Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 14-06-2023, 12:19 AM   #1
sunset06
Starter Motor

Question ST170 Cam belt - recommend melbourne mechanic..

Hi, ST170 crossed the big timing belt line in the sky (160 Mm :-) and is also 19.5 years old, and on it's first belt.

El Deelor says 1100 parts, and won't even mention either expected hours or a minimum labour cost, though I'm sure if they opened their wiz bang computer - it would tell them 3.45 hr or whatever...

I looked at some older threads:
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...40&postcount=1
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...38&postcount=4
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...37&postcount=1
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...0&postcount=15
, but these are between 10-13 years old, and I didn't see any Melbourne shops mentioned.
Priced mentioned ranged form $250 to $900 complete.

I frequent Melbourne Inner NorthWest, or Mid SouthEast, and am after recommendation for a mechanic who has hopefully done ST170s before and can do this without messing up the VCT, and at a decent price ?
sunset06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2023, 08:53 AM   #2
sunset06
Starter Motor

Default Re: ST170 Cam belt - recommend melbourne mechanic..

For those who have done it themselves - how long did your first timing belt replacement take, and what was the parts cost ?

Is there any difference between the baseline Focus LR 2.0 and the ST170 in terms of doing the timing belt (and recommended tensioners and water pump)?

How about needed tools to complete the job ?
Old 10-07-2023, 11:40 PM   #3
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a punt here but you'd need to have the tools to lock up the cams and crank , they'd be model sensitive maybe, no idea .
That fella from OEM denied hires out these tools but for which models I know not , maybe ask him about hiring the tools from him and what else you might need .He is a real good bloke he's helped me with a few of my dumbass questions lol.

Cheers mate HTH.
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2023, 11:00 PM   #4
sunset06
Starter Motor

Wink Re: ST170 Cam belt - recommend melbourne mechanic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcooky View Post
Just a punt here but you'd need to have the tools to lock up the cams and crank , they'd be model sensitive maybe, no idea .
That fella from OEM denied hires out these tools but for which models]
Thanks Badcooky, looks like they are into later model Foci with Turbos, although the alignment tool seems to suit multiple Ford/Mazda engines..
I'm keeping my ear out.. https://www.fordforums.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif
Old 16-07-2023, 07:12 PM   #5
MR_LON
ORSMT5

try EBM, Elite brake & mechanical. they do a fair bit of work on the XR5 so i doubt the 170 would be any issue for them.
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #6
Badcooky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset06 View Post
Thanks Badcooky, looks like they are into later model Foci with Turbos, although the alignment tool seems to suit multiple Ford/Mazda engines..
I'm keeping my ear out.. https://www.fordforums.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif
I'm going to do my timing belt soon going to grab this https://www.v-garage.ca/volvo-camshaft-locking-tool and this https://focusonperformance.com.au/cr...-turbo-rs-mk2/

Or a kit with the crank tool in Chinesium to get it done .
Badcooky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2023, 02:28 PM   #7
Focmachine

I can’t recommend anyone but if I needed someone to do it Id get oem denied in Queenland, or at least ask him if he knows anyone in VIC. A mazda/ford person who has worked with the variable camshaft timing is who you want.
Important to note- They cant fit a stock tensioner. The svt/st170 tensioner is a discontinued part, a stock one even from ford is dangerous to use! you can buy a 2lb spring from 5 acres focus/Matt Rowe and replace the stock spring in a continental brand tensioner.
They should recommend you do the crank, cam seals, water pump and the idler/tensioner.
You can also use a gates rpm timing belt, noisier but apparently stronger.
Ive done a zetec belt recently and am ready to do one of my ST170’s soon, I was able to buy the toledo timing tool kit and the parts cheap enough from the usa. The workshop manual on here was very handy. And I’m going to check in with a few people online because of the vvt system.
Being a 20 year old car id rather do it slow, be careful and not break clips etc and clean.
Focmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2023, 08:11 AM   #8
sunset06
Starter Motor

Thanks Focmachine, I suspect it was your post that highlighted to me that the tensioner (T-43115) in my Gates TCK294B isn't the correct one. All the online parts search sites give like 20-30 compatible tensioners. Then I look up the detail for each, and they either specifically say:
- do no suit ST170, or
- they say they do, but that they also suit 10 other Ford/Mazda engines (988M-6K254-AE). It's really frustrating.

However, phoning Ford service information (from Ford via parts in Melbourne) the proper part is 2M5V-6K254-AA (and not 988M-6K254-AE=normal Focus). I assume that part is what is on my ST170 Focus which I've owned almost since new and has done 160,000 km without trouble and without a cam or auxiliary belt change, so keen to know why you are concerned that the Ford specified one is dangerous ?
ps. Matt was very helpful, but they stick to later model Foci. He tried to work out the original manufacturer, but wasn't successful.
Old 25-08-2023, 10:57 AM   #9
Focmachine

What I understand is the tensioner needs to be firmer due to the higher rpm of the duratec, it could skip timing if it has too much play.
The part number ford gave you matches the original SVT tensioner and ford parts giant lists it as discontinued. It also matches to stock tensioners as compatible.
Im sure many duratecs are running the stock one, how would anybody know?
It was old news to OG focus people I’ve met online, but I only chanced upon the info watching ytube.
It’s diabolical!!!
I just made do with getting a spring and continental tensioner (it has the same part # as a gates so may be the same as the gates you have).

I’m suprised Matt didn’t go over it, he has a few posts about it and sells the springs. He’s a big SVT/mk1 guy.
Old 26-08-2023, 11:28 AM   #10
sunset06
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focmachine View Post
I’m suprised Matt didn’t go over it...
Oops, got my names crossed; I spoke with Jamie at OEM Denied - super helpful and did spy out an original ST170 tensioner - it's expensive and the only delivery method doubles the cost to au$600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focmachine View Post
..OG focus people...
Who/what do you refer to?
I don't remember seeing such a video in my research. Do you have the video link or search which gives it ?

Also, the Gates TCK294B (timing belt kit with T294 belt, T43115 tensioner, Idler and 3x seals) has 2 identical cam seals - but my understanding is the ST170 inlet cam seal is a different size due to the VVT, so I'm also looking for that item..
Old 26-08-2023, 02:29 PM   #11
Focmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcooky View Post
I'm going to do my timing belt soon going to grab this https://www.v-garage.ca/volvo-camshaft-locking-tool and this https://focusonperformance.com.au/cr...-turbo-rs-mk2/

Or a kit with the crank tool in Chinesium to get it done .
He’s looking for a mechanic for this one.
I don’t mind doing my stuff but the vct parts on the cam sprocket are what worry me about the duratec/svt engine. I’ve only just done a 2.0 zetec with a fixed sprocket for the first time.
Why the different locking tools? Cant you get a toledo set for that engine? Got a mk1 kit wich also covers a few mazda/ford engines for a about $130 on sale
Old 26-08-2023, 02:33 PM   #12
Focmachine

[QUOTE=sunset06;6835471]Oops, got my names crossed; I spoke with Jamie at OEM Denied - super helpful and did spy out an original ST170 tensioner - it's expensive and the only delivery method doubles the cost to au$600.

I went looking as well and found one for $180 shipped. It was supposed to be motorcraft. If it was it is old.
I’ll just make them up, the continental donar part is cheap from rock auto and i have two springs from 5 acres focus
Old 26-08-2023, 03:48 PM   #13
Focmachine

Quote:
Oops, got my names crossed; I spoke with Jamie at OEM Denied - super helpful and did spy out an original ST170 tensioner - it's expensive and the only delivery method doubles the cost to au$600.

I don't remember seeing such a video in my research. Do you have the video link or search which gives it ?

Also, the Gates TCK294B (timing belt kit with T294 belt, T43115 tensioner, Idler and 3x seals) has 2 identical cam seals - but my understanding is the ST170 inlet cam seal is a different size due to the VVT, so I'm also looking for that item..
Apart from tbe usable but not right tensioner, those parts will do fine. The seals are universal as far as I know but will check again.
Old 26-08-2023, 03:54 PM   #14
Focmachine

Quote:

I just google ld alda engine cam seals and they are definitely different sizes! I’m glad I found out now instead of having my engine apart.
Old 26-08-2023, 04:20 PM   #15
Focmachine

Quote:

A few people around, look up Jason Hodges sonicsvt he knows many in the mk1 community and has owned his SVT since new. Good bloke
Have a few owners on tiktok and they are on the other socials
Old 27-08-2023, 07:04 AM   #16
Focmachine

Quote:
For those who have done it themselves - how long did your first timing belt replacement take, and what was the parts cost ?

Is there any difference between the baseline Focus LR 2.0 and the ST170 in terms of doing the timing belt (and recommended tensioners and water pump)?

How about needed tools to complete the job ?
Ive only done a standard zetec, with fixed cam sprockets. Took me two days, not rushing and doing other side jobs.

The only difference I can see is the VCT cam sprockets. As discussed the engine has a different (and discontinued) timing tensioner.
The toledo timing tool kit will do the job-part 304730

The workshop manual on this site covers the how to.

Parts were about $450?, gates rpm belt, 2lb tensioner spring, motorcraft water pump. Donar tensioner and idler pulley. The kit you found witht he seals is perfect except the cam seals as I found out yesterday from your information.
New valve cover gasket. Victor Reinz 15-10709-01 was cheap enough from rock auto. Part must specify and SVT or a VIN code 5 engine

You’ll need Normal tools, trolley jack, jack stands and a block to have under the engine when it is off its mount supported by a jack.
Special tools are, a torque wrench (mechanical type $170 from total tools), a means to hold the cam sprocket when it is being torqued (cam holding tool ($50).
When undoing the water pump pulley you’ll need a strap wrench or a flat, narrow file etc to wedge between the pully bolts to brace it.
A few extensions and an impact driver will be handy.
I used lots of brake/parts cleaner

When I do my ST170 I will have to check what to do about the vct sprokets, other than that I consider it and easy job now, just go slow and be aware of your steps and when and why the locking tools need to be removed and reinstalled.

Crank the engine two full revolutions by hand and dont worry that the tensioner needle moves, it will reset after you’ve rotated the engine.