Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #31
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: No Bronco for Oz ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Jeep are notorious for dreadful build quality and reliability, so saying
the quality of an Indian built Compass is just as good as an American
built one is not a glowing endorsement.
They're apparently better from India...
Dr Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2020, 07:42 AM   #32
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
No to Bronco

Yes to GV80
Not really aimed at the same market, the Genisis GV80 is targetting high-end luxury SUV's
Old 11-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #33
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Ok, I overstepped the mark in hopes of drawing out someone like you.
Apologies for taking a shot at Everest. I know that you have a big soft
spot for it and in fact, I extend apology to all Everest owners.

Please, for a moment imagine you’re the program director for Ranger/Everest/ Bronco
Given the benefit of hindsight, Is there something that you would do differently with Everest to give it a better chance of sales in our market. Ford told us it was benchmarked against Prado but sales have obviously been disappointing for Ford.

Is this just marketing’s fault or are ther certain deficiencies that were let through that now hold it back from being truly great?

I’m asking because Ford has made certain admissions about the time lag from concept to new product being too long and I suspect that’s what happened with Everest, the market research was out of date before the project finished.

I’ll start it off by saying that the body is too rounded
And the Ranger nose is something that detracts from
a product that should have its own identity, not just
aRanger S/W
You are wide of the mark here. Everest keeps growing. Already 16% up year on year. And it came within 10 units of outselling the significantly cheaper MU-X. And 100 odd of the Pajero Sport. It has continued to grow every year it has been on the market. Yes it doesn't get near the Prado, but it's a fleet whore. It will take years to eat into it's market share.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu66et
Ford should've just concentrated on being a competitor to the Fortuner, Pajero Sport/Challenger, MU-X etc.
It already outsells the Fortuner, and comes close to the others, while being more profitable. Why not aim for the top?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #34
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You are wide of the mark here. Everest keeps growing. Already 16% up year on year. And it came within 10 units of outselling the significantly cheaper MU-X. And 100 odd of the Pajero Sport. It has continued to grow every year it has been on the market. Yes it doesn't get near the Prado, but it's a fleet whore. It will take years to eat into it's market share.
But commercial fleet sales are a great way of accessing potential future buyers with high disposable income.
Adding a better engine would also be a great way to encourage more sales.

Last edited by jpd80; 11-03-2020 at 05:53 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2020, 06:25 PM   #35
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol, 16% of bugger all is still bugger all, if it sustains that its year on year total increase for the entire 12 months will be what Prado sells in a month.

I see more new Prado's in the first hour of each day out on the road than I see Everest's In an entire week, but im sure they're all just fleet sales...sighs.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #36
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Lol, 16% of bugger all is still bugger all, if it sustains that its year on year total increase for the entire 12 months will be what Prado sells in a month.

I see more new Prado's in the first hour of each day out on the road than I see Everest's In an entire week, but im sure they're all just fleet sales...sighs.
To be fair it's sales of 500 vs Prados 1300 so it's not bugger all...a 16% increase is decent growth for a 1st gen version that must get some major changes after Ranger is renewed....and it is the vehicle of choice for hire car companies.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:05 PM   #37
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
To be fair it's sales of 500 vs Prados 1300 so it's not bugger all...a 16% increase is decent growth for a 1st gen version that must get some major changes after Ranger is renewed....and it is the vehicle of choice for hire car companies.
I didn't say 500 was bugger all, I said a 16% increase was bugger all if its coming off a small base, were talking something like 70 units here, hardly setting the world on fire and for all we know that increase could be simply a number of Dealers registering demo's.

And lets not forget, Prado is competing with its own stablemates for those 1300 sales, Kluger(900) and Fortuner(216), there's nothing really taking sales off Everest in Ford land.

Anyway, back to Bronco, God knows why Ford is playing with this retro styling stuff, Toyota tried that with FJ cruiser and it flopped, no wonder they wont be bringing it to our market.

Last edited by BENT_8; 11-03-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:43 PM   #38
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
I didn't say 500 was bugger all, I said a 16% increase was bugger all if its coming off a small base, were talking something like 70 units here, hardly setting the world on fire and for all we know that increase could be simply a number of Dealers registering demo's.
the B.I.L just picked up his "new" Everest... less than 5 thousand ks on the odo.. & yep.. previous owner.. FOA head office.. I drive past HO a fair bit, lots of new rangers Everest & mustangs in the car park daily, but lets be honest here, every car company head office carpark would be similar, filled with new cars which all account to the overall sales numbers.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #39
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And lets not forget, Prado is competing with its own stablemates for those 1300 sales, Kluger(900) and Fortuner(216), there's nothing really taking sales off Everest in Ford land.

Anyway, back to Bronco, God knows why Ford is playing with this retro styling stuff, Toyota tried that with FJ cruiser and it flopped, no wonder they wont be bringing it to our market.
Symantics and it isnt worth the effort....now how dare you knock the Toyota FJ...just because the mighty Toyota failed at retro isn't the reason others should not bother, Mustang being one obvious example.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #40
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

looked at the pics of the bronco, have to admit, think I liked the previous renders of what it was suspected to look like compared to the one shown now.. I always pictured a Bronco as a 2 door, not a 4 door.
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 11-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #41
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I just looked up Russell's Annual summaries in tech resources
Sales of Everest seem to have flattened off
2016 Everest sales.......3,614 + 6,923 Territory
2017 Everest sales.......4,607 + 1,764 Territory
2018 Everest sales ......5,482
2019 Everest sales.......5,333 + 1,893 Endura
Old 11-03-2020, 08:23 PM   #42
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
looked at the pics of the bronco, have to admit, think I liked the previous renders of what it was suspected to look like compared to the one shown now.. I always pictured a Bronco as a 2 door, not a 4 door.
There is a two door as well.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #43
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just looked up Russell's Annual summaries in tech resources
Sales of Everest seem to have flattened off
2016 Everest sales.......3,614 + 6,923 Territory
2017 Everest sales.......4,607 + 1,764 Territory
2018 Everest sales ......5,482
2019 Everest sales.......5,333 + 1,893 Endura
This just highlights a proper Terry replacement and Everest could be worth 10,000 sales alone...
Old 11-03-2020, 10:11 PM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In more recent history Suzuki has been successful with the Jimny's retro styling.

It's very basic for a new car, but has a waiting list of over a year. Sales might die off after the initial hype, but it's been out for a year so far and the waiting list is still there.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2020, 11:27 PM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Symantics and it isnt worth the effort....now how dare you knock the Toyota FJ...just because the mighty Toyota failed at retro isn't the reason others should not bother, Mustang being one obvious example.
I guess the problem with these retro looks is you have to stay true to the original concept or it becomes just another vehicle, you can only flog that horse so long before it needs a refresh and then it loses its appeal, look at the Swift, was a cult car in the 90's, made a big splash when it came back and then they gave it a freshen up and its lost its appeal.
Mustang has died in the **** over the last 12 months.
When Toyota released the FJ I thought it was a cool thing, but I never expected it to last and it didn't, in fact im surprised it lasted as long as it did.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #46
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess the problem with these retro looks is you have to stay true to the original concept or it becomes just another vehicle, you can only flog that horse so long before it needs a refresh and then it loses its appeal, look at the Swift, was a cult car in the 90's, made a big splash when it came back and then they gave it a freshen up and its lost its appeal.
Mustang has died in the **** over the last 12 months.
When Toyota released the FJ I thought it was a cool thing, but I never expected it to last and it didn't, in fact im surprised it lasted as long as it did.
I could quote Shakespeare (or that old writer bloke as nephew called him) and say "To be or not to be" but I prefer our local Ozzie take.."Yeah..nah" on FJ....

yep Mustang has dropped a lot however it's still the biggest seller in it's segment, if it dropped back to last then it would ring alarm bells. I just think everyone that wanted one now has it and only a new model will get it back up although the state of our economy will have a huge bearing on this I feel. Luckily it will keep being updated regulalrly thanks to being a US built product.
I may be wrong but I think Ford has sent out warning letters on these leaked photos...oops...better security for toilet paper at a supermarket then internally at Ford...or just a great marketing plan to start the hype.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #47
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
yep Mustang has dropped a lot however it's still the biggest seller in it's segment, if it dropped back to last then it would ring alarm bells.
Yep and until last month ZB outsold Stinger 2 or 3 to 1 in the large car segment depending on the month but again 2 or 3 to 1 of **** all is still **** all.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:06 AM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At some point, the minor brands will have to face the RHD viability question, that could see more Brands disappearing. That in turn should have a positive knock on effect for the survivors, the strong get stronger.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep and until last month ZB outsold Stinger 2 or 3 to 1 in the large car segment depending on the month but again 2 or 3 to 1 of **** all is still **** all.
Just adding up last month’s vehicle totals, around 4,000 of the 4,800 are what you’d call high value sales to Ford.

