Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 17-01-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
superyob
Banned

Default Political thread

Dear Awesome Moderators and Lord Russ,

I, superyob, humbly beseech thee to hear my prayer and look down favourably upon my earnest supplication. It seems that in the midst of all this great automotive forum, there are more than a few political animals waiting to be unleashed upon each other. As AFF has a huge membership, this will ensure multiple areas of political discourse can be civilly debated or descend into ad hominem as it invariably will at times. There is a whole world of politics surrounding the car industry itself, as well as the usual issues that make us froth at the mouth. Can a political area be cordoned off from the rest of the forum somehow? Only those with 5 years membership or more may join?

Hear my prayer o double awesome, triple awesome defenders of the Ford faith

Amen
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Political thread

Great idea Mr Yob.

Maybe we could have a political section of the forum that's opt-in, hidden from public and only viewable/accessible to those who have requested access, not indexed by lord almighty Google and hidden away.

Somewhere that the community could discuss those more sensitive topics, religion, politics etc.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

I didnt understand half the fancy words but the rest made sense. I did throw out my opinion once or twice in such thread that caused this request, but that one got heated real fast.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #4
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Being here for at least 5 years doesn't always guarantee civility.

And even if it did, the final "calm" solution is always agree to disagree. Which bears no sensibility other than users getting a chance to dust off their soapbox.

I voluntarily have had Russ revoke my access to the current areas where this type of discussion takes place. Because even the most seasoned of AFF members cannot seem to hold their tongues when it comes to these topics.

One way or another, we are gonna hurt each others feels with this stuff. Which is why it got binned in the firstplace.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD-85 View Post
Being here for at least 5 years doesn't always guarantee civility.

And even if it did, the final "calm" solution is always agree to disagree. Which bears no sensibility other than users getting a chance to dust off their soapbox.

I voluntarily have had Russ revoke my access to the current areas where this type of discussion takes place. Because even the most seasoned of AFF members cannot seem to hold their tongues when it comes to these topics.

One way or another, we are gonna hurt each others feels with this stuff. Which is why it got binned in the firstplace.
As long as the hurting of the feels stays in the political section and doesn't venture out of it, I reckons thats acceptible
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
As long as the hurting of the feels stays in the political section and doesn't venture out of it, I reckons thats acceptible
Well that is what we currently have. Albeit not a strictly sensitive topic of discussion. But that only proves the point of butthurt spilling into a thread where it wasnt even intended.

If there was such a section dedicated to it, It would be Whirlpool Keyboard Warrior Central.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #7
superyob
Banned

Whirlpool Keyboard Warrior Central...
Old 18-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #8
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day , Unfortunately we're surrounded and inextricably involved with politics., religion etc..
We all have differing and strong opinions because it DIRECTLY impacts on most things we do..That's how it is for many of us but if the Moderators , who incidentally do a terrific job think that it's a real problem ...Well....once again...
If that's the rules , that's the rules...Okay with that...
On a model train forum I'm on as much as AFF I had my wings clipped as a non American for simply starting a thread in General Discussions in mid 2016 to ask what people thought about the controversial comments of the person who finished up as President elect.. That's all I did . I was even sent a warning and the thread was promptly deleted...
They also have a thing called "The Coffee Shop ".
In "The Coffee Shop " general politics and non specific topics is discussed often but not as a specific thread. There are no specific threads allowed in the Coffee Shop.. Not a bad idea perhaps.....Cheers Rod
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I'm prepared to give it a go.

But no lefties or greenies thanks.

Oh, and One Nation will hold the balance of power in QLD if they do not take govmint.

... and bring back Tony Abbott unless Cory forms a new party
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #10
superyob
Banned

Because there is a large X section of society on this forum, a political thread is a great idea. Right now, across the world, there are 3 conservatives using the internet to disagree with each other and millions of progressives on the WWW agreeing with each other. How about a Seriously Heavily Involved Talk area? What could possibly go wrong???

Don't answer that...
Old 18-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #11
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the idea of this and the idea of it being opt in.

My Show and Shine thread:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...27#post5975027
Dalonian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's already a heap of political forums on the net, why give the mods more angst trying to juggle all the argy bargy?
It appears the mods work 24/7 and keep this site very well up to date with for FORD enthusiasts.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanic View Post
There's already a heap of political forums on the net, why give the mods more angst trying to juggle all the argy bargy?
It appears the mods work 24/7 and keep this site very well up to date with for FORD enthusiasts.
Then why have an off topic section of the forum?

We've got discussion areas for everything else, sports, 4x4/outdoor, general discussion, photography, entertainment etc.

The only thing the mods would have to deal with is personal attacks, even then if its hidden from the view of Google or people who aren't interested then who cares?
Old 18-01-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

No matter how locked up you think the thread could be it will attract trolls.

Mods/Admin on this forum are volunteers who put enough / too much time into this forum as it is. Mods have lives too and don't need to be modding a high maintenance thread that is not needed. It is not just a matter of them deleting/editting personal attacks - they have to read every post/piece of diatribe and make a judgment on whether it is acceptable or not.

Then there is the endless PMs mods have to deal with from people whinging because their post was deleted and not someone else's.

I was taught there are things you don't talk about; what people earn, religion and... politics.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
Trevor 57
is now there

If you want unmoderated political debate, join yellowbullet and go your hardest - LOL
Old 18-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post

Mods/Admin on this forum are volunteers who put enough / too much time into this forum as it is. Mods have lives too and don't need to be modding a high maintenance thread that is not needed. It is not just a matter of them deleting/editting personal attacks - they have to read every post/piece of diatribe and make a judgment on whether it is acceptable or not.

Then there is the endless PMs mods have to deal with from people whinging because their post was deleted and not someone else's.

I was taught there are things you don't talk about; what people earn, religion and... politics.
Make it unmoderated discussion, problem solved.

If you don't want to talk politics, money and religion then don't, but don't stop those who do.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 18-01-2017 at 05:35 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 02:02 AM   #17
yakcam
I drank what?

After being a mod on a similar sized international forum, I can tell you that if members have a beef with what another said in an unrelated (political) thread it will often follow them into other forum topical threads... Trolls can be made out of decent members if the passion is strong.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 20-01-2017, 07:15 AM   #18
superyob
Banned

I don't think it will be entirely problem free yakcam and some will lose their cool as they do when threads get argumentative on AFF. Whlie most of the unwashed neanderthals will still deliberately misconstrue and troll, there are certain members on this forum who can effectively put together an argument in opposition to, say my own views, and while they will not change my opinion, I may look at something from a different angle or alter my perspective based on that effective argument. So there are positive aspects for such a thread. In all the time I have been on AFF, (Warning, virtue signaling ahead) I have not used ad hominem and neither have others...
Old 21-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #19
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day...On an American based model rail forum I'm on very often politics is absolutely banned officially. That is depending on who or where it is it seems ...
Thankfully AFF Moderators are fair and unbiased as possible..sadly the other Forum seems to allow certain members to unofficially add content on politics but a non American like myself asked a simple question about comments that the new US President made during the campaign and I was warned and to refrain from asking such things.. This however doesn't seem to apply to some overseas (to the U.S.) contentious political issues..
Talk about double standards.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really disappointing
Whatever happens on AFF , let's not ever be like that...Rules for all , not some as now..
Alternatively closed off/ signed in on such conflicting subject matter that requires you to request to be part of and take responsibility for any posts you make perhaps that would need a disclaimer etc..

Cheers Rod
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #20
mmhmm

Sorry to Hijack the thread but I'm clueless on what actions are possible.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLabourCo...c_ref=NEWSFEED

This talks about how our meat,dairy , power , ports are sold in ownership to the chinese. My statement is . Treason, Economic Invasion and Corruption.
Can somebody who understands politics please explain to me :

Is there a way where we can re-obtain the lands sold to the chinese offshore companies?
What would be the method that the average person can contribute to this.

