Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #31
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueses
If your so anti-revenue raising.. there is one simple, basic answer to all you numbskulls..

DON'T SPEED.. you won't get a fine and they won't raise revenue.

its so fricken simple.
Had my learners for a year, P's for 3 years, and opens for 15 years. All clean with no infringments and no fines or points loss. :

So thank you to those who pay for the crap roads I drive on daily. :
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #32
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
If your so anti-revenue raising.. there is one simple, basic answer to all you numbskulls..

its so fricken simple.
You must work for Captain Bligh, seriously when you look where some of these cameras are put, blind freddy knows that they are pure money making machines. The one at Nudgee for instance is put on a sweeping bend right as you go from a 100kph to 90kph (which by the way used to be 100kph all the way though before the upgrade), and added with zero tolerance on speedo error. The worst part is they don't have to pay for policing that strip any more, so all other crimes can be committed freely without fear of being caught. Plus this is the thin edge of the wedge, what if Bligh decides to just keep buying more cameras, then she can start putting off police staff, IE: toll operators, bus and train ticket conductors, it's just the start. If the Govt was really interested in saving lives on the road then they would start with reading their own statistics, then hire more police presence, make the roads safer (not just in the ribbon development line that they created), and teach younger drivers defensive driving and the danger that there is on the roads. May be had the Govt spent a bit more wisely we would not be in this situation.

Last edited by cosmo20btt; 03-03-2010 at 10:19 AM.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #33
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
You must work for Captain Bligh, seriously when you look where some of these cameras are put, blind freddy knows that they are pure money making machines. The one at Nudgee for instance is put on a bend right as you go from a 100kph to 90kph, and added with zero tolerance on speedo error. The worst part is they don't have to pay for policing that strip any more, so all other crimes can be committed freely without fear of being caught. Plus this is the thin edge of the wedge, what if Bligh decides to just keep buying more cameras, then she can start putting off police staff, IE: toll operators, bus and train ticket conductors, it's just the start.
no he's a mexican; allready brain washed.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #34
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:

its so fricken simple.
I haven't contributed to the stealth tax scheme, for a long long time now, but I still hate the system.
I hate that every other brainless road user that plods along gets pinged by these contraptions, giving the government it's 'hit', I believe its an addiction for them, and now they cant give it up. Where are they supposed to all of a sudden produce $400m for the budget?
The number of infringements given out for people that are doing under 10km/h over is a huge amount compared to the number of tickets given out for 25+km/h over. Whats the bet that the highest percentage of infringements would actually be for under 5km/h over.
Is the person that creeps over by 5km/h because they were watching the road for kangaroos, not their speedo, a filthy killer that needs to be stopped?

For speeding fines to be a 'punishment' the effects/consequences of the infringement need to be felt instantly. It's like trying to punish a dog for digging a hole under the fence a week later, it doesnt work as their is no connection to the offence.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:31 AM   #35
Flaming Mo

Quote:

its so fricken simple.

You sound like Anna Bligh’s speech writer. She said something similar when our power bills went up 15.5%. “Just use less electricity and it won’t affect you”.

I reckon we wouldn’t mind so much if they did a better job of spending our money. But I guess they need funds to supplement the nice 3.1% pay rise they give themselves two months ago.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #36
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

its so fricken simple.
Is it so fricken simple? How?
If you say you do not speed and never have, that would be a lie. If you or anyone havn't been caught doing so by a camera, it is only through luck.

If, you are in the 0.1% of the driving population that have never sped, then you are a menace on the road and obviously spend more time reading your speedo than concentrating on driving safely.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:13 AM   #37
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

its so fricken simple.

I think you are missing the point here. Does it not concern you that the government of the day is using deceptive means against the public? Very few of us pure as the driven snow and suffer the human stain of being error prone.

I am a penalty free driver and have been negotiating traffic for well over thirty five years. Not a bad record if I do so say myself and yet I hate with a penchant the insidious creep that is government intrusion into every facet of my life. I can't walk the city without knowing a camera is trained on me, I can't ply the roads without knowing there is a hidden camera on streets that have never had an accident, how do I know my movements aren't being stored in a database?

Sure it's easy to say don't break the law and you won't get caught, but how do I know my personal life isn't or won't be catalogued for some sherlock holmes in the office of subterfuge for future profiling? As outlandish as it seems, the facists were able to get a handle on millions upon millions of people's movements seventy years ago and they didn't have computers.

Not all of us are so arrogant as to think people should accept the social conformities foisted on us by governments and interest groups. The freedoms we took for granted have disappeared because of public apathy, simple things like having a picnic in the park and sharing a longneck, going to the cricket and throwing a beachball around, finding a park along a side street at the beach, pulling the tinnie out and dropping it into the water with a six pack, playing street cricket without a council permit,..... it just goes on and on. No wonder people cocoon themselves in their cars, away from the madness of beaurocracy gone insane with power, no wonder they make errors while driving, given the myriad of daily rules and social engineering norms they have to obide by and I wouldn't be suprised if many of those camera fines are a result of a subliminal desire to protest against being told what a safe driving speed is mixed with a little ambitious thrill in an otherwise very beige and ordered society.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:25 AM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

its so fricken simple.
But not as simple as you.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #39
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Don't speed and then they won't get thier money? Yes, so then the budget has a large hole in it, they have to recover that. How? Lower the speed limits across the nation, so we start speeding again, then we stop speeding at those speeds and before you know it we are driving everywhere at 20KM/H in a car that can safely drive at 140KM/H on a country highway, I know even late model Tritons can do it, let alone my XR6!

