Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2021, 07:39 PM   #1
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Best Electric Cars in the Marketplace thread

We have electric threads here on Ford Forums, but no ongoing thread comparing new releases - and this is a segment that is going to grow heaps.

How about a thread keeping up with what is out there? I'm most interested in who will reach the Corolla-priced commuter electric car first
- and if it's any good compared to the most developed of the tech/range, which I assume would be Tesla? Edit: perhaps we can count down to when they become affordable for everyday people.

(Used the electric whippa snippa in the garden this afternoon and it's so much nicer than all the fumes of the two stroke unit it replaced. Charged it with our solar.)
Old 24-10-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Best Electric Cars in the Marketplace thread

For example, here are two that are the right size, but not the right price/availability:

https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-rev...electric-84022

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...review-130369/

That Honda e interior is just magic, love it.
Old 24-10-2021, 07:46 PM   #3
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

MG ZS EV would be closest to affordability sweet spot at present, is it worthwhile compared to models coming, or future ranges?

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-rev...g-zs-ev-review
Old 24-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...review-130369/

$83K + ORC

I'll take the DS RAM 1500 thanks.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2021, 07:57 PM   #5
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Honda E would be a great grocery getter if it was under 30k
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #6
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Franco, I'd take a P400 Defender to go offroading with you in the Ram for about that price!

One of the reasons for the thread is it was predicted that the 20K (US I assume) EV was on the way by 2023 and mass-adoption would ensue; it would be nice to chronicle how that happens in the slew of new models on the way.

Yep, the E would be that great little commuter at under 30K!
Old 24-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
$83K + ORC

You & Me both..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2021, 10:01 PM   #8
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
$83K + ORC

Having driven the base spec model at that price point, I was quite disappointed.

I can't understand the Honda E pricing. Its madness.

The only EV's I see coming in at that $20k price point will be Chinese cars... In particular, BYD. Model 2 from Tesla will probably be promised at $25k but then they'll never produce the $25k model... you know the rest of the story.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2021, 10:13 PM   #9
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
would buy a Honda e in a heartbeat. perfect use case for me.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2021, 10:17 PM   #10
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
I can't understand the Honda E pricing. Its madness.
The importer's? Or Honda's? I think Honda are being incredibly short-sighted not offering it here. Honda is a pretty undesirable brand amongst anyone younger than 40, this vehicle would go some way toward addressing that.
This user likes this post:
Old 24-10-2021, 10:27 PM   #11
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
The importer's? Or Honda's? I think Honda are being incredibly short-sighted not offering it here. Honda is a pretty undesirable brand amongst anyone younger than 40, this vehicle would go some way toward addressing that.
Little from Column A, a little from column B.

I quite like that car. Sub $30k would be a real goer. The price is just eye watering.

Honda are on life support in Australia. Only Toyota can make a Camry and make it sell in meaningful numbers.
Old 24-10-2021, 10:58 PM   #12
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will either be a chinese brand or a chinese brand. Take your pick.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 24-10-2021, 11:05 PM   #13
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-20215978

78K plus onroads

In the pics too, it has frameless glass windows - it just gets better and better...

Been reading about quite a few of them tonight. The Tesla 3 whumps the lot for performance and probably tech level (interesting use of heat pump heater in LR model). But I'm really curious about the Mazda's approach: smaller battery, smaller motor, less footprint in terms of energy used to make it, slower speed - but quicker time to charge/realistic time to charge even from wall overnight, less overall weight. This all reads simply as "it's got way less for expensive price!" but they might have a point, tailoring it to be sufficient for what many people do, most of the time. What does everyone think? Kypez?

From my snow example in the other thread - if I keep the battle-proven Territory for those days, and zoom around my commuting and surfing locally in a MX30 electric (charging it from my solar which is more feasible as it's capacity is less), I get to have the best of both worlds, no?
Old 25-10-2021, 12:20 AM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I quite like that car. Sub $30k would be a real goer. The price is just eye watering.
They'd have to remove so much tech to get it under that price. I think even at $45-50k it would find a lot of buyers. For the importers, I suspect this will end up being a case of 'seemed like a good idea at the time'.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2021, 12:24 AM   #15
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...AG-AD-20215978

78K plus onroads

In the pics too, it has frameless glass windows - it just gets better and better...

Been reading about quite a few of them tonight. The Tesla 3 whumps the lot for performance and probably tech level (interesting use of heat pump heater in LR model). But I'm really curious about the Mazda's approach: smaller battery, smaller motor, less footprint in terms of energy used to make it, slower speed - but quicker time to charge/realistic time to charge even from wall overnight, less overall weight. This all reads simply as "it's got way less for expensive price!" but they might have a point, tailoring it to be sufficient for what many people do, most of the time. What does everyone think? Kypez?

From my snow example in the other thread - if I keep the battle-proven Territory for those days, and zoom around my commuting and surfing locally in a MX30 electric (charging it from my solar which is more feasible as it's capacity is less), I get to have the best of both worlds, no?
It's cute and quirky but I couldn't part with $80 k for this car.

The model 3 is small enough but big enough as well around town. The LR and Performance cars are almost identical with only the "tune" separating them (think Miami engines).

I loved my taking my Everest to the snow till I took the model 3 (didn't take the S because it is RWD) and the joy of getting into a heated car and heated seats ready to go was fantastic. Haven't tried the Terri but the Everest took forever to start heating the cabin!

Have you had a chance to drive a model 3 yet? They feel smaller and nippy. Don't let the weight on paper play into your thoughts.

The MX30 does have the fact it's an SUV going for it. Suicide does also get annoying when you want to just drop someone off and you have to remove your seatbelt and open your door first. Small issue but used to annoy me all the same.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Old 25-10-2021, 12:28 AM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm sold on Nissan's ePower cars - but they don't offer them in Australia, there's a pattern here

Nissan Note ePower is sub $30K, 100KW/320NM EV but tiny 1.5kWh battery - has 1.2L 3 cylinder engine just acting as a generator, doesn't power the wheels.

Does 1300km+ to a tank of fuel, it's a legit replacement for my Focus.

At the moment nothing really stacks up as a Focus replacement, it does 5.5L/100km all day every day no matter how much I beat on it, it too is 100KW/320NM in it's unmodified form.

Depending on where I go for my first place depends what I do with cars, I could certainly make an El Cheapo CCP EV work if I moved into inner suburbia, I guess the issues become charging infrastructure in an apartment block parking garage though.

That would surely have to cause issues with EV take up amongst that demographic and they'd probably be the customer base who would be really keen on EVs.
Old 25-10-2021, 12:32 AM   #17
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
They'd have to remove so much tech to get it under that price. I think even at $45-50k it would find a lot of buyers. For the importers, I suspect this will end up being a case of 'seemed like a good idea at the time'.
True. Though I Think people will buy it as it is quirky but never in any meaningfully numbers. No different to other grey imports with high tags (like a Honda S660).

Old 25-10-2021, 12:34 AM   #18
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Nissan Note ePower is sub $30K, 100KW/320NM EV but tiny 1.5kWh battery - has 1.2L 3 cylinder engine just acting as a generator, doesn't power the wheels.
Replace the ICE with a H2 system and it's basically the same as the fuel cell stuff.

BMW did this with their i3 almost a decade ago now; 2 cylinder motorbike engine that works as a generator. The Chevy Volt also worked on a similar principle as well.

Old 25-10-2021, 03:14 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
MG ZS EV would be closest to affordability sweet spot at present, is it worthwhile compared to models coming, or future ranges?

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-rev...g-zs-ev-review
I saw a comparison recently of smaller SUV style EV's and I think the MG was part of it.

While it was the cheapest it underperformed on claimed range.

There was a Hyundai that was a little more and it went I believe 1km over the claimed range.

They charged them and drove them till dead.

I would go the Korean option based on that review.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2021, 03:19 PM   #20
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good replies everyone - if something comes out of left-field like Franco suggested with the hybrid Note ePower, throw those in too.

Kypez, I'd select against a sedan if buying as of all the surfboards of varying length, but noted, the Model 3 seems to be king of output/range/technological advance in that 65Kish range. TBH with corona I haven't been into the city since 2019 so I don't think there's a Tesla dealer nearby our bit of regional Vic?? Today it looks like MG ZS EV is winning for affordable electric car.

Also (newbie) I've been looking at all the relative consumptions and working out how to calculate their economy, as well as begun to log our solar/consumption and see how much excess we generate with view to enlarging the system/inverter/deploying funds to make house more efficient (eg heat pumps) and installing batteries of some kind before I get the car.

This explanation helped: here the Hyundai seemed more 'economical' which is something I have to work out why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-KBLaLvcQ
Old 25-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #21
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Good replies everyone - if something comes out of left-field like Franco suggested with the hybrid Note ePower, throw those in too.

Kypez, I'd select against a sedan if buying as of all the surfboards of varying length, but noted, the Model 3 seems to be king of output/range/technological advance in that 65Kish range. TBH with corona I haven't been into the city since 2019 so I don't think there's a Tesla dealer nearby our bit of regional Vic?? Today it looks like MG ZS EV is winning for affordable electric car.

Also (newbie) I've been looking at all the relative consumptions and working out how to calculate their economy, as well as begun to log our solar/consumption and see how much excess we generate with view to enlarging the system/inverter/deploying funds to make house more efficient (eg heat pumps) and installing batteries of some kind before I get the car.

This explanation helped: here the Hyundai seemed more 'economical' which is something I have to work out why:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt-KBLaLvcQ
Roof racks? Seen plenty of model 3's with surfboards or snowboards on their roof. You could carry just shy of a 5 metres.

Where in regional Vic are you? There is a new Bendigo centre coming soon. I could put you in touch with others if you're keen. Plenty of people in regional Vic.

Old 25-10-2021, 03:42 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Here is clip I was referring to earlier:

19:18 in video:

MG ZS claimed 263km achieved 191km - worst performance by a large margin on the test.

Hyundai Kona claimed 449km achieved 450km

Everything else performed below expectations.

I guess we rarely see ICE cars achieve claimed consumption but that Hyundai certainly is the best buy even if it were a little more than the Chinese rival.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #23
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OzCars have started importing used ev's from Japan.These are ev's not on sale in Aus. It will be interesting, parts etc..
Old 25-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Roof racks? Seen plenty of model 3's with surfboards or snowboards on their roof. You could carry just shy of a 5 metres.

Where in regional Vic are you? There is a new Bendigo centre coming soon. I could put you in touch with others if you're keen. Plenty of people in regional Vic.

Not too many places to surf in Bendigo unfortunately
Old 25-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #25
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget the Australian made Ace Yewts that are supposedly out next year.

You can do a Tesla style deposit on some of them and prices will start from around 30k.

https://www.ace-ev.com.au/

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #26
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
OzCars have started importing used ev's from Japan.These are ev's not on sale in Aus. It will be interesting, parts etc..
They just put a crash bar in the doors and its Australian Compliance, or used to be!
Worth looking into, it was the rage in Brisbane when I was there mid 90's.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post