Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #181
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

good luck with your interviews.....stay positive, remember you are the best man for the job!

my hot water is gas and I'm dithering about going solar water as well....still sitting on the fence!

the rebate really doesn't bother me either way, savings gained from my solar array will easily pay for the solar water

but I'm saving for a new caravan as well and if I spend a fair chunk of my money on the water heater I wont have as much in my pocket for the caravan!.......cant have that now!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #182
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
The business vision where I work (or about to no longer work) was to install 30,000 solar hot water systems. If 30,000 solar hot water systems were installed, a coal fired power plant could be decommissioned. It was a big goal for a team of two people but we sure as hell tried!

I think in the 8 years we have been in North Melbourne, there has been some 1900 solar hot water systems installed in Victoria, about 300 since I started here in February last year.

I had met an engineer for a wind turbine brand called Rezeko, and had a close up look at a half built 30kW wind turbine (I know I'm making everyone jealous getting to look at so much of this up close!), and I really do admire wind turbines as well. He went on to explain though, that watt for watt, PV is still cheaper than wind power by a fair

I guess it really depends on where you live though, because in a very windy area and install a 10kW turbine, you could make 50kWh in a day; where as in Kalgoorlie and install the same turbine, you would not get very much out of it.

I don't mean to scare everyone here, but going renewable (as opposed to just going solar), is incredibly crucial at this moment in time.

That is the average smog filled day in China, the problem is that we can't see it here in Australia because we're so far away.

Those numbers just don't add up. A power station the size of Yallourn power station makes enough electricity to power 2 million homes. That is all the households electricity use.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #183
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
Those numbers just don't add up. A power station the size of Yallourn power station makes enough electricity to power 2 million homes. That is all the households electricity use.
a Small power station

Also, think:

30,000 solar hot water systems installed each offsetting 30 tonnes of carbon emissions over fifteen years

That equates to removing 13,500,000 tonnes of carbon emissions over fifteen years, that's a lot of offset!
Old 23-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #184
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
a Small power station

Also, think:

30,000 solar hot water systems installed each offsetting 30 tonnes of carbon emissions over fifteen years

That equates to removing 13,500,000 tonnes of carbon emissions over fifteen years, that's a lot of offset!

Where exactly are these small power stations you talk about?
Old 23-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #185
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
a Small power station

Also, think:

I could be wrong here but from my calculations the heating of water would produce about 7 tonnes of emissions per year per house, therefore 30,000 x 7 x 15 years = 3,150,000 of emissions over fifteen years. Which would be enough to switch off a tiny coal fired power station of the size which we do not have here in Australia.
Old 23-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #186
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
I could be wrong here but from my calculations the heating of water would produce about 7 tonnes of emissions per year per house, therefore 30,000 x 7 x 15 years = 3,150,000 of emissions over fifteen years. Which would be enough to switch off a tiny coal fired power station of the size which we do not have here in Australia.

200,000+ migrant intake into Australia blows all those theories.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 01:31 PM   #187
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I am considering putting a solar power system on my new house. I am just wondering do any know the life expectations of the panels and ongoing maintenance costs, if any , to the system?
Old 23-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #188
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I am considering putting a solar power system on my new house. I am just wondering do any know the life expectations of the panels and ongoing maintenance costs, if any , to the system?

life expectancy of the panels vary from manufacturer to manufacturer but the usual life expectancy is a multi stage event as the panel ages the output diminishes

the warranty usually runs in two stages .....10 years @ 90% and 25 years @ 80% is roughly "normal"

if the sales person states a simple 25 year warranty then question the percentage drop.....if they cant answer in a knowledgable way then seek another installer

as far as I'm aware there are no ongoing maintenance costs unless you have them cleaned professionally

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 23-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #189
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
200,000+ migrant intake into Australia blows all those theories.

I am well aware of that, I am disputing staggs numbers. Re read please.
Old 23-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #190
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

c'mon fellers.....give it a rest!......point made!

Old 23-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #191
Reaper8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are these systems portable? im in a rental property and am just wondering if the system can be moved to another house if i move. dont want to spend 7 grand on someone else's property if im not goin to get my moneys worth.
Reaper8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #192
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8
are these systems portable? im in a rental property and am just wondering if the system can be moved to another house if i move. dont want to spend 7 grand on someone else's property if im not goin to get my moneys worth.
no, not that I'm aware of......

Old 23-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #193
DJR02
Blown DJR

I would to start off by saying I looked long and hard at a solar power system.

I was looking for a 5kw system and found prices ranging from $18,000.00 right down to $6000.00, during my research I found that there is definately a big variation in the quality of panels and inverters, and it really comes down to you do get what you pay for.

I ended up going with a local company, Positronic Solar.

The system I choose is a 7kw system and had 28 x 250 watt ET panels with a 5kw Xantrex inverter for $ 14,800.00

I have to say the company was fantastic to deal with and very helpfull, after agreeing to terms and having the system approved by energex, it took about another 3 weeks to get it installed.

On the day it was booked in, 2 men arrived and completed the installation in 1 day and by around 4pm that afternoon I was generating power

Since it was installed I have averaged 39kwh/day generation.

Needless to say I am very happy.

Cheers Jeff
Old 23-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #194
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice result jeff!.....gotta be happy with that!

wish mine was so smooth.........thats a pretty good average as well are you in the tropics or around the centre?

Old 24-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #195
DJR02
Blown DJR

Im in Brisbane, pity it has been raing the last 2 days, that puts a quick halt to power generation.
Old 25-02-2012, 12:12 AM   #196
wicko

I've looked into going solar power into the grid and have decided against it. The headlines look interesting and the quick maths indicate it should pay for itself in 5 yrs + or -.

My decision to go against it is based on the credit I receive is more then twice what it costs me to buy from the power supply co - yes there is government subsidy to assist in getting more panels on roofs to reduce the pressure on current supply, but my conspiracy theory is once they get the desired numbers the credits I'm receiving get cut back to less then what it costs for me to buy (reduction of 50% or more). At that point I'm then paying for my power (assuming I put enough panels on the roof to nulify my powert bill). Aside from that technology is improving and a thing called 3D solar is the next phase where it can produce more energy for less panel due to better designs (claims it can generate power when its raining) - its not on the market yet, but its being developed and like anything it will be expensive to start with then reduce as its goes on.

Aside from that my eldest kid moved out of home and whammo - the quarterly bill is down by $100. Just got to wait another 2-3 years and we'll see the next offspring move out,.
wicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #197
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR02
....The system I choose is a 7kw system and had 28 x 250 watt ET panels with a 5kw Xantrex inverter for $ 14,800.00

Since it was installed I have averaged 39kwh/day generation.

Needless to say I am very happy.

Cheers Jeff

7kw of panels and a 5kw inverter?

Hmmmm...doesn't sound right mate.
Old 25-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #198
z80
Banned

Quote:
Im in Brisbane, pity it has been raining the last 2 days, that puts a quick halt to power generation.

It shouldn't mean zero mate....should still make some power.
Old 25-02-2012, 12:58 AM   #199
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper8

No they are not portable....you need a permit to install them.

But that doesn't mean they cant be unbolted with a 6mm allen key, 10mm socket, 8mm ring spanner and a philips #2 screwdriver......

Oh...be a good lad and turn all circuit breakers off, and throw a blanket to cover the panels before you play with these systems.
Old 25-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #200
DJR MAN
DJR Fan

Smile Re: who amongst us have gone solar

I'm new to understanding solar and its benefits. Have seen large differences in advertised prices and system outputs.
Tru-Value are advertising a 4.2kw expandable system for $1896, 1.5kw worth of panels only.
Is there more to this price, and could I buy 2 of these specials and use the second set of panels to upgrade the system and put the second inverter in storage?

http://www.truevaluesolar.com.au/?gc...FQMgpAodOH50pw

Any input would be appreciated
DJR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #201
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

You only get the gov subsidy once, so the soecond unit and extra panels cost more than the first.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #202
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get the rebate for the mumber of roof's you own, I was concidering installing one on a propery in Carnegie, and 'negotiating' the lot to be installed on the house i 'live' in.
The risk is, I would get two **** systems instead of one!
the TVS setup still hasn't grabbed me as I know there are getter panels out there and inverters, but for Essendon to back them, I guess they are ok?
Old 25-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #203
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR MAN
I'm new to understanding solar and its benefits. Have seen large differences in advertised prices and system outputs.
Tru-Value are advertising a 4.2kw expandable system for $1896, 1.5kw worth of panels only.
Is there more to this price, and could I buy 2 of these specials and use the second set of panels to upgrade the system and put the second inverter in storage?

http://www.truevaluesolar.com.au/?gc...FQMgpAodOH50pw

Any input would be appreciated

I looked into these systems and decided against it,.....a lot of "specials" out there at the moment and always more in the pipeline go local, go quality!

any system can be expanded provided you allow for it with inverter size initially......

do your home work.....5 minutes on the computer will save thousands and up the quality.....cheaper now than when I bought and my savings from a little bit of time on the interweb were roughly $3,000

Old 25-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #204
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im in Brisbane, pity it has been raing the last 2 days, that puts a quick halt to power generation.

production will be down but there will still be some generating,....rain is good, saves me getting up on the shed roof to wash the panels

although they still need a wash every now and then to get the grime off that rain doesnt get off

Old 25-02-2012, 10:49 AM   #205
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
I looked into these systems and decided against it,.....a lot of "specials" out there at the moment and always more in the pipeline go local, go quality!

any system can be expanded provided you allow for it with inverter size initially......

do your home work.....5 minutes on the computer will save thousands and up the quality.....cheaper now than when I bought and my savings from a little bit of time on the interweb were roughly $3,000

Hmmm...not quite true...

One little known trick is to simply put two or more inverters on the one circuit.

Nothing wrong with doing it, it can offer more system resilience to have two 3kw inverters instead of one 5 kw.

They don't have to be the same make and model either.

And often the prices amount to the same.

I have three inverters in my setup, all going to the same phase...they just work.
Old 25-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #206
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Hmmm...not quite true...

One little known trick is to simply put two or more inverters on the one circuit.

Nothing wrong with doing it, it can offer more system resilience to have two 3kw inverters instead of one 5 kw.

They don't have to be the same make and model either.

And often the prices amount to the same.

I have three inverters in my setup, all going to the same phase...they just work.
usually if one was to purchase a 3 kilowatt system with a view to upgrading to a 5 kilowatt system later on it is fiscally prudent to have a 5 kilowatt inverter installed first as an upgrade rather than purchase a totally new one down the track

yep! I've heard of folks doing that but then that involves purchasing another inverter when upgrade time comes, if it is factored in before installation then the upgraded/upsized inverter will be cheaper

brother in law has 3 inverters on his.....it was placed when instalation was undertaken, necessitated because of size I assume

I've yet to have a good look at his but it is a large array that takes up all his shed roof which is a massive size

Last edited by poppa smurf; 25-02-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 25-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #207
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicko
I've looked into going solar power into the grid and have decided against it. The headlines look interesting and the quick maths indicate it should pay for itself in 5 yrs + or -.

My decision to go against it is based on the credit I receive is more then twice what it costs me to buy from the power supply co - yes there is government subsidy to assist in getting more panels on roofs to reduce the pressure on current supply, but my conspiracy theory is once they get the desired numbers the credits I'm receiving get cut back to less then what it costs for me to buy (reduction of 50% or more). At that point I'm then paying for my power (assuming I put enough panels on the roof to nulify my powert bill). Aside from that technology is improving and a thing called 3D solar is the next phase where it can produce more energy for less panel due to better designs (claims it can generate power when its raining) - its not on the market yet, but its being developed and like anything it will be expensive to start with then reduce as its goes on.

Aside from that my eldest kid moved out of home and whammo - the quarterly bill is down by $100. Just got to wait another 2-3 years and we'll see the next offspring move out,.
If your quarterly bill is only $100.00 why would you even consider solar power ?
Old 25-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #208
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no idea how you could keep your quarterly bill down to $100......my supply charge alone was $90 without any power placed on!

please tell me your secret!

when my quarterly bill hit $450 was when I said enough is enough!

Old 25-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #209
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
no idea how you could keep your quarterly bill down to $100......my supply charge alone was $90 without any power placed on!

please tell me your secret!

when my quarterly bill hit $450 was when I said enough is enough!
Read it again.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #210
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Read it again.
ah! CUT by $100......that makes sense, my blue!.......wish I could cut mine by $100!

only the 2nd son and wife at home now, cant kick the son out which leaves the wife...HMMmmm!