Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up 1936 FORD Stainless Steel Car

In 1935, officials at Allegheny Ludlum Steel Division and the Ford Motor Company collaborated on an experiment that would become a legacy and a tribute to one of the most dynamic metals ever developed.

Allegheny Ludlum, a pioneer producer of stainless steel, proposed the idea of creating a stainless steel car to Ford. The idea took shape in the form of a 1936 Deluxe Sedan. That car became the centerpiece of a campaign to expose the public to the new metal and its many uses.

Stainless Steel Car Allegheny Ludlum and Ford would later collaborate on two more stainless models, a 1960 Thunderbird and a 1967 Lincoln Continental Convertible. Of the 11 cars originally built, nine are still in use.

The stainless steel cars were perfect vehicles for increasing awareness of the quality of the metal. And over the years, this quality has been shown in its stainless performance.

Of the six stainless steel cars that rolled off the Ford assembly line in Detroit in 1936, four exist today as living proof of the durability of stainless steel. One is on display at the Heinz Regional History Center in Pittsburgh, PA.

Each of the original six logged at least 200,000 miles in the hands of Allegheny Ludlum officials before "retiring" to private ownership in 1946. Thousands of additional miles have been logged on the odometers since, and the shiny bodies have outlasted most of their non-stainless steel parts.

The experiment was an unparalleled success on a number of levels. Public awareness of stainless steel's many uses increased with every city and stainless steel car
state the cars visited. Through many years of active use, metallurgists and engineers were amazed at the superiority of the silvery metal.

Since 1960, when two stainless steel Ford Thunderbirds were introduced, they have been displayed throughout the United States and Europe.

The two Thunderbirds came off the Wixom, Michigan production line on July 11, 1960, and each has traveled over 100,000 miles, demonstrating the durability and timeless beauty of stainless steel.

With the exception of the body skin, bumpers and grille, which are made of T302 stainless steel, every other component is standard 1960 Thunderbird equipment. Also included is the first T409 solid stainless steel muffler released on a production vehicle. Both cars still have their original mufflers and T304 exhaust pipes after 25 years on the road!

stainless steel cars The 1967 Lincoln Convertible was the last of the stainless steel cars produced by the Ford Motor Company and Allegheny Ludlum Steel.
Once again, the companies proved that stainless steel's enduring beauty is matched by its toughness.

As with all stainless steel there is no need for painting. The corrosion-resistant properties of the stainless eliminate the problems caused by rust.

Except for the vehicle's body, all other parts and equipment on the car are standard for the 1967 Lincoln Convertible. The vehicle's weight is just about equal to one with a standard steel body.

Three stainless Lincolns were built that year. Allegheny Ludlum Steel retains two and still uses them for customer visits and special events. A full set of Stainless automobiles (1936 Deluxe, T-Bird, and Continental) are on permanent display in the Crawford Auto Museum in Cleveland, Ohio.

Old 04-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it would be a nice option if your planning to keep the car for many years,
tick .1 stainless body
.2 stainless exhaust
.3 Falcon inline 6
.4 injected gas system
= top car.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
lostdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
tick .1 stainless body
.2 stainless exhaust
.3 Falcon inline 6
.4 injected gas system
= top car.
if that stainless steel is anything like our fridge , its boring and we can't keep the finger prints away
Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

I'm sure this has aready been posted
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Has been posted before, still cool though.

For mental old skool american muscle, i still prefer the Chrysler Turbine Car. They actually allowed the public to lease them.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Wow, the Crawford Auto Museum is about 30 minutes from my house. I didn't know they had those stainless steel cars there though. More incentive to go there and check the place out.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #7
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Has been posted before, still cool though.

For mental old skool american muscle, i still prefer the Chrysler Turbine Car. They actually allowed the public to lease them.

You and me both. These would have been a great car if Chrysler continued to develop them. Not only that, Chrysler aren't embarrassed about them, and gave parts to people who bought the cars and wanted to get them back on the road. Try Getting GM to do that with the EV-1.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2009, 04:12 PM   #8
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Looks like a monopoly car! ;-)
Old 04-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Here is the Allegheny Ludlum Steel website. They also did a few other cars.

http://www.alleghenyludlum.com/pages...inlesscars.asp

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

What a Ford that doesn't rust???

I call BS. lol
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 11:09 AM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
tick .1 stainless body
.2 stainless exhaust
.3 Falcon inline 6
.4 injected gas system
= top car.
The DMC DeLorean was made from stainless steel.

Luckily the Chinese haven't started to make cars from stainless steel, cause they'd be rusty the first time it rained due to the special properties of chinese stainless steel.

Anyone who's bought Chinese "stainless steel" utensils will know what i'm talking about.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
SVD

god would i love a DeLorean... oh well, one day...one day.
SVD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
jcxr
Tribal Elder

You would want to be wearing your sunnies when driving it!
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post