Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Millennial drivers are highway hazards, survey shows

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2...hows/97888336/

I suspect similar figures in Oz.
Quote:
Millennial drivers are the worst.

That’s not just their elders talking. The AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety found 88% of drivers 19- to 24-years-old acknowledged engaging in risky behavior such as texting while driving, running red lights or speeding during the previous month, according to a report released Wednesday.

The survey of 2,511 drivers from Aug. 25 through Sept. 6 by market research firm GfK found:

• Millennials acknowledged typing or sending a text or email while driving at nearly twice the rate of other drivers (59.3% to 31.4%).

• Nearly half of Millennials reported running a red light even if they could have stopped safely, compared with 36% of the rest of drivers.

• Nearly 12% of Millennials said it was acceptable to speed 10 mph over the speed limit in a school zone, compared with 5% of other drivers.

“Alarmingly, some of the drivers ages 19 to 24 believe that their dangerous driving behavior is acceptable,” said David Yang, the foundation’s executive director.

The findings come as driving is becoming more dangerous: The number of traffic deaths rose to 35,092 in 2015. That 7% increase from a year earlier was the largest one-year jump in five decades.

The survey also found drivers are hypocrites. Motorists told AAA that distracted, impaired and aggressive driving are unacceptable. Yet many drivers engaged in the same behaviors they had condemned.

While 40.2% of drivers reported reading a text or email during the previous month, 78.2% called that “completely unacceptable,” the survey said.

Nearly 80% of motorists also said drowsy driving is “completely unacceptable,” but 28.9% admitted driving within the previous month when they were so tired they had trouble keeping their eyes open.

Almost all drivers, 92.8%, called driving through a red light unacceptable when they could have stopped safely. But more than one in three, 35.6%, acknowledged running a light during the previous month.

There was strong support from 81% of drivers for requiring ignition locks for even first-time offenders of driving while intoxicated. And 63.5% of drivers agreed with a proposal to reduce the blood-alcohol concentration from the current national standard of 0.08% to 0.05%.

But 2.5% of drivers acknowledged driving within an hour of using marijuana and alcohol during the past year.

“It’s critical that these drivers understand the potentially deadly consequences of engaging in these types of behaviors and that they change their behavior and attitudes in order to reverse the growing number of fatalities on U.S. roads,” Yang said.

Last edited by aussiblue; 15-02-2017 at 10:09 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2017, 10:20 PM   #2
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Millennial drivers are highway hazards, survey shows

Why is 'millenials' specified? It should just be "young drivers are the worst".
The young drivers of every generation have been the worst, it's not a trait specific to millenials.

Congratulations to the researchers who discovered this, who'd have thought young drivers with the least experience and the most testosterone are the worst on the road?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

Good thing I was born in the 80's. I hate getting pigeon holed. 14 years at the wheel and one not at fault accident. No tickets either. Absolutely shocking stats. I'm ashamed with myself. I should have had atleast 5 write offs back in the day but I failed. 11 speeding tickets, but again I failed. Oh well, no stereo types for me.. atleast insurance has eased off..
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2017, 03:31 AM   #4
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't understand why we have suddenly started referring to Gen Y as "Millennials"?

Shouldn't Millennials be those from the new Millennium?
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 08:47 AM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Phones and in-car-entertainment systems are the biggest problem ... and unfortunately younger people seem to be more slaves to them than older ones.

Riding a motorbike you tend to spend a lot of time watching drivers (to see if they are watching you and the road) ... the number of drivers sailing along head down, oblivious they are approaching a red light, have crossed a double white line, etc ...

Drugs and driving ... another issue.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #6
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I don't understand why we have suddenly started referring to Gen Y as "Millennials"?

Because Gen Y are not Millennials?
Just as Gen X are not Gen Y?
Old 16-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #7
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
Phones and in-car-entertainment systems are the biggest problem ... and unfortunately younger people seem to be more slaves to them than older ones.

Riding a motorbike you tend to spend a lot of time watching drivers (to see if they are watching you and the road) ... the number of drivers sailing along head down, oblivious they are approaching a red light, have crossed a double white line, etc ...

Drugs and driving ... another issue.
Of course, some people riding motorbikes are just as bad as people driving.

