Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-07-2005, 01:06 AM   #1
Timeshift

Default White stuff on the + terminal of battery

What is it and why does it keep coming back after i brush it off?

Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 01:13 AM   #2
MrQuan
Social Disaster

That white powder is corrosion caused from the acid, air, and metal on the battery terminals. It's best to take of the wires and clean the terminals with a wire brush and all the connectors (make sure you don't short anything). Make sure you clean it all off, otherwise it will continue to corrode. ;)

If it's a reaccuring problem you can actually get this paste or spray stuff that prevents corrsion (probably find it at battery world or something??). Clean the battery completly, apply the paste/spray and connect it all back again.

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 01:18 AM   #3
Timeshift

Well when I had a few issues fixed at Ford under warranty, they did a really good job and got it all off and looked perfect. It reoccured after 2 or so months and I did the same thing, and it all came off. Now it's back again :(

Looks like i'll have to get some spray. Thx
Timeshift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 01:20 AM   #4
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can use good old petrolium jelly, just a very light thin smear after cleaning will do the trick
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 07:34 AM   #5
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Boiling hot water and a tablespoon of Bi Carb. Mix together, and pour over affected areas. Buy some spray and treat. no need to remove terminals. don't use petroleum jelly. It will do the job, but attract other sh!t like dust.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
Kryton

thing is though that some batteries do it while others dont.
my last battery NEVER done it and the guy at battery world even complimented me on how clean i keep the terminal. i never cleaned it though.
dropped a new battery in and within 2 weeks its flakey town everywhere.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2005, 09:19 PM   #7
damo03
BBQ gas User

Yep, the bi-carb soda is a good idea, to neutralize the acid/ corrosive build up. After that buy a can of "crc battery terminal protector / sealer".

(its this sticky green gunge) and that seals it from the outside world. Just make sure u get all the terminal (use a paintbrush if you have to) as i didnt get the underside of the terminal and it gets white corrosion there.

Damo