Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 12-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #31
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Well after looking around at what people in Europe get and actually asking people from over there I know, 48mpg Mondeo TDCi and 56mpg Passat 2.0 TDI.

You convert it to L/100km and tell me what it is.

Golf 2.0 TDI is like 60 mpg, and similar for Focus 2.0 TDCi.

You don't want to know the kind of mpg they're getting from small crap like the Diesel Lupo's and things...
There are so many factors that must be considered with fuel consumption when comparing similar sized cars. Transmission type, average speed, length of trip, aircon use, heavy right foot, etc. You would be hard pressed to achieve anywhere near these figures unless you were quoting pure highway kilometres. I know of 2 guys who claim to achieve similar fuel consumption. One drives a 6L V8 on a highway, the other a 2.4 4cyl in city traffic. Same fuel consumption figures right? Swap cars and then compare the two.

The Mondeo TDCi's quoted fuel figure is on the high side for a diesel sedan. But when you take into consideration the size of the vehicle, the auto transmission and its safety equipment, it is quite reasonable. Coming from an XR6T, it was a novelty to see the trip meter showing me 5.4l/100km and a DTE of over 1000 kms after a bit of a freeway run.

Enjoy the XR5 scotty. I think the TDCi and XR5 are making up most of the sales at this stage.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:15 PM   #32
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
The Golf 2.0 TDI Manual is rated at 5.7l/100km (41mpg) combined and the Passat 2.0 TDI DSG is rated at 6.6l/100km (35.6mpg) according to Volkswagen.com.au.

They are a little thirstier than Ford's TDCi engines because they are slightly more powerful, however they don't have the "Overboost" feature.
And factory ratings matter why? The factory is almost never spot on. Either conservative (VW, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mercedes) or optimistic (Holden, Honda, Toyota etc).

The Golf 2.0 TDI can do 4L/100km. As I'm certain the Focus TDCi can get close to also.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 10:26 PM   #33
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
There are so many factors that must be considered with fuel consumption when comparing similar sized cars. Transmission type, average speed, length of trip, aircon use, heavy right foot, etc. You would be hard pressed to achieve anywhere near these figures unless you were quoting pure highway kilometres. I know of 2 guys who claim to achieve similar fuel consumption. One drives a 6L V8 on a highway, the other a 2.4 4cyl in city traffic. Same fuel consumption figures right? Swap cars and then compare the two.
Which is the reason for industry standards and ADR's.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #34
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryV8
I am going through this decision making process at the moment.

The diesel Passat is an awesome car. If the price difference was only $4,500 over the Mondeo I would probably save the extra money and buy it.

However, I am probably going to buy a Mazda 6 Diesel. They are, unfortunately, only available in manual. But with run out deals on the outgoing model meaning that the wagon can be had for around $35,000, and the hatch for $38,000 (with leather), they are pretty good value for money. They are only 105KW but 360nm.
The Mazda6 is a great car, but a little cramped across the rear, not really any bigger than the Focus internally, wagon is great unit though. BIL changed from 6 manual Sports Lux hatch to Corolla auto with less pain than expected, he has 3 kids too which I'd have thought would have made this stupid, but it works. The next gen Mazda6 wagon though should be great family transport, with the large rear quarters of the mondeo. For my money, I'd wait for the newy and compare at least. Resale trade Mazda on Mazda has always been good though.

Report back on a MondeoTDCi doing the Geelong>Melbourne daily run is 1000+kms per tank.
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 PM   #35
monkeyboy666

The thing about the Mondeo though compared to the Passat or whatever, is that it is a large car - and a Ford... I've had big boofy blokes who would not be seen dead in a VW ask me about my car simply because of the Ford badge (mine is usually the first one they have seen thanks to Fords delivery abilities - and Fords marketing means that usually they haven't heard of the Mondeo diesel.) It might not get 4 litres/100km or whatever those small euros get, but if it gets 6, or 7 or 8 then so what - those euro cars aren't its competition here in Australia. The people who will buy it are those who want the space it offers - equivalent to a Falcon - but with the Euro perks, and the fuel economy of at least a third less than the Falcon/Commodore/Borion alternatives.

Thats what I reckon anyway!
monkeyboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 PM   #36
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I did the run recently i na Mondeo XR5 Turbo Sydney to Melbourne Return and averaged 7.6L/100km on 95RON Premium. Included lots of roadwork and stops so not ideal (and I wasn't trying)

I'm doing it again at Easter in a Mondeo TDCi so I'll be able to compare.
Old 13-02-2008, 08:40 PM   #37
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy666
The thing about the Mondeo though compared to the Passat or whatever, is that it is a large car - and a Ford... I've had big boofy blokes who would not be seen dead in a VW ask me about my car simply because of the Ford badge (mine is usually the first one they have seen thanks to Fords delivery abilities - and Fords marketing means that usually they haven't heard of the Mondeo diesel.) It might not get 4 litres/100km or whatever those small euros get, but if it gets 6, or 7 or 8 then so what - those euro cars aren't its competition here in Australia. The people who will buy it are those who want the space it offers - equivalent to a Falcon - but with the Euro perks, and the fuel economy of at least a third less than the Falcon/Commodore/Borion alternatives.

Thats what I reckon anyway!
That doesn't make any sense at all? Because some Bogans don't know a world exists outside the Ford Falcon the Mondeo not being as efficient as the Passat 2.0 TDI, Peugeot 407 HDi, Mazda 6 MZR-CD etc etc is ok?

:
Old 13-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #38
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If it ends up outselling them then I'd say yes.
Old 13-02-2008, 11:00 PM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
If it ends up outselling them then I'd say yes.
That's the most horrible logic I've ever seen. :

:
Old 14-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #40
monkeyboy666

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense at all? Because some Bogans don't know a world exists outside the Ford Falcon the Mondeo not being as efficient as the Passat 2.0 TDI, Peugeot 407 HDi, Mazda 6 MZR-CD etc etc is ok?

Mate, thats not what I'm saying......

There is a market for a car the size of a Falcon or Commodore but with the fuel efficiency of a diesel - ie the TDCi Mondeo. Its not the fuel efficiency alone that will sell it to many people - its the fact that the Mondeo is a BIG CAR. Not a Golf size car - the fact that the Golf gets 2l/100km or whatever better fuel efficiency is irrelevant, its too small for many peoples needs.

When I was choosing a car, a Golf/Passat or Peugeot size car was not anywhere on my list. Understand that to many people fuel efficiency is not the only thing that goes into the decision making when buying a car. The fact that the TDCi does so well economically is a nice bonus, but not the sole reason for buying it.
Old 14-02-2008, 12:53 AM   #41
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Mate, thats not what I'm saying......

There is a market for a car the size of a Falcon or Commodore but with the fuel efficiency of a diesel - ie the TDCi Mondeo. Its not the fuel efficiency alone that will sell it to many people - its the fact that the Mondeo is a BIG CAR. Not a Golf size car - the fact that the Golf gets 2l/100km or whatever better fuel efficiency is irrelevant, its too small for many peoples needs.

When I was choosing a car, a Golf/Passat or Peugeot size car was not anywhere on my list. Understand that to many people fuel efficiency is not the only thing that goes into the decision making when buying a car. The fact that the TDCi does so well economically is a nice bonus, but not the sole reason for buying it.
Ok... here is a comparison of a few Mondeo TDCi competitors...

Ford Mondeo TDCi (sedan)
2.0litre DOHC 16-valve Turbodiesel
96kW @ 4000rpm
320Nm @ 1750-2240rpm
Length: 4844mm
Width: 1886mm
Height: 1500mm
Wheelbase: 2850mm
Front Track: 1579mm
Rear Track: 1595mm
Weight: 1604kg

Mazda 6 MZR-CD (hatch, no sedan variant, hatch or wagon)
2.0litre SOHC 16-valve Turbodiesel
105kW @ 3500rpm
360Nm @ 2000rpm
Length: 4670mm
Width: 1780mm
Height: 1435mm
Wheelbase: 2675mm
Front Track: 1540mm
Rear Track: 1540mm
Weight: 1500kg

