Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 06-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Don't Ford Want to Sell Mondeo's ?????

I enquired about a Titanium Hatchback and was offered $16k on my 2007 BF Mk2 Ghia with 67k on the clock!!! I said "you must be kidding" salesman said " no, its because Ford have low priced drive away deals thats affecting trade-in prices"
But dealer would put it on the lot for $23k-$25k.
Suzuki will give me $20k on a XLS Kizashi. !!!
Makes it hard to stay with Ford....

Old 06-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
Katoomba

Nothing changes. A few years ago I paid $36,000 for a Falcon. Decided to trade it in at 10,000kms and 10 months old on a $70,000 Nissan Patrol and was offered $15,000.

And I've never bought a Falcon since. I think the 2nd market for them is killed by discounted fleet sales.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Sounds more like they don't want to sell a BF2 Ghia with slightly above-average km's mate...

Do you think the $16k figure would have changed if it was a G6E or a Territory you were enquiring about?

I'm not looking forward to the Mondeo's depreciation either, but new locally-made cars are terrible.

However I paid $32k for my new X-Trail in 2004 and could still easily get $16k for it now... pretty happy with 50% retained value after 6 years...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasn't interested in a GSE or Tezza..Titanium Hatch was my first choice. looks like Ford put all in sales and not what the second hand value might be. Suzuki must also use Red Book no hesitancy in offering $20k trade in. Might keep the Ghia another year.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #5
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try buying a BMW cheap as a comparison! they create a perceived resale value for trade in's,its about 65% depends on model if Ford give me SFA for my MA TDCi Mondeo on a new MC then I'm off for a 520d or 320d

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #6
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOND30
Sounds more like they don't want to sell a BF2 Ghia with slightly above-average km's mate...
Yep, I think you nailed it there. No offence but your car is of very little interest to a Ford dealer because they all have at least a half dozen BF Ghia’s in the yard and they can’t sell the ones they have. Its highly unlikely to turn up on a Ford yard at $25k thats for sure, I suspect it'll go straight to the auctions where a trader will pick it up for around $16-$18k and flip it for $21,999. The Ford dealer will be happy just to get their money back on it.

I suggest you try this to test the offer from Suzuki;
Go back to the Suzuki dealer and negotiate the best possible cash price on the Kizashi XLS. They are dealing pretty hard on them at the moment to build market share so don't let them tell you that the price is the price! If you push hard enough than your should be able to negotiate to ‘drive one away’ for between $35-$36k. Now, just before you sign on the bottom line introduce the trade in again! Than see if they still offer you the $20k, I'm betting they won't!! I’m betting they still had some room to move on the price of the Kizashi and have given it to you on the trade in valuation.

Just my thoughts, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by paulie0735; 06-09-2010 at 07:58 PM.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
Try buying a BMW cheap as a comparison! they create a perceived resale value for trade in's,its about 65% depends on model if Ford give me SFA for my MA TDCi Mondeo on a new MC then I'm off for a 520d or 320d

apstar
MA TDCi around $18k max as a trade in. Best you hit the BMW dealer now.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Yep, I think you nailed it there. No offence but your car is of very little interest to a Ford dealer because they all have at least a half dozen BF Ghia’s in the yard and they can’t sell the ones they have. It highly unlikely to turn up on a Ford yard at $25k thats for sure, I suspect it'll go straight to the auctions where a trader will pick it up for around $16-$18k and flip it for $21,999. The Ford dealer will be happy just to get their money back on it.
Current price at dealers for the k's in QLD (mind you there weren't that many there). But your close on the money for what they are advertising. I also would think that a customer would try getting 1-2k off.

car sales
Old 06-09-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You're going to get bent over at any dealer with regards to trade in's.. Weather they get you with a bad trade in price or hold back on the discount on the new cars.. Sell your car privately & buy which ever car meets your needs!!

Why poeple get so hung up on trade price is beyond me, talk net cash change over!! When I bought my new Falcon, I had one dealer offer me 3K more for me trade in but was still 2K more expensive then what I paid net cash change over. Go figure!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 02:46 AM   #10
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes i concur. i recently traded a mazda tribute for an XR4 fiesta. they had 21k on the window. i researched and knew what was good value for the fez. i also knew what was fair value for my tribute. based on that, i had a changover figure in mind and paid only $500 more than that (but got some stuff thrown in to offset that)... if you took their ticket price, they gave me 4k more for the mazda than they have it for sale on their lot right now!!

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #11
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Why poeple get so hung up on trade price is beyond me, talk net cash change over!!
Exactly,

As for advertised prices, they mean squat! Its the price they are selling for that’s relevant.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #12
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry double post
Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM   #13
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Just sold my Outback 2003.
April trade-in price $7000 (market sales $15k)
June trade-in price $4000 (market sales still $13k-15k, and just gone over the magic 100,000mile mark = 160K kms)
....lets just say I sold it privately for somehwat more than the April trade-in offer
....and ....I paid $5k less for the new car by 'delaying' two months
Go figure !!!
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #14
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
MA TDCi around $18k max as a trade in. Best you hit the BMW dealer now.
So what would that car be on the second hand yard price after giving you $18k ..................$23,500

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
I enquired about a Titanium Hatchback and was offered $16k on my 2007 BF Mk2 Ghia with 67k on the clock!!! I said "you must be kidding" salesman said " no, its because Ford have low priced drive away deals thats affecting trade-in prices"
But dealer would put it on the lot for $23k-$25k.
Suzuki will give me $20k on a XLS Kizashi. !!!
Makes it hard to stay with Ford....
Lol and its only Fords that this happens to?? What do you think its worth considering you can buy a brand new G6E (based on the same finish as Fairmont Ghia) for $38,000??? They give you 16kay for it, what do they have to spend to put it on the lot? does it need new tyres or a service, a detail and roadworthy will cost them up to $500, new set of tyres another grand, we are talking $17,500 before they put it on the lot. THey put it on at $23,500, someone comes in and offeres em $21,500 cash.. whats that 4 kay profit for a car that may sit there for 90 days?? Do you know how expensive floor plan is or what it costs to run a yard? Do you think it costs peanuts?? Did you shop it between many Ford dealers??

Will Suzuki really give you 20 kay for your Fairmont Ghia? At what price are you paying on the new car?? They are probably not giving you the full discount on the new car, therefore increasing your trade in...

When ever im trading in a car I always shop on change over, its a bit hard to do that when your shopping out different brands...

PS the Mondeo Titanium is a way better car then that Suzuki thing.. the name puts me off alone!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, always be a cash buyer. Negotiate a deal then sell your car.

Unless it's something that's in demand used, but what would that be at the moment?
Old 09-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #17
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone understand the concept of OA ( Over allowance ) Net changeover is the only way to judge any trade in transaction on another car regardless of make or model .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #18
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
Net changeover is the only way to judge any trade .
That goes without saying, although its been said a few times already in this thread!!!