Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-11-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
fwood
Starter Motor

Question Replacement of Transmission Control Module?

Hi all Focus Drivers

I have a 2013 Ford Focus S that until recently only had the clutch issue from day one and which now appears to be finally resolved - at least in my vehicle.

A situation that occurred last weekend however caused considerable concern. After travelling about 1/2 an hour and parking at a local shop, when returning to the vehicle half an hour later, the car wouldn't start. A message came up on the display saying 'Parking Aid Malfunction' 'Service Required'. Nothing we did would get the motor to turn over. All other functions appeared to work. Called RACQ and they couldn't get it running either. Comment was 'never seen anything like this before'. Had RACQ Tow the vehicle to our usual dealer. After taking it off the tow truck it started!
Left the vehicle at the dealers anyway and they traced it to a faulty Transmission Control Module. They replaced the TCM and advised that the TCM had been issued with an extended warranty for 10 years by Ford Australia. The dealer had also not seen this issue whereby the car was fully undriveable with that error message.
My concern is that we could have this happen again - and maybe next time we won't be so close to home.
Has anyone else had this issue and replacing the TCM has resolved this issue once and for all?
Thanks in anticipation of a response.
fwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #2
alokin123

Default Re: Replacement of Transmission Control Module?

I recently had the TCM in my 2012 Focus fail in a major shopping centre carpark. Similar to yours, everything worked but the car wouldnt start. The NRMA guy had to tow me out onto the street which was very scary experience and then i had to wait for the tow truck. I think its just one of those things that can fail on these cars. Still its not very reassuring knowing that if road side assist cant help, your car has to go back to the shop.
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
fwood
Starter Motor

Thanks Alokin123
How recently did yours fail?
Hopefully it won't happen again - for both of us.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwood View Post
Thanks Alokin123
How recently did yours fail?
Hopefully it won't happen again - for both of us.
It will be 2 weeks tomorrow that it failed. Then a week later my battery died. its got 60000kms on it. Really wondering if i want to keep it or not considering the bad reputation these cars now have.
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #5
fwood
Starter Motor

Interesting about the battery. When I spoke to my dealer they said they also check the battery as this can also affect the TCM. My car has 50,000 on it but the battery has checked out so far. Fingers crossed.