Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mondeo EcoBoost Oil

Hi All,

Just thought I would share my experience.

I am looking to do my own oil changes between scheduled services at my local Ford dealership. I have found that the 2.0L EcoBoost Engine requires Fords latest approval code WSS-M2C913-C in a 5W-30 Full Synthetic Oil.

After speaking to a couple of local dealerships this oil is not sold in parts as a 5L oil container. Infact, it is hard to source at all.

The dealerships tend to use ether of the following; Castrol Magnatec Professional A5 5W-30 Full Synthetic or Valvoline SynPower FE 5W-30 Full Synthetic as both have Ford Approved WSS-M2913-C compliance.

I have spoken to both Castrol and Valvoline locally and neither have in a 5L container, only available in a 20L drum. For me right now that was not convinient. The only other local option was Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5W-30 Full Synthetic, however the price for a 5L and 1L bottle was well over $120AUD.

So I sourced Genuine Ford Formula F 5W-30 Full Synthetic (WSS-M2913-C) from a UK Ford Dealership in a 5L and 1L container (as it is a 5.4L fill). It turns out to be Castrol oil anyway. This can be sourced for a very attractive price, ordered on Monday and arrived today.

Just thought I would share my learnings of this great EcoBoost engine!!!

Old 17-08-2012, 11:35 PM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mondeo EcoBoost Oil

Oil was used today as part of the 1yr / 15,000km service. I will definatley be getting more from the UK to do my own 6mth interval service at home.
Old 18-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
mas89

thinking about doing the same, dropping the oil between the ford services about the 7500klm make, the capri turbo i just sold was done every 5000klm's.
mas89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi All,

Just another update...

I have just conducted another intermediate oil / filter change today.
Pretty much 6mths from my last service date.

Once again I attempted to source some oil locally and once again I was faced with the same issues of getting 208L (44 gallon) barrels.

So off to make contact to the friendly Ford dealership in UK, but wait they have advised that they are no longer able to send liquids internationally. So I tried a cople of other avenues in the UK and faced the same response. So back to the drawing board...

Managed to source (x2) 5L containers of Total Quartz 9000 Future NFC 5W-30 fully synthetic group 3 oil. This is Ford WSS-M2C913-C compliant / Approved A5/B5. Total / Elf are a French manufacturer similar to Motul.

http://www.total.co.uk/uk/ukcorporate.nsf/home?readform

I was able to source this locally from Onshore Oils Hemmant; http://www.onshoreoils.com.au/ All I can say is the service from the staff there and the assistance of Kevin was second to none!

So for anyone looking to do interim services on their EcoBoost Mondeo's I strongly recommend the above to source the CORRECT OIL!!!

If anyone can source any other brands locally that is Ford WSS-M2C913-C compliant / Approved please add to this thread...
Old 21-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #5
BlueBear
Shockwave

Mobil also make a suitable oil and I believe is available in smaller quantities...
http://www.mobil1.co.uk/why-mobil-1/...xsffgpce4ky17a

Personally, after my fathers experience with the dealer using Castrol Professional oil, I wouldn't let them use it in my engine ever.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear View Post
Mobil also make a suitable oil and I believe is available in smaller quantities...
http://www.mobil1.co.uk/why-mobil-1/...xsffgpce4ky17a

Personally, after my fathers experience with the dealer using Castrol Professional oil, I wouldn't let them use it in my engine ever.

Cheers,
No, I have spoken with Mobil also, only a 208L Barrel is available at this point.
Motul still sell the oil, however only in 1L containers (and the price rockets up!) Fuchs does also, however only available in 4x 5L as a minimum order.
Old 21-01-2013, 02:50 AM   #7
BlueBear
Shockwave

Oh well, worth a mention as I was able to get some for dad, but it was to meet the Saab standard, so a bit different it seems.

Pleased you got it sorted, nothing wrong with Total oil that's for sure.
Might I suggest you buy it and supply it to Ford when you get the main servicing done, I always reckon your' better to keep the one oil in the engine rather than mixing it up.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Why not use Nulon 5W-30 full syn.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Engine_Oils/

They at least have 5L as well as 1L bottles. Or u can buy the 10L container.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Why not use Nulon 5W-30 full syn.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Engine_Oils/

They at least have 5L as well as 1L bottles. Or u can buy the 10L container.
I contacted Nulon also, however their oil is not Ford WSS-M2C913-C compliant / Approved A5/B5. So a no go...

Remember this thread is related to EcoBoost 2.0L Turbo engines, not n/a or diesel engines.

But I do like Nulon products and have supported their products in the past without hesitation.

Even based on the Lube Guide, they only recommend their oil outside manufacturers warranty period.
Old 28-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Mondeo EcoBoost Oil

Have you emailed/rung Penrite? Amazing range incl high tech!
Repco have it.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
Have you emailed/rung Penrite? Amazing range incl high tech!
Repco have it.
I contacted Penrite and they where very helpful, however their oil is not Ford WSS-M2C913-C compliant. It only meets Ford WSS-M2C913-A and Ford WSS-M2C913-B Approvals. It is however ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5 fuel economy approved. If this link works; http://www.datateck.com.au/Lube/PenriteAus/ by searching for an EcoBoost it comes up with two options; HPR 5 5W-40 / HPR 0 0W-30. Shame really as the HPR 5 5W-40 s available in 6L containers.

They did say that either of the above would be fine though, however by my own choice and that of the research around Ford WSS-M2C913-C compliant oils I will not use it.
Old 28-01-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Mondeo EcoBoost Oil

I use the HPR 5 suitable for my dual fuel FG

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 02-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Tried Liquimoly oil or Shell Helix ultra extra?

Both have full synthetic 5W-30, maybe they might meet the standards?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
hnn17

Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5W-30 5L has the WSS-M2C913-C on the label.

I went to autobarn to find some Liquimoly for the focus lw, saw the Motul with the spec on the front label so bought that instead, $89.
hnn17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #15
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Tried Liquimoly oil or Shell Helix ultra extra?

Both have full synthetic 5W-30, maybe they might meet the standards?
I have contacted Liqui Moly in Oz and they are unable to source / import the only oil that meets the spec; Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Special F 5W-30.

As for Shell, spoke with them also and the Shell Helix Ultra AF 5W-30 is once again only available in a 208L drum.

However both are readily available in UK.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #16
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnn17 View Post
Motul 8100 Eco-nergy 5W-30 5L has the WSS-M2C913-C on the label.

I went to autobarn to find some Liquimoly for the focus lw, saw the Motul with the spec on the front label so bought that instead, $89.
Curious to know what state you are in, as I have also spoken with Motul and they advised that 5L bottles where unavailable. Only 1L bottles at this stage. (that is not to say that some retailers such as autObarn may stock this already in a 5L bottle).

Not sure about the Focus, but the Mondeo EcoBoost is a 5.4L fill (including the oil filter).
Old 03-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #17
hnn17

western sydney nsw, i still have some left in the bottle as the focus needed less than 5L.

it's sunday you might want to go driving around see what's available on the shelf instead of emailing oil companies, they don't know what's there locally.
hnn17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi All,

Here is an update. Ford now have the following updated specification; WSS-M2C913-D more specifically suited to latest generation Diesel engines. Here is a link; http://www.olyslager.com/index.php?o...id=238&lang=en
Old 12-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #19
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it is that time of year again and I am looking to do an interim service in January for the EcoBoost. I was looking to get some more of the Total Quartz 9000 Future NFC 5W-30 oil again however decided to do some more research. Looking back on the Penrite sit it looks as though the have updated the specifications of the HPR 5 oil. It now meets the following specifications; WSS-M2C913-A/B/C/D and it is an API SN oil!!!

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/product...&id_products=1

And it is readily available at most auto parts stores and can even be had for a discounted price when the sales are on! Based on that, I will give the HPR 5 a try for my next interim service...
Old 12-12-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use it in my FG Falcon and its dual fuel compatible which is what I want.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 12-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #21
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a 20L drum of the A5 Magnatec Pro from the local Castrol distributor, it was well under $300 - worked out far better than buying separate 5L bottles.

