Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #31
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

cold hard facts are good, but what if you dont have cold hard facts???

why dont you all just flat change lol, it will ensure you get the revs high for the next change :hihi:

just dont complaing about drive train issues and broken boxes hahahahahaha

but still, flat changing is funs every once in a blue moon :P

Member of the MTAS
Founder of TTM (team twink motorsport)

Founder of the AFFDDPS (Australian Ford Forums Drink Driving Punishment Squad)
champsky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #32
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Except for every professional race driver in almost any motor racing catagory...all of which use a shift light that has been programmed to give the optimal rev point to change gears.

Feeling the car is good but, given that or cold hard facts off a dyno, along with an understanding of your cars gearing, I'll take the cold hard facts any day.
This is true...sometimes the car is producing more torque even though it does not feel like it.So on a dyno for the pupose of finding peak torque in each gear is a top way to know. But for everyone else who would not have the time or money the feel of the car is not bad either.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #33
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by champsky
cold hard facts are good, but what if you dont have cold hard facts???

why dont you all just flat change lol, it will ensure you get the revs high for the next change :hihi:

just dont complaing about drive train issues and broken boxes hahahahahaha

but still, flat changing is funs every once in a blue moon :P
I have an auto.So finding peak torque and getting the gearbox changing in conjunction with torque should give a very good result.Especally with the quicker change capabilities of the auto.
Old 19-02-2005, 11:59 AM   #34
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Guys, Guys, Guys................
All this thread is very good for those that can actually use it, ie enginneers , pit crew,
mechanics...but I mean really...why get into an argument about it. Lets simplify things here... You put your fott on the accelator to give more fuel to the engine...it in turn makes the car go....end of story. :P
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2005, 12:58 PM   #35
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw
Guys, Guys, Guys................
All this thread is very good for those that can actually use it, ie enginneers , pit crew,
mechanics...but I mean really...why get into an argument about it. Lets simplify things here... You put your fott on the accelator to give more fuel to the engine...it in turn makes the car go....end of story. :P
OI! you forgot the girl. :nutsycuck

Everyone drives differently, it's who gets to the end of the quater first that matters.

Basically when you see the other cars tail lights it's ... race over! :thebirds:
Old 19-02-2005, 01:11 PM   #36
Stav
Smile

I only started this post because I finally discovered that torque is relevant to cars speed. Bigger power gives more torque at a higher engine speed.That is why bigger power feels better in a manual..reviing it out gets to higher torque later and corresponds with gear changes ..

Soeither modify the auto to take advantage of peak torque or make more power to have more torque to go quicker

Last edited by Stav; 19-02-2005 at 01:14 PM.
Old 19-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #37
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

but.... judgin by the rate of the acceleration, times by the noth side of an isoselese (sp) triangle divieded by the earths gravitational foce on garden gnomes. then add it to the time it takes my washing machine to finish its spin cycle squared by the cost of a half baked pizza to the power of 5 pied, and you should come to the conclusion that jessica alba is way hotter than jennifer garner.

i bet your al asking whats that got to do with the rice in china? well......mmmmmmmmmm rice <drools>

Member of the MTAS

Old 19-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #38
Stav
Smile

ok well I thought it would be interesting to talk about...
Old 19-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #39
champsky
THCC Motorsport member 1

oh it is but its like many topics, it wont come to an end, i wasnt knockin ya or anything, but ive had alot of these kind of threads in other forums lol, and there will always be someone in here taht will disagree and tell you what they think to be correct, its just an ongoing cycle im afraid :(

Member of the MTAS

Old 19-02-2005, 01:34 PM   #40
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Quote:
but.... judgin by the rate of the acceleration, times by the noth side of an isoselese (sp) triangle divieded by the earths gravitational foce on garden gnomes. then add it to the time it takes my washing machine to finish its spin cycle squared by the cost of a half baked pizza to the power of 5 pied, and you should come to the conclusion that jessica alba is way hotter than jennifer garner.

i bet your al asking whats that got to do with the rice in china? well......mmmmmmmmmm rice <drools>
Actually I was thinking about the price of tea in China.

Oh god, my sides are hurting from laughing.

Rice is bad mmkay! :nutsycuck
Old 20-02-2005, 12:02 AM   #41
Stav
Smile

Anyhows i thought people may have further thoughts on my observation from this article?
Old 20-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #42
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Quote:
you should come to the conclusion that jessica alba is way hotter than jennifer garner
I agree with your conclusion!

Dan..

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 12:31 AM   #43
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Anyhows i thought people may have further thoughts on my observation from this article?
TORQUE is all that matters, and I dont mean that ****ey Vim Diesel movie!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 12:39 AM   #44
Steffo
LPG > You

IMO.. the best acceleration is attained with a good, flat torque curve.. ala E55 AMG. 700Nm @ 2650 - 4500rpm.. and 350kW @ 6100rpm. I would go into more detail.. but its 11:40pm and I'm tired..
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 06:56 AM   #45
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
you should come to the conclusion that jessica alba is way hotter than jennifer garner
Hey, why did this ever stray off the topic of Jessica Alba....

Useless I've yet to read the article but am interested to when its not 5.56am in the morning and I'm still at work...yay 34mins to go!

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 08:37 AM   #46
YOOT
Banned

This is all relevant unless you drive an XR6 Turbo, the whole rev range is peak torque, it accel at a constant rate from 2000rpm and never feels like its going harder or softer untill your head bounces off the steering wheel cause you've hit the rev cut!

I swear the BA can defy gravity as well :sm_headba
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2005, 09:02 AM   #47
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Hey, why did this ever stray off the topic of Jessica Alba....

Useless I've yet to read the article but am interested to when its not 5.56am in the morning and I'm still at work...yay 34mins to go!
Differing opinions and differing people deal with certain things differently. Hate to see what would happen if they went to court or church. Might be chewing the seats.

Aguy wanting to get the best out of an automatic gearboxed worked car may want to get his chip programmed to shift at a better point.I think this is a very significant idea regardless. Most people short change themselves in autos by just working on the motor. The transmission is what gets all of the mumbo happening on the ground.

Last edited by Stav; 20-02-2005 at 09:27 AM.