Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 05-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
LaserPete
Starter Motor

Default KH Laser Ghia horn problems

My 92 KH Laser Ghia horn started sounding at random times, e.g. 4am in the morning. Disassembly of the horn pad shows the horn pad consists of 2 copper plates separated by a thin layer of foam rubber, foam rubber has decayed and there are now multiple electrical shorts between the copper plates. (I've tried insulating some of the shorts, but the problem returns somewhere else within a short time - now most of the foam rubber is just crumbling away).

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? Any advice on the best fix. I'm guessing I can find a replacement horn pad at a wrecker, but it will probably get the same problem due to age.

The KH Ghia had a different steering wheel (2-spoke) to all the other KH models (3-spoke). Does anybody know if the 3 spoke steering wheel had the same horn pad design? If the 3-spoke wheel had a better horn pad design, I could replace the whole steering wheel perhaps?

LaserPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
smally289
growing up is optional

Default Re: KH Laser Ghia horn problems

Can't help with the interchangeability of the horn pads, but have seen this on a lot of Lasers and Telstars of this era.
We used to get some sponge foam and slice it up to insulate the 2 plates. Glue it in with some contact adhesive on one side only and you should be right. Depending on the density of the foam you use, you might have to play around with the thickness to get it right. Somewhere like Clark Rubber should be able to supply what you need.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Had the same issue ... the foam deteriorates over time.
I think my Mum just had the horn pad replaced and it fixed it.

I think it was a GHIA's that had the issues as the horn pad was larger and curved back ... usually early morning sun would set it off as the exterior of the pad was expand in the warmth and cause it to contact.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

I had a similar problem on a KH Laser Ghia a few years back. I arrived home after being out for a few hours only to have my neighbour come running out to tell me that the horn had been sounding full on for sometime but had just gone quiet. By the time I got to it the horn was roasted and the plastic coating had melted off , from memory I'm pretty sure mine was due to moisture in the relay and the contacts had welded together. A new horn and a new relay fixed the problem
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post