Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 31-03-2008, 10:59 PM   #1
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Look out Falcon, some strong opposition

Mondeo v Falcon article found on Carsguide

Quote:
Ford’s sibling rivalry
Ford faces a family feud between two of its cars - Mondeo and Falcon.
Stuart Scott, Carsguide

Look out Falcon, some strong opposition is close at hand — and it wears a Ford badge.
Ford's imported Mondeo range — there is both hatchback and sedan, with a variety of engines and trim levels, and prices starting from $29,990 — is the Australian-made Falcon's baby brother. At least in theory.

But the 'medium-size' Mondeo is an efficient package, so roomy it is almost as spacious as the 'family-size' Falcon. In fact boot capacity is identical.

While the bulkier Falcon offers much more shoulder space, on most other interior measurements they are mere centimetres apart, and the Mondeo manages to win for front leg room.

So the new-look Falcon range, which reaches showrooms in just over a month, faces a family feud, quite apart from its natural enemy, the Holden Commodore. The current-series Falcon starts at $5000 more than the Mondeo range, though that is with a six-cylinder engine versus the base-model Mondeo's four-cylinder power plant.

The lighter and smaller-engined Mondeo is of course less thirsty, but can't match the high-torque thrust that cars like the Falcon deliver.

But really they are worlds apart. The Mondeo — designed in Germany, built in Belgium — is a hot seller in Europe, regarded over there as a worthy rival for cars like the BMW 3-Series.

The new-generation design is a slick-looking wedge of metal, curved and sharply creased in the latest Ford corporate style, yet roomy and practical when you step inside.

It drives just like it looks, sure-footed and capable, with a sophisticated, upmarket air.

Unlike the Falcon, there is a high-efficiency diesel option, or a sporty-ish turbocharged five-cylinder version, with petrol four-cylinder variants in the middle.

The entry-level LX comes only as a sedan, and the top-line XR5 Turbo is hatchback only, but the in-between petrol Zetec ($34,990) and diesel TDCi ($37,990) give buyers the choice of hatchback or sedan bodies, both with slick six-speed automatic transmissions.

As seems to be the case so often these days, the diesel is surely the pick of the bunch. No matter about its $3000 price premium over the Zetec, or the extra cost per litre for its fuel — great economy and refined manners would make it a truly satisfying car to own.

If there is a disappointment, it is that the XR5 Turbo model seems to possess nothing like the exuberant zing found in the compact Focus hatchback which uses the same powerplant.

Also on the minus side, the Mondeo is hardly a household name in Australia and its track record isn't good; Ford's efforts to sell previous versions came to nothing.

Key Points

Ford Mondeo

Details: Medium-size sedan and hatchback with 2.0 litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine (power 96kW, torque 320Nm), 2.3 litre four-cylinder petrol engine (power 118kW, torque 208Nm), or 2.5 litre five-cylinder turbo petrol engine (power 162kW, torque 320Nm).

Cost: LX $29,990 (2.3 litre auto sedan); Zetec $34,990 (2.3 auto sedan or hatch); TDCi $37,990 (auto diesel sedan or hatch); XR5 Turbo $41,990 (manual hatch).

Rivals: Mazda 6, Subaru Liberty, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, VW Passat.

For: Sophisticated and efficient.

Against: Low profile.

Summing up: Ford's Euro contender

- The Sunday Mail (Qld)
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #2
jared79
Sock Puppets

I agree, I love my Zetec Mondeo. Easily the best car I have ever driven. It corners like nothing else. BUY THIS CAR.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont really find the new falcon or the mondeo very easy on the eye....... just me maybe
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 02:29 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Are there any figures out yet on how well Mondeo is selling??

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly_ba
I dont really find the new falcon or the mondeo very easy on the eye....... just me maybe
Interesting you should say that because I've noticed how many cars have similar styling since buying my Mondeo particularly in the front end with the lights and those grooves on the sides of the bonnet. And this group includes the Maserati sedan and the new Jag.

These days unless you are real car enthusiast it's hard to pick the brand of a car just from a casual glance.
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie
I've had my Mondeo for nearly a month and still haven't seen another one on the road.

I got called by a Ford survey rep this morning and I told him that I thought Ford was holding back on advertising/selling the Mondeo because they were afraid of it hurting Falcon sales. He made a comment which didn't dissuade me from my belief.

Despite the opinion of motoring writers etc., the Mondeo is not a medium-sized car - it's a large car with a medium-sized engine. I believe it will hurt Falcon sales. I've owned many Falcons but I would not buy another one in preference to a Mondeo.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 PM   #7
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:

I remember reading they're selling really well, it's just we can't get enough into the country as we've been only been allocated a couple 100 a mth. Another problem is FORD AUS underestimating the TD craze with over 40% of the orders being the TD's leaving people having to wait. This is prob a reason why there's not many out on the road yet.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
TheColonel

There seems to be a world wide shortage on the mondeo at the moment... the factory has striked several times this year already and there are people in Europe waiting for cars they ordered in sept last year, so the lieklihood of ford au being able to change their allocation will be interesting, i guess since the 2008.5 is now in production with the new colours they might have a chance to swap things up. The first person who gets a mondeo with a locking fuel flap, let us know
Old 01-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

can not see the mondeo replacing the falcon any time soon. the aussie large car buyer just will not warm to fwd. the 380 is living proof. medium and small sells well in fwd but large is still a first class ticket to bankrupt in this country. its true the mondeo is very close to the falcon in actual size but the average punter still sees it as medium which could actually be a good thing. if ford trys to push it into the large car segment via a marketing campaign it could very well backfire on them.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
jared79
Sock Puppets

They wont push it into the large car market, they don't want to compete with the Falcon. They want it to compete with the Mazda 6 and alike. I know it's almost as big as a Falcon, but Ford will market it as a Mid-size car. As for the looks sly_ba, I know I am a bit bias because I own one. But that's why I was drawn to it, I love the styling of it. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Falcon and I hope it's around for many, many years to come. The FG is a good looking car and the new FPV range...WOW! Tough. 300kw V6. Eat that Holden.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

These Mondeo's are so smooth to drive and no cabin noise no diff clunks or rattles anywhere as yet. Great car to drive and cannot hear the engine at all when driving on the HWY.

The look of the car grows on us everyday and the engine is not as punchy as the Focus XR5 but nothing a zorst and edit won't fix if you want to go that way.

Fuel is good and so far 650-700ks a tank city driving and this should get better as the engine frees up.

Interior is great with plenty of leg room and heaps of boot space. The car handles very good for a front wheel drive and to be honest i can't tell the difference when driving around the City or HWY it's that smooth.

Of course it doesn't have the punch our Phoon had and i do miss the power and torque of our old car but for now i'm bloody happy with our purchase until the new V6 engine comes out to play in the 2011 F6.

Anyone buying one of these cars won't be disappointed

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
scribbly

I just a turbo falcon owner look over my new Mondeo & he reckons there's more room in my car. Yahoo, it goes like a rocket and all the extra km's from a diesel to boot.
The bluetooth option is fantastic - just leave the phone in the bag & I still know who's calling with the central display telling me who it is.

My dad went all funny when he found out it was FWD but I remember he once had a Lancia HPE FWD and it had similar characteristics to this car.
Just 'boot it' and see how quickly it gets you there.

Fan-bloody-tastic I say. :
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

RATT has started a Thread elsewhere in the Forums and he does mention that the March '08 Sales figures state that 356 Mondeo's were sold. So there you go!

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #14
Katoomba

Quote:
... March '08 Sales figures state that 356 Mondeo's were sold ...
I've mentioned here before that I am yet to see one on the road.

My wife finally spotted a black one yesterday.