Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fusion/Mondeo future in doubt

Fusion production to be ceased in North America.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...s-china-mexico

Quote:
DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. plans to end North American production of the Fusion midsize sedan at the end of the decade, Automotive News has learned, casting doubt about the future of the nameplate in the U.S. as consumers shun cars for crossovers and SUVs.

The automaker has begun informing suppliers that it will not build the next-generation Fusion at its plant in Hermosillo, Mexico, where the car is currently made, according to sources familiar with the discussions. It’s unclear whether Ford would stop selling the Fusion in the U.S., replace it with a different vehicle, or build it elsewhere. A spokesman declined to comment.

The car will not be shipped to the United States from China, Ford said Wednesday, denying a Reuters report that the automaker would consolidate global production of the Fusion and Mondeo sedans in China. Ford currently builds the Mondeo in China for that market as part of its joint venture with Changan Ford, and it makes the European Mondeo in Valencia, Spain.

“We have no plans to export the next-generation Fusion/Mondeo from China to North America and Europe,” Ford said in an emailed statement. “Fusion / Mondeo are an important part of the Ford car lineup. We will have more information to share about the next Fusion/Mondeo at a later date.”

Ford planned to begin building the third-generation Fusion in 2020 for the 2021 model year, one source told Automotive News.

Permanent shift

Ford executives have said they believe the shift among U.S. consumers from cars to crossovers and SUVs is permanent. The Fusion would be the highest-volume car to go out of production in North America as a result of the crossover boom, marking a dramatic twist in the life of a nameplate that was key to Ford's turnaround after the recession that ended in 2009.

As recently as last year, Ford was building the Fusion in Michigan and in Mexico.

Suppliers have been told Ford also plans to stop producing the Mondeo at a plant in Valencia, Spain.

Ford is in the midst of reviewing its entire product portfolio under new CEO Jim Hackett. Executives in October said Ford would offer fewer car nameplates but did not offer specifics.

“Every good business, over time, should be pruning its portfolio to make room for new stuff and remove some things that are past their time,” Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of global operations, said at the Automotive News World Congress in January.

It’s unclear what vehicle would take the Fusion’s place at Ford's Hermosillo plant. The automaker also builds the Lincoln MKZ, which shares underpinnings with the Fusion, on the same assembly line. Ford last week revealed plans to build an electric crossover at its other Mexico plant, in Cuautitlan, where it currently makes the subcompact Fiesta.

Thorny issue

Ford said earlier this year that the North American Focus would be imported from China, which is now the world’s largest vehicle market, instead of Mexico, where it had planned to build a $1.6 billion plant. The end of Focus production in Michigan became a thorny issue for Ford when President Donald Trump repeatedly attacked the plan to assemble it in Mexico during the 2016 presidential campaign.

Ford has said moving the Focus to China will save about $500 million. Cost cuts have been a priority under new CEO Jim Hackett, who has vowed to reallocate $7 billion of capital from cars to light trucks in the coming years.

Ford has sold more than 2.7 million Fusions in the U.S. since its introduction in 2005, but this year will mark a third consecutive decline in volume since annual sales peaked at 306,860 in 2014, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

U.S. Fusion sales are down 22 percent this year through November, vs. a 16 percent slide for the midsize segment overall.

And overall U.S. car deliveries are on track to decline for the fourth straight year in 2017.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2017, 04:27 PM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Default Re: Fusion/Mondeo future in doubt

Interesting

Quote:
Ford is in the midst of reviewing its entire product portfolio under new CEO Jim Hackett. Executives in October said Ford would offer fewer car nameplates but did not offer specifics.
Trucks/Utes and SUVs it is then. :(
Old 14-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #3
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect we arnt even seeing the true loss of demand for sedans, I reckon carmakers are throwing bucket loads of cash at the cars to keep them moving off lots.

In a way Im suprised sedans have lasted this long.
Old 14-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Fusion production to be ceased in North America.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...s-china-mexico

...after the recession that ended in 2009.
That, right there is the biggest joke I have heard in a long time.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

For the Americans the GFC recession did end in 2009 with increasing work,
we were out of step thanks to a resources boom heading our way and the
eventual bust that started in late 2014.

There's an interesting back story to this,
Flat Rock AP was originally set up as a CD4 Fusion overflow plant alongside the Mustang but when sales
declined, production of Fusion production stopped and the line changed to building CD4 Continental

So while production at Hermosillo may be drawing to an end, it wouldn't be hard to restart Fusion
production at Flat Rock along with the companion Lincoln MKZ , Continental and Mustang.

Ford officially denied that Fusion production would switch to China so maybe consolidation at Flat Rock?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As an SUV owner, I have no interest in owning a mid to large size Family Sedan, so news like this doesn't come as a surprise to me.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I get that a CUV/SUV can carry the passengers and luggage that a medium/large sedan can, but they don't drive anywhere near as well. We are all getting beiged out by Mr Average
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 04:23 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

And you have no better example of that than what is happening at Holden with the AWD Commodore,
Holden thinks that enough people will like this therefore, job done.

All the high end buyers will be offered a converted Camaro for +$80K , again job done.
Old 15-12-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

All part of the new plan.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I get that a CUV/SUV can carry the passengers and luggage that a medium/large sedan can, but they don't drive anywhere near as well. We are all getting beiged out by Mr Average
What do you mean by the don't drive anywhere near as well?

IMO my Territory is a better drive than a Falcon. has a better view of the road ahead, is easier to park and reverse a trailer.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah with Cars being so capable nowadays and travel speeds slower than what they were 50 years ago, I enjoy driving SUVs more.

Great visability, smaller footprint due to upright body, some extra clearance they are actually fun.
Old 16-12-2017, 06:32 PM   #12
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
For the Americans the GFC recession did end in 2009 with increasing work,
we were out of step thanks to a resources boom heading our way and the
eventual bust that started in late 2014.
That perception was more another smoke and mirrors act by the administration. E.g. one day you are a software engineer, the next you are flipping burgers at MacDonalds in a 32hr/week part time job. Yet, this practice lowered the unemployment numbers.

That is just one example. I saw it happening. I am in the states.

We can talk more, but should probably have a separate thread in the Bar or something.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #13
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to care once about stuff like this . Not any more . Fossil fuelled cars of all types are buggered anyway . Saw a report the other day that within 3-5 years there'll be a huge shift to outright electric and hybrid motive power. Even SUV's and pick up style trucks are going to slide big time before most of us turn up our toes.
Fifty years from now museums will be the only place you'll see anything resembling internal combustion stuff.
Wondering if heavy duty haulage , aircraft , cargo shipping etc will be about all that uses fossil fuels and such .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #14
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I used to care once about stuff like this . Not any more . Fossil fuelled cars of all types are buggered anyway . Saw a report the other day that within 3-5 years there'll be a huge shift to outright electric and hybrid motive power. Even SUV's and pick up style trucks are going to slide big time before most of us turn up our toes.
Fifty years from now museums will be the only place you'll see anything resembling internal combustion stuff.
Wondering if heavy duty haulage , aircraft , cargo shipping etc will be about all that uses fossil fuels and such .
Unless a revolution in battery tech happens in the next three years, internal combustion engines aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #15
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.4bc.com.au/podcast/solid...-cars-further/
Next Generation
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2017, 06:26 PM   #16
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Unless a revolution in battery tech happens in the next three years, internal combustion engines aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
What happens when they run out of lithium. I think that they will run out of that before running out of oil/petrol.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I was feeling pretty bored so I made myself a coffee. I haven't even drank the coffee yet but just knowing it's there ready to be consumed makes me feel a lot better.

Everything is going to be okay guys.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #18
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjk74 View Post
And predictions like this , as well as the one I saw the other day in a news article . https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...emand-in-2030s . Like to think the old I/C engines will be around a lot longer though but the cards are getting marked all the time it seems. On a Foxtel doco also recently there was a story about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP0_yNGmsNo

There's this major oil field in the Gulf of Mexico where they have to go 8,000 feet with this to the sea bed , then drill to get at the oil . Huge cost to design and build . Guess as time passes the difficulty and cost will eventually make it less viable to access at a price to make sense unless technology keeps up with need to keep going deeper to find oil.Sadly for us all , oil companies will draw the line and pull the pin when there's no profit in it for them.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2017, 09:33 PM   #19
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I like a sedan and I like a van the thing in the middle does not interest me...
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2017, 10:41 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
3-5 years?
I think put a 1 or maybe a 2 before that number and I'll believe it.

As for the thread, yeah doesn't surprise me.
SUV's have advantages over sedans that regular commuters actually care about.
The average drivers doesn't care that they can't doing 60km/h though a roundabout or turn left at 40km/h into their residential street in their SUV.
I like sedans, but I think SUVs in general are more practical for most people.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #21
ken1939

I just see a bit of overlap on the US Ford Market. Taurus and Fusions are similar in offering, and the Focus remains a good size vehicle. So if you want a hatch, you get the Focus, if you want the sedan get the Taurus. I was surprised they built the Flex as long as they did, another vehicle without a real purpose.

I went to a local Ford dealer to look over a 2011 Taurus to replace my 05 Focus, saw a new King Ranch, sticker price 75K.

Thats a decent hours around here.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1939 View Post
I just see a bit of overlap on the US Ford Market. Taurus and Fusions are similar in offering, and the Focus remains a good size vehicle. So if you want a hatch, you get the Focus, if you want the sedan get the Taurus. I was surprised they built the Flex as long as they did, another vehicle without a real purpose.

I went to a local Ford dealer to look over a 2011 Taurus to replace my 05 Focus, saw a new King Ranch, sticker price 75K.

Thats a decent hours around here.
Flex /MKT was part of the UNIFOR agreement in Canada, Flex sells are strong in California
and the combined average transaction price of Flex + MKT means Ford eeks out a small profit
every month by doing nothing and keepng UNIFOR happy.

A rumor from the US is that NG explorer/Aviator is going RWD/AWD (fairly reliable)

NG Focus grows in size, what's the bet that Ford wants to do something
to merge Fusion and Taurus sales by offering something slightly different...

Last edited by jpd80; 18-12-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 18-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #23
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

To add to my other quote above.
Heard today from CarAdvice.com that BMW said by 2030 they think electric and hybrid will only account for 25% of their sales.
They are still investing more money in developing new ICE engines than electric ones right now and will continue for a while.
It's believed that 2050 will be the time when electric complete starts to take over road vehicles.

Interested in know where this report came from that said petrol will be dead by 2020.
Probably from someone who has a financial interest in electric
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #24
axe

Saw this the other day and as far as I can see it is the big question about electrics. How do our current power grids and generation keep up with electricity demand if large numbers of vehicles switch to electric.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/charging-...-1-hour-33073/

XF Ute, ED XR6 sedan, AUII sedan, BF XR6 sedan, FG XR6T sedan

Now

Ford FGX XR6 Sprint, FG MkII XT EcoLPI
axe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2017, 09:27 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe View Post
Saw this the other day and as far as I can see it is the big question about electrics. How do our current power grids and generation keep up with electricity demand if large numbers of vehicles switch to electric.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/charging-...-1-hour-33073/
A few things with this,

Australia is not the US, our power grids are quite different with their own unique challengers.

The rollout of electric cars and trucks will happen a lot slower that people are being told

Most retail buyers will home charge when they can get off peak rates

Commercial electric trucks requiring faster charging rates will require special lines and circuits,
an opportunity for power companies to identify and charge new volume consumers.
Old 19-12-2017, 11:19 PM   #26
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the topic of electric trucks, people need to look at the video on YouTube by "Real Engineering" called 'the truth about the Tesla truck'
Interesting to hear some of the possible figures that Musk happened to leave out of his electric truck reveal.
This user likes this post:
Old 20-12-2017, 01:10 AM   #27
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Most retail buyers will home charge when they can get off peak rates
They may home charge if they have a garage or a driveway. What about people in apartments? Cars parked in the street overnight?
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #28
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
What do you mean by the don't drive anywhere near as well?

IMO my Territory is a better drive than a Falcon. has a better view of the road ahead, is easier to park and reverse a trailer.
https://youtu.be/yAPa3flxuG8

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #29
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Rubbish quote / post.

That doesn’t show a Falcon or a Territory.

Territory was / is a great drive.. period.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #30
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Rubbish quote / post.

That doesn’t show a Falcon or a Territory.

Territory was / is a great drive.. period.
Obviously you know nothing about centre of gravity lol.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: