Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #211
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Thousands of Aussie Ford owners could take part in class action over ‘defective automatic gearboxes’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Mums was replaced less than 3000km's ago and has already shuddered. Fan bloody tastic.
This highlights the problem, some people have no trouble with them, others have them replaced only to have the same experience.

Question is, are the first people lucky to have a good one or is there a reason the second box has gone for some people.

And before people get up in arms, i really dont care either way because it doesnt affect me.
What i am doing is playing devils advocate and asking the same questions that will be asked when this all ends up in court.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2016, 02:55 PM   #212
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: Thousands of Aussie Ford owners could take part in class action over ‘defective automatic gearboxes’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
If the design was not faulty, there would be no problems at all with the dsg gearboxes.
You should take manufacturing faults into consideration. Increasing the complexity of design also increases the risk of some random part being manufactured incorrectly.

Quote:
They should be designed for all intended operating environments. City, stop/crawl/start congested freeway traffic, and country driving.
I totally agree, it was silly to put this type of box into a city car.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2016, 03:46 PM   #213
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
If the design was not faulty, there would be no problems at all with the dsg gearboxes.

They should be designed for all intended operating environments. City, stop/crawl/start congested freeway traffic, and country driving.
Manufacturing faults happen. Simple as that.

And good ones do all that sort of driving without a problem.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #214
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
my wife currently has a LS Focus, and I'd always thought at some point I'd upgrade it...

I guess the smart thing to do would be to buy a manual or a diesel, as the diesel uses the wet clutch version.
We have 3 Focus cars in our family 2 LS's and the LS is a great car.
I have advised many to steer away from a DSG Focus, the problems aren't worth it, the DSG trans has tarnished the Focus name plate.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2016, 04:05 PM   #215
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just had contact from Ford (not our local service agent) car goes in for replacement trans or clutches or whatever on the 23rd.

one thing about it I guess they are trying to rectify the problem. shame our local mob don't do the same

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #216
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Was talking to the bloke that we bought our new Tez from on Saturday, and he said that Ford are one of the better companies for looking after their customers. Told him there'd be quite a few here on AFF that wouldn't agree with that view And he deals with three other manufacturers, including a luxury brand.

Anyway, I asked him about the Ford Powershift gearboxes and he said Ford has been great in buying back customer's cars who had experienced problems. He then went on to say that he has personally then purchased those cars for family and friends who have subsequently not experienced problems.

I'm not providing this to provide ammunition to either side of this argument, just thought it was an interesting little insight.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #217
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

our local mob are absolute a##eholes......but they are being watched over by a higher being obviously.

Ford and Holden are the worst dealerships that I have ever dealt with in this area......we have had better service further afield.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 14-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #218
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Anyway, I asked him about the Ford Powershift gearboxes and he said Ford has been great in buying back customer's cars who had experienced problems. .
They wouldn't buy our DSG Focus Sport from us, I tried and was happy to swap for diesel model.
The Ford dealer offered us $12k trade-in on a car that was 2 years old and retailed for $30k we paid $29k at the time of purchase, it went to a Nissan dealer they offered $15k trade-in.

3 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #219
5_speed

Can any one explain why the wet box in the Mondeo is not having the same issues as the dry box in the focus / fiesta?

Our car would be used primarily for stop / start city driving, wouldn't the clutches in the wet system succumb to the same issues over time?

I'm keen on a Mondeo diesel wagon but reading all the issues here is scaring me off.
5_speed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #220
jandj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5_speed View Post
Can any one explain why the wet box in the Mondeo is not having the same issues as the dry box in the focus / fiesta?

Our car would be used primarily for stop / start city driving, wouldn't the clutches in the wet system succumb to the same issues over time?

I'm keen on a Mondeo diesel wagon but reading all the issues here is scaring me off.
Hello 5 speed,
My wife drives a 09 TDCI focus with a DSG , its traveled 146k in stop start city driving. The only issue we had with gearbox was a sensor, which when taking off it would free rev in 1st gear. Apart from that it's not a bad gearbox , with a diesel engine.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #221
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
We have 3 Focus cars in our family 2 LS's and the LS is a great car.
I have advised many to steer away from a DSG Focus, the problems aren't worth it, the DSG trans has tarnished the Focus name plate.
Disagree Ford has tarnished the focus model as well as the brand with there attitude as well as some dealers who just want to deny.This has and will bite them in the *** in the long term.
Old 16-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #222
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
No. Under the ACL, the supplier is not liable where the defect is caused by misuse. If Ford successfully proves on the balance of probabilities that the gearbox is not defective by design, but that the defects, if any, are caused by misuse of the gearbox, they are not liable under the ACL.
So I assume every car delivered that had the powershift had clear instructions given to the drivers at collection on the correct use of the gearbox?

An automatic box is just that - automatic and people refer to previous established knowledge on how to use it unless told otherwise.

When I bought my Focus they were very quick to point out on the test drive that the blinker was on the left - why? Because that's not what most people are used to.

They should have done the same for their 'automatic' gearbox.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2016, 09:26 PM   #223
SpoolMan

Ford are sending letters out to owners, we traded ours to a Nissan dealer nearly 2 years ago, I will pass it on see if they can sent it to the unfortunate new owner.
Spewing after seeing the blueoval on the envelope I thought it may have been Mustang news.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img008.jpg (127.4 KB, 103 views)

Old 28-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #224
jandj

Quote:
Ford are sending letters out to owners, we traded ours to a Nissan dealer nearly 2 years ago, I will pass it on see if they can sent it to the unfortunate new owner.
Spewing after seeing the blueoval on the envelope I thought it may have been Mustang news.
Lets hope this solves the issue with these gearboxes.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2016, 07:45 AM   #225
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^ It doesn't in our case. Car was recently serviced, gearbox issues raised again (as they are every time car is serviced) and this update carried out. Problems still persist.
Old 28-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #226
Strange1

Quote:
"Electrical communication concern" lmao gotta love lawyer speak
Strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2016, 11:10 AM   #227
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
got this one a fair while ago.....bit of a joke really, didn't solve anything.....new box/clutches are being put in my wifes vehicle, when it is done, and if no improvement, the vehicle will be going regardless of trade in price.

Old 28-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #228
skoobysGT

My wife's Focus was jerking so badly that it was un-driveable (15k kms on the clock)..had the clutch replaced through warranty about 2 months ago..so far so good but not holding my breath after reading this thread.

Previous ride: 2011 FPV GT 335
skoobysGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #229
old_mate
Smash the Boost

We've got nearly 80,000klms on our LW trend with the dry clutch; yes it shudders a little sometimes but we are used to it. Often caused by us not using enough accelerator on take off. Both the wife and I have adjusted to driving it - basically the harder you drive it the better it is.

What upsets me most is the resale. I'd love to trade up to a LZ but with everything that's going on; it's just not worth it.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: