Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
xr8cam

Default Rust Stop Electronic Protection

After cleaning up some rust in my AU and reading some of the problems other AU owners have had, I have been looking into these kits on ebay- item no 290867414830. There is a 30 minute video at the bottom of the ebay page where the guy demonstrates fitting & how it works. Anybody got one, used one, know somebody with one? They are a very reasonable price, especially if they work
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #2
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rust Stop Electronic Protection

I've heard that they work best when fitted in conjunction with a Hiclone and an Energy Polariser...
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Not sure about that particular one, but I've fitted a CouplerTech unit nine years ago to my FPV.
To this day, not a spec of rust anywhere on the body. I can't say for sure it's because of this device, but hey, it wasn't that expensive, so why not.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Pure quackery see previous discussions http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444000 and also see http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/announ...ces-ceci-units
Old 27-10-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
I've heard that they work best when fitted in conjunction with a Hiclone and an Energy Polariser...
Hey ! don't knock these fella...got both on my mower....
Old 27-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #6
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57 View Post
Hey ! don't knock these fella...got both on my mower....
Yea only need to cut the lawns monthly .. Lol
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #7
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Had a Couplertec on our AU wagon and even after 9 years parked outside and 400k the paint still came up with a shine and there was no rust. Got a different brand one on my Sportsman and the existing surface rust that was in some of the nooks and crannies still hasn't spread any further after 4 years of ownership and got one on my Delica and it's still rust free even though it goes on beaches every year.

Works for me.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 10:30 PM   #8
.:4:.
Kicking back

You also have to take into account where you live. Example, I live on close to the toongabbie creek that is freshwater untill the weir at parramatta where it goes brackish. My mum lives on the parramatta river (she claims sydney harbour, but it's not) and I took her 2 year old stainless steel bbq that she didn't use and after replacing the few rusted out nuts and bolts at the time, it's got nothing on the bunnings spec non stainless replacements I put in 4 years ago. To further that, my dad lives on a headland on the south coast that cops pretty bad salt spray, and even an expensive stainless bbq only lasts 18 months to 2 years with a cover before they disintegrate. I can't say if these kits do or do not work, but no one has really shed much light on the conditions that the car lives in.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 10:46 PM   #9
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did see a report a few years ago where the person that had one fitted said the bolts mounting it to the body rusted and it fell off LOL!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 10:55 PM   #10
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
LOL. Couldn't have said it better myself. They're a load of ****.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #11
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Had a Couplertec on our AU wagon and even after 9 years parked outside and 400k the paint still came up with a shine and there was no rust. Got a different brand one on my Sportsman and the existing surface rust that was in some of the nooks and crannies still hasn't spread any further after 4 years of ownership and got one on my Delica and it's still rust free even though it goes on beaches every year.

Works for me.
No offence, but it's this kind of anecdotal testimony which these companies depend on. Circumstantial evidence is inadmissible. I'm not doubting what you say, but I'm sure there's more to it.
Old 28-10-2016, 12:57 AM   #12
xr8cam

I have filed back, treated with rust convertor and painted about 5 small areas of rust and sprayed a fish oil combination in to a few places. Iv'e washed out all channels under rubbers and waxed them when dry. I live in the hills district in Sydney but the car spent a couple of years close to the water before being locked in a garage in s/west sydney. I was interested in these devices because of the small rust that was in the car when I bought it. I reckon I'll keep an eye on the notorious places, keep her washed & polished, out of the rain and put the $250 in the bank. Thanks for all the replys, and the jokes were good, especially the energy polariser on the lawnmower. Classic.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 08:08 AM   #13
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
No offence, but it's this kind of anecdotal testimony which these companies depend on. Circumstantial evidence is inadmissible. I'm not doubting what you say, but I'm sure there's more to it.
I live within sight of the sea and all my vehicles pretty much live outside. I fitted the units myself as per instructions supplied. I deliberately bought different brands of ERPS units to see if there was a difference and if there was a difference in the vehicles after a time and all 3 vehicles have stood up. The Couplertec is currently sitting in the shed as we sold the AU wagon but will be fitted to the next long term vehicle we buy.
I can't imagine what more there can be to it than what I've said. None of the cars have extra rust protection of fish oil etc. The white wagon still held a shine after 10 years, the delica is a 94 grey import and is showiing no signs of deterioration but the Fairlane is showing signs of sunburn on it's upper surfaces, but no rust that I have come across apart from the surface rust around the panel joints where the boot/rear quarter/C pillar meet that was already there when I bought the car.
I'm not going to defend ERPS units as a whole as there are too many that prove to be crap, but there are also some that you rarely hear bad things about, all I know is the ones I looked into and bought seem to work for me.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #14
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
I live within sight of the sea and all my vehicles pretty much live outside. I fitted the units myself as per instructions supplied. I deliberately bought different brands of ERPS units to see if there was a difference and if there was a difference in the vehicles after a time and all 3 vehicles have stood up. The Couplertec is currently sitting in the shed as we sold the AU wagon but will be fitted to the next long term vehicle we buy.
I can't imagine what more there can be to it than what I've said. None of the cars have extra rust protection of fish oil etc. The white wagon still held a shine after 10 years, the delica is a 94 grey import and is showiing no signs of deterioration but the Fairlane is showing signs of sunburn on it's upper surfaces, but no rust that I have come across apart from the surface rust around the panel joints where the boot/rear quarter/C pillar meet that was already there when I bought the car.
I'm not going to defend ERPS units as a whole as there are too many that prove to be crap, but there are also some that you rarely hear bad things about, all I know is the ones I looked into and bought seem to work for me.
No worries, mate. But do you understand the science behind how these things supposedly work?
Old 28-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A close mate of mine introduced electronic rust prevention systems to Australia and I personally met the American inventor. Over a two years period, I witnessed his product prevent rust on a Toyota Troopy that was regularly driven into the sea to haul out mullet nets. All previous Troopy's used by this fisherman had developed serious rust within that period and were trash after 4 years. ERPS are not meant to halt rust that is already present. There are many copies of his original on the market today and most are just scams. I've seen too many misinformed comments on these devices and am not interested in having an argument here, so won't be returning to this thread.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
and I personally met the American inventor
He probably got done by the FTC https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...-prohibits-use
Old 28-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #17
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used one on my EL XR6 and lived within 15kms from beach but never had rust.

Mum has one in her car in which dad installed, been on the beach now for about 12year, no kidding a stone throw direct line of sight to beach and uses electronic rust prevention.

Looks as new as the day of purchase. Not a sign of rust

I reckon they work
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #18
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the sacrificial anode is OK, but these things are not ... I assumed that they were a sacrificial anode in a box, and the limit in their function was tied only to the electrical connection of the panels in the vehicle ... please tell me where I am wrong.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 06:54 PM   #19
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
A close mate of mine introduced electronic rust prevention systems to Australia and I personally met the American inventor. Over a two years period, I witnessed his product prevent rust on a Toyota Troopy that was regularly driven into the sea to haul out mullet nets. All previous Troopy's used by this fisherman had developed serious rust within that period and were trash after 4 years. ERPS are not meant to halt rust that is already present. There are many copies of his original on the market today and most are just scams. I've seen too many misinformed comments on these devices and am not interested in having an argument here, so won't be returning to this thread.

Don't bother even getting on here with your useless 2 cents then, obviously you reckon they work but aren't prepared to discuss it with someone who disagrees!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #20
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Works for me.

Not really too sure that the paint comes up with a shine still is an endorsement for a rust preventing device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 28-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
So the sacrificial anode is OK, but these things are not ... I assumed that they were a sacrificial anode in a box, and the limit in their function was tied only to the electrical connection of the panels in the vehicle ... please tell me where I am wrong.
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection

In simple terms in most real world applications for or a sacrificial anode to work the metal object an the anode has to be immersed in a conductive liquid like seawater. So yes if you throw the car in the ocean and keep the battery on dry land it may work. The less used anodic protection has possibly more potential.

However, this para in the Wikipedia article is interesting if it is true:

Quote:
The Auto Saver System underwent new and independent laboratory testing in 2007, commissioned by Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada. The test was conducted by an ISO accredited laboratory[39] under government oversight to ensure full legal and regulatory compliance, and was designed by an independent corrosion engineer from McGill University and NACE member[40] to determine if The Auto Saver System inhibits corrosion in vehicles.[41] The results clearly demonstrated that The Auto Saver System significantly inhibits the natural corrosion process occurring in automobiles,[42] and have been validated by leading corrosion engineers and scientists[43] in the United States and Canada, as well as by the Government of Canada.[44]

I remain sceptical and shall investigate these assertions to the extent I can.
Old 28-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #22
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post

I remain sceptical and shall investigate these assertions to the extent I can.

http://www.autosaver.com.au/tass_works.htm

Quote:
The Auto Saver System is designed with integrated circuits and silicone chips.
and

Quote:
The Auto Saver System provides an artificial barrier of electrons to restore the electrical imbalance that occurs at potential rust sites.
Sounds like a polariser.....
Old 28-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

OK as I read it the references in the Wikipedia articles essentially say it can provide some protection to partially wet panels and/or those exposed to aqueous salt solution. So perhaps is snow and salted roads Canada or some similar situation (close to the beach) where the car body remains moist it might be useful.

In any event there is an advantage in having one if it comes with an insurance company unconditional guarantee; as then you are effectively buying one as an insurance policy against the cost of rust repairs.
Old 28-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #24
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Put a sticker like one of these on it and all won’t be lost.

It may not stop rust but a thief will definitely take time to think.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #25
sellery
Bogue

I've been inclined to accept the technology after attempting to use one to slow down the process on an already rusty car. After having it on the car for a couple of years I didn't think it was doing much, but when I parked the car for 6 months (under cover, dry climate) with the battery disconnected, the corrosion really took off.

BA XR6T, BF XR6T, EL 347, XE 4.1, Lewis 351C, S1 XJ6
sellery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #26
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
but when I parked the car for 6 months (under cover, dry climate) with the battery disconnected, the corrosion really took off.
Parked cars always do that; a combination of nothing to keep the car warm and dry and condensation.
Old 15-01-2017, 01:23 PM   #27
Kryton

Unless your car is a boat that lives in water, it doesnt work.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 03:03 PM   #28
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
Unless your car is a boat that lives in water, it doesnt work.
It doesn't work on steel boats that spend all there lives in water, salt or otherwise. If it did shipping companies worldwide would be using it, if it did work they would collectively save multiple millions a year on chipping/painting and steel replacement......
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #29
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This electronic corrosion control system will work if,like similiar systems.the operator is prepared to spend about 25 hrs per day 8 days per week applying snake oil to the effected metal parts
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 05:56 PM   #30
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
You also have to take into account where you live. Example, I live on close to the toongabbie creek that is freshwater untill the weir at parramatta where it goes brackish. My mum lives on the parramatta river (she claims sydney harbour, but it's not) and I took her 2 year old stainless steel bbq that she didn't use and after replacing the few rusted out nuts and bolts at the time, it's got nothing on the bunnings spec non stainless replacements I put in 4 years ago. To further that, my dad lives on a headland on the south coast that cops pretty bad salt spray, and even an expensive stainless bbq only lasts 18 months to 2 years with a cover before they disintegrate. I can't say if these kits do or do not work, but no one has really shed much light on the conditions that the car lives in.
I think the real test would be to put one on a bbq.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post