Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
agentofchange

Default AUII: Central Locking Relays/Triggers

Hi Guys - I started a thread in the workshop about connecting up a touch pad to my car (AUII).

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=731

Before I go ahead with purchasing a touch pad I need to answer a few questions like where are the central locking relays/triggers.

I'm also looking for a AUII wiring diagram or advice as to where I will find the wires I need to tap into to get this unit going.

This is the unit I want to hook up - the first link is its wiring diagram and the second is an example install.

http://www.keyless.com/PDF/KE1601WD.pdf
http://www.accesscnc.com/keylessinst.html

Any advice?
Thanks,
Agent
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 04:33 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Hi man .You will need 2 changeover relays rated between 20 -30 amps for the door locking on the AU. The wiring is in the computer above your left knee .The trigger is a negative and an interrupt to work the central locking The system in the diagram needs relays to give a solid earth pulse trigger for central locking.

You will have to bring this computer down from its position by unscrewing it and manouvering it out.Once out you will need a logic tester..NOT TEST LIGHT...or you may destroy the computer.You must probe to find the appropriate wires then fit the relays in the correct way. The relays should have pins 85,86,87,87a and 30.

Looking at that idea I must recommend that you do not buy it.This will be outside of the vehicle in an exposed position.Kids will not leave your car alone .A thief would probably take the device off gain access to your door rods and unlock the car manually via the holes.
The other potential problem I see with this device is in the case of where it is physically removed and a drill battery with 15 volts reversed is connected to the wires..Will it unlock the doors? Will it blow the alarm up? What steps are taken to waterproof the control unit? I think there is a great potential for water damage,especially with the amount of attraction it wil cause ..

cheers Stav

Last edited by Stav; 07-01-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 10:56 PM   #3
agentofchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
A thief would probably take the device off gain access to your door rods and unlock the car manually via the holes.
I'm looking to secure the device with two screw holes and then mount some kind of fibreglass barrier behind the keypad - to stop access to the door rods through the two screw holes and one wire hole.

I also plan to fill the space where my keyhole used to be with fibreglass to block access to the rods.

Quote:
The other potential problem I see with this device is in the case of where it is physically removed and a drill battery with 15 volts reversed is connected to the wires..Will it unlock the doors? Will it blow the alarm up?
I was thinking about this and the best I can come up with is fuses/or low voltage diodes between the numberpad and the control module.
http://www.keyless.com/PDF/KE1602WD.pdf

Quote:
What steps are taken to waterproof the control unit? I think there is a great potential for water damage,especially with the amount of attraction it wil cause ..
The device is designed for cars and is waterproof etc. I don't really care if kids fiddle with it - to replace the keypad costs about the same as having the lock remounted - and less than replacing the whole handle mechanism (if thats whats required).

It's a solution in progress - I figure my car will be harder to break into with no keyhole.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:27 PM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentofchange
I'm looking to secure the device with two screw holes and then mount some kind of fibreglass barrier behind the keypad - to stop access to the door rods through the two screw holes and one wire hole.
Mate you need bolts and a metal plate inside the door to stop them.They are likely to remove the screws ,but round head bolts are available and cannot be unscrewed from the outside .
Quote:
I also plan to fill the space where my keyhole used to be with fibreglass to block access to the rods..
Put fibreglass there but place a steel metal plate there inside

Quote:
I was thinking about this and the best I can come up with is fuses/or low voltage diodes between the numberpad and the control module..
Put a reed switch on the panel on the inside so when it is removed the alarm will trigger.

Quote:
The device is designed for cars and is waterproof etc. I don't really care if kids fiddle with it - to replace the keypad costs about the same as having the lock remounted - and less than replacing the whole handle mechanism (if thats whats required).

It's a solution in progress - I figure my car will be harder to break into with no keyhole.
How about the windows?

If they drill it how will you get in ?

Last edited by Stav; 07-01-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 11:41 PM   #5
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Mate you need bolts and a metal plate inside the door to stop them.They are likely to remove the screws ,but round head bolts are available and cannot be unscrewed from the outside .

Put fibreglass there but place a steel metal plate there inside

Put a reed switch on the panel on the inside so when it is removed the alarm will trigger.

How about the windows?

With no doorlock you are going to have to have a covert way of powering the electric lock. Lock damage or dead battery.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2005, 11:55 PM   #6
agentofchange

Quote:
How about the windows?

Nothing can be done about the windows other than shock sensors (happy to be proved wrong). If they use a glass cutter it may not trip the alarm - so I intend to fit a microwave (motion) sensor in the car.

If someone damages the keypad there is still the remote and vice versa for if the remote fails/is lost.

I figure (although I could be wrong) that since there are two relays for the door locks (one for the drivers side and one for the other three doors) it is unlikely that both would fail at the same time.

In short I dont have a great soltuion yet.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:58 PM   #7
agentofchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
With no doorlock you are going to have to have a covert way of powering the electric lock. Lock damage or dead battery.
I intend to run wires connected to the (+) and (-) terminals to the side of the car so if the battery does go flat I can easily hook up another one.

Even if the alarm system fails it dont think it will really matter. The keypad is self contained and maintains its own pin codes etc. It triggers a relay to turn the alarm on/off (as far as I can tell). I think it also triggers the relays for the central locking.

As far as I know the AUII has two relays for the doors - one which unlocks the drivers side and one which unlocks the other three.

I figure its unlikely for both to break at the same time so I should always be able to get into the car.

(So long as there is power, and if the battery is flat the car is not going anywhere unitl I get some power from somewhere. When I do I can power the door system from the side of the car as I mentioned.)
Old 08-01-2005, 12:04 AM   #8
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
I intend to run wires connected to the (+) and (-) terminals to the side of the car so if the battery does go flat I can easily hook up another one.

Even if the alarm system fails it dont think it will really matter. The keypad is self contained and maintains its own pin codes etc. It triggers a relay to turn the alarm on/off (as far as I can tell). I think it also triggers the relays for the central locking.

As far as I know the AUII has two relays for the doors - one which unlocks the drivers side and one which unlocks the other three.

I figure its unlikely for both to break at the same time so I should always be able to get into the car.

(So long as there is power, and if the battery is flat the car is not going anywhere unitl I get some power from somewhere. When I do I can power the door system from the side of the car as I mentioned.)
Yeah its only supply you have to worry about and keeping the supply points well hidden, the keypad will art a thief to look for something different so those auxilliary terminals will have to be behind a panel that requires tools and Time to remove. And for some the keypad will be like a steal-me magnet, some thieves like a challenge too.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post