Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 10:22 PM   #571
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Interesting to note that the people commenting on the change to the rep system all seem to be either donating members, or moderators.

I don't know if it means anything (maybe rep means a little bit more to us than Joe Bloggs who just wants to know how to get the door trim off his Laser) or not, just an interesting observation.

I would like to say though that I'm with Gecko and disagree with points of any kind being issued for any attendance.
Perhaps we just care more about our forum.

I for one don't appreciate having been criticised openly because I have a high rep, apparently this makes me one of the select few and therefore I get treated differently and allowed to get away with anything. If anything, the exact opposite is true.

This is an issue that we did not have before the rep system was bought in.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #572
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

Default rep points

well said mark i am a donating platinum member i went to that status for no other reason than the forum has helped me out so i thought that would help the forum in some small way i think some people should take a chill pill and just enjoy the forum for what it is a way for enthusiests to help each other i have made a few friends on here and allways enjoy meeting members at shows or functions everyone has their own agenda for being a member so just enjoy it ps i didnt even know what the smilies etc were and i dont really care but know i do i would give them out to people who have helped me a member helped me the other day sent me a pm to a post i put on and went out of there way to help that deserves reward just my 2cents worth cheers gary
Old 12-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #573
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

An interesting debate.

1. in GT's original post she said
Quote:
Likewise, there are those who contribute by their actual physical attendance and support of forum events and that contribution is not recognised under the current system either.
I'm not sure how this managed to be hijacked into a comment about event attendance being more valuable or worthy of recognition than anything else so those who misquoted the original comment or quoted Gecko GT's should have had the courtesy to read the original comment rather than comment on a misquote.

2. The only change made this morning (that started the bitching) was to cap the rep a member could give to the same level as admins instead of the ridiculous situation whereby some could issue significantly more simply because the admins are capped - thus the change was about introducing equality. Seems that even this minor change was deemed unacceptable by some.

Effective immediately, the user reputation system is canned for the following reasons:

1. While the system has been valuable for some it has also been open to some fairly widespread abuse. If I were to share some of the comments that have gone along with rep then I feel sure that there would be very few fans of the system left.

2. The rep system calculates a users rep power every time a thread is viewed - in other words it is not a stored value. This means that in an average day there are 16,250,000 calculations performed simply to display reputation power and frankly this is a significant load on a server that is currently struggling to keep up.

The forum is a community and like all communities there are different motivations for involvement by each member. None the less there are those who go out of their way to be helpful to others or who contribute in other ways to the community spirit and thus we will review what other methods are available for recognition of those who contribute their time, skills and experience to the forum.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-02-2011, 11:12 PM   #574
ego gtp
Club Moderator
Donating Member3

i appologise russell if i said anything to offend cheers gary
Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #575
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thumbs up, definitely more hassle than it was worth. Added bonus if it is clearing sever speed aswell.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-02-2011, 11:14 PM   #576
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

That applies to me as well, no intent to offend at all. Just commented on things as a part of the discussion based on how I read the authors point.

If I got it wrong or offended, I dod not mean to and apologies.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #577
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

No offence taken Gary. Like all things we try out here there is need for review to see whether they work or not and as the forum continues to evolve there will no doibt be some other things we introduce that work and some that don't.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 12-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #578
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

i reckon rep points were good... especially when you needed to trust someone when asking "how to re-build a 5.4L boss V8" or something..
Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #579
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

I had the third highest rep points on AFF but I could not give you technical information on re building a Boss, other members had a lot less rep but could give quality advice. My point is rep does not really help in that instance.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #580
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

fair enough. i see your point..

i still liked my "Is an XR, Sporty and Worthy of respect"
Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #581
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Fantastic idea!
I never really liked the rep system anyway, infact, i had aquired about 3 smilies in the last two days which i thought odd as the posts i had made didnt really deserve recognition, they were just honest opinions.

I gotta be honest, when i reached F6 status i was wrapped, however, i was concerned to learn it meant i was not to be underestimated. Now, anyone who's followed my forum career would know i should definately be underestimated...

Great work guys, keep it up!
Old 13-02-2011, 12:02 AM   #582
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Dramatic change, but for the best i'm sure.

No doubt there are a couple of members here who are going to be bloody annoyed at this.
They know who they are and i'm sure everyone else has a pretty good idea too, but change is good and i'm sure in time those people will come to realize that it means nothing.
Old 13-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #583
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I was pretty ambivalent about the reps system, Though I rather liked some of the comments people placed in my CP when adding to rep.

Wont miss it really........

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 13-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #584
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

A positive move forward me thinks....

Is it just me or is AFF loading like a machine gun stuck on auto.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 13-02-2011, 12:51 AM   #585
T3-TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny you say that,i havnt hit any speed humps tonight!
Old 13-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #586
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

was just thinking the same thing.
Old 13-02-2011, 01:02 AM   #587
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
2. The rep system calculates a users rep power every time a thread is viewed - in other words it is not a stored value. This means that in an average day there are 16,250,000 calculations performed simply to display reputation power and frankly this is a significant load on a server that is currently struggling to keep up.
Fantastic!

In some ways I am a little disappointed its gone, but hell I'd rather see a faster forum than a bunch of smilies under someone's name!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Old 13-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #588
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

And on a positive note , someone like iliov who had seventy million red faces is now the same as us ..
Everyone deserves a second chance..

Now that the rep system is gone Russ how about resetting everyones warnings as well ..
And lets see if anything has been learned from this exercise ?
Darren ..x..
Old 13-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #589
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Now that the rep system is gone Russ how about resetting everyones warnings as well ..
Darren ..x..
Nope ..... thats a different kettle of fish and not going that path of discussion. Totally different to what the smilies were .....

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 13-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #590
WMD351
Size it up

So it really was the rep of "the big three" crashing the server?
Old 13-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #591
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
And on a positive note , someone like iliov who had seventy million red faces is now the same as us ..
Everyone deserves a second chance..

Darren ..x..
as dave said, warnings are NOTHING to do with rep.
Old 13-02-2011, 01:28 AM   #592
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

.................. and so comes to the conclusion of the little green smilies as there really is not too much more to add. .... except some yellow ones as a memory.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread