Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-08-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Building First Home - Window Treatments and Flooring

Hey guys, recently bought a block and looking to build a home on it. Just wondering how much extra money I should allow for Window Treatments and Flooring? I know it is subjective, but any idea on ball park figure for 300sqm home, 3 carpeted bedrooms, 1 laminate floored bedroom, tiled living areas and kitchen and windows on all rooms and living areas.

Would $15k be a close estimate typically?

2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Brucon

Default Re: Building First Home - Window Treatments and Flooring

we just put in 6 Venetians nice quality nothing ridiculous and i think it cost around the 4 grand mark, but you can definitely get the plain sheet on the roller that alot of new homes have, you can even get them from bunnings most windows are a generic size and you can save big bucks doing it like that, carpet will be fairly cheap. best bit is to go carpet court or what ever you have down your way and they normally do pretty good deals and as for tiles, tell them how big your area is and get them to work out everything you need ie: glue tiles grout etc and than just get some quotes for tilers off of gumtree

and laminate flooring same as tiles just go buy some and than get a chippy in a day rate, should easily knock it over in a day, and dont forget to buy quad for your edges

whereabouts do you live?
Old 20-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #3
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah ok thanks mate, wasn't sure if I'd have to go through the builder or not...

I live in WA, Mandurah.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
Old 20-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

At 300m2 15k would be a massive stretch just for the flooring... $50m2(thats purchase and labor to lay it) is the max you could go with $15k
Old 20-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow really, jeez. Typically what's the price I'd be looking at per sqm? Is $50 cheap?
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
Old 20-08-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Our house is around 255m2 and flooring alone cost $20k. This was a mix of mates rates a small discounts. 50/50 floor tiles and carpet. And was only mid-range stuff too.

Blinds can vary dramatically. We spent over $1k on vertical blinds for just a few rooms. Even good curtains are crazy $$$.
Old 20-08-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
Nova 8

I wouldn't expect change out of $25k, tiling isnt hard and depending on the individual can be easily picked up. Its the speed and accuracy combined which takes years to build. So long as you take your time you should be fine and its a great way to save big $$$. Same for curtains, you can do the work yourself and save good money.
Old 20-08-2014, 11:44 PM   #8
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like Nova8 has said, If you are in no hurry - it's quite an easy task to do the flooring yourself. I've done it three times now - twice I've used the Parador brand and this goes together very nicely. (If you are handy with a jigsaw - that's really about the only power tool you are going to use)

I've just did all the curtain tracks in my daughter's new home (here in Adelaide) They brought most of the gear from Spotlight and I had them mostly done over a couple of weekends - my wife sews so that took care of the curtains also.

Personally, I can see some savings if you are willing to do it yourself - people these days are in too much of a hurry to have everything done BEFORE they move in! (And housing companies exploit this greatly)
When I built my old place at Waikiki back in the early 90's we moved in and lived on the concrete pad for almost 18months - then we slowly did the carpets and laminated flooring LAST. Got fed up of the sand blowing down the street until nearly everyone had their lawns established

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need to decide whether you want to go for cheap generic stuff upfront and fit better stuff later,
Or fit quality up front.
For carpet, get your measurements and check out the places that sell "room-size" oddments. Take your time, shop around, and be prepared to haggle. Then get a carpet layer out of the local rag to lay it for cash.
Laminated timber? Consider Bamboo or ceramic tiles. Decent timber aint cheap, and the cheap stuff looks nasty with a bit of wear.
For your windows, if you're going to go for verticals or Venetians, etc, make sure you do your homework. Talk to people who've had them for a year or so, because there is a wide range of quality, particularly in the mechanisms. For your curtains, grab the gear from Bunnings and shop for your curtains online.
Old 21-08-2014, 12:49 AM   #10
Ruination

Not trying to be too nosy mate, but who will you be financing your house with?
Purely because some banks won't finance you unless you build a house with flooring and window treatments included.

Its just incase you do a backflip on repayments and the bank takes the house from you. They won't sell a house half done, in other words.

Be aware of that fact.
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 01:26 AM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
Not trying to be too nosy mate, but who will you be financing your house with?
Purely because some banks won't finance you unless you build a house with flooring and window treatments included.

Its just incase you do a backflip on repayments and the bank takes the house from you. They won't sell a house half done, in other words.

Be aware of that fact.
Interesting, I've had the exact opposite experience.
Old 22-08-2014, 03:23 AM   #12
Ruination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Interesting, I've had the exact opposite experience.
Yeah, I've only just started building my house. And a number of banks/brokers had this policy.
Bothered me a bit because I wanted to install timber flooring myself as its part of my trade. But the bank said no unless the builder did it. (And charge a stupid profit margin on top)

So now Ill be doing the roof instead as its an easier option to save some money, and less hassle.
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's part of the loan conditions that need to be in place, including basic front landscaping, driveway and a couple other things.

It sucks s I'd like to have done the flooring out of my own money.

Now just to decide on one out of the two homes I really want
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
Old 22-08-2014, 01:00 PM   #14
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

We ended up getting a quote on polished concrete for our new build, only slightly more than mid range laminate flooring even with the changes to the slab/foundations needed for polished concrete(extra thickness and near double the amount of reo in the slab).
Polished concrete will outlast any other flooring... will out last the house too!
Old 22-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #15
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just put new blinds/curtains in our place so have done a bit of research.

Stay away from the cheap brands – eg Accent, Kresta and Wysnston. Many of those offer a 3 year warranty but won't repair after that even if you offer to pay for it, and because they only tend to last 3-4 years you end up having to replace them.

Cheap verticals are a nighmtare and you will be forever having to replace the clips or track. Seems that all brands are proprietary so one mob can't fix anothers product without replacing the lot. Found that out when I had to replace blinds in 2 bedrooms of an investment property all because 2 slats were falling off repeatedly.

Go with Luxaflex
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post