I agree compared to Toyota and the Koreans, Ford in Australia is now a minor player in terms of sales. they’re only interested in making and selling vehicles that make sense to them. It’s disappointing that they leave so many sales on the table due to much higher prices but that’s their decision to make, right or wrong but, if they’re bent (LOL) on doing that, why not back themselves in with more high value products. I think it’s disgraceful how they just let SUV sales fall away, an area that should be doing much better sales wise.

Last edited by jpd80; 12-03-2020 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #50
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
At some point, the minor brands will have to face the RHD viability question, that could see more Brands disappearing. That in turn should have a positive knock on effect for the survivors, the strong get stronger.
The bigger brands that sell throughout Europe, or globally are fine. Plus the Japanese. Might effect the smaller players who's main markets are North America and China though.

Our market needs a culling. The most competitive market in the world they say, with the most brands sold in one country?

Seems absurd considering how small our market is in global terms. Just makes no sense at all.

The brands that would seem logical to dissapear would be Chrysler, Fiat, Citreon, Peugeot, Renault, Ssangyong etc. All small players who only sell small volumes.

Chrysler only sells the 300, and they sold less than 250 of them last year, alot of which would have been fleet sales to the police.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2020, 10:36 PM   #51
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It certainly looks the part of a proper 4x4 off roader, rather than a softroader SUV.

I like it. I also like the FJ Cruiser and I like the new Jimny.

Every other SUV looks like every other SUV, and it's boring as all hell.
But hey.

Buy it in white. Don't get anything different. Resale value trumps everything else.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2020, 11:04 PM   #52
Eurotrash

I'm probably in the minority here, but I for one am happy to know the Bronco Sport and Bronco won't make it here. For me, there isn't anything appealing to look at here. But then again, I'm not the target buyer for a vehicle like this. Either is the Ranger and Everest.
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2020, 11:07 PM   #53
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurotrash View Post
I'm probably in the minority here, but I for one am happy to know the Bronco Sport and Bronco won't make it here. For me, there isn't anything appealing to look at here. But then again, I'm not the target buyer for a vehicle like this. Either is the Ranger and Everest.
You're not in the minority, not sad it's staying in the gold old us of trump

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 12-03-2020, 11:27 PM   #54
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was ZB the biggest seller in it's segment as I don't even know.
I don't think ZB made as much profit as a Mustang sale anyway.
What's really bugging you?
Old 12-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #55
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Was ZB the biggest seller in it's segment as I don't even know.
Yes it lead the large car under 70k segment until February.
Old 13-03-2020, 04:18 AM   #56
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
This just highlights a proper Terry replacement and Everest could be worth 10,000 sales alone...

The 2020 Explorer is RWD/AWD - I have not compared dimension to the Tez, but it must be close.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2020, 06:40 AM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
The 2020 Explorer is RWD/AWD - I have not compared dimension to the Tez, but it must be close.
2020 Explorer is almost 200mm longer and roughly 100mm wider.
So yeah, it would feel a lot bigger to drive.
Old 13-03-2020, 07:41 AM   #58
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Forget the Bronco, hopefully we get the Exploder, then I can get my Sudanese friend and we're going to make a break for it from the Corona virus

Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #59
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes it lead the large car under 70k segment until February.
Interestingly ZB sold 5915 in 2019 and Mustang 3948.

As to Bronco and non-RHD announcements yet, maybe, just maybe, the model of factory approved local conversions is how Australia is going to head as shown with the two US models Ram and Silverado.
Old 13-03-2020, 11:10 AM   #60
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Forget the Bronco, hopefully we get the Exploder, then I can get my Sudanese friend and we're going to make a break for it from the Corona virus

Explorer was not developed for RHD