Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-06-2022, 09:52 PM   #1
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Nobody under 35 has had to deal with expensive interest rates, I remember in the early 00’s when I got married, we had a mortgage and TWO car loans, my mum went nuts saying we were overextended when she made do with the same XD wagon family car for 18 years.
Fast forward and it’s worse, every family member has a new car,JetSki,boat, the latest tv, $100/month iphone27, Bali holiday twice a year and designer clothes, but they can’t afford an increase in their mortgage. They will learn that prioritising expenses does not mean you are below the poverty line.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 09-06-2022, 06:25 AM   #2
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Nobody under 35 has had to deal with expensive interest rates, I remember in the early 00’s when I got married, we had a mortgage and TWO car loans, my mum went nuts saying we were overextended when she made do with the same XD wagon family car for 18 years.
Fast forward and it’s worse, every family member has a new car,JetSki,boat, the latest tv, $100/month iphone27, Bali holiday twice a year and designer clothes, but they can’t afford an increase in their mortgage. They will learn that prioritising expenses does not mean you are below the poverty line.
Pretty spot on.Money has been cheap to purchase, as a result a lot have overextended by buying their ‘toy’s, redrawing off their mortgages with no thought of what can happen around the corner.They are now paying for that.I have absolutely no sympathy for them.Very bad financial management.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:21 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
One thing I have always said is if people were really struggling then there would be no cars at the McDonalds drive through..

And there is generally always a line of cars.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2022, 10:57 AM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
One thing I have always said is if people were really struggling then there would be no cars at the McDonalds drive through..

And there is generally always a line of cars.
?? Maccas et al have a fool proof business case.

When times are tough they are the cheapest going around, when times are good people eat it more than they should...win win.

Its scary how much cheaper it is to "feed" a family there than the local fish and chip shop.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: