Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 05-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tyre issue

As I got home today, I noticed that my car was driving strangly so I decided to take a look at the tyres and on the right rear I noticed something strange. I took some quick spans with the phone.

What do you guys reckon it is and whats happening to the tyre.

Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
joshf2
striped

have you exceeded the speed rating of the tyre?? ;)
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #3
Mal
My EB2XR8

Sidewall damage. Looks like it has a small cut in front of it. You've hit something that's staked it, or someone has had a go at it. It could have been a manufacturing fault, but it looks like that cut may have something to do with it. Basically it's weakened it and the air is buldging out causing the bump. It'll be handling poorly because it's unbalanced I would suggest. Replace it. It might do nothing, or it might split, heat up and blow out causing you to end up somewhere you don't want to be. Officially I would call it unroadworthy as it is.

Guestimates from looking at the photos anyway. I could be wrong, but. Hope it helps.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
MAD
Petro-sexual

I'd say your issue with handling is that someone has driven quite hard into a gutter, or pothole and put your alignment well out of whack. The damage to the sidewall is the other result of the hit, but not the cause of the bad handling.
Old 05-09-2005, 07:33 PM   #5
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

I think Cypher had the same problem.... or similar with the side wall.....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #6
joshf2
striped

glad to be getting rid of mine asap
Old 05-09-2005, 07:57 PM   #7
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am the only one that drives the car and I can safetly say there as been NO hit's into gutters or potholes. The only thing I can think of if I glanced a round about but it was very softly.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
I am the only one that drives the car and I can safetly say there as been NO hit's into gutters or potholes. The only thing I can think of if I glanced a round about but it was very softly.
LOL, if you remember doing that.... it was probably the cause..... The fiesta was made for corners.... next time, go AROUND the roundabout

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)

Last edited by Teki04; 05-09-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:15 PM   #9
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
have you exceeded the speed rating of the tyre?? ;)
What?? in those little cars ...
Flamesuit on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #10
joshf2
striped

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
What?? in those little cars ...
Flamesuit on...
aww cmon, dont tell me youve never rolled a car down a steep hill out kalamunda way??
Old 05-09-2005, 08:38 PM   #11
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Definitly looks like impact damage to me, maybe that roundabout was harder than you thought?
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #12
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
aww cmon, dont tell me youve never rolled a car down a steep hill out kalamunda way??
Yer but there was no-one in it at the time
:
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 05-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #13
GROOV3
Rollin

tyre might of had a weak defect from new and hit to many pot holes etc grazed a round about or hit a speed bump quick and the tyre is buldging /egging, def needs to be replaced
GROOV3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This happened more than a week ago (about a week and half). I doubt it was the cause as it only came up today and the impact was very soft. The tyre itself has been dodgy for some time with is loosing pressure slowly.

I need the car to get to school. Do you guys think it would be safe to drive it the 20minutes trip there and back? I could ask my friend for a lift if it is dangerous.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:52 PM   #15
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Hard to say it might last months or just hrs.
Dont you have a spare ?
Quote:
Old 06-09-2005, 12:14 AM   #16
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Use the spare..... or take the bus?

Old 06-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #17
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fiesta use temporary space savers. It's not really an option.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:33 AM   #18
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

That happened to me in my Focus on my 15s - as they say, it could last either an hour or a month.

Even something really insignificant can do it, sucks, but what can you do...

Get it replaced as soon as you can, it should be ok for a day trip, but there's always the risk it will blow out.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 AM   #19
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
That happened to me in my Focus on my 15s - as they say, it could last either an hour or a month.

Even something really insignificant can do it, sucks, but what can you do...

Get it replaced as soon as you can, it should be ok for a day trip, but there's always the risk it will blow out.

Tim
Yeah, and a Damaged alloy is no fun at all!
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 11:18 AM   #20
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

How many km has the tyre/car done? You might try going to a tyre dealer of whichever brand tyres they are, and see what they can do about it. I wouldn't be driving that on the freeway as it is, but take it easy if you do drive it.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 01:21 PM   #21
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
The fiesta use temporary space savers. It's not really an option.
TEMP spare wheel is saver then driving on that tyre.... ive used it for a short distance, i have no complaints.....

Old 06-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #22
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

My tyre side wall failed as well as some of you know. Pie, you might be lucky and get it replaced as it has not failed yet.

Bridgestone are very reluctant to do anything for you. With mine, they put it down to the valve failing (which may or may not have been the case as when the tyre went down, the bottom side of the valve is exposed and gets damaged). So thats the only thing they can point it to. I thought valves were warrantable, but apparently they are not according to bridgestone. Also, when Ford customer service rang Bridgestone on my behalf, the got abused for questioning their tyre expertise. Bridgestone just dont care. There was some admission that these tyres have had sidewall problems, the ER30. Suprisingly enough, none of these tyres were available in the country during August.

In the end, I said F it as I am going to sell it so I couldnt be bothered. I wont be buying any more Bridgestone tyres any time soon. No doubt you can tell I am a little bitter about this.

Interesting that you mention that the tyre was leaking pressure. I dont know what the cause of this is. Incidently, you may be lucky and get a result. At least the tyre did not fail on you which is a bonus of sorts.

Pie, maybe give ford customer services (Ford CRC) a call on 133 673. If it helps you, I can give you my case number, pm me if you want it. If you go to Bridgestone I can also pm you my case number for reference and a contact at Bridgestone as he dealt with my case. Just ask me on msn.

Incidently my tyre was also located on the righ hand side.

Edit: The cracking that your tyre seems to be experiencing is consistent with what the cracks look like on mine.

Mine had 19,800km on it when it failed. The tyre orignal was equipped to the front right and moved to the rear right at 15,000km. I dont think many more of us have this many km so maybe a problem has not surfaced yet.

Last edited by Cypher; 06-09-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #23
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

The space saver is extremely dangerous. i drove with it on for around 4 km doing about 40kmph and ive never felt such an unstable and unsettled car in my life.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 06:24 PM   #24
joshf2
striped

the space saver is designed to get you short distances to get the original fixed.

if it was "dangerous" then it wouldnt have been allowed to be fitted to the car.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:30 PM   #25
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I think the space savers are speed restricted anyway, the manufacturers certainly don't approve of their use at normal operating speeds and conditions. It's to stop you walking the 300kms to the nearest tyre shop and carrying a new one back, because you didn't want to lose an extra 3cm of bootspace.

Tim
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #26
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

In regards to the spare.... i used it to get to my local tyre shop, and i dont see any harm in using one. You just have to be aware the car might feel different, but mind you it wasnt unstable. Only thing that was a pain in the **** is putting the Spare back on.... you will NEVER be able to screw it! lol. I got a new screw ordered today under warranty, as mine was bent?!

Old 08-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #27
Cypher
Fiesta Zetec

Spave savers are rated at max speed 80km/h. I drove on mine for about 40km. No problem but in the rain, its a little sketchy!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:11 PM   #28
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Too bad if your like 400k's from nowhere @ 80km/hr
Quote:
Old 08-09-2005, 09:22 PM   #29
joshf2
striped

steal someones wheel and use it to replace your space saver
Old 08-09-2005, 11:41 PM   #30
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

technically space savers are illegal, i.e. different sized wheel and tyre fitted to car....... but 'technically' spare tyres are'nt a roadworthy item. But if it gets you out of trouble, its done its job.

Oh, try not to wear them out either, VERY expensive to replace.
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post