Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-07-2005, 04:22 AM   #1
tickford8
Starter Motor

Default AU cluster problems

i have recently put a new (well old one from wreckers) cluster into my AU2 xr8 due to the original one dying on me and for some reason my premium sound head unit stoped working only the volume knob and on/off buttons work no other buttons on the head unit or stearing wheel control work. does anybody know why this is happening?

tickford8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2005, 03:33 AM   #2
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Only guessing, but is it possible you got a AU1 cluster?

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
tickford8
Starter Motor

im not really sure mate is there a way to tell? a differance i can notice is that the LCD panel has red digits where as they were black in my old cluster and it also shows that the petrol lid is open if thats a help. im thinking that it could be a t-series cluster??? but i still dont know how the cluster will make the head unit cease to function properly.
Old 08-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

It's definitely a AU1 cluster. And by the sounds of it, I think it could be a AU1 Fairmont cluster (if it has white face, it's a T-series). Will not plug and play with AU2, as the wiring is different from AU1 to AU2/3. This will explain your problems.

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2005, 05:31 PM   #5
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford8
i have recently put a new (well old one from wreckers) cluster into my AU2 xr8 due to the original one dying on me and for some reason my premium sound head unit stoped working only the volume knob and on/off buttons work no other buttons on the head unit or stearing wheel control work. does anybody know why this is happening?
Something fizzed in my AU3 cluster, so I took it to a instrament repair place, they fixed the blown resister or whatever it was, re calabrated all the gauges including the speedo to police specs, {less than 1 KPH tolarance} All for $80 !!! Bargin.....Hope this helps...... :

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
tickford8
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Something fizzed in my AU3 cluster, so I took it to a instrament repair place, they fixed the blown resister or whatever it was, re calabrated all the gauges including the speedo to police specs, {less than 1 KPH tolarance} All for $80 !!! Bargin.....Hope this helps...... :

i probably should have done this instead of rushing out to buy a new cluster.. i guess i'll have to look at gettin the old one repaired unless anyone knows if it is possilbe to get a series 1 cluster working on a series 2???
Old 09-07-2005, 12:39 AM   #7
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Hmm I have just rushed out to buy a new cluster ($430) after I damaged my fuel guage. The only reason I have stuck with the idea is that the new cluster is xr where mine is forte. I know I should fix the forte though but can't get the xr one out of my mind now.

Would the new cluster be preety accurate with the speedo? Hopefully the new cluster is easy to install.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:52 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

tickford xr8 - no, you cannot get an AU1 cluster working in an AU2 without some major rewiring.

Duffman, as long as you got the same series but just changed from Forte to XR (ie both series 1 or both series 2), then you should be fine. You will need an oil pressure sender unit though (or just ignore that part of the gauge)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post