autos becase they had a "manual mode".

That embarrassed a few of the superheroes in Makerston St.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #41
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded
I heard Ford is applying for an exemption to allow P platers to drive them
Its not like their quick exactly and they are hell of alot safter then faster econoboxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You mean like needing a manual license to drive BA autos becase they had a "manual mode".

That embarrassed a few of the superheroes in Makerston St.
Wow thats RETARDED.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #42
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This link says Ford has said the fuel difference is due to wait difference

http://www.caradvice.com.au/157100/f...er-same-price/

That is a huge worry if 50kg can make the car 5% more thirty.. What happens when a few people get inside??
Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #43
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This link says Ford has said the fuel difference is due to wait difference

That is a huge worry if 50kg can make the car 5% more thirty.. What happens when a few people get inside??
Not much happened to my fuel economy in my car when i had 5 people (inc me) in it

Probably lost maybe 100km range if that.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One good thing about the T4 is that the bias of govco fleets buying these instead of I6 will lead to an increase in second hand retail and therefore trade in price for I6 falcons.

With a bit of luck that will lead to more retail new sales with the "I can get one with low kms for half price in a year" option being removed.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #45
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Hmm looks like the caveat on the fuel consumption figures is based on 95RON unleaded:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25799700156F61

Quote:
But the fuel-efficiency gains will come at a cost at the pump, with the new four-pot model – due in showrooms in April – running on 95RON petrol, rather than the standard 91RON unleaded of all other petrol-powered local large cars, including the Holden Commodore and Toyota Aurion.

The high-octane fuel is required for the high-tech 2.0-litre European-made engine, which boasts both direct injection and turbo-charging to deliver six-cylinder-like power and torque with four-cylinder-like efficiency.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #46
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Ecoboost not planned for the Falcon ute or Territory either, apparently.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #47
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
This link says Ford has said the fuel difference is due to weight difference

That is a huge worry if 50kg can make the car 5% more thirsty.. What happens when a few people get inside??
Fixed that for you a bit, hope you don't mind. This is indeed a bit disturbing all the more so as there's no difference in consumption at all between the various models in I6 guise at 9.9. litres per 100 km's.

Simple extrapolation suggests adding in another 100 kg's, (i.e. only one full size passenger to each car) and the I6 and EB4 engines would be lineball in terms of fuel efficiency. I'm sure it won't be quite that bad for the EB4 but it does beg the question in terms of multiple passangers, hilly terrain or towing doesn't it ? Add in the need to run the EB4 on 95 Octane and what are the fuel savings going to be in the real world ?

Last edited by Rodge; 01-02-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #48
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ecoboost LPI anyone?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #49
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

I always love the typical comments from the meat-head brigade...

I seen comments on facebook like:

"ford should have bought the 5.8 back instead"

I still can beleive people are compareing it to the old starfire, chalk and cheese...

And of course there are people who can't get around the fact that technology can give as an economical but powerful 4cyl engine...

This is the car that has the potential to lift the Falcons number game...

The falcon is dead, long live the falcon.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #50
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Mate there are some drop kicks on FB thats for sure. Its shame some of that stuff is public and posted by Ford supporters.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #51
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Hmm looks like the caveat on the fuel consumption figures is based on 95RON unleaded:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25799700156F61
I wonder what the fuel consumption will be on 91RON? As fleet cards used by government and other larger fleets dont allow you to buy premium unleaded.

I imagine wouldnt be a big difference.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #52
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Maybe DI engine need 95 as a min?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #53
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

In Victoria it would be banned, unless it joins the list of the Dihatsu Copen and Suzuki Cappacino?

I think to the general public, they should distance themselves from the 4 cylinder part and advertise it as "EcoBoost" because the baby boomers will be turned off the product thinking of the Starfire Commodores they bought for their first new cars.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 01-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #54
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Maybe DI engine need 95 as a min?
The DI commodore can run on 91RON its 8.9L/100km is based on that fuel.

Im sure EcoBoost will be able to run on 91RON simply because fleets wouldnt buy it otherwise.

It will probably just have lower power and torque, who knows? maybe fuel consumption will be the same on either fuel.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #55
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry, as good as the tech is..if I was looking for a big 4 cylinder car,,it would be the Mondeo, Kia Optima or Hyundai's i45. Falcon to me means a big 6..
Old 01-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #56
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm re-reading the article it sounds like it can only take 95 RON as a minimum?? Not a dealbreaker for many though when you are getting such good economy and performance. I just dont know what that means for fleets.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #57
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Hmm re-reading the article it sounds like it can only take 95 RON as a minimum?? Not a dealbreaker for many though when you are getting such good economy and performance. I just dont know what that means for fleets.
I think 91RON is getting phasing out this year anyway?? So either E90 or 95RON will be avaliable (or is that a NSW thing)
Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 PM   #58
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so no e10 then?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #59
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Sorry, as good as the tech is..if I was looking for a big 4 cylinder car,,it would be the Mondeo, Kia Optima or Hyundai's i45. Falcon to me means a big 6..
Man you are so negative about the Falcon... Time to get out and smell the flowers... how you can expect a car that is built for 20,000 users a year to be so much more then it already is?? its a great car.

If people like yourself actually got out and bought them instead talking about it, as you do then Ford Motor Company would be so much better off...

Your BF Fairmont was not a market leader in any respect, but you still bought it!!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #60
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobramad
Best thing would be to drive them back to back. As you said, at cruise, the consumption figures will make for an interesting comparison. Remember the good old Starfire 4 that GM-H fitted to VH Commodores? Used more fuel and delivered less performance than the 6cyl models did.
Yes, we had a VC Commodore SL with the Starfire four backed with a Traumatic auto gearbox. Fairly slow off the line...but not that slow...you have to remember that a Commodore at that time weighed only about 1300kg, so by largish four cylinder standards it wasn't too bad, probably similar to a two liter TE/TF Cortina in performance.
It was, basically, an idea whose time hadn't come...it was in fact a bit better on fuel than the six cylinder (if you drove it normally), and was certainly cheaper to run with cheaper rego and insurance costs.
I always wondered how it would have gone with a transplant for something later like a sweet SR20 in NA or even turbo form backed with a five speed...then you'd have room, comfort, and power as well.
Don't forget, Ford was only a whisker off fitting the old SOHC two liter from the Cortina to the XD...it was a very near thing indeed.

The four cylinder Falcon is an idea whose time has come...four cylinder engines are at a stage where there is really no reason to not have one in even a large car...on this very forum a while back some people made fun of the NA engine in the great new Toyota 86 for "only" putting out 200hp...the four cylinder in our VC Commodore put out about 60-odd kilowatts or 80hp, and was seen as quite a normal output for the era from a 2 liter.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post