Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default WTF Channel 7...stop rewriting history!!!

Just started to watch the Bathurst coverage, and see a garage full of beautifully lighted classic racing cars. Front and center is Brockies A9X Torana,and thought it looked a little odd.
Then I noticed that they'd blurred out the sides and front of the car so people are not traumatised by seeing the "Marlboro" lettering.

They also did it with the video of the old races while they were doing the tribute to Brock...bastards.

Stop trying to rewrite history and let people see the old bangers in all their glory!!

2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Erko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: WTF Channel 7...stop rewriting history!!!

absolutely miserable.
Erko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sadly it probably falls under law that there is to be no commercial advertising allowed regarding ciggerettes.

CH7 would be breaching the laws and be up for big fines if they did.

Nothing to do with rewritting history.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #4
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Sadly it probably falls under law that there is to be no commercial advertising allowed regarding ciggerettes.

Spot on.Australian Broadcasting laws are responsible not CH7 rewriting history.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
flightstrike

Bloody pathetic!

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Hasn't stopped such cars appearing on shows like gasolene in all their glory.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Huge fines for even accidentally televising cigarette advertising, it might be
terrible, it might be pathetic but it's the law and not a new rule either.

$66,000 fine per breach in 2007, could you imagine how many examples they could cite in 2 minute highlight package..
Quote:
LINK
It is an offence to publish or broadcast a tobacco advertisement in
contravention of the Act.
The maximum fine for an individual who publishes or broadcasts an
advertisement is 120 penalty units ($13,200 as at January 2007). For a
corporation the fine is up to 600 penalty units ($66,000 as at January 2007).

These penalties are set out in s.13(1) and s.15(4).
Most people willingly comply with the Act. The Government takes breaches
of the Act seriously. The Department of Health and Ageing follows up on
every reported breach. The Department can refer alleged breaches of the
Act to the Australian Federal Police to investigate. If appropriate, matters can
then be referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions for prosecution in the
courts.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-10-2012 at 01:56 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Maybe Ch7 and V8 Supercar TV who produce the show (not CH7)don't want to flaunt the law and be subjected to huge fines.Don't people go down to the pub and whinge to there mates anymore?
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
Bathurst is a commercial broadcast of a multi million dollar sporting event.... not to mention it also has major sponsorship agreements etc.... little bit different to "gasoline".

Its verbotten to show ciggie advertising of any sorts at any sporting event in any shape or form... "Gasoline" has probably just been lucky.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
gtfpv
GT

IM 43 and a non smoker , all those packets of chocalate cigerrettes i carried around in my pockets and ate when i was a kid , and i dont smoke . i dont agree with cigarette advertising , but the word MARLBOROUGH ISNT A SIN . especially on an old racing car that would breach the rules if it were to race today .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #11
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Jim Goose is spot on what he has posted

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Its been discuss in the retro liveries thread.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 04:41 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Opened again to keep the rubbish out of the retro livery thread.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

Maybe the government should just ban smoking altogther (i gave up smoking nearly 20yrs ago).... Oh no the politicians wont do that cos they wont get the big amount of $$$ they currently get from the taxes on cigarettes.

Just wait till alcohol advertising gets banned (it will happen sooner or later)..

At the end of the day the individual person has the choice to smoke or not, just like all the other choices we all have in life.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

I understand why it's blurred on tv (laws today etc). But in today's telegraph there's a story on Brock (promoting Bevs new book) and there's a big pic of the 84 Malbaro liveried Commodores, no censoring whatsoever. I understand it's a different medium but that's just silly.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How far do we take it? Does Channel 7 start blurring out the Channel 9 livery on the old blue Camaro in old film clips?

Censorship has many forms, both overt and subtle. My son in law made the point of asking "Will we ever be able to see unmolested video of the classic Bathurst races ever again on TV, such as a documentary?" and he's dead right. Given what has happened today, we won't. A "lap of champions cars from the past" would be a mass of blurred out paintjobs, race suits and old film would be blurred as well...I think this morning an interview with one guy wearing Winfield logos on his shirt was just a mass of blur. Rediculous.

