Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Does your AUIII whine between 80-90km/hr?

The one I've just acquired has a fairly noticeable whine (more like a low pitched tone) around 85km/hr coming from the rear area. I took it into Bayford before I purchased it and they thought it was tailshaft vibration. The dealer apparently "fixed" it but the noise is still there... it's just a bit quieter.

Any ideas? Is it normal or should I take it back to be fixed?

I might see if he has another AUIII on the lot and take it for a test drive to compare.

rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 09:59 PM   #2
Timeshift

My AUIII doesn't have any sort of a problem like this...
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowan194
fairly noticeable whine
The whine in my AU III usually comes from the passenger seat :
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #4
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It might pay to get your Tailshaft balanced, from a proper Diff/Tailshaft expert. Should cost around the $50 mark if i recall.

Quote:
The whine in my AU III usually comes from the passenger seat
lol top call... You gotta love being single!! well more un-married :P sucks to be you :voldar02:
Old 05-07-2005, 02:31 AM   #5
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
It might pay to get your Tailshaft balanced, from a proper Diff/Tailshaft expert. Should cost around the $50 mark if i recall.
The recommendation from Bayford was to replace the tailshaft, and the tech mentioned that there was an updated part (then again my car was a 2002 build so it may already have that).

One thing I forgot to mention, it's only apparent when I have my foot on the accel. When rolling there is no sound. I can very lightly press and release it at 85km/hr and it sounds like switching a test tone on and off.

Whatever the dealer did before delivery has reduced the volume, but it's still there...
Old 05-07-2005, 02:38 AM   #6
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

No, I don't think I have that sound.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

it is probably the rear brakes holding some dust.Mine does it alot.But I like it because it makes me feel as though my wife is in the car :

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #8
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Drove an AUIII falcon today to compare... the noise in my AUIII 'mont is definitely not normal. The dealer just swapped the tailshaft with another vehicle, it's now going to Bayford for a proper fix!
Old 06-07-2005, 12:29 AM   #9
buckshot
Starter Motor

definatly not
buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #10
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

yes I have noticed a whine from my car recently, between 70 - 80.
I ceratinly wouldn't think its the tail shaft more like the diff imo.
Instead of going to the dealer who will only jerk me around I suspect low low diff oil.
I intend putting in some diff additive and topping it up and see what the outcome is.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2005, 03:40 AM   #11
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The dealer I bought my vehicle from seems cool enough... he whacked on 4 brand new tyres because the RACV report said they were borderline. Ignition leads were also replaced plus new platinum sparks, and a couple of extra paint touchups that I mentioned were also done without fuss.

The whine seems to be the only issue that wasn't fixed, possibly because Bayford returned their "replace the tailshaft" recommendation based on a test drive only... so the dealer's mechs probably replaced it and didn't do anything further.

Since I've now taken possession of the vehicle I can take it to any Ford dealer to have it repaired under the dealer's warranty.

If I was paying for it myself: tailshaft, $770. Diff, $2k. ouch