Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default LPi I6 delayed until 2011

It gets a bit lost in this article but the new liquid injection I6 has been delayed until 2011. 5th paragraph.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576F7007FD467

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

for those that are lazy like me ...
Quote:
Ford’s new liquid injection LPG Falcon has has been pushed back from October to early 2011 and, while Holden is yet to commit to a Euro 4-compliant replacement for its LPG Commodore, Ford now says its first ever four-cylinder Falcon (powered by FoMoCo’s new direct-injection turbocharged EcoBoost four) could also be just a year away.
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #3
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm getting worried about the Falcon. For a long time I was convinced Ford would give the go ahead for a GRWD platform, securing the Falcon name plate. We all knew the Falcon Wagon was going to die, but things keep getting pushed back, delayed and Ford have kept so silent. It reminds me of the demise of the Fairlane. I want to be proven wrong. Regardless, I'm very excited for this new LPG engine and hopeful the EcoBoost engine will work well in the Falcon. Only time will tell...
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be a big one next year. New Terry, LI LPG Falcon, Ranger, Focus?, Kuga?
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The longer they delay the release of this, the less money they're going to make. Orbital and Ford have invested a lot of money in this project and I am disappointed that it has taken it so long to get off the ground.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
sxckevo
Ford motor company

yeh the really need to pull there finger out of there bums they are possibly losing customers, there needs to be a major release this year as well as the 5.0 to get the ball rolling for them

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Might be a big one next year. New Terry, LI LPG Falcon, Ranger, Focus?, Kuga?

By the Time Kuga gets here, it will be too late, much like the Terry is already way overdue.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
By the Time Kuga gets here, it will be too late, much like the Terry is already way overdue.
It's never too late and I'll tell you the reason Territory is "late" has more
to do with Ford stretching out project expenses to make it affordable
to them and consumers. Just be grateful we weren't steam rollered into
the new Explorer. I'm actually surprised that Ford let Territory go through
with unitary Explorer knocking on the door step...

Until Kuga production starts in Asia we have SFA chance of getting it here
at a profitable price, ie under Territory RWD price...........
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Might as well as delay the new V8 as well and bring everything out in 2011, smash all the other auto manufacturers out of the ballpark with a massive range of new products. I think we get a face lifted Fiesta in 2011 too.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Might as well as delay the new V8 as well and bring everything out in 2011, smash all the other auto manufacturers out of the ballpark with a massive range of new products. I think we get a face lifted Fiesta in 2011 too.
The V8 cannot be delayed, the Boss production stops in July due to emissions regs.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 01:13 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
The V8 cannot be delayed, the Boss production stops in July due to emissions regs.
Should bring in heaps of them, enough to cover all the XR8 production until 2011, then switch.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #12
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Should bring in heaps of them, enough to cover all the XR8 production until 2011, then switch.
Yeah would only need 50 or so engines, should be easy enough :
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #13
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They'll have too much next year they won't know where to focus their attention. They need to promote the new Focus, the facelifted Mondeo, FG II, new Territory and maybe more. Fords marketing team will have a tough time Turing to get customers familiar with all these new products without confusing them.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Hmm. Some interesting points.

(1) If the current V8 can't be sold from July1st, then neither can the current LPG engine right? But the LPG Wagon will be onsale until September? Have I heard all this right?

(2) Holden are not going to have an LPG solution after July 1st, and haven't even committed to one? Is that right too? So Holden must be pinning all their hopes on E85 then I take it?

Lukeyson
Old 03-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #15
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

(1) If the current V8 can't be sold from July1st, then neither can the current LPG engine right? But the LPG Wagon will be onsale until September? Have I heard all this right?
I believe they can still sell the V8 through the rest of 2010, they just cannot produce it after the July deadline. The same would go for the wagon, they will just hoard enough stock to make it through the rest of the year but production will stop in July.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

(2) Holden are not going to have an LPG solution after July 1st, and haven't even committed to one? Is that right too? So Holden must be pinning all their hopes on E85 then I take it?

Lukeyson
I wouldn't read too much into it.

1)Ford got dispensation to continue the LPG Falcons until September,
that was mostly to complete fleet orders but I wonder if the government
will give them another extension for E-Gas sedans until the LI LPG is ready
next year. Heck, October to January isn't a big stretch and the build numbers
aren't that much.....

2) Holden's LPG system is not the same as Ford's old mixer thing,
pretty sure the dual fuel already complies with at least Euro IV.
by switching between petrol and electric as needed, Holden might
overcome some of the hurdles Falcon E GAS is now facing for compliance.

It makes me think that Holden looked at dedicated LPG and saw it was too hard,
Ford on the other hand probably felt they could simply solve the problems...

Last edited by jpd80; 03-04-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

2) Holden's LPG system is not the same as Ford's old mixer thing,
pretty sure the dual fuel already complies with at least Euro IV.
by switching between petrol and electric as needed, Holden might
overcome some of the hurdles Falcon E GAS is now facing for compliance.

It makes me think that Holden looked at dedicated LPG and saw it was too hard,
Ford on the other hand probably felt they could simply solve the problems...
Holdens LPG V6 is still the old 3.6 Alloytec, not SIDI, so its not Euro 4.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #18
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The Alloytec in its standard form will comply with Euro 4 easier than any direct-injected engine...
Old 03-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #19
Bossxr8
Peter Car

In terms of particle emissions then yes, but in other forms no. You can't say an engine that uses something like 1.3 L of petrol less per 100 km than a previous engine would be harder to get emissions compliant, it just requires a bit of extra work to make sure particle emissions are ok. Its simple science that for every extra litre of petrol you burn you get a corresponding increase in emissions out the tailpipe. And GM have already done the R&D on SIDI considering its already used both the 3.0 and 3.6 DI engines in the US. Wouldn't have been too hard for Holden to get it to pass Euro 4 as the engine was designed in the US to surpass those levels already, something the old 3.6 doesn't have.

I'd say its a simple case for Holden of not selling enough of them to justify getting it Euro 4 compliant, considering its the only model that uses the old 3.6. Just like the Territory Turbo come July.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Pretty sure that Holden were crowing back in 2008 that the Alloytec already complied to Euro 6,
something to do with corporate engine and US Tier 2 Bin 5 Emission for petrol already being
tougher than Europe's standards...

Here you go from Holden themselves in October 2008:

Quote:
LINK
The upgraded all-alloy V6 engine reduces noxious tailpipe emissions* assisting petrol Commodore Omega and Berlina variants achieve the highest Green Vehicle Guide noxious emissions score possible (8.5 points out of 10), excluding electric vehicles.

The noxious emission levels meet Euro VI certification, a standard which does not come into effect in Europe until 2014.

Last edited by jpd80; 03-04-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:03 PM   #21
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, it really should all already be here.

Now is when it matters more.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM   #22
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better late than never, look at the Audi Q5 and Q7. While the Q7 isn't partially good looking, both models are selling very well. Just like the BMW X1, selling like hot cakes in Europe. As long as Ford get it here soon, and make a huge fuss about it, I'll be happy
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #23
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't seem very smart, LiLPG should have been introduced with FG back in 08 :
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:45 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Doesn't seem very smart, LiLPG should have been introduced with FG back in 08 :
We we're very lucky to get FG at all, remember how approval was delayed for such a long time in 2006?
Justification of Finance and then a long pause for trimming costs and government grant.

You guys don't know how close Ford Australia is sailing to the wind.
Not making the 2015 Falcon decision public until 2012 is very worrying indeed....
Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #25
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Christ what is with Ford, it seriously is not that hard for a full sized auto manufacturer to shove decent LPG in their top selling car.

Aftermarket has been able to do it for the best part of two years and fomoco Australia cant do with their hundreds of engineers and full test facilities :

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #26
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Christ what is with Ford, it seriously is not that hard for a full sized auto manufacturer to shove decent LPG in their top selling car.

Aftermarket has been able to do it for the best part of two years and fomoco Australia cant do with their hundreds of engineers and full test facilities :
It is because those aftermarket fitters mostly don't have to comply with Euro IV
and the approval system is much easier than OEMs like Ford or Holden face on new vehicles.
You have to prove emission reliability for at least 100,000 kms (Euro IV) and 160,000 klms for Euro V and VI.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:38 PM   #27
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It is because those aftermarket fitters mostly don't have to comply with Euro IV
Aftermarket LPG systems have had to comply with the same emissions regulations as the OEMs since 2004.

Quote:
and the approval system is much easier than OEMs like Ford or Holden face on new vehicles.
Regarding emissions testing, not the case. It is trivial for an injected LPG system to pass (and maintain) Euro 4/5 when fitted to a properly maintained engine.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #28
nommic
EL Monty Ghia

Quote:
Aftermarket doesn't have the same standards of durability and regulations to work towards. They also don't have to worry about mass-manufacture and production feasibility.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #29
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
JTG has been available since 2008 and Orbital LPI since mid-2009. If I and other FF members are successfully running the Orbital system, Ford should be in the same boat. Orbital have more than enough facilities at their headquarters to perform emissions and durability testing.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
JTG has been available since 2008 and Orbital LPI since mid-2009. If I and other FF members are successfully running the Orbital system, Ford should be in the same boat. Orbital have more than enough facilities at their headquarters to perform emissions and durability testing.
So, any idea as to why there's a hold up?