We don't blur out Nazi logos in movies or old newsreels because some people might get upset. We don't hide the alcohol logo's on race cars even though it causes a lot of damage to society...one could argue more damage than cigarettes.

These cars are a piece of motoring history, and young people today deserve to see them as they were in all their glory. We don't look at them and think "That's a cool cigarette advert...I might spark up a durry"...we look at them and get transported back to a time in our youth when these things were racing around giving us a thrill, and to blur out half the car does a disservice to the people who have spent years and buckets of cash restoring them for our pleasure.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:31 PM   #17
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Wouldn't the term "advertising" infer that it was paid for by the tobacco company? The government banned them producing new advertising or re-running old advertising campaigns, but showing "historical" images may not be illegal.

It is possible that channel 7 is being over-cautious just in case?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #18
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ffs deal with it....

pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #19
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder
Wouldn't the term "advertising" infer that it was paid for by the tobacco company? The government banned them producing new advertising or re-running old advertising campaigns, but showing "historical" images may not be illegal.

The law is clear... It is an offence to publish or broadcast a tobacco advertisement in contravention of the Act.

Ch7 is not STUPID and is following the law to the letter... It doesnt matter that the company didnt pay for the add... its still an advertisment.

how hard is it to understand that CH7 didnt make the rule?

Quote:
How far do we take it? Does Channel 7 start blurring out the Channel 9 livery on the old blue Camaro in old film clips?
Sorry but this the dumbest statement so far.... they blurred out the Malbro add because its AGAINST THE LAW to show ciggerette adds in any form... Its not rocket science.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder

No, broadcasting recognised cigarette brand names on those car is enough to be in breach of the ban.
The fine in 2007 was $66,000 per breach for a corporation, you can only imagine how many times that fine
would be repeated in a 2 minute tribute.....continued breaches by a network can result in loss of broadcasting license
and to a network, that kind of folly is courting a disaster they would not entertain in the slightest.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if the statements above are correct, I was right...never again (and this seems to be the first year it has been an issue as far as I can remember) will we ever see a TV program showing classic Bathurst races or documentaries or motoring shows where we can see an "un-blurred" version of the cars...

...anyone who thinks that isn't something important and a fundamental change in the way we are allowed to view our motoring history just doesn't get it...

There is aleready an ongoing push to ban alcohol advertising...imagine how attractive the cars will look then...not to mention whatever the next thing is that will in years to come be politically incorrect to allow to be viewed and which will have to be blurred out of history...
Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #22
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
So if the statements above are correct, I was right...never again (and this seems to be the first year it has been an issue as far as I can remember) will we ever see a TV program showing classic Bathurst races or documentaries or motoring shows where we can see an "un-blurred" version of the cars...

...anyone who thinks that isn't something important and a fundamental change in the way we are allowed to view our motoring history just doesn't get it...

There is aleready an ongoing push to ban alcohol advertising...imagine how attractive the cars will look then...not to mention whatever the next thing is that will in years to come be politically incorrect to allow to be viewed and which will have to be blurred out of history...

Ahh this isnt something new.... the laws came into effect in 2006.
Its been blurred out before.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #23
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

To those who say Ch. 7 can't broadcast the old cars without the logo displayed due to the law, I can't agree you, with the way I read it.
As has been said before, the cars were on Nine's Today show, & I'm also sure I've seen old footage of Brock's & others cars on the 9 or 10 news in the last few days without logo's covered/blurred.

This is part of the Tobacco advertising act. & I've highlighted the important parts as I read it.