Peugeot 407 HDi (sedan)
100kW @ 4000rpm
320Nm @ 2000rpm
Length: 4676mm
Width: 1711mm
Height: 1455mm
Wheelbase: 2725mm
Front Track: 1554mm
Rear Track: 1510mm
Weight: 1732kg

Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI (sedan)
103kW @ 4000rpm
320Nm @ 1750-2500rpm
Length: 4765mm
Width: 1820mm
Height: 1472mm
Wheelbase: 2709mm
Front Track: 1552mm
Rear Track: 1551mm
Weight: 1587kg

So we have a few cars that are roughly the same size. The Mondeo is the least powerful and second heaviest, and is the cheapest by $100 ($37,990 for it, $38,090 for the 6). How exactly is it something unique in the market that the others aren't?

Its the thirstiest, has the dirtiest emissions (grams per kilometre of Carbon Dioxide - 193 Mondeo, 189 407, 178 Passat, 160 6 MZR-CD) and is close with the 6 for the least well equipped.

If you look up interior dimensions, like headroom and legroom dimensions, they're all very close to each other, within 20mm (2cm) most of the time.

I really like the Mondeo, but realistically the only things really going for it in this fight are that its the cheapest and that it has a very, very, very nice interior...

Prices are... by the way, in order...

Mondeo TDCi - $37,990
6 MZR-CD - $38,090
Passat 2.0 TDI 103kW - $42,490
407 HDi - $45,190

For $200 less then a HDi, you can get the Passat 2.0 TDI 125kW ($44,990) which in my opinion trumps this entire class...

125kW @ 4200rpm, 350Nm @ 1750-2500rpm and near identical economy to the 103kW version.

From that last post of yours, the only vibe I got from it was you hinting at the Mondeo being big, and the rest being small? In actuality, they're all the same size car, they're all direct competitors.

By the way, on a world market level, the Passat outsells the rest of these cars by miles.

Slightly OT...

Just did some reading on the Mondeo 2.2 TDCi... 155bhp (116kW), 265ftlbs (359Nm) and 58 mpg (4.05L/100km)! Yes please!

:
Old 14-02-2008, 06:37 AM   #42
monkeyboy666

Smile

Quote:
For $200 less then a HDi, you can get the Passat 2.0 TDI 125kW ($44,990) which in my opinion trumps this entire class...
Oh Steffo mate, You've found us out - we on this forum are bogans who should have bought a Passat!

But please don't blame us. We were fooled into the decision by those incompetent motoring writers from Wheels, drive,com.au, the NRMA, Which Car(UK) and a few others who all stupidly awarded the Mondeo Car of the Year in its category in their various car of the year selections last year - when its actually the worst car in its class...

Oh Steffo, where were you back in November when I was looking for a car....?

But as you say, at least my car has a really nice interior!
Old 14-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #43
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Oh Steffo mate, You've found us out - we on this forum are bogans who should have bought a Passat!

But please don't blame us. We were fooled into the decision by those incompetent motoring writers from Wheels, drive,com.au, the NRMA, Which Car(UK) and a few others who all stupidly awarded the Mondeo Car of the Year in its category in their various car of the year selections last year - when its actually the worst car in its class...

Oh Steffo, where were you back in November when I was looking for a car....?

But as you say, at least my car has a really nice interior!
I never said the Mondeo is bad, I like the thing! It just seems that you were saying that its best merit was that it was apparantley a fair bit larger then everything else, which isn't really the case.

As far as buying a car to daily drive as a long termer, the Mondeo is difficult to fault. Anything in this class is difficult to fault, you can't really go wrong with any of them.

And yeah...

How can anyone not love that interior!

:
Old 14-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #44
Turbodiesel
Torquer

You don't get a 6 speed auto in any of those other cars at that price, the Mazda 6 is more expensive and doesn't have the same equipment level.

To all you Mondeo owners on this thread you all bought the right car which I'm sure you all know.

If I had to pick between the above, it would be a no brainer
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 01:01 AM   #45
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

Pick up our Panther Black Mondeo XR5 next Saturday : Lowered springs 30mm drop are on the way from Europe via DHL and will be fitted by the dealer and air box mod is in the same box as the springs.

FPV sunroof being fitted now and window tint and rust proofing late next week

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
perthxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 10:13 PM   #46
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthxr6t
Pick up our Panther Black Mondeo XR5 next Saturday : Lowered springs 30mm drop are on the way from Europe via DHL and will be fitted by the dealer and air box mod is in the same box as the springs.

FPV sunroof being fitted now and window tint and rust proofing late next week
Congrats mate!

Im picking up my XR5 mondeo on Monday

Any chance you can post up how the lowering goes? I want to do mine asap, but have heard it MAY interfere with the stability control?...

I myself cant really see how it would, as many other cars get lowered without a problem, but would like to get some feedback from an aussie.

Anyway, enjoy your new car!
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #47
monkeyboy666

Quote:
I never said the Mondeo is bad, I like the thing!
Come over to the dark side Steffo - you know you want one!

(but just make sure the windows are up before you hit the window washers or else that nice interior gets amazingly wet and covered in foam! I've never had a car before like it for the way the water charges across the windscreen, straight into the windows and down the doors. If you haven't tried it yet, don't without a towel handy!)
Old 16-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #48
jared79
Sock Puppets

Hold on, I thought this was a discussion between the TDCi and the XR5, since when did this become VWforums.com.au

So Steffo, some of the specs may be a little better than the mondeo. BUT, how does it drive? My Falcon had a bigger and more powerful engine, but it drove like crap. Specs are not everything you know and as Monkeyboy said, the Mondeo is winning awards left, right and centre. The car review guys say it handles better than some BMW's at twice the price. Did they say that about the Passat? Nope.

Oh yeah, I reckon if I had a Passat, i wouldn't have had people coming up to me and asking me about my car. The Mondeo is hot and I wouldn't trade it for Passat ever. Even if it does have more power. Oh and plus, it's a Ford. Game over.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 04:30 AM   #49
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Come over to the dark side Steffo - you know you want one!

(but just make sure the windows are up before you hit the window washers or else that nice interior gets amazingly wet and covered in foam! I've never had a car before like it for the way the water charges across the windscreen, straight into the windows and down the doors. If you haven't tried it yet, don't without a towel handy!)
I have been entertaining the thought of a Mondeo XR5 with some bolt ons in a few months time... its on about a 10-car long list of possiblities.

LOL @ those window washers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared79
So Steffo, some of the specs may be a little better than the mondeo. BUT, how does it drive? My Falcon had a bigger and more powerful engine, but it drove like crap. Specs are not everything you know and as Monkeyboy said, the Mondeo is winning awards left, right and centre. The car review guys say it handles better than some BMW's at twice the price. Did they say that about the Passat? Nope.

Oh yeah, I reckon if I had a Passat, i wouldn't have had people coming up to me and asking me about my car. The Mondeo is hot and I wouldn't trade it for Passat ever. Even if it does have more power. Oh and plus, it's a Ford. Game over.
The Passat may not be winning dinky motoring awards, but its winning where it counts, the sales race. The global sales of the Passat absolutley slaughter the Mondeo mercilessly and is the 9th most sold vehicle of all time, on a list the Mondeo and most of their rivals are absent from... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cle_nameplates/

I like my Fords, and I like the Mondeo, but I'm also realistic. You make a point of it being a Ford, which means in a few years it won't be worth anything, like everything with a Ford or Holden badge, regardless of country of origin... and that it will more likely then not lead a life twice as short as a Passat will.

**PS - I really like the Mondeo and am in no way trying to bag it, merely pointing out what I believe to be the case as far as cars in this class go... that being, Passat #1, Mondeo #2, Mazda 6 #3, 407 #4 as an overall package (talking about the Diesels here, not the petrol or performance models)**

:
Old 16-02-2008, 10:24 AM   #50
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Passat may not be winning dinky motoring awards, but its winning where it counts, the sales race. The global sales of the Passat absolutley slaughter the Mondeo mercilessly and is the 9th most sold vehicle of all time, on a list the Mondeo and most of their rivals are absent from... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...cle_nameplates/
Think you should quote how many vehicles per year average have been sold... Passat name plate has been around for a VERY long time, Try 1973. Mondeo only since 1993...

Come back to us when you have a yearly average comparison...

Maybe just keep that number to Europe... so you can compare apples with apples, as both nameplates have been around in the EU for the entire time.

Or if its too much trouble... keep the passat out of the argument. Yes, it has sold lots, yes, it has more power, YES, it is a LOT more expensive, for a similar or lower speced vehicle, which according to many, doesnt handle as good. I havnt driven mondeo, so cant say...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #51
GRT046
Mondeo TDCi

I recently started another thread thinking that a four car comparison did not fit on a TDCi vs TX5 thread but as the discussion is continuing on this thread thought I would repost here.

I have recently upgraded to a TDCi and that decision was made after test driving and comparing the following:

Peugeot 407 Diesel Wagon
Mazda 6 Classic Hatch (Petrol)
VW Passat Diesel Wagon
Mondeo TDCi hatch

I have a particular need to carry large items which limited me to either a hatch or wagon meeting the critical dimensions.

Summarising my experiences:

Peugeot: Stylish car with very long bonnet, difficult to judge the extremities, cramped rear seat area, seemed to hesitate from standing start, too small to fit gear (length) VERY EXPENSIVE

Mazda: Petrol version driven. great drive but now a little dated, Auto not available with diesel, too small to fit gear. No diesel available in about to be released new model.

Passat: Great car with very good driving performance. Size OK. Too expensive as a family member has recently purchased the base model with premium paint and payed $7,500 more than I did for the TDCi with leather, sunroof, bluetooth and euro plates. Also waited 6 months for delivery.

Mondeo: The best drive of the lot and really looks the goods, largest in almost all dimensions, best value for money by a long way. While it is a little less economical than the Passat that is not a deal breaker in my view. The fact that it has been in the top three in almost all "Car of the year" awards both here and overseas speaks volumes.

My decision was easy ............. except for the colour
Sunroof
GRT046 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #52
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Think you should quote how many vehicles per year average have been sold... Passat name plate has been around for a VERY long time, Try 1973. Mondeo only since 1993...

Come back to us when you have a yearly average comparison...

Maybe just keep that number to Europe... so you can compare apples with apples, as both nameplates have been around in the EU for the entire time.

Or if its too much trouble... keep the passat out of the argument. Yes, it has sold lots, yes, it has more power, YES, it is a LOT more expensive, for a similar or lower speced vehicle, which according to many, doesnt handle as good. I havnt driven mondeo, so cant say...
The 1991-Present Renault Clio manages to be 20th at 8,535,280 cars.
The 1991-Present Opel Astra manages to be 24th at 7,000,000 cars.
The 1993-Present Fiat Punto manages to be 27th at 6,000,000 cars.
The 1991-Present Ford Explorer manages to be 31st at 5,500,000 cars.
The 1998-2006 Peugeot 206 manages to be 34th at 5,400,000 cars in a single generation.
The 1998-Present Ford Focus manages to be 36th at 5,000,000 cars.
The 1996-Present Honda CR-V manages to be 63rd with 2,500,000 cars.
The 1993-Present Renault Twingo manages to be 68th with 2,400,000 cars.
The 1990-Present Nissan Primera manages to be 83rd with 1,302,401 cars.
The 1995-2004 Volvo S40/V40 manages to be 91st with 1,000,034 cars in a single generation.
The 2003-Present Mazda Axela (aka Mazda 3) manages to be 93rd with 1,000,000 cars.
The 2002-Present Mazda 6 manages to be 94th with 1,000,000 cars.
The 1991-Present Hyundai Elantra manages to be 96th with 1,000,000 cars.

Somehow, I see no Mondeo on the list?

By the way, the base model Passat TDI is better equipped then the base-spec Mondeo TDCi. Kind of expected for the $4500 premium, no?

