Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #1
sgj66

Default Squeaky pulley

Au2 xr8 I've got a squeaky pulley I took the belt off and they all feel a bit dicky only squeals on start up lasts only a few seconds can I repack the idler pulleys to take these out of the equation?
sgj66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #2
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Squeaky pulley

If the two idler pulleys are the original metal ones, you can press out the bearing and fit replacements. NTN make replacements, should be available off the shelf at your local Auto One, just take your old bearing with you.

Replacement pulleys are plastic and the bearings can't be easily changed, so better off pressing new bearings into the original pulleys.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
sgj66

Hi macman you are a wealth of knowledge I'm remote so if I pull then off then I'll have a 80k push bike ride to find a shop can I regrease any way I live in the boonies
Old 14-10-2021, 09:20 PM   #4
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

You can just flip out the seals and clean and repack them...I do it all the time.
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2021, 07:29 AM   #5
sgj66

Ta will give that a go my work took me to horrendous bulldust roads it got in everywhere so if it is the idlers I will replace the bearings as well
Don't worry I have apologised to my beloved Ute and promised I will not do that again might even buy it a new stereo
Old 25-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #6
sgj66

Repacked idlers, tensioner no fixy problem it's only on start up if a air con goes they drop the gas don't they?
Old 25-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
sgj66

Oh the bearing no. for the 2 idlers and tensioner are all ntn 6203lu od.40mm by id.17mm
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2021, 09:27 AM   #8
sgj66

Anyone got any ideas?
Old 27-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Anyone got any ideas?
About what in particular? Is there an implied explicit question you are asking that I missed?
Old 27-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #10
sgj66

I still have squeaky pulley there somewhere it's not the idlers or tensioner so that leaves alt. water pump, power steer and air con I'm trying to rule out a few. Aircon pump should lose it's gas if it's failing does a power steer pump squeal on start up if it's failing, none of the 4 possibilities have any play in the bearings
Old 27-10-2021, 01:13 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Have you checked the harmonic balancer/ crankshaft pulley is not starting to separate? See https://www.gatestechzone.com/en/pro...-failure-signs and https://www.daycoproducts.com/inspec...onic-balancers and https://www.google.com/search?q=sque...WH9QOw77GwAg27
Old 27-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #12
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgj66 View Post
I still have squeaky pulley there somewhere it's not the idlers or tensioner so that leaves alt. water pump, power steer and air con I'm trying to rule out a few. Aircon pump should lose it's gas if it's failing does a power steer pump squeal on start up if it's failing, none of the 4 possibilities have any play in the bearings
It's really hard to say now what it could be.

Idler pulleys were the easiest and most likely, but you've done them now. They're easy to diagnose too, you remove the serpentine belt and give them a spin by hand and you can hear if they're stuffed. Tensioner should spin freely too, so you could give that a spin by hand, see if it feels loose or noisy?

Like you said, it could be the alternator bearings, the P/S pump or the A/C pump. I don't think you can rule out the A/C pump just because it's still gassed, but I'm not sure on that one.

As you have an XR8 it could also be the camshaft position sensor, they can squeal and squeak. When mine has done in the past, I whip off a coil pack (to gain access), pop the black cap off and drop a bit of fresh engine oil down the shaft. The CPS sits where you'd expect the distributer to be on an earlier Ford V8.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2021, 02:45 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Oops my last link was meant to be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPargjoL
Old 27-10-2021, 03:45 PM   #14
sgj66

Ta heaps to look into fellow fordofiles last link not working blue but early ones heaps of info can't see the balancer inner and outer will look into it more I took the belt off noise gone so balancer not rubbing Will do that to the cps do everything before spending cash thanks for the info guys
Old 27-10-2021, 04:53 PM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Oops: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPargjoLpes
Old 02-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #16
sgj66

So looked at so much utube and went through all the processes, here is my findings I had a leaking pipe in the top of the power steering pump which I repaired recently some of the fluid went on to the power steering pulley
I was working in a area that had corrugated bulldust roads the bull dust with the fluid caked together to get stuck in the bottom of the grooves of the power steering pulley so scraped that out .
I have replaced the belt again 2nd one in a month some belts can handle a misaligned pulley after all the driving on corrugated "roads"it may have upset one of pulley mountings some dude on YouTube said that gates belts can handle slight misalignment I have straight edged the pulleys and can't find any discrepancies but it's the cheaper option.
I have no noise now will see how it goes after the belt settles
Thanks for everyone's help
Cheers
Old 05-11-2021, 04:57 PM   #17
crustylogger
Starter Motor

Cam syncronizer
crustylogger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #18
crustylogger
Starter Motor

Was the camshaft synchronizer on my car that squeaked
crustylogger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #19
sgj66

Yea macman said the same but a none squeaky belt working so far cheers
Old 06-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #20
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Cool Re: Squeaky pulley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgj66 View Post
Yea macman said the same but a none squeaky belt working so far cheers
Good to hear (or not hear in your case)
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post