Quote:
11.3.1.1 Tobacco advertising permitted under the TAP Act
All tobacco advertising and sponsorship was completely banned, with limited exceptions, by the passage of the TAP Act. A tobacco advertisement may be broadcast or published if it is accidental or incidental to the matter being broadcast. Individuals who do not receive any benefit from broadcasting a tobacco advertisement are permitted to do so. For example, individuals may wear clothing that is branded with tobacco industry trademarks without breaching the Act.
The logo's on the historic cars & footage thereof, would be incidental to the matter being broadcast, also Ch.7 or the vehicle owners, would not be receiving any benefit or payment from broadcasting the said logo's. Therefore the way I read it, it's OK to be broadcast.
They are incidental because of this. The dictionary definition of incidental is: "accompanying, but not a major part of something". Tobacco logos accompany the story on historic footage, be-it for Brock or someone else, but are not a major part of it, nor is the story about the particular tobacco company. Therefore is is incidental to the subject matter in the footage being shown.

If Lownde's car was painted identical to the logo it may be a different matter on a technicality, but you'd have to be of an age or associated with smoking Marlboro to link the images together, young kids or those who have no association to smoking, wouldn't have sufficient knowledge of the logo to link them together, unless pointed out to them, & thus is highly unlikely to have any effect on them taking up smoking Marlboro or any other cigarette.
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Quote:
The law is clear... It is an offence to publish or broadcast a tobacco advertisement in contravention of the Act.

Ch7 is not STUPID and is following the law to the letter... It doesnt matter that the company didnt pay for the add... its still an advertisment.

how hard is it to understand that CH7 didnt make the rule?

Sorry but this the dumbest statement so far.... they blurred out the Malbro add because its AGAINST THE LAW to show ciggerette adds in any form... Its not rocket science.
Jim Goose,

Please accept my most sincere apology if my post was in any way rude or offensive towards you. Clearly it must have been for it to motivate you to use “STUPID” in your reply.

Secondly, I have a keen interest in advertising and the law,and my experience has been >>>> The law is subject to interpretation in court. My interpretation of the LINK posted by JDP80 was in reference to the word “advertising”, a word that is arguably the focal point of the law.

Thirdly, my assumption of Channel Seven was based on the fact that the Seven Network’s channel (7mate) broadcast “American Pickers” and that show has featured collectable tobacco advertisingin the past, un-blurred.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #25
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
IM 43 and a non smoker , all those packets of chocalate cigerrettes i carried around in my pockets and ate when i was a kid , and i dont smoke . i dont agree with cigarette advertising , but the word MARLBOROUGH ISNT A SIN . especially on an old racing car that would breach the rules if it were to race today .
I even used to light the ends of them, and still have never smoked.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Historic footage would be classed as incidental.... having replica cars with the advertisement right there in front of you broadcast live cant be classed as an accidental broadcast and could be conscrewed as breaching the Act.

The footage the OP was referring to was a bunch of replicas shown together, not historical footage.

When the laws were introduced there was a lot of hoo-haa about what could be shown and what couldnt. Replicas race cars were often shown with their adverts name blurred out when statically shown.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
I even used to light the ends of them, and still have never smoked.
I thought I was only kid that did that. And I took up smoking around the age of 15. I quit at 31.

I wouldn't say I was a smoker because of commercial advertsing. It was more because my mum was a smoker.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #28
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They probably just want to avoid any potential backlash and/or lawsuits from the Government. Especially since minister Roxon has a hardon against the tobacco companies.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #29
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

I've just seen historical footage of Brocky's 1979 win with the word "Marlboro" blurred out. This is what I have a problem with, big time.

The owners of those surviving cars today have to comply with the Nanny State, it's something they have to grapple with at historic meetings, the AGP etc. The broadcasters as well have to comply.

If Brocky's A9X ran around the track today the broadcaster would have to blur out that very offensive word. This is bad enough but to have to, or feel they have to do this for footage that is 33 years old it just detracts from the spectacle and really cheeses me off.

Nanny State political correctness gone too far!!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #30
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
ffs deal with it....

man thats the bridge i want to build..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post