Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #121
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
The 1.6 VTEC Civics are not fast. With a 0-100 time of 7.3s and 1/4 time of 15.8 when new..
you are either rasist or just plain clueless? For a base car (It not a type-R im guessing) 15.8 1/4 mile times are repectable for a 1.6l car....

My mate just bought him self a VTEC Civic, and it has got some get up and go, its not a slow car at all.

Although i suppose you're the "Expert" who knows everything.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 08-06-2008, 04:41 PM   #122
Darthur
2003 BA XT Mercury Silver

According to my female friend who usually hates Fords, my car is a chick magnet. So I'm glad he got a falcon lol
Old 08-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #123
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Dilemma solved.. AND he's come around to the Blue Oval way!!
VERY neat XR with low K's!...
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...0000&Make=FORD
Nice. 1st thing to do when he gets it home is to swap out this hideous tail lights. :ymca:
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #124
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Dilemma solved.. AND he's come around to the Blue Oval way!!
VERY neat XR with low K's!...
http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars...0000&Make=FORD

Cheaper than a Cusso, Starry or Mainline, (one in good nick, that is)!
Nice car though, he'll be happy with it.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #125
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Nice. 1st thing to do when he gets it home is to swap out this hideous tail lights. :ymca:
Agree...
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 PM   #126
TERRY TORRY

: My first car was a 1956 Morris Minor 4 Door Sedan and I still love it even though it is long gone. It was fantastic to get to know how to drive although I was driving from the time my feet couldn't reach the pedals. I reckon I'd driven at least a couple of thousand MILES before I got my licence and they had the hide to make me pay for a learner's permit before they took me for the driving test which I PASSED first time. I could not recommend a better car in this day and age than a MORRIS MINOR - NOT the 1,000 and NOT a Goggomobile -for a first car and yes I met My Future wife in the MORRIS MINOR and we are still happly married after 39 years. So if it is your 1st car Choose your mate carefully. Terry Torry. :
Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #127
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Thats in great condition, if only i was so lucky at his age !

My apprentice is 19 and looking for his first ute, he wanted an 2003 Commodore 6cylinder ute.
After telling him he's basically buying an 88 model (VN in drag) and the joys of LPG he just put a deposit on a BA Egas ute, another one converted.

Threatening to use him as a target for nail gun practice may/may not have helped sway him.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #128
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Thats in great condition, if only i was so lucky at his age !

My apprentice is 19 and looking for his first ute, he wanted an 2003 Commodore 6cylinder ute.
After telling him he's basically buying an 88 model (VN in drag) and the joys of LPG he just put a deposit on a BA Egas ute, another one converted.

Threatening to use him as a target for nail gun practice may/may not have helped sway him.
Yep.. At his age my "firsty" was an EH panel van for the princely sum of $425! ..
Hopefully, forking out so much of his hard earned savings will give him some appreciation of the XR?.. Maybe even a new prospective on AFF?
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #129
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

As a sideline... In our hunt we also came across a marroon 30th anniv EA from a deceased estate with a genuine 67,000ks. This car was unbelievable for 17yrs old. Had just had 4 new tyres fitted because the originals were PERISHED (not worn out) Maybe a little pricey at $5500?.. But considering it's condition, I thought a great buy.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:33 PM   #130
Jesk
certified nutter

well my first was a suzi swift 3 cylinder 993cc that i paid cash for so it was all mine! (only 22 now so still not that long ago) and living out in the country I'd always get "oh you got the girlfriends car?" but even at school I could afford to drive it wherever I felt like, not scraping like some of my mates with their large 8's and 6's just to keep it off the fuel light. still love my little cars loads of fun at legal speeds!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:34 PM   #131
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Mate that is an awesome buy there. He's a very lucky 18 year old. My first car was an old (first gen) Excel 5 speed. I wish I had of had one of these instead.

I hope it's as reliable for him as my Fords have been for me.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #132
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

thats a sensational buy! i started off with a Toyota Corona CS-X at 17, Forte at 18 (still have) and now at 22 my very own 301rwkw TE50. As long as he looks after the XR6 and starts saving again, there's no reason why he cant upgrade in the near future.

Again, great buy!
Old 25-03-2013, 12:39 AM   #133
fordfreak

Default Re: 18yr old son's 1st car??

Good buy...how did he go? I hope he jumped on some ford forums (fordforums.com and fordmods.com) and see some box cars (EA-ED) done up...then he'll love it to death, do some little mods and it would be really cool.

Some people in this thread recommended letting him spend the money on what he wants and find the hard way...... X no thats not a good idea, especially as your the father - don't let him waste it.

a) He may never that amount of cash again When he gets older he would be kicking himself...
b) It would have been unfair on him

Tell him theres life after P plates.... hehe. Some nice second hand turbo's and v8 out there...but thats just a suggestion.
Old 25-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #134
IceValk85
MY2010 SV6 SIDI -Black-

25k will get you into a late 2010 SIDI SV6 commodore easily, but the smart money is to find a 2011 SERIES 2 SIDI, with the much better and more up to date interior.

theres one here at a dealer in tville, 2011 sv6 sii manual (unusual) sedan for 28990 drive away. bit of haggling you might get it for 26k.

key with current commodores is to get one under factory warranty still to iron out any potential short term issues.

also keep in mind with a ve the resale value will plumet like a rock when the vf comes out end of the year.

ice
Old 25-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #135
fordfreak

haha this guy is probably about 22 now.....I wonder what he has now?
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #136
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Mate he will be driving a XR6T or F6.

And IceValk85 V6 commodores offer no excitement. I know I drive one at work.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
Old 25-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #137
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow thread coming up to 5 years now.
Closed Thread