Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #3061
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

So we finally had our Solar system installed last week; a 3KW system with 12/265W Canadian Solar panels + Fronius Primo inverter.
Just in time to take advantage of some very sunny (and hot) weather in Perth over the next few weeks.
Output so far is great; over 21kwh/day since installation.

I didn't realise at the time of installation, but the inverter sits in full direct sun from about 2PM onwards. How bad is this?
The unit does get very hot to touch.
Does this affect warranty and power output?
I'm thinking of building a little canopy over the unit to block the direct sun... Is it worthwhile?
Cheers.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 02:47 PM   #3062
zeuss000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just hose it down a couple of times a day?
Sorry..
Been out in the sun too long myself..
zeuss000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #3063
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine recieves full afternoon sun 120 metres from the ocean 3 1/2 years now. so far all good .i did ask when it was installed and they said that they are designed for it plus my warrantee is for 15 years on the inverter and by then i hope to be off grid with new inverters anyway
Old 08-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #3064
Mooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
So we finally had our Solar system installed last week; a 3KW system with 12/265W Canadian Solar panels + Fronius Primo inverter.
Just in time to take advantage of some very sunny (and hot) weather in Perth over the next few weeks.
Output so far is great; over 21kwh/day since installation.

I didn't realise at the time of installation, but the inverter sits in full direct sun from about 2PM onwards. How bad is this?
The unit does get very hot to touch.
Does this affect warranty and power output?
I'm thinking of building a little canopy over the unit to block the direct sun... Is it worthwhile?
Cheers.
Mate ideally move it into garage out of direct heat. Not ideal or professional to install on western wall.
Mooka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #3065
Mooka

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun View Post
Anyone in QLD have one of these powerwall thingy's. Can you add one without it affecting refunds etc? How will it affect usage and KW hour used?
Most people are unaware you may need more panels to ensure your batteries are charged prior to sun down.

Batteries are only cost efficient if you have small feed in tariffs or your wanting to have an emergency power supply due to frequent black outs.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:38 AM   #3066
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Or have solar to go pretty much off grid ?
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #3067
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Have been living offgrid solar/wind for around 25 years but most of my stuff is smaller RAPS ie motorhome, yacht, cabin.

I've been using shade tolerate (amorphous) unisolar panels by Canon most of that time with back up windpower by an air403 generator afloat and 913 Rutlands ashore.
Good reliable gear.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #3068
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Looking at going off grid at our bush block. Wondering how much for a 3 or 5kw system would cost these days. I know you need panels, invertor, regulator and batteries (how many). Got Quoted $140k to put power on ............
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2016, 05:51 PM   #3069
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Looking at going off grid at our bush block. Wondering how much for a 3 or 5kw system would cost these days. I know you need panels, invertor, regulator and batteries (how many). Got Quoted $140k to put power on ............
With a quote like that I'm sure solar is going to look very attractive.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2016, 11:12 PM   #3070
Mooka

Buggerlugs, go round check all appliances for wattage and write down, then think of what combos will be used at the same time.
Options for batteries are lead acid with 50% Depth of Discharge tend to last a couple of years and fade out or go with Litium Ion with 80% DOD no maintenance and should last 15 years approx.
Do you want auto electric start generator incorporated to provide back up to battery charge in bad weather ?

Pricing is all dependent on multiple options and needs.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #3071
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooka View Post
Options for batteries are lead acid with 50% Depth of Discharge tend to last a couple of years and fade out or go with Litium Ion with 80% DOD no maintenance and should last 15 years approx.
I use banks of Century 200amp/h "Truck and Farm" lead acids though heavy, I've had 10 years out of one bank of batteries, and 9 out of the second bank in another system.
They are not referred as "deep cycle" but have the exact same wide 11 plate construction.

If you look after them they'll serve you well.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #3072
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I use banks of Century 200amp/h "Truck and Farm" lead acids though heavy, I've had 10 years out of one bank of batteries, and 9 out of the second bank in another system.
They are not referred as "deep cycle" but have the exact same wide 11 plate construction.

If you look after them they'll serve you well.
How many do you use for your system ? What size ? Where do you reside ( roughly) Do you have/need back up generator ?
Old 17-02-2016, 04:15 PM   #3073
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am about to go Solar again("2nd" system.) 4.16kw,16x260w "Rene"Solar high efficiency modules.1x4kw "Solar Max 4000p inverter @ cost of $5890.Should be generating roughly a bit over 20kw per day.(Our average daily use is around the 9kw mark.) Cost has come down a reasonable amount since we last installed in 2011.That system was roughly the same price but a lot lower spec (2.30kw Solar system, 10xSP 230 Panels &JFY 3000 Inverter.(Chinese inverter.)Solar max is a Swiss Manufacturer,but now owned by a German company,apparently very good inverter's.Cheer's
Old 18-02-2016, 02:20 AM   #3074
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Just recently installed a 6.2ish kW system (bad memory)plus a new power box(extra 1k) for just under 7k all up. Did a fair bit of research on the panel types,warranties and the converter type and quality and it's all very good gear. (I can expand if anyone wants more details. I'll be checking my daily kW usage and so on tomoro and update)
The guys were great too. Repaired a few leaks in the roof, adjusted the toilet vent pipe,moved the custom in roof antenna pole, rescrewed down part of the roof and installed an extra external double waterproof PowerPoint for my water tank pump.....for FREE, no extra charge!Didnt even haggle, he just said nah it's all good mate. Thought I was screwed when my Ridgeback jumped up an "warning" bit the young fella on the forearm he had there. Oops

We will need to change the inverter if we go batteries later tho, but we have two separate panel banks on different sides so that may make it easier utilising half and half at first!
half on the grid,half off the grid
Oh...in the Brisbane area too!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2016, 05:01 PM   #3075
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Update^^^^^^

$5.8k
6.5kw system.
25x260w Trina Honey panels (10yr warrant You+80%efficiency after 25yrs performance warranty)
Power one Aurora 5000 inverter (5yr full warranty, 20 year design warranty)
Atm it's getting 22.1kw daily
Atm it's getting 5038w peak
It also says daily energy savings.....11euro or 17$ (Not sure how that's calculated)
We use 14kw daily (but we're home every day)

Just in case anyone's interested....the average usages are...

2people.....13kw winter. 14.2kw summer
4people.....18.4kwwinter. 20.3kw summer
Old 19-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #3076
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Update^^^^^^

$5.8k
6.5kw system.
25x260w Trina Honey panels (10yr warrant You+80%efficiency after 25yrs performance warranty)
Power one Aurora 5000 inverter (5yr full warranty, 20 year design warranty)
Atm it's getting 22.1kw daily
Atm it's getting 5038w peak
It also says daily energy savings.....11euro or 17$ (Not sure how that's calculated)
We use 14kw daily (but we're home every day)

Just in case anyone's interested....the average usages are...

2people.....13kw winter. 14.2kw summer
4people.....18.4kwwinter. 20.3kw summer
What type of roofing material do you have ie tile or colourbond etc. Also single or two storey. Does that price include supply authority fees for a new retail meter. Thanks.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2016, 05:32 PM   #3077
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
What type of roofing material do you have ie tile or colourbond etc. Also single or two storey. Does that price include supply authority fees for a new retail meter. Thanks.
Qld Brisbane

Colour-bond
Single story (but house on stumps...ground lvl one side to 1.5m raised on low side)
5.8 covered everything bar the new power box. 1k for that. Was the same price quoted by my sparky buddy so I just got the same guys to do it while they were here!
Old 26-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #3078
My32Doors

Happened to see an episode of the ABC Catalyst program entirely on solar battery storage. Excellent info/ overview.
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4398364.htm or
http://www.offgridsolarkits.com.au/o...attery-storage
My32Doors is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #3079
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question
Our air conditioning died a few years ago, a 12kw 3 phase system.
Is it possible to run a 3 phase system off batteries/stand alone system.
Or am I best to replace it with a single phase system.
cheers in advance
Old 08-03-2016, 06:31 PM   #3080
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Pappa, your back !!!! Bout bloody time !! Have you been looking into the "off grid" set ups yet ?
Old 08-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #3081
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks mate, some ways I'm glad to be back, other ways, well I'd rather be watching those Kimberley sunsets and snatching the big fish.......never mind, reality beckons.

Battery storage is still a can of worms here, I've looked into quite a few but as yet the price is still too high for a very small system, $6,000 for a 2 KW pack is a bit rich.

there are some systems coming on line in the near future that look to be very interesting but they are still a fair way down the tube.

I had high hopes for the graphite mine around by lincoln to supply a new local industry but they are in strife last I heard.

Govco couldn't give a rats and general consensus is against renewable, state gov have blinders on for wind.

But as soon as I find a decent size system that is reliable and capable I will be on it.

I looked at old forklift batteries as well as standard truck/dozer batteries but in reality they are almost a waste, I know of folks who are doing it but gee! they do it tough.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #3082
1TUFFUTE
Banned

^^^^^whats with the truck batteries?, someone else I think mentioned them earlier as a great/cheaper option!
Old 13-03-2016, 08:10 AM   #3083
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by My32Doors View Post
Happened to see an episode of the ABC Catalyst program entirely on solar battery storage. Excellent info/ overview.
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4398364.htm or
http://www.offgridsolarkits.com.au/o...attery-storage
Found this episode(Catalyst.) very interesting & fascinating.Did not really understand the technology that well,& just having installed a Solar array(2nd time.) this has got me very interested.Thx for this!
Old 13-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #3084
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
^^^^^whats with the truck batteries?, someone else I think mentioned them earlier as a great/cheaper option!
truck/forklift batteries do work, but for my purposes, can be unwieldy, dangerous, unreliable.

the amount of power I need makes the storage (using lead acid) a huge affair.

I have helped a lot of folks place these systems in and they are working well but many still need the grid for welding, air-con, workshop needs.

when I get off the grid I will be fully self sustaining off, solar, self storage as well as maybe a small generator.

I will be doing mine as soon as a decent AGM or similar battery setup is available for a reasonable cost and the size is not dinosaur like.

won't be long before a decent size storage system comes down to a reasonable physical size and price.

every year the storage capacity is increasing, physical size is diminishing......price is the next factor.

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
2 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #3085
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The bloke over the road from me is totally off the grid but I don't particularly like his set up. He has 8 panels, batteries and a bloody big generator. The generator runs almost every day and certainly every night! It was a demo system he bought and it cost him $30000.
I haven't been game to ask how much diesel he goes through a week but he is able to skite that he's 'off the grid!'
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #3086
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

council bylaws here do not permit me to run a generator after a certain time, can't remember what it was, 6 PM jumps to mind but that may not be correct, too many arguments with them over different things, use of grey water, use of rainwater, storage of rainwater, wind turbine, height of caravan carport, position of carport......the list goes on.

I have "setup" quite a few "off grid" shacks/ small houses but really none that I wold be happy with at home, I like my air-con and my 200 amp welder too much......I still mess about with other folks motorhomes and vans.....use of power tools is a must.

battery gases can be a problem, draw down on batteries, weight and physical size of storage, life of batteries, maintenance of lead acid batteries, corrosion of terminals.

I know all of these things can be circumvented but at my age I don't want to be pulling a bank apart to find a faulty cell.

the catalyst program was a very good one but it still relied on being connected to the grid, I want to get right away from the bloodsuckers forever without problems.

however the future tantalises us with glimpses of what is out there.

Old 13-03-2016, 01:55 PM   #3087
buggerlugs
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
The bloke over the road from me is totally off the grid but I don't particularly like his set up. He has 8 panels, batteries and a bloody big generator. The generator runs almost every day and certainly every night! It was a demo system he bought and it cost him $30000.
I haven't been game to ask how much diesel he goes through a week but he is able to skite that he's 'off the grid!'
Sort of expensive way to be off the grid. I bet Diesel out your way is not $1.00 a litre either. Wondering what the most economical diesel generator would be for back up ? 8 Panels doesn't seem much ?
Old 13-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #3088
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Normal lead acid starting automotive battery that a truck has isn't a good battery to use in this type of situation, they're not made for it they're made for a massive hit turning over an engine, then being charged while running.

Deep cycle lead acid or AGM or Gel would be the go to for a solar setup using normal battery technology, but if you want them to last you have to be careful about how far down you let them go before they are charged up, 50% depth of discharge is best for long battery life for a deep cycle, you can go lower but then it won't last as long.

Lithium has its own challenges but you can discharge them down further and bring them back up quicker without negative effects, but they are dangerous if not looked after correctly.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-03-2016, 02:06 PM   #3089
nstg8a

I love this thread, I'm slowly drawing up plans for my shed, which I'm planning on being totally solar/battery powered.
It will have aircon but given it won't be used all the time, or even the shed used every day I'm hoping il get away with a lower amount of battery storage for the time being.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #3090
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Sort of expensive way to be off the grid. I bet Diesel out your way is not $1.00 a litre either. Wondering what the most economical diesel generator would be for back up ? 8 Panels doesn't seem much ?

Haha - I probably pay less for diesel that you do.
If I have to go to Caboolture, Brisbane or Toowoomba I always fill up either in Blackbutt or Colinton, it's usually about 6c (at least) cheaper than those places.

I think it's an expensive way to be off the grid as well. I certainly wouldn't be following suit. At least I have 20 panels and a compatible inverter for starters.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post