Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #61
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Jeep Gladiator - 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Same analogy applied to Ranger Raptor?
Both utes, both have similar payload and towing specs (although this Jeep is rated to 3.5t and 800kg payload in the USA).

I can see it appeal to existing Wrangler owners that like the concept, quirkinesses and off road ability but want a higher towing capacity and more space (normal Wrangler has pathetic load space).

Or someone in the market for a Ute that is actually decent off road without a throw back to the 1980s in ride quality, handling, performance, ergonomics and equipment levels of the 70 series.

Considering the current crop of high end Thai specials (Ranger Raptor excluded, by most accounts) are seriously over priced but don’t excel in any aspect, it is no surprise Jeep have tried to cash in on this overpriced emotionally driven segment.

Disappointing it won’t be sold here with the V6 diesel, or Jeep couldn’t offer the Rubicon with the Hemi V8.
Raptor still has the same size tray and can at least tow 2.5 tonnes. Gladiator has a small tray, and can only tow 2.1 tonnes. But i can’t see anyone using it for towing or work purposes. So again, what’s the point? I guess you can put some more gear in the back to go camping, but the dual role side of it the others do so well just isn’t there. It’s just a niche market toy. And an expensive one at that.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2020, 11:39 AM   #62
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Raptor still has the same size tray and can at least tow 2.5 tonnes. Gladiator has a small tray, and can only tow 2.1 tonnes. But i can’t see anyone using it for towing or work purposes. So again, what’s the point? I guess you can put some more gear in the back to go camping, but the dual role side of it the others do so well just isn’t there. It’s just a niche market toy. And an expensive one at that.
The standard Wrangler is rated to 2.1 tonne.
This is rated to tow 2.7 tonne, down from 3450kg US spec.
Tray is very similar to all the Thai specials. Actually bigger than D max, Ranger, Triton and Colorado, I just googled.

Niche vehicle for sure. You won’t get a more capable factory 4wd than the Rubicon. I’d love another Wrangler Rubicon, but the increased eye watering price for the JL, the low tow rating and interior space let it down for me. I have a 50kg GSD that won’t fit in one and occasionally tow up to 3t.
So this did appeal to me, until I found out the price, and the fact they aren’t bringing in the V6 diesel. Although I think the petrol V6 should be ok with the 4.11s and 8 speed auto.
I have a family member as sales manager at one Chrysler Jeep dealer and he said if the V6 diesel Rubicon came here it would be around the same price as a Laramie Ram 1500.
Perhaps Jeep will look at slotting in the Hemi if sales don’t meet expectations.

Last edited by smoo; 08-03-2020 at 11:50 AM.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2020, 12:20 PM   #63
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The standard Wrangler is rated to 2.1 tonne.
This is rated to tow 2.7 tonne, down from 3450kg US spec.
Tray is very similar to all the Thai specials. Actually bigger than D max, Ranger, Triton and Colorado, I just googled.

Niche vehicle for sure. You won’t get a more capable factory 4wd than the Rubicon. I’d love another Wrangler Rubicon, but the increased eye watering price for the JL, the low tow rating and interior space let it down for me. I have a 50kg GSD that won’t fit in one and occasionally tow up to 3t.
So this did appeal to me, until I found out the price, and the fact they aren’t bringing in the V6 diesel. Although I think the petrol V6 should be ok with the 4.11s and 8 speed auto.
I have a family member as sales manager at one Chrysler Jeep dealer and he said if the V6 diesel Rubicon came here it would be around the same price as a Laramie Ram 1500.
Perhaps Jeep will look at slotting in the Hemi if sales don’t meet expectations.
You might want to find the Truck Fast Lane videos on YouTube,
they did a comparison towing 7,000 lbs trailer between three vehicles,
Jeep Gladiator, Silverado 6.2 trail boss and F250 with 7.3 Godzilla.
The 6.2 Silverado used the least fuel of the lot.

So if you're max towing then maybe a full sized pick up is a better choice.
Also, their previous tests with diesel and that weight improves FE by loads,
Us 12 mpg vs 7 to 8 mpg for petrol.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #64
MercuryT
Banned

If I was forced to buy one it would be the Raptor.

But it's like "these are the two worst restaraunts in the city, which do you prefer?"
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2020, 12:10 AM   #65
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
You might want to find the Truck Fast Lane videos on YouTube,
they did a comparison towing 7,000 lbs trailer between three vehicles,
Jeep Gladiator, Silverado 6.2 trail boss and F250 with 7.3 Godzilla.
The 6.2 Silverado used the least fuel of the lot.

So if you're max towing then maybe a full sized pick up is a better choice.
Also, their previous tests with diesel and that weight improves FE by loads,
Us 12 mpg vs 7 to 8 mpg for petrol.
Yeah ok. I was more thinking of drivability of the petrol once larger tyres have been fitted and extra weight added for front and rear bars etc.
As it is this would not be a first choice for regular heavy towing.
If at 3.5t and V6 diesel, sure, it would tick a lot of boxes and attract more potential buyers.

But that’s what happens when a torqueless V6 petrol has to work.
To be fair, completely different vehicles for different purposes.
Going to the larger pick ups will loose off road ability. The main draw card of this thing. My relative at Chrysler Jeep did mention a reason for the V6 diesel not coming here is the Ram will cannibalise it’s sales as it will be around the same price. If that is true and the conclusion jeep have cone to I’d be surprised, as they’re totally different vehicles, and should attract different buyers.
Then again, there’s probably more posers buying than those who buy for intended purposes.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #66
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Yeah ok. I was more thinking of drivability of the petrol once larger tyres have been fitted and extra weight added for front and rear bars etc.
As it is this would not be a first choice for regular heavy towing.
If at 3.5t and V6 diesel, sure, it would tick a lot of boxes and attract more potential buyers.

But that’s what happens when a torqueless V6 petrol has to work.
To be fair, completely different vehicles for different purposes.
Going to the larger pick ups will loose off road ability. The main draw card of this thing. My relative at Chrysler Jeep did mention a reason for the V6 diesel not coming here is the Ram will cannibalise it’s sales as it will be around the same price. If that is true and the conclusion jeep have cone to I’d be surprised, as they’re totally different vehicles, and should attract different buyers.
Then again, there’s probably more posers buying than those who buy for intended purposes.
I can’t speak to posers but there’s nothing that completely covers all the bases and then some, they’re all bloody expensive and that sharpens our senses to what we’re actually buying, what we get and the trade offs.

It’s like there’s nothing really that fills the gap between mid size and large, the gap is a lot bigger than it should be
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #67
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Jeeps are poorly built POS
Recalls for previous recall done wrong etc etc
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #68
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
I was referring to australia. Not the us. It will be a tiny seller here.

But then again everything jeep is like cancer here. Nobody wants it. Went from selling 30,000 cars a few years ago to less than 6,000 last year. Massive fall.
What they need is a new GC and next year they’ll get that.

And if what they say about improving their aftersales business is true then they should go a way towards building their numbers back up.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
What they need is a new GC and next year they’ll get that.

And if what they say about improving their aftersales business is true then they should go a way towards building their numbers back up.
Going to take a lot more than that. The Jeep name is now tarnished.

And I think the novelty of Jeep has well and truly worn off as well. They were the in thing about 5 years ago. Not any more.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:25 PM   #70
Poetic Justice

Quote:
Going to take a lot more than that. The Jeep name is now tarnished.

And I think the novelty of Jeep has well and truly worn off as well. They were the in thing about 5 years ago. Not any more.
They're still selling vehicles and they have an exceptionally outdated vehicle. I believe the new GC they're bringing in is going to be a popular car (pricing pending I suppose) - it looks great and I think there will be a show of the loyal Jeep people that are out there... and please believe, they are out there!
Old 11-03-2020, 01:20 PM   #71
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
They're still selling vehicles and they have an exceptionally outdated vehicle. I believe the new GC they're bringing in is going to be a popular car (pricing pending I suppose) - it looks great and I think there will be a show of the loyal Jeep people that are out there... and please believe, they are out there!
They are selling a fifth of what they did previously. One new model won't save them. A new GC would be a big help, but it's not even going to come close to getting them back anywhere near where they were 5 years ago. That ship has sailed
Old 11-03-2020, 06:03 PM   #72
Poetic Justice

Quote:
They are selling a fifth of what they did previously. One new model won't save them. A new GC would be a big help, but it's not even going to come close to getting them back anywhere near where they were 5 years ago. That ship has sailed
Depends how long we're talking.. I think they're a chance to get there, but perhaps not as quick as the global head wants to quote.
Old 11-03-2020, 08:45 PM   #73
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10 years ago they sold hardly anything in Australia. They could improve their sales, it just needs them to get there **** together. How can you build cars for this long and still screw it up this regularly.
I like them, but I won't own one out of warranty.

I have had zero issues with my 2016 GC so far.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post