Good thing is that I can use it in my ST as well as the PX Ranger, so none will go to waste.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #22
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, so in the interest of getting the right oil and searching the internet to gather as much info as possible I have come up with some additional findings. Might not be new for most f you but additional info all the same and might help others...
The Genuine Ford Formula F 5W-30 Full Synthetic (WSS-M2913-C) I have previously used is API SM/CF, ACEA A1/B1.
The Total Quartz 9000 Future NFC 5W-30 is API SL/CF, ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5.

I mentioned above I was looking to use the Penrite HPR5, but here is another to add into the mix; Mobil 1 5W-30 (although I am sure there are still hundreds of others that will suit also).
Here are Mobil 1 5W-30 Specs; API SN, ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5, ILSAC GF-5 however it DOES NOT specify WSS-M2913-C.

Here is a link to a great oil resource site; http://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

So for example the Mobil 1 exceeds both the Ford and Total oil by meeting the latest API SN spec, both A1 and A5 as well ILSAC GF-5 RC (resource conserving)...

So in this instance is the Ford Spec WSS-M2913-C even relevant?

Happy for any input...
Old 15-12-2013, 09:29 AM   #23
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An the other thing is my owners manual was probably written in 2007/2008 for the current FG that I drive, and every year new higher spec oils are replacing the older ones.

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 19-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #24
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just bought a 5L and 1L of Mobil 1 5W-30 for the next interim oil change in early Jan. Will see how it goes..
Old 27-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #25
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, so interim oil change was conducted yesterday (26/01/2014) and I used the Mobil 1 5W-30 (newer vehicle formula). I also used a Liqui Moly Oil Detox at the same time.
New FoMoCo Oil Filter and Sump Plug with integrated o-ring.

All went well with no issues.

Oil that came out still looked ok.

Next dealer Capped Price Service will be the 3yr / 45,000km service and that is due in September...
Old 28-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #26
mas89

The 60.000 capped service a killer. $850 ..they change the gearbox oil..which is $60 a litre.but it had to be done..
Old 06-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #27
mondeo zetec
Broogg

Valvoline also make a fully synthetic, compatible with Ford M2C-913-A/B/C 5W30 motor oil that has a label "suits Mondeo Fiesta and Focus" in a 5 Litre container. Might give that a go.
mondeo zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #28
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeo zetec View Post
Valvoline also make a fully synthetic, compatible with Ford M2C-913-A/B/C 5W30 motor oil that has a label "suits Mondeo Fiesta and Focus" in a 5 Litre container. Might give that a go.
Back when I started this thread in July 2012 Valvoline did not have retail packs available. But yes, I have seen them in Supercheap etc. in 5L containers.

Now I have a TDCi I am looking once again at the oil.
The latest spec is now WSS-M2913-D.

I was not happy with the Mobil 1.
I will now be looking at the Penrite HPR5 as t meets WSS-M2913-A/B/C/D.

And as we need about 5.6L for a change, the HPR5 is available in 6L or 5L and 1L combo!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM   #29
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
Now I have a TDCi I am looking once again at the oil.
The latest spec is now WSS-M2913-D.

I was not happy with the Mobil 1.
I will now be looking at the Penrite HPR5 as t meets WSS-M2913-A/B/C/D.
I got this from the site:

HPR 5 is suitable for use in with Petrol/LPG (Dual Fuel)/E10 & Diesel and other conventional fuels. It is suitable for light duty diesel engines where API CF, ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 is recommended. It is NOT suitable for use in diesels fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/engineoils-products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=1
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #30
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
I got this from the site:

HPR 5 is suitable for use in with Petrol/LPG (Dual Fuel)/E10 & Diesel and other conventional fuels. It is suitable for light duty diesel engines where API CF, ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 is recommended. It is NOT suitable for use in diesels fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).

http://www.penriteoil.com.au/engineoils-products.php?id_categ=1&id_products=1
Yes, that had me worried too!
But the technical staff have confirmed that it is fine to use in Ford DPF's as it meets the current spec "D" (for Diesel's) it will be fine.

But yes, I have called them a few times about this and everyone has confirmed that it is suitable for use.