If I can get away with something, I will, until I know someone will or does push back and I have to pay a consquence for doing the wrong thing. The governments are getting away with that "something" and we have to push back before it gets worse. It's not all about wanting to break the laws, sometimes about keeping our laws fair and sensible!

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #40
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
Wait till they get the cameras that are being set up here in WA that scans every cars number plate. for rego, unlicensed drivers, wanted persons etc.
How in hell does that work! does that mean every time your better half, or someone else, is driving you around cause you are under suspension a flying squad will be vectored to swoop down on the car?? that would get old pretty quick...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #41
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
How in hell does that work! does that mean every time your better half, or someone else, is driving you around cause you are under suspension a flying squad will be vectored to swoop down on the car?? that would get old pretty quick...
No..they send in SWAT.....
Old 03-03-2010, 12:14 PM   #42
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets put this in perspective..no-one objects to speed cameras being used.ITS HOW THEY ARE USED thats the problem. They are supposed to be used in KNOWN black spots!
But they aren't. They are at the bottom of hills, behind trees, bus shelters etc!!. When they are used as intended, drivers will stop complaining about them. But when its blatant revenue raising as is the current useage, drivers will rightly complain.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #43
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Lets put this in perspective..no-one objects to speed cameras being used.ITS HOW THEY ARE USED thats the problem. They are supposed to be used in KNOWN black spots!
But they aren't. They are at the bottom of hills, behind trees, bus shelters etc!!. When they are used as intended, drivers will stop complaining about them. But when its blatant revenue raising as is the current useage, drivers will rightly complain.
In Vic they are now called 'Safety Cameras' which simply adds insult to injury. You are right though, they are not positioned where speed is killing drivers, I don't think I have ever know of a camera to be in such a position.

+1 More police presence
-1 Less 'safety cameras'
+1 more road training
= Less road deaths.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you don't speed, you don't get fined.

If you follow all posted speed limits and road laws, you don't get fined.
Don't you mean:

If you don't speed you won't have an accident?

If you follow all posted speed limits and road laws you won't have an accident?

Bit of a SIMPLE mistake there Herr SpinDoktor........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #45
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Don't you mean:

It has worked in both respects for me. :

But I hate the way in which these speed cameras are used most of the time and that I am affraid, is a simple revenu raiser. But that is aok by me.... what realy sheits me is they call them saftey cameras and say they help the road toll, which most of the time is just pure BS.

I wish all involved would just say ..... hey we are rolling out all these new speed cameras to get more coin in the public purse. But at the same time they should also say ...... and we are also going to roll out a few thousand more police to pull you up and trow the book at you if you are doing the wrong thing as this is a saftey mesure that will help reduce the road toll.

Now the above would be the right and honest way to do things, and the effect would be far more reaching than the current BS way.

The goverment of today should man up and stop the BS and realy do something constructive to lower the road toll. The first step would be to get rid of Cpt Bligh as we all know it's phisically impossible for her to grow a set and man up.
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #46
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Mo
Hope this may explain why the QPU regularly enters debate in relation to policing issues.
Thanks, a very well thought out a reasoned answer to my question.

I guess at the heart of this, what i am trying to understand is does the QPU have the authority to speak on behalf of the QLD PD or is it enough that it is implied because the QPU is made up principally of QLD PD employees. It seems to be enough for people to draw the conclusion on here so i'm assuming Joe Public thinks the same.

From your description, its almost as if the QPU is the public loud speaker that the QLD PD cannot have. I'm just wary of jumping on board the band wagon that says 'the QPU thinks it's revenue raising so the QLD PD must think the same'. That seems a little presumptuous to me.

In essence, it is very interesting that a big organisation like QPU has made this statement, i'm just trying to work out how much weight this statement has. Not that it will necessarily change anything.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #47
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Don't you mean:

Well said! It's not about reducing accidents, its about increasing fines!!

On the way up the princess hwy some mornings it gets STUPID!! 80km/h speed limit, yet near all the speed camera's you have people all over the road slowing down to 70, sometimes 60km/h, in fear of getting a ticket! Often those behind have to slam on their breaks!

How is this any safer then people going abit of the speed limit.
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:24 PM   #48
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
On the way up the princess hwy some mornings it gets STUPID!! 80km/h speed limit, yet near all the speed camera's you have people all over the road slowing down to 70, sometimes 60km/h, in fear of getting a ticket! Often those behind have to slam on their breaks!

How is this any safer then people going abit of the speed limit.
Precisely. Often a sudden disruption to the flow of traffic can be more deadly than a segment of traffic that is flowing well ableit a few KM over the speed limit (but driving to the conditions).
Old 03-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #49
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
If you don't speed, you don't get fined.

If you follow all posted speed limits and road laws, you don't get fined.
Let me guess your politics:

Society's needs come before the individual's needs? That it is necessary that the individual should finally come to realise that his own ego is of no importance in comparison with the existence of the nation, that the position of the individual is conditioned solely by the interests of the nation as a whole.

The popularist message (e.g. surreptitious use of speed cameras) must be so popular and on such an intellectual level, that even the most stupid of those toward whom it is directed will understand it. That people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way around, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.

How did I do?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #50
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I actually do object to speed cameras being used, at all. I already gave the reason for this earlier in this thread, basically a speed camera is a "slow point" on the road, does nothing for road safety.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #51
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Precisely. Often a sudden disruption to the flow of traffic can be more deadly than a segment of traffic that is flowing well ableit a few KM over the speed limit (but driving to the conditions).
Not just the disruption to traffic flow in terms of increased braking required, but also leads to an increase in agitation leading to increased levels of road rage leading to increased numbers of high risk manoeuvres (changing lanes without looking, aggressive lane changing, etc)
Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #52
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar
I actually do object to speed cameras being used, at all. I already gave the reason for this earlier in this thread, basically a speed camera is a "slow point" on the road, does nothing for road safety.
Also on freeways the braking actually flows on through the traffic reducing the traffic flow and stop starting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Not just the disruption to traffic flow in terms of increased braking required, but also leads to an increase in agitation leading to increased levels of road rage leading to increased numbers of high risk manoeuvres (changing lanes without looking, aggressive lane changing, etc)
I'd love to see graphs side by side to the correlation between the increase in road range and the increase speed camera's in Vic.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #53
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Let me guess your politics:

Society's needs come before the individual's needs? That it is necessary that the individual should finally come to realise that his own ego is of no importance in comparison with the existence of the nation, that the position of the individual is conditioned solely by the interests of the nation as a whole.

The popularist message (e.g. surreptitious use of speed cameras) must be so popular and on such an intellectual level, that even the most stupid of those toward whom it is directed will understand it. That people can be made to see paradise as hell, and also the other way around, to consider the most wretched sort of life as paradise.

How did I do?
Very good...but also i would like to see, along with more cameras, is more of them black unmarked choppers getting around.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #54
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I'd love to see graphs side by side to the correlation between the increase in road range and the increase speed camera's in Vic.
That would be interesting to see.
But I don't think you would be able to just put it down to cameras, as it would also be influenced by the increase in the number of cars on the road and the increase in travel time in general due to this.

I tell ya though, I definitely get very annoyed (vocally annoyed in the car) when travelling along Princes Hwy with not many people around and I still have to slow down for the Kooyong Rd crossing because none of the plebs will travel through an intersection, with a speed camera, at the posted speed limit.
However, I do sympathise at the same time, because I have been known to do it as well simply from not being certain what speed zone I am in (on Springvale Rd. 70, 80, 60... anyone's guess), so maybe a speed sign very close to every speed camera may help to alleviate some of this.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #55
Jondalar
Formely FG G6E Turbo

MAD I agree that should be a national rule, no operating any kind of speed camera more than 100m past a speed limit sign.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #56
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Also on freeways the braking actually flows on through the traffic reducing the traffic flow and stop starting.

That and the increase in rear end accidents since all the fixed red light and speed camera's started popping up. I was so close to being sandwiched today because the guy in front locked up his front passenger side tire slamming on his brakes at 80kmh to stop at an amber light... I pulled up really quickly althought a little closer than I normally prefer, but I at least have good brakes on a new car.... the problem was I could see the whites in the eyes of the guy behind me who wasn't in such a new or well equiped car (VT commo ;) ). I wouldn't want to guess how close he stopped behind me, but I reckon it would be best measured in millimeters.

How this could ever be considered the 'safe' option I'll never know... but it’s a consequence of this governments ridiculous revenue raising and I bet there are plenty of people that haven't been so lucky.
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #57
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

its so fricken simple.

What an over simplistic view. :
Whilst it is all very well and good for the true believers to champion the new piggy banks as some sort of conduit to protect their own stupidity; others are able to see them for what they are. For example, we have had the road toll increase as a result of cameras, and the number of rear-end accidents has trebled around these cameras. How could this be the dummies may ask? Well, could have something to do with motorists taking eyes off the road to concentrate on their speedo's to avoid tickets. Now I don't know about you, but I think someone who may go 5-10km/h over the limit but watches the road is a little safer than someone who is obsessed with watching their speedo to prevent a ticket; ignorant of their surroundings.

But what would I know? I only drive something that weighs over 400 tonne at over 950km/h. Unlike your average motorist, I spent an absolute fortune and many years perfecting my motoring skills, especially being able to take all info in at once whilst still maintaining visual minimums. Honestly people, stop being so gullible and swallowing the government scare. If speed killed then no one would fly anywhere as we'd all be dead, race car drivers would die every day, no one would have went to the moon or explored space etc etc. You should question the motives of government especially when they have been all but useful.

Quote: