Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #211
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
a
Turbo's were invented by the Japanese
I love this one. The first turbocharged car was the 1962 Oldsmobile F85 "Turbo Jetfire".

So infact it was the yanks that started it all........

GM actually.
Old 17-11-2010, 09:47 PM   #212
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Actually I'm pretty sure the turbo came from way before 1962. I remember a doco with Richard Hammond in it. Apparently it was invented around 1918 by a European racing driver, as a one-off design for his race car.

Actually, it may have been 1928. Or 1938.

Ages ago.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 17-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #213
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Actually I'm pretty sure the turbo came from way before 1962. I remember a doco with Richard Hammond in it. Apparently it was invented around 1918 by a European racing driver, as a one-off design for his race car.

Actually, it may have been 1928. Or 1938.

Ages ago.
Found it. Marsell Renault, in 1902, fitted a home built turbo to his race car.

Youtube Link

Start watching at about 9 mins in.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 17-11-2010, 11:11 PM   #214
JimNiki
71Mach1

to the mods ... what's going on?
This post is called "Common misconceptions".
This opens the door for a lot of BS.
Then I make a condom joke in reply to another posters comment ...
All in the name of a bit of a laugh in the "pub".

so far so good ...then I get banned for being off topic!
Guys, I do get it ...but sheesh ...lighten up a touch!

ok, hit me now ...I'm ready ... seeya Friday guys...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 17-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #215
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8
Found it. Marsell Renault, in 1902, fitted a home built turbo to his race car.

Youtube Link

Start watching at about 9 mins in.
Theres conflict with that, or at least some form of limitation to the claim.

According to Borg Warner it was 1925 before the first successful use in motor racing. I do note it says successful, not just use. The shipping industry had used turbo chargers in 1905. Daimler Benz apparently looked into it in 1885 and 1896 (Ill bet the horse wasnt happy) . Either way, it wasnt the Japs or the Yanks.

They do say the first passenger and mass produced car was a GM in the 60's.

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/product...erHistory.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
to the mods ... what's going on?
This post is called "Common misconceptions".

so far so good ...then I get banned for being off topic!
The thread says "car specific".
Old 18-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #216
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Theres conflict with that, or at least some form of limitation to the claim.

According to Borg Warner it was 1925 before the first successful use in motor racing. I do note it says successful, not just use. The shipping industry had used turbo chargers in 1905. Daimler Benz apparently looked into it in 1885 and 1896 (Ill bet the horse wasnt happy) . Either way, it wasnt the Japs or the Yanks.

They do say the first passenger and mass produced car was a GM in the 60's.

http://www.turbos.bwauto.com/product...erHistory.aspx

The thread says "car specific".
I remember reading (or being told) that the first turbo chargers were used in aeroplane engines. Reason was they counter acted the lower air pressure as you went up.

Use it on the ground, and it increased the pressure above what you would find on the ground.

Sounded semi plausible. Could be wrong of course!
Old 18-11-2010, 12:28 PM   #217
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

They were used in a few WW2 warbirds. The most famous of those being the P39 Airacobra, the P47 Thunderbolt and the P38 Lightning.

They were not, in the case of the P47, used to produce boost. As you correctly pointed out, they were instead used to counteract the decrease in atmospheric pressure at high altitudes. The turbocharger outlet was then routed through an intercooler, and then to a centrifugal supercharger. The supercharger was the device used to produce boost in these engines. Notably the term 'intercooler' comes from it being situated inbetween the turbocharger and the supercharger.
Old 18-11-2010, 12:59 PM   #218
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
It took until the Adventurer/Avalanche/Crewman/Coupe 4 for Holden to build a 4wd Commodore. There were some VL prototypes (up to 10?) built using R32 GTR components.
There were no prototype vl dunnydores with gtr components. That was a mechanic's workshop job. One was produced, and he was willing to sell some of the engineering to other commdore enthusiasts who wanted to copy what he did. I have the original article and a follow up one around home somewhere
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 18-11-2010, 01:06 PM   #219
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
I remember reading (or being told) that the first turbo chargers were used in aeroplane engines. Reason was they counter acted the lower air pressure as you went up.

Use it on the ground, and it increased the pressure above what you would find on the ground.

Sounded semi plausible. Could be wrong of course!
Turbochargers that are used on small piston aircraft to maintain manifild pressure are commonly refered to as normalisers.

Their job is to allow the engine(s) to produce the same power at altitude as it does at sea level.

There is not a lot of air in the air up there........
Old 18-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #220
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
There were no prototype vl dunnydores with gtr components. That was a mechanic's workshop job. One was produced, and he was willing to sell some of the engineering to other commdore enthusiasts who wanted to copy what he did. I have the original article and a follow up one around home somewhere
Happy to be corrected.

I knew that there was a Gibson Motorsport connection but I thought that there was a GM connection in there somewhere (did he start off with a complete VL or a rolling chassis?)
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Old 18-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #221
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
a few I've heard over the years;

FWD will always be faster in drags (that one seemed to pop up after the first Fast and Furious movie)

Turbo's were invented by the Japanese

Hilux's are unbreakable

Camry's are made in Japan

Here's one of the most common misconceptions on this forum - you need to use an apostrophe to pluralise a word.
Old 18-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #222
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
Here's one of the most common misconceptions on this forum - you need to use an apostrophe to pluralise a word.
Turbo as in a colloquial reference to smaller Japanese cars. Therefore proper noun and apostrophe thanks grammar police
Old 18-11-2010, 04:03 PM   #223
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Turbo as in a colloquial reference to smaller Japanese cars. Therefore proper noun and apostrophe thanks grammar police
The context of the above apostrophes are mostly incorrect. They imply plural, not ownership or omission (abbrebviation).

The turbo's too small for that engine - is correct.

The turbos don't work properly - is correct

Turbo's (as in a proper noun, ie, the name of a car) exhausts are too noisy - is correct.

Turbo's were invented by the Japanese - is in fact technically correct (but would not be a common usage), because it's an abbreviation of turbochargers.

The other statements are incorrect due to the use of the apostrophes.

Also, it's punctuation, not grammar.

Thank-you.
Old 18-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #224
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
The context of the above apostrophes are mostly incorrect. They imply plural, not ownership or omission (abbrebviation).

The turbo's too small for that engine - is correct.

The turbos don't work properly - is correct

Turbo's (as in a proper noun, ie, the name of a car) exhausts are too noisy - is correct.

Turbo's were invented by the Japanese - is in fact technically correct (but would not be a common usage), because it's an abbreviation of turbochargers.

The other statements are incorrect due to the use of the apostrophes.

Also, it's punctuation, not grammar.

Thank-you.
Your welcome
Old 18-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #225
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Happy to be corrected.

I knew that there was a Gibson Motorsport connection but I thought that there was a GM connection in there somewhere (did he start off with a complete VL or a rolling chassis?)
I can't remember, but there was a fair bit of home engineering nous involved. I think the engine was a Gibson motorsport unit> There were also a fair few custom designed bits and pieces to get it working like it should. I would have loved to build a copy...but turned to the blue oval before then
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 18-11-2010, 04:27 PM   #226
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Your welcome

Brian is writing graffiti on the palace wall. The Centurion catches him in the act]
Centurion: What's this, then? "Romanes eunt domus"? People called Romanes, they go, the house?
Brian: It says, "Romans go home. "
Centurion: No it doesn't ! What's the latin for "Roman"? Come on, come on !
Brian: Er, "Romanus" !
Centurion: Vocative plural of "Romanus" is?
Brian: Er, er, "Romani" !
Centurion: [Writes "Romani" over Brian's graffiti] "Eunt"? What is "eunt"? Conjugate the verb, "to go" !
Brian: Er, "Ire". Er, "eo", "is", "it", "imus", "itis", "eunt".
Centurion: So, "eunt" is...?
Brian: Third person plural present indicative, "they go".
Centurion: But, "Romans, go home" is an order. So you must use...?
[He twists Brian's ear]
Brian: Aaagh ! The imperative !
Centurion: Which is...?
Brian: Aaaagh ! Er, er, "i" !
Centurion: How many Romans?
Brian: Aaaaagh ! Plural, plural, er, "ite" !
Centurion: [Writes "ite"] "Domus"? Nominative? "Go home" is motion towards, isn't it?
Brian: Dative !
[the Centurion holds a sword to his throat]
Brian: Aaagh ! Not the dative, not the dative ! Er, er, accusative, "Domum" !
Centurion: But "Domus" takes the locative, which is...?
Brian: Er, "Domum" !
Centurion: [Writes "Domum"] Understand? Now, write it out a hundred times.
Brian: Yes sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.
Centurion: Hail Caesar ! And if it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.
Old 18-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #227
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

* Give way to all traffic on the right of the roundabout. The amount of people I drive with who still stop dead at the line to allow an approaching car on the right way is worrying. The 'first in, best dressed' law has been in for many, many years now.

The reason why you still need to give way to the right at a roundabout is, that if you have an accident with a car that is on your right, they have deemed to have travelled the greater distance thereforein theory they were in the roundabout longer, due to traveling further. We all know speed does change this, but In a car accident when it comes down to liability, unless the police have investigated the speed, there is no way to prove speed.

* From what I have been told, seating 6 in a car with 5 belts is legal, providing all other belts are used. (Say, 4 on the back seat, 2 at the front).

There was an accident in Melbourne about 2 years ago, and the car was over loaded. From memory there was 8 people in the car. The driver was not charged for overloading the car, as all seat belts had been used. The police chief even got on the news at the time and said, they could not do anything as all seat belts were in use. I think they changed the Victorian law then.
Old 18-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #228
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Brian is writing graffiti on the palace wall. The Centurion catches him in the act]
Centurion: What's this, then? "Romanes eunt domus"? People called Romanes, they go, the house?
Brian: It says, "Romans go home. "
Centurion: No it doesn't ! What's the latin for "Roman"? Come on, come on !
Brian: Er, "Romanus" !
Centurion: Vocative plural of "Romanus" is?
Brian: Er, er, "Romani" !
Centurion: [Writes "Romani" over Brian's graffiti] "Eunt"? What is "eunt"? Conjugate the verb, "to go" !
Brian: Er, "Ire". Er, "eo", "is", "it", "imus", "itis", "eunt".
Centurion: So, "eunt" is...?
Brian: Third person plural present indicative, "they go".
Centurion: But, "Romans, go home" is an order. So you must use...?
[He twists Brian's ear]
Brian: Aaagh ! The imperative !
Centurion: Which is...?
Brian: Aaaagh ! Er, er, "i" !
Centurion: How many Romans?
Brian: Aaaaagh ! Plural, plural, er, "ite" !
Centurion: [Writes "ite"] "Domus"? Nominative? "Go home" is motion towards, isn't it?
Brian: Dative !
[the Centurion holds a sword to his throat]
Brian: Aaagh ! Not the dative, not the dative ! Er, er, accusative, "Domum" !
Centurion: But "Domus" takes the locative, which is...?
Brian: Er, "Domum" !
Centurion: [Writes "Domum"] Understand? Now, write it out a hundred times.
Brian: Yes sir. Thank you, sir. Hail Caesar, sir.
Centurion: Hail Caesar ! And if it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.
And they reckon that barbarians not latin grammar caused the destruction of the Roman Empire..............

P.S. Coitus ergo sum....veni vidi velcro....
Old 18-11-2010, 10:13 PM   #229
NeillNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has contributed a number of great technical articles for people with X Series cars. 

One that gets me is when I hear people talking about power and torque of an engine as if they are somehow unrelated or mutually exclusive.

I wonder how many people who talk of power and torque know what they are.
Old 18-11-2010, 10:43 PM   #230
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The Pub, automotive related topics only, how hard can it be ?
Too hard for many here.
Closed Thread