Saw one guy on the highway doing 100+ while looking down at his phone texting.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #8
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
Because Gen Y are not Millennials?
Just as Gen X are not Gen Y?
I realise that the internet is not an infallible source of information, but if you
Google Gen Y or Millennials, they appear to be one in the same.

One site defines them as "a person reaching young adulthood in the early 21st century."

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 08:06 PM   #9
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Of course, some people riding motorbikes are just as bad as people driving.

Saw one guy on the highway doing 100+ while looking down at his phone texting.
Dont worry .. he'll likely stop doing that permenantly very soon.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #10
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a croc, that headline could read methheads,the elderly,Asians,new to country,mums with kids,Suzuki swifts with frangipani stickers..... Everyone drives like crap, I witness them all every day.....

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #11
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
What a croc, that headline could read methheads,the elderly,Asians,new to country,mums with kids,Suzuki swifts with frangipani stickers..... Everyone drives like crap, I witness them all every day.....

Your post sir, i can relate to.

Drivers are getting worse which makes sense as driver education is next to nothing and common sense is even lesser.
Watch how good the roads will be if drivers are made to go through the things pilots have to go through to gain their ticket.

And dont forget people, nearly 46% of statistics are made up to suit an adgenda. Ill leave that with you guys.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
Kicking back

I reckon if the driving test had to be done in a supplied xa falcon or hq kingswood with the base motor, column shift manual and no boosted brakes, there would be many less incompetent people on the road. The reverse parallel park would be more of a chalenge, and stopping requires a bit of effort. Same as low speed steering.
Even better if there is no passenger mirror. That would test awareness to the surroundings. But no. It's not that hard to pay attention and indicate out of a roundabout (that wasn't a rule for my test) once then leave with a provisional licence and go back to being oblivious to the world. Even dumber, in nsw you can use auto reverse parallel park if the cars fitted with it. My car when I did the test didn't even have parking sensors and I nailed it. My current work hack doesn't either and I survive just fine.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2017, 09:11 PM   #13
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I didn't think there were many young people on the road any more.
Half seem not interested in getting licenses and driving cars.
It is way easier to catch public transport where you can sit and twiddle away on your phone.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #14
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Difference being is that these millennials are a new generation of pussies. The boys are more feminine than the girls. Where both won't accept responsibility for their own actions and will look at blaming someone else for their misfortune or bad decisions. Baby boomers seem to be the ones copping the blame for any bad cards dealt to this selfish tantrum throwing generation at the moment.
So yeah, not that I believe surveys, but I think there's a link between them being highway hazards and can do no wrong/head too far up the **** to realise a mistake and correct/minimise it for the future.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2017, 10:34 PM   #15
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
It is way easier to catch public transport where you can sit and twiddle away on your phone.
Assuming that there's public transport available
Old 17-02-2017, 12:28 AM   #16
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Public transport is usually a freak show. It amazes me that anyone would actually choose to have it as their only means of transport. For me, it will always be the last resort.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2017, 04:00 PM   #17
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Just people trying to keep up with the trends.
Some people seam to think Gen Y and Millennials are the same thing, some think they are different. Either way ever generation thinks they are better than the others, and the also think they had it the hardest.

"Living in Brisbane back in my day to get a pail of milk we had to walk 30 miles barefoot through the snow and it was uphill both ways"
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 05:02 PM   #18
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Assuming that there's public transport available
And if you're living in Melbourne, if the public transport actually works...
Adamz Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #19
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

These types of threads talking about the "young 'uns being a huge problem", are timeless.

Pretty sure I could copy and paste this thread in 20 years, change the dates and name to GenABCD and it would still fit.

As mike_nofx posted, same ****, different year, same outrage.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 08:39 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
What a croc, that headline could read methheads,the elderly,Asians,new to country,mums Yeahwith kids,Suzuki swifts with frangipani stickers..... Everyone drives like crap, I witness them all every day.....
Rubbish article. They surveyed people in an age bracket and then wrote an article about it. With a click bait headline.
Old 17-02-2017, 08:46 PM   #21
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
These types of threads talking about the "young 'uns being a huge problem", are timeless.

Pretty sure I could copy and paste this thread in 20 years, change the dates and name to GenABCD and it would still fit.

As mike_nofx posted, same ****, different year, same outrage.
That's true. You could also go back in a time machine and it still would be relevant.

40 years ago the young un's were still the most dangerous drivers on the road.
Only difference is back then they were all drink driving regularly. Now the young ones are texting while driving regularly.

If I had a dollar for every baby boomer and Gen x who has said to me something like
"We used to drink at the pub for 5 hours non stop then drive home ****faced, but it was a different time back then", I would have enough to put it in a 40 year term deposit and save for a house deposit.

Yeah it was a different time back then, like your cars had drum brakes, no crumple zones, no air bags, no TCS, ABS, TCS, and all the other acronyms we have these days.

Both my parents and a variety of older relatives and work mates have some stories about being it pretty bad car crashes when they were young. Smashing through peoples fences, police chases, cars rolling multiple times, and so on. In most of these situations the driver was under the influence of alcohol.

Me personally I once had a friend who ran into the back of someone at the traffic lights.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 10:22 PM   #22
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

And you neede a survey to realise this

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #23
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
not having licences or owning vehicles doesn't seem to stop some of them

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #24
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
That's true. You could also go back in a time machine and it still would be relevant.

40 years ago the young un's were still the most dangerous drivers on the road.
Only difference is back then they were all drink driving regularly. Now the young ones are texting while driving regularly.

If I had a dollar for every baby boomer and Gen x who has said to me something like
"We used to drink at the pub for 5 hours non stop then drive home ****faced, but it was a different time back then", I would have enough to put it in a 40 year term deposit and save for a house deposit.

Yeah it was a different time back then, like your cars had drum brakes, no crumple zones, no air bags, no TCS, ABS, TCS, and all the other acronyms we have these days.

Both my parents and a variety of older relatives and work mates have some stories about being it pretty bad car crashes when they were young. Smashing through peoples fences, police chases, cars rolling multiple times, and so on. In most of these situations the driver was under the influence of alcohol.

Me personally I once had a friend who ran into the back of someone at the traffic lights.
Yeah nowadays we can only drink maybe 3 or 4 pints then drive home. Can't be too obvious to bystanders who will dob ya in...

Subaru Outback '02
Old 17-02-2017, 11:40 PM   #25
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Yeah nowadays we can only drink maybe 3 or 4 pints then drive home. Can't be too obvious to bystanders who will dob ya in...
Thats a questionable method. .. I bought a house in walking/stumbling distance to the pub with only 1 pedestrian crossing to negotiate..
Old 18-02-2017, 01:24 AM   #26
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thats a questionable method. .. I bought a house in walking/stumbling distance to the pub with only 1 pedestrian crossing to negotiate..
Haha that's brilliant!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 18-02-2017, 01:41 AM   #27
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Haha that's brilliant!
I'm not a big drinker and its the local sports club. It only gets loud during the weekdays when there are bowls tournaments on. I only know that from sick days. Otherwise it's a place where you can fart and be guaranteed no one would smell it... empty. The house was bought for the house, not the pub. Does that bump up the value¿
Old 18-02-2017, 02:23 AM   #28
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Drinking at the bowls club is the best. $4.50 pints and stubbies.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2017, 03:42 AM   #29
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow who'd guess young kids would be pretty retarded at driving and doing dumb ****

I'm questioning the intelligence of those that actually waste time on making a study out of something so obvious.

As my old boss said it's all about bums on seats and it keeps people employed.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #30
Kicking back

I had to endure a booring driver safety course today due to the 5 accidents the young guy at work has had since he start of last year. The instructor noticed out of the 2 vans and my ute, I was the only one to reverse in. When asked I explained that I have no rear visibility other then mirrors and have a big blind spot so its easier to see the space is clear then I can atleast see the traffic when I go to pull out. That was pretty much what the next 20 minutes of the course was about. The young guys reason was incase he needs to open the boot, and the old guys reason was because he always does parking in that spot. Their vans have no side windows and a worse blind spot then the ute. I drove on for 6 years so I know why to reverse in. The second part of the course was how to reverse and reverse parallel park. Simple. Not so much for the young bloke. I cringed a few times seeing my ute come within a hair of the parked cars. When I jumped in his van, first thing I noticed was the mirrors were skywards and there was no reference to the car at all no matter how far I leant around. No wonder he drives using other cars as brail.