Please don't start saying what parties are good or previous parties actions, If i could know the answers to the 2 questions, specific and targetted to them.

I thank you for your information.
mmhmm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #21
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
Sorry to Hijack the thread but I'm clueless on what actions are possible.

https://www.facebook.com/TheLabourCo...c_ref=NEWSFEED

This talks about how our meat,dairy , power , ports are sold in ownership to the chinese. My statement is . Treason, Economic Invasion and Corruption.
Can somebody who understands politics please explain to me :

Is there a way where we can re-obtain the lands sold to the chinese offshore companies?
What would be the method that the average person can contribute to this.

Please don't start saying what parties are good or previous parties actions, If i could know the answers to the 2 questions, specific and targetted to them.

I thank you for your information.
That's an easy one, just Nationalise all foreign owned property.
Then stand back and wait for the reactions.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #22
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
Buy them back.

Also buy them before the Chinese buy them. And little people can make a difference, there is one investment group that is attempting to purchase large properties like the Kidman one through crowdfunding (for lack of a better term).

obviiously they were not successful in purchasing the kidman property
Old 05-02-2017, 07:45 PM   #23
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The US thread isn't going too bad. Thing is it takes just one person to attack someone else who can't ignore it and boom it all turns to crap.

But if the idea got up I'd be in!
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #24
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
The US thread isn't going too bad. Thing is it takes just one person to attack someone else who can't ignore it and boom it all turns to crap.

But if the idea got up I'd be in!
The trouble with politics as with other things is that there are extremes of the spectrum that are not interested in discussing policies or views but are zealots who want to push their views onto everyone. Nothing said will change their view of the situation
Old 05-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #25
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

For anyone who wants to discuss politics.

Here are a couple links where you can discuss it all you like. Get amongst yourselves (PM or whatever) and you can discuss them with each other on the following forums.

https://www.politicsforum.org/forum/

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

http://www.politicalforum.com/

http://www.politicalforum.com/australia-nz-pacific/

Better still, get onto one of the above forums and see if you can start a thread to discuss Fords etc.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2017, 11:17 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
For anyone who wants to discuss politics.

Here are a couple links where you can discuss it all you like. Get amongst yourselves (PM or whatever) and you can discuss them with each other on the following forums.

https://www.politicsforum.org/forum/

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl

http://www.politicalforum.com/

http://www.politicalforum.com/australia-nz-pacific/

Better still, get onto one of the above forums and see if you can start a thread to discuss Fords etc.
But I want to discuss politics with AFF, not them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
The trouble with politics as with other things is that there are extremes of the spectrum that are not interested in discussing policies or views but are zealots who want to push their views onto everyone. Nothing said will change their view of the situation
Sounds like AU Falcon owners but we still have them here
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2017, 08:21 AM   #27
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:

Yep & unlike illegal immigrants we are not going anywhere, that's because of the UN Detroit convention that AFF is signed up to.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #28
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2

Yep, I agree.

I think Russ should permanently ban the OP of this thread, and anyone who agrees with him.

I would also force them to drive a 70's 4 cylinder pooftamatique for the rest of their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Make it unmoderated discussion, problem solved.

If you don't want to talk politics, money and religion then don't, but don't stop those who do.
They're not stopping you, you can talk about it as much as you like, just not here.

Quote:

Start with this bloke Russ, he's a known troublemaker.
3 users like this post:
Old 06-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #29
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
I would also force them to drive a 70's 4 cylinder pooftamatique for the rest of their life.
At one stage I owned a 75 Corolla 1200cc auto. It went hard! Could do 120km/h flat chat
Old 06-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #30
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
At one stage I owned a 75 Corolla 1200cc auto. It went hard! Could do 120km/h flat chat

That's exactly the beast I was thinking of.

My aunt had one too, it was a 2 speed Toyoglide.