:
Old 16-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #53
ajay1940

Quote:

The Passat may not be winning dinky motoring awards, but its winning where it counts, the sales race. The global sales of the Passat absolutley slaughter the Mondeo
I think your figures might be skewed by the fact that Ford only have one production line for the Mondeo and clearly could sell many more than they do. The delivery time is blowing out daily.
Some examples: Denmark, up to 12 months
Serbia, 7 months min.
UK, 4 months
Belgium, 5 months (and that's where they are made!)
ajay1940 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #54
TheColonel

Ford actually have two production lines for the Mondeo, the Chinese Mondeo is made in China and services that market... there are some differences in production of the chinese Mondeo like led tail lights and a few other things....
http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/show...d/765115/tp/1/

Last edited by TheColonel; 16-02-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Linkage
TheColonel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #55
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColonel
Ford actually have two production lines for the Mondeo, the Chinese Mondeo is made in China and services that market... there are some differences in production of the chinese Mondeo like led tail lights and a few other things....
http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/show...d/765115/tp/1/
One would wonder if that version has the same level of build quality as the European one...

:
Old 16-02-2008, 05:15 PM   #56
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The 1998-2006 Peugeot 206 manages to be 34th at 5,400,000 cars in a single generation.
The 1995-2004 Volvo S40/V40 manages to be 91st with 1,000,034 cars in a single generation.
The 2003-Present Mazda Axela (aka Mazda 3) manages to be 93rd with 1,000,000 cars.

By the way, the base model Passat TDI is better equipped then the base-spec Mondeo TDCi. Kind of expected for the $4500 premium, no?
Might need to rethink your trust in Wikipedia........ Looks like Mondeo has sold over 4million units since conception, unsure if thats just europe.... But, its still more than 4 million. Unsure also if it was sold anywhere apart from Europe and some other very small RHD markets as well.... although it may well have been sold in other markets under a different name....

Link
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #57
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Your list is wrong
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #58
RATT
In a Pug..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRT046
I recently started another thread thinking that a four car comparison did not fit on a TDCi vs TX5 thread but as the discussion is continuing on this thread thought I would repost here.

I have recently upgraded to a TDCi and that decision was made after test driving and comparing the following:

Peugeot 407 Diesel Wagon
Mazda 6 Classic Hatch (Petrol)
VW Passat Diesel Wagon
Mondeo TDCi hatch

I have a particular need to carry large items which limited me to either a hatch or wagon meeting the critical dimensions.

Summarising my experiences:

Peugeot: Stylish car with very long bonnet, difficult to judge the extremities, cramped rear seat area, seemed to hesitate from standing start, too small to fit gear (length) VERY EXPENSIVE

Mazda: Petrol version driven. great drive but now a little dated, Auto not available with diesel, too small to fit gear. No diesel available in about to be released new model.

Passat: Great car with very good driving performance. Size OK. Too expensive as a family member has recently purchased the base model with premium paint and payed $7,500 more than I did for the TDCi with leather, sunroof, bluetooth and euro plates. Also waited 6 months for delivery.

Mondeo: The best drive of the lot and really looks the goods, largest in almost all dimensions, best value for money by a long way. While it is a little less economical than the Passat that is not a deal breaker in my view. The fact that it has been in the top three in almost all "Car of the year" awards both here and overseas speaks volumes.

My decision was easy ............. except for the colour
That was the best way to do it. Price them and drive them all. Mondeo was always going to be one of the better drives.
RATT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #59
monkeyboy666

Quote:

I like my Fords, and I like the Mondeo, but I'm also realistic. You make a point of it being a Ford, which means in a few years it won't be worth anything, like everything with a Ford or Holden badge, regardless of country of origin... and that it will more likely then not lead a life twice as short as a Passat will.

**PS - I really like the Mondeo and am in no way trying to bag it, merely pointing out what I believe to be the case as far as cars in this class go... that being, Passat #1, Mondeo #2, Mazda 6 #3, 407 #4 as an overall package (talking about the Diesels here, not the petrol or performance models)**

Hey, I'm not sinking the boot in or anything Steffo - hats off to you for coming onto a forum full of Mondeo owners and criticising it!

But I just wanted to stick this up, its a review of the Passat you like so much. Yes, I know its by Jeremy Clarkson and cos its not a British car he bags it like anything, but its a funny read if nothing else!

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol...icle549422.ece

(hmm, memo to myself.. maybe I should first check his review of the Mondeo before Steffo finds it and waves it in my face....
Old 17-02-2008, 02:34 AM   #60
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
Your list is wrong
Its not "my," list. It doesn't belong to me, nor did I make it. Its a list I found and cited.

: