Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #151
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
My employer has released this offer. Any thoughts???

In an effort to give employees the opportunity to reduce living expenses,
****** has reached an agreement with solar panel supplier SolarFarmers to provide a discount solar power system. The opportunity is also being made available to all permanent *** employees.
The deal comprises of three package options on purchases made through this offer based on a minimum 50 employees participating in the scheme:

1.5kW starter pack for $1,395

3kW value pack for $3,436

5kW ultimate power pack for $7,995
These prices include full installation.
In addition to the discounted prices above, *** will also be offering a subsidy to employees who take up this offer *** prior to 29th February 2012.
The subsidy provided by *** will be dependent upon both the number of employees who take up the offer and the size of the system that is purchased. Details will be communicated to those employees who participate once confirmed. The subsidy will be provided over a three year period.
If you are interested, we encourage you to look at the product FAQ's on the following pages.
*** makes no performance guarantees about the product or the vendor. Any issues relating to installation or quality of the unit will be a matter between SolarFarmers and the employee.
If you want to participate in this offer you MUST complete the registration forms and return to HR before Wednesday 29th February 2012. Forms and additional information are available from HR.
That is an awesome offer. My 5kw system after rebates was about 15k. Jump at that 5kw system quickly, then buy your boss a beer......
Old 21-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #152
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry rang them inverter is aurora they will only come out & quote might still get a price its free.were they hard sell ?
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #153
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
sorry rang them inverter is aurora they will only come out & quote might still get a price its free.were they hard sell ?

no mate, no hard sell, just the opposite in fact, we sat and had a cuppa, a top yarn then we went and did the measurements and the site orientation

to be honest if the price was anywhere near energy matters I would have dealt with them in an instant

very pleasant experience but I'm afraid they were around $1500 dearer than EM SOLAR.....money was bit tight at that point so all savings were relevent

mind you if I went through it all again knowing the dramas I had with energy matters I would choose them!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #154
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks for that.they offer finance and pensioner incentives and as they say you do get what you pay for so i better get a quote when they are in the area next.again thanks for the help this is a good thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #155
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs
That is an awesome offer. My 5kw system after rebates was about 15k. Jump at that 5kw system quickly, then buy your boss a beer......

I'm in for the 5kw.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #156
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
thanks for that.they offer finance and pensioner incentives and as they say you do get what you pay for so i better get a quote when they are in the area next.again thanks for the help this is a good thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no worries mate.....glad to be of service....let us know how you get on!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 21-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #157
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For Victorian people here is some information about solar buy back.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/energy/sus...feed-in-tariff
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #158
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
My employer has released this offer. Any thoughts???

In an effort to give employees the opportunity to reduce living expenses,
****** has reached an agreement with solar panel supplier SolarFarmers to provide a discount solar power system. The opportunity is also being made available to all permanent *** employees.
The deal comprises of three package options on purchases made through this offer based on a minimum 50 employees participating in the scheme:

1.5kW starter pack for $1,395

3kW value pack for $3,436

5kW ultimate power pack for $7,995
These prices include full installation.
I dont want to rain on anyones parade here but there are some questions that should be asked of each of these before you jump in on these deals.
1. What brand of inverter is used< German have the best rep.
2. Are the quoted figures for the inverter or the panels; ie is the 1.5kw the inverter size or the panel output size.
3. How many panels for each system and what is their kw rating. Different ratings mean more or less panels.
4. Is the system expandable.
Happy solaring, and saving too,
Old 22-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #159
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it must be remembered and considered that although feed in tariffs are ended in a lot of states, or downgraded, the prices of solar systems have also fallen to the point where the repayments of the system on an "interest free" system may equate or be less than the actual electricity bill

the big difference is that the solar array will be paid for in a relatively short period of time, usually within 5 years, whereas power bills are a constant with excessive incremental increases

if I had the option to place solar again WITHOUT my feed in tariffs I would do so in a heart beat.......

I'm sick and tired of money grabbing shiny butted mongrels constantly in my backpocket

now I've just got to work out how to clean the buggers........Hah! anyone want a job????

Old 22-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #160
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

i just wish WA would be fair in its solar buy back stuff
eg if you produce excess, they only give you 7c for it but sell it back to you at 19c ..how is that fair ...should be at least 1 to 1
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #161
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa
i just wish WA would be fair in its solar buy back stuff
eg if you produce excess, they only give you 7c for it but sell it back to you at 19c ..how is that fair ...should be at least 1 to 1
mate I fully agree.....I dont go along with exorbitant price payments for feed in tariffs (but will gladly accept them) I would more than be happy with price parity, providing it is equal

apparently the feed in tariff will end in a few years 2025 I THINK!!) so we will wait and see what happens then....hopefully a little sanity will creep in amongst the upper echelons

I also disagree with zero feed in tariff which is spruked around in some quarters

it was said on talkback radio a few day ago that wind energy is one of the dearest ways of producing power....how can this be....the wind blows and the turbines turn, where is the production cost??

Old 22-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #162
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
mate I fully agree.....I dont go along with exorbitant price payments for feed in tariffs (but will gladly accept them) I would more than be happy with price parity, providing it is equal

apparently the feed in tariff will end in a few years 2025 I THINK!!) so we will wait and see what happens then....hopefully a little sanity will creep in amongst the upper echelons

I also disagree with zero feed in tariff which is spruked around in some quarters

it was said on talkback radio a few day ago that wind energy is one of the dearest ways of producing power....how can this be....the wind blows and the turbines turn, where is the production cost??

But what makes the turbines turn????? Base load electricity.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #163
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An update on my position, I got told yesterday that I'm now redundant, I have my last day of work in North Melbourne on Tuesday.

The business can no longer sustain itself because of poor interest in the product, and sure enough it shows because I'm writing this while I'm at work. Bit disappointing that my boss had owned this business for 12 years and didn't get much out of it.

Will be trying to stay in sustainability, although there are very few jobs out there. I've spoken to Silex Solar who is an Australian manufacturer (That's right, panels made in Australia), for a rep job because they're expanding from NSW into Victoria and SA, and the rep job is for VIC and SA. Hopefully it all goes well and I can help people out with Silex
Old 22-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #164
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
But what makes the turbines turn????? Base load electricity.
no..nothing to do with electricity......the turbines run purely and simply on wind..nothing more..no wind, no power.

I've watched them at close quarters

Old 22-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #165
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991
An update on my position, I got told yesterday that I'm now redundant, I have my last day of work in North Melbourne on Tuesday.

The business can no longer sustain itself because of poor interest in the product, and sure enough it shows because I'm writing this while I'm at work. Bit disappointing that my boss had owned this business for 12 years and didn't get much out of it.

Will be trying to stay in sustainability, although there are very few jobs out there. I've spoken to Silex Solar who is an Australian manufacturer (That's right, panels made in Australia), for a rep job because they're expanding from NSW into Victoria and SA, and the rep job is for VIC and SA. Hopefully it all goes well and I can help people out with Silex

mate that's terrible, I really hope you can gain another position

Old 22-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #166
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg1991

sorry to hear mate, not good at all and hope you find something soon
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #167
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no..nothing to do with electricity......the turbines run purely and simply on wind..nothing more..no wind, no power.

Sorry Poppa. It takes base load electricity to start them up, I'd go even further and say they make no electricity from wind alone, that's only my opinion though.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #168
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Just got our bill from Integral Energy. We had the extra 2kw of panels fitted about 1 1/2 months ago to bring the system up from 3 to 5kw. 12 months ago our bill was $770 a quarter. This bill we are in credit $108.71. What happens with the credit ? Do we get a cheque ?
Old 22-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #169
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just got our bill from Integral Energy. We had the extra 2kw of panels fitted about 1 1/2 months ago to bring the system up from 3 to 5kw. 12 months ago our bill was $770 a quarter. This bill we are in credit $108.71. What happens with the credit ? Do we get a cheque ?
good question.....I know of a feller who is owed $6,000 and climbing......I guess we end up owning the company then it goes into liquidation and starts up as something else HAH!

nah! I wouldn't have a clue!

well done on killing the bill though!...gotta be happy with that!

Old 22-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #170
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83
Sorry Poppa. It takes base load electricity to start them up, I'd go even further and say they make no electricity from wind alone, that's only my opinion though.
dont know.....don't care....council wouldn't let me erect one in my backyard though, that much I do know!.....shame!

Old 22-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #171
z80
Banned

Quote:

It will affect your pension if relevant and you will pay tax on it otherwise.

Leave the account in credit, or smelt some aluminium in the backyard...
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #172
z80
Banned

Quote:

LOL...they run an overdrive gear system, they need to keep turning...else you break shafts trying to start it up.

But they reckon other turbines on the grid generate that....even if they are 200k's away.
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2012, 09:08 PM   #173
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

funny things these wind turbines...did a bit of checking at this place http://www.aweo.org/windconsumption.html and had some interesting reading

anybody interested, have a nose......more to them than meets the eye!

Old 22-02-2012, 10:56 PM   #174
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
funny things these wind turbines...did a bit of checking at this place http://www.aweo.org/windconsumption.html and had some interesting reading

anybody interested, have a nose......more to them than meets the eye!
you mean apart from them being an ugly blight on the landscape that kills wildlife,ruins peoples quality of life whilst producing cheap green power that we in sa export to the eastern bloc..oops i mean states so that we can then import thier expensive dirty power?
Old 23-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #175
dags41v
Black 2006 XR8

I can only comment on SA but as soon as your bill is in credit just give the retailer a call and they shoot you a cheque. I am happy ringing them once every 3 months to get my cheque for $300-400.
Old 23-02-2012, 11:06 AM   #176
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

you mean apart from them being an ugly blight on the landscape that kills wildlife,ruins peoples quality of life whilst producing cheap green power that we in sa export to the eastern bloc..oops i mean states so that we can then import thier expensive dirty power?

well everybody to their opinion, but I would rather see that than the power station at port augusta that is killing the fish and birds and sending pollution out that bad that some days the beautiful flinders cant be seen

personally, I like them,.....I have stood underneath these things many times, watched as a gentle breeze came up the gully and the turbine swing to take full advantage and slowly the blades begin to rotate and generate power

I know very little about them but that's gotta be better than a coal fired monstrosity belching out fume!

Old 23-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #177
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dags41v
I can only comment on SA but as soon as your bill is in credit just give the retailer a call and they shoot you a cheque. I am happy ringing them once every 3 months to get my cheque for $300-400.

ah! so you can get a cash cheque, I wasn't sure if it was a "contract" thing where if you accept credit at the start you were stuck with it for ever

just one thing to remember if you are on the dole (not you personally dags) or are a pensioner, centrelink deems this as "income" and as such must be reported and deducted from your benefit

the only ones who are exempt from this are aged pensioners, they can earn as much from the array as they like

Old 23-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #178
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The business vision where I work (or about to no longer work) was to install 30,000 solar hot water systems. If 30,000 solar hot water systems were installed, a coal fired power plant could be decommissioned. It was a big goal for a team of two people but we sure as hell tried!

I think in the 8 years we have been in North Melbourne, there has been some 1900 solar hot water systems installed in Victoria, about 300 since I started here in February last year.

I had met an engineer for a wind turbine brand called Rezeko, and had a close up look at a half built 30kW wind turbine (I know I'm making everyone jealous getting to look at so much of this up close!), and I really do admire wind turbines as well. He went on to explain though, that watt for watt, PV is still cheaper than wind power by a fair margin.

I guess it really depends on where you live though, because in a very windy area and install a 10kW turbine, you could make 50kWh in a day; where as in Kalgoorlie and install the same turbine, you would not get very much out of it.

I don't mean to scare everyone here, but going renewable (as opposed to just going solar), is incredibly crucial at this moment in time.

That is the average smog filled day in China, the problem is that we can't see it here in Australia because we're so far away.
Old 23-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #179
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep!......i didn't catch all of the talkback radio fellers comments about the wind turbines as I was on deliveries but what he was saying didn't sound too good for turbines

when i get time i will go onto the interweb and see if I can get a podcast of the mornings show

I'm not jealous.......I'm bloody livid, I'd love to see inside these things, I've stood under and admired them, mind you that is still some 60 feet plus away from the blades

I think the time is fast approaching that we will all be forced to look into "alternative" energy, no new power plants getting built and energy usage is maxing out!

chin up on the job front mate.....a feller of your talents will soon be snapped up!

Old 23-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #180
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yep!......i didn't catch all of the talkback radio fellers comments about the wind turbines as I was on deliveries but what he was saying didn't sound too good for turbines

when i get time i will go onto the interweb and see if I can get a podcast of the mornings show

I'm not jealous.......I'm bloody livid, I'd love to see inside these things, I've stood under and admired them, mind you that is still some 60 feet plus away from the blades

I think the time is fast approaching that we will all be forced to look into "alternative" energy, no new power plants getting built and energy usage is maxing out!

chin up on the job front mate.....a feller of your talents will soon be snapped up!
Hahaha thanks mate, I actually have an interview at 4pm for Silex Solar, and a call from dare I say, SolarGain

Interesting updates on solar hot water rebates as well last week,

- The federal rebate of $1000 offered to people replacing electric water heaters will be ending 31st July 2012, meaning that the cost of solar when replacing an electric hot water will jump by $1000, and it could be literally, that someone will wait until the last minute and make the decision a day late, it happens!

- The Plumbing Industry Commission (PIC) has implemented the phase out of electric water heaters from January 1st 2015, which means that the following events will happen to someone who will be kicking themselves:

- They will wait another year to go solar to see if the price comes down.
- The $1000 rebate ends, and then they will wait until the price comes back down to what it was at the start of the year (after rebates)
- The price won't come down, that's for sure
- The electric hot water lasts another three years until 2015, and then breaks.

That person is now in a position where they will either a) be forced to buy solar hot water at a price more expensive than it was three years ago, or b) install gas, which would cost about the same as going solar because you have to run gas to the hot water.

Either way, with the current state of play with hot water legislation, any one with an electric hot water who is sitting on the fence waiting to go solar is going to be kicking themselves; I know because it happened in 2010 when the rebate dropped from $1600 to $1000, a lot of people kicking themselves!