Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 30-08-2006, 04:33 PM   #1
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Default Another tyre thread.... lol

hey guys time for another tyre thread.....ive been looking for a tyre that has 205/40 R17... anyway bobjane want
toyo proxies 170 each - not in stock for 4 weeks.
maxxis - 150 each
Nexxan-140 each
tornado-110 each

i called Tyrepower as well and got quoted
BCT's 98 each
Toyo's proxies 145 each....

my only other option is nankangs for 110 at tempe....... so gimmiw what you got... im only looking at spending 500 roughly

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got BFG G-Force Sports in 205/40R17........wont ever be buying them again though, handlings garbage......"I want my Conti's back!!"...... :
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Here we go again, I play with tyres all day everyday, so I'll just enjoy others thoughts.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
Here we go again, I play with tyres all day everyday, so I'll just enjoy others thoughts.
LOL....thought you would enjoy Scarybear....sit back, grab a cold one and have a laugh mate.... :
Old 30-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the Maxxis tyres rated well in the last Motor test. Apart from the Toyos the other are all bottom rung type tyres aren't they (ie. the type you buy when you just want "tyres"?)

Maxxis would be worth a try IMHO.
Old 30-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I must be getting old. Unless it is a Dunlop, Goodyear, Yokohama, Sumitomo, Michelin, Goodrich, Bridgestone, or Pirelli, I don't even look at them.

Am I missing something? I always think the others are cheap crappy Chinese or Korean tyres.

(Guys, thanks for letting me post on the Fez forum. Focus threads have got boring lately!!!)
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
Danny
GT4.

Personally, I wouldnt go anywhere near Nankang, Kelly, Maxxis, Nexxen, Ventus, or any other tyre thats part of the (Cheap n' Nasty ticket into the 17" wheels tyres) family.

I think you fellas know what tyre I HIGHLY reccomend.

Do it: Go the Toyo Proxes 4
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:33 PM   #8
nitroman
nitroman

I have been selling heaps of Maxxis tyres through the Ford dealer that I work at. The MAZ1 pattern works really well. Very quiet and great grip and wear. They represent very good value. The feedback from customers has been very positive too.
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I think you fellas know what tyre I HIGHLY reccomend.

Do it: Go the Toyo Proxes 4
That's exactly what I'll be doing just as soon as I can wear the BFG's out!!
Old 30-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #10
simonr
Focus Rookie

http://planetsoarer.com/06tyre/index.htm

thats the wheels review...

I was in the market for some tyres a couple of weeks ago but i dont have the money anymore..

Michelen PP2s looks the ****..
the rest of the good ones are WAY to exxy..
the proxies look good for the money.. might be an option for me!..

gotta hate nangkangs!!
Old 30-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

at the moment i thnk i will get some BCT's for 98 each.. i just need tyres atm... will save up more for better ones in 6 months

Old 31-08-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

In all honesty i dont think the Nankangs are rubbish. Ok they are nothing compared to the other more well know tyres, but they are a great all rounder tyre for peeps on a budget. I myself was only looking for cheep tyres just to get me from A to B (mainly for work) and wasnt after something that would be the best tyre around twisties and cost the world.

Ive had the nankangs for nearly one year maybe 18000 kms and they have not skipped a beat. The only hickup i had was moderate lose of traction on a certain corner on macquarie pass where i could have ended up over the cliff. This proved to me that the kangs are not all that in tight corners punching 70kmph around a hair pin, but in a straight line for everyday driving they are excellent.

When its time to change tyres, i will definitly not be getting the kangs again because i want to try something different not because i have no faith in the tyres. I think i might go the f1s after driving on them for one day.
Old 31-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

yahuh exactly what i was going to do sort of thing.... i was going to get new tyres in about 6 months and keep the BCT's as replacements. for when i get a blow out or something. just need tyres atm....and im sure ill handle Mac Pass fine.....im not gonig to be punching it through any Hairpins.....DAMO!!!

hmmm maybee Toyo's.....not sure have to see how the repair of the car goes 1st...

Old 31-08-2006, 01:26 PM   #14
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Another tyre thread

Well to be honest i dont know what the problem is with the white fiesta owner with BFG's

I find mine (in 16inch size) to be absolutely glorious.

Im only guessing the quality and driving characteristics of the tyre must change from size to size.

Photn if you were looking for 16's i know what i would suggest. But we are talking 17inch here.

My only only advice is... tyres are the only thing connecting your car, to that corner you are going through. You get what you pay for. Buy good tyres, the first time.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #15
photn
AFF Post NAZI

thanks mitch.... luckily due to the cost of my repair going down i will be getting the toyo's ill take danny's advice... Oh and danny they better perform welll lol....thanks guys.... heaps of help... really greatfull

Old 31-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #16
JD2004

im sure they perform well, as i will be getting some fairly soon.. life has changed i have more money now. :(
Old 31-08-2006, 06:23 PM   #17
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Well to be honest i dont know what the problem is with the white fiesta owner with BFG's

There is absolutely no problem whatsoever with the "white fiesta owner with BFG's", the owner tried em and their garbage, luckily tyres wear out and I understand the owner wont be going near them again..........I believe as you have pointed out that particular owner has 17's, you on the other hand have 16's........but then do we really need to revisit that "other" thread?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=60206
Old 31-08-2006, 06:46 PM   #18
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Everyone has different ideas about tyres, what pressure to run, how they should feel etc. etc. the big thing at the moment seems to be the "Independant" tyre tests, after attending a couple, beleive me when I say they are not as independant as you would think.
My suggestion is to take others advice, but ultimatly its up to you, and like Rob assess the tyres as YOU see them, how they work on YOUR car, then if your not happy learn from it and move along. Don't rubbish some of the cheaper brands because you've never heard of them or where thier made, some of them have actually been around for a fairly long time, just not in Australia, we're just a blip on the world market and theres a whole lot of **** out there that we never see. Also even some of the big name tyres don't work because of Australias unique conditions.
Anyway thats my 2 cents, I just hope I get more customers with Robs attitude, it'd make my life a little easier.

Old 31-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #19
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm guessing here- but you didn't have the Continentals before hand to compare them too? Also the size difference between 16 + 17", plus tyre width/ profile will make a lot of difference...

IMHO there are a lot of half decent cheap tyres out there- certainly compared to about ten years ago. I put some Sava Intensa 195/50VR15 tyres on the wife's Excel a couple of years back ($95 ea fitted). I never expected much from them after having Dunlop Lemans LM701's, but have been really happy with them- they've got decent grip in the wet and dry- and are predictable. The sidewalls are softer meaning slightly wooly steering repsonse compared to the Dunlops, but they were $50 per tyre cheaper.
Old 31-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #20
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
There is absolutely no problem whatsoever with the "white fiesta owner with BFG's", the owner tried em and their garbage, luckily tyres wear out and I understand the owner wont be going near them again..........I believe as you have pointed out that particular owner has 17's, you on the other hand have 16's........but then do we really need to revisit that "other" thread?

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=60206

LoL just to clear this up. I was in a hurry when i posted. and i forgot who you were. but i knew your avatar was of a white fiesta!

Wasnt giving attitude or suggesting something was wrong with you. came out wrong didnt it
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 31-08-2006, 11:07 PM   #21
simonr
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scareybear
the big thing at the moment seems to be the "Independant" tyre tests, after attending a couple, beleive me when I say they are not as independant as you would think.

I think you might be right..

I was gonna buy based on that wheels review but how credible is wheels mag?

I think the tyre companies pay there way into these magazine reviews. whether it be money or freebies or whateva..

i think just ask the experts like Scareybear
Old 31-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #22
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonr
I think you might be right..

I was gonna buy based on that wheels review but how credible is wheels mag?

I think the tyre companies pay there way into these magazine reviews. whether it be money or freebies or whateva..

i think just ask the experts like Scareybear
DING! But also remember to do your homework, try to sift through the bull **** some places will try to feed you.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:35 AM   #23
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LoL just to clear this up. I was in a hurry when i posted. and i forgot who you were. but i knew your avatar was of a white fiesta!

Wasnt giving attitude or suggesting something was wrong with you. came out wrong didnt it
No worries mate.........I think perhaps I was a bit touchy at the time I read ya post thats all, I have to deal with complete clowns all day at work etc, apologies.... :
Old 01-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #24
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
:
now thats creepy........i dont trust the media at all. never buy something that has a great review from any mag, due to the fact that someone's opionion or preference even though such things like the independant tyre test.. there would have been bias from someone who has had a good experience with a certain tyre...or what they expect from the tyre may not match up to what they get....also different road quiality's, where i live there isnt neccesarily smooth road....think parramatta road near granville....excpet with out street signs, road markers, gutter, and i nearly forgot.....except the tar..... there are more pot holes in my area than there are on the moon.....
traction = nearly imposible.....there are sum parrts that are respectable.....but really its horrible....

Old 01-09-2006, 11:52 AM   #25
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
now thats creepy......
"Oh No!!".......after a second glance it's starting to put the chills up me too......double apologies Mitch....."hang on, I'll try again"...... :
Old 01-09-2006, 11:55 AM   #26
photn
AFF Post NAZI

thats better rob lol.... was starting to concern me there lol.....

Old 01-09-2006, 01:26 PM   #27
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone has different driving styles and expectations of tyres. You other peoples experiences as a guide only chance are you will follow the norm but it is very possible you will not like a tyre that is rated well.

But next time when you post your opinion on a tyre can you explain why you have those feelings? Just say these tyres are ****e isn't very helpfull.

One thing to remember is that a tyres grip (dry, straightline) if directly related to treadwear. The nankangs are decent tyres is this department becuase with a rating of 200 they are reasonably soft.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2006, 01:20 AM   #28
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Tyres

Rob...

Loads of fun :
Old 04-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #29
joshf2
striped

i wouldnt say that a treadwear rating of 200 is reasonably soft, but then again, i really wonder about how they get these numbers.

the OEM turanza ER30's that come std on the 15" rims have a treadwear of only 140, and yet can last over 15,000km's. semi slick falken RT215's have a treadwear of 180 and i got less than 5,000km's out of them.
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2006, 08:22 PM   #30
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rob...
Mitch... :