Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2021, 07:59 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default E46 New Interior Trim Supplier

I’m chasing two seals for my mate, new/genuine:

Who’s the current hit pick for such stuff? I’d probably order separately, a fortnight apart.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2021, 08:52 PM   #2
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: E46 New Interior Trim Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m chasing two seals for my mate, new/genuine:

Who’s the current hit pick for such stuff? I’d probably order separately, a fortnight apart.
Check local or a dealer. Not cheap. A quick look around at uS, Europe and Aussie places it was US$530 (pelican/turner), 310euro (schmiedmann) or AU$800 local (bmw sydney).

I'd join a e46 facebook group and related dismantlers of BMW and look for good cond 2nd/h ones.

But if you want new, 310euro ea from schmiedmann looks the best deal @ AU$490ea another 45euro for shipping, not sure if they will charge GST on top, probably, so expect so.
Some don't, I've never had to pay GST with small US sellers like pelican and FCPeuro as they aren;t registered, but schmiedmann is an aussie favourite so they may have registered for GST collection.

So ~AU$610 ea from schmiedmann (E: if buying separately - I'd avoid that because you'll be likely paying GST anyway, save ~$80 freight by placing one order for both), or $800ea local.

Last edited by oldel; 21-11-2021 at 09:04 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-11-2021, 09:15 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My mate wants new, it’s just the way he is. I’d fix the hail dents first myself.

I’d found a place in Latvia called “emiauto” but have no idea of their reputation amongst enthusiasts. If they did tax free it would likely be cheaper than Schmiedmann.
Old 21-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #4
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never heard of new parts from latvia. There's lots of good s/h and wreckers based there with good reputations but I'd be suprised with new stock.

The emiauto website looks pretty new and generic to me.
Their charging the same price as schmiedmann, shipping could be more or slower/less reliable, ie things go missing lol. Would be a risk I'd take if they were really cheap and I could afford to lose ~$500, not worth it if they're charging the same price (or within 10%/GST).

But what do I know, I haven't ordered anything BMW from overseas for over a year or more.
E: I'm interested though and in their checkout they mention VAT, but seems to be less.
I registered with them because I'm interested in trying them out one day and at least they quoted the same in shipping, about 43euro, so at least that's not more than what schmeidmann charges too.

OK, I ran it through to the end and they removed taxes! So the whole total with shipping was 309euros - 266 for the seal, 43 for the shipping.

caveat: they only take paypal, aliexpress pay or international bank transfer. Doesn't seem like they can do regular credit card payments through a trusted banking gateway, though I suppose you can pay as a paypal guest with CC, just fees and exchange rates are terrible.

Last edited by oldel; 21-11-2021 at 09:35 PM.
Old 21-11-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s interesting. I noted they use a flaky review site that mimics TrustPilot, that’s not a confidence builder. I’m somewhat open-minded about businesses in Latvia and Lithuania, the new economies are still emerging.
Old 22-11-2021, 12:07 AM   #6
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah for the record second hand bmw parts in lithuania and latvia aren't a problem. It seems most wrecked cars in Europe end up there and like I said there's many good trustworthy parts resellers based there now. Most people outside of USA have no problem using them, Breakers from latvia, lithuania and Estonia have advertised and successfully sold on UK ebay for ages, it just seems where these old german cars end up.

On one hand it wouldn't suprise me that some entrepreneur has noticed how much business 2nd hand BMW parts (or other euros) have got from there and started a legit business with new parts, maybe they can get cheaper genuine parts pricing at what BMW charge to eastern euro country dealers and their stores and shop will cost less in labour compared to Germany or Denmark. On the other hand on my first purchase from them I would be testing the waters with things much cheaper. I sometimes think the parted out cars for wrecking don't get there legitimately anyway...

Even if I knew of this new business before your reply (and it is new), I'd worry about 'missing' parcels, slow freight out of the country, or customs hold ups.

I know of the 2nd hand parts from there and people I know in UK, Japan etc never had issues, but never used them myself because I gritted teeth, joined FB and FB BMW groups and ended up buying s/h in australia. That was my choice - latvia or FB and ex eastern states LOL.

EE: check around in scandanavian places because as much as they love new EVs like we keep getting told the enthusiasts over there love their old RWD german marques. To them the old german marques are like our falcons are to us (one even put a barra in an old BMW IIRC). They'd be the most frequent/likely people buying from baltic sellers like this one.

Last edited by oldel; 22-11-2021 at 12:30 AM.
Old 22-11-2021, 12:42 AM   #7
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh, btw I checked a few posts about schmeidmann in BMW land, seems like they don't charge you GST, so they may not be registered for it. They ship using DHL and DHL stings you over here anyway.
Not suprised DHL do that, heard nothing good about them. When I buy it's usually USA and I go usps or ups, or from UK using their services so I've never had a GST sting, unlike DHL who are renowned for it - and if they have to do the paperwork because the overseas seller didn't then they charge fees on top for the paperwork and collection.

E:*Interestingly schmeidmann didn't remove tax either when I ran your parts through checkout, so might be double dipping here - schmeidmann charging you VAT, not removing it and then DHL stinging you with GST on top of a price that was already locally taxed with VAT, double tax and a tax on a tax. If you don't trust emiauto might have to email schmeidmann for an explanation why they didn't remove VAT for australia while EMIauto did, and their gst/Australia policies. Pretty sure they use DHL.

Because my life has stalled I haven't bought from them - or logged into facebook BMW groups- at all for a year or more, so I don't know recent aussie experiences.

Last edited by oldel; 22-11-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 22-11-2021, 08:57 AM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how many cars trucks etc are you working on?
Old 22-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Ten or eleven, why?
Old 22-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #10
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just curious,

what's your daily job or is this it? if so fun time glad your enjoying it.
Old 07-12-2021, 09:35 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thanks to oldel.

Ended up with Schmiedmann, old mate was short on folding so I just got him the driver’s side seal. Comes out just under $600 with exchange rates as of the purchase time. No tax outgoing, will see if DHL try it on after landing here. Purchase process was confidence-inspiring; the bank wanted a single use code to authorise the drawdown.

Still think it’s a waste of coin for a hail-damaged, uninsured car with kerbed aftermarket wheels and rotting windscreen trim.
Old 14-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

…Right when I’m expecting an email saying “Your order is ready to ship” - instead there’s an e-newsletter with the first item being an urgent statement of their computer network crashing. Followed by exhortations to buy now, prices will go up in January.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Plant
Really makes me wonder
Old 14-12-2021, 02:02 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sometimes it's just easier to buy local and pay higher prices
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2021, 06:24 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

$1050 vs $600?

I accept the rule of caveat emptor but not stressing just yet. This is one raised eyebrow territory, not race-to-the-bank-and-reverse-the-card-transaction time.
Old 17-12-2021, 05:07 AM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

“We under quoted your freight by USD$54.”

So, in preparation for my 17th of January colonoscopy, I am submitting to necessary procedures for extraction of the extra funding and CC surcharges.
Old 07-02-2022, 10:02 PM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

To - for now, at least - close out the initial topic:

I paid a little under $680 including foreign currency transaction fees, for the trim, a good $300+ cheaper than local pricing. Delivery took ages, it arrived early January after both sitting most of a week at the Changi freight terminal and then lots of vagaries with FedEx. Even their chatbot was crashing! Not until I politely asked, could I please collect it myself, did it arrive.

Schmiedmann were not interested in proactively chasing up a parcel that was mysteriously a fortnight late - black mark there. However, the part is correct, undamaged, exactly what was wanted. The window regulator apparently now needs replacement; whether attempted forced entry or just old age I don’t know yet.

I appreciate the input of others who offered suggestions, particularly oldel, as it probably saved me from having to chase a vendor of less integrity - and maybe having no parts yet arrived.
Old 12-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #17
connie

Quote:
To - for now, at least - close out the initial topic:

I paid a little under $680 including foreign currency transaction fees, for the trim, a good $300+ cheaper than local pricing. Delivery took ages, it arrived early January after both sitting most of a week at the Changi freight terminal and then lots of vagaries with FedEx. Even their chatbot was crashing! Not until I politely asked, could I please collect it myself, did it arrive.

Schmiedmann were not interested in proactively chasing up a parcel that was mysteriously a fortnight late - black mark there. However, the part is correct, undamaged, exactly what was wanted. The window regulator apparently now needs replacement; whether attempted forced entry or just old age I don’t know yet.

I appreciate the input of others who offered suggestions, particularly oldel, as it probably saved me from having to chase a vendor of less integrity - and maybe having no parts yet arrived.
Hi is 380 $ a fair price to supply and fit hood lining in FG Falcon ?
connie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2022, 10:53 AM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie View Post
Hi is 380 $ a fair price to supply and fit hood lining in FG Falcon ?
Wrong thread. Try asking in the FG section.
Old 17-03-2022, 12:53 PM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Sometimes it's just easier to buy local and pay higher prices
I may yet follow your exhorting. Does anyone here know a good BMW parts interpreter or have model knowledge? Help would be appreciated, please.

…For “The car that keeps crumbling” (is it made from recycled Citroën BX?) - more stuff.

I want to know the difference between sedan/wagon and coupé/convertible scuttle trims. They have different part numbers. One dealer online says they interchange, but doesn’t back it up with any comments.

51718189100 vs
Old 17-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I may yet follow your exhorting. Does anyone here know a good BMW parts interpreter or have model knowledge? Help would be appreciated, please.

…For “The car that keeps crumbling” (is it made from recycled Citroën BX?) - more stuff.

I want to know the difference between sedan/wagon and coupé/convertible scuttle trims. They have different part numbers. One dealer online says they interchange, but doesn’t back it up with any comments.

51718189100 vs
Peninsula BM in Mornington Peninsula here in VIC are an ace BMW wrecker, though they know the value of the **** they sell so anything you buy won't come cheap.

https://shop.peninsulabm.com/blogs/n...rts-now-online

https://shop.peninsulabm.com/

They'd be my recommendation for a call, they only do Hitler's finest.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 17-03-2022 at 01:04 PM.
Old 18-03-2022, 01:41 AM   #21
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Peninsula BM in Mornington Peninsula here in VIC are an ace BMW wrecker, though they know the value of the **** they sell so anything you buy won't come cheap.
Too true, the only sell for next to new price and don't lift a finger unless it's profitable - probably don't bother with interstate stuff either, when I've contacted them I've got a "no"*

Use realoem for parts numbers
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select
If realoem doen't say it is interchangeable, it's usually not.

Double check with experienced US resellers like pelican, bav auto, fcp euro, autohausAZ, BMW dealers that sell online in the US (such as BMW atlanta), ecstuning and so on for compatibility if LHD doesn't matter.
If RHD matters (steering, wipers, interior etc), triple check with UK sites and forums, aussie dealers don't know anything about the classics, so best info is from o/s.
It's not just price that had forced me to overseas vendors, it's the fact they know these older BMWs, while local BMW dealers do not - they've long since lost interest in the 'old bangers'. Before contacting one and waiting 6 months from Germany they expect you to have already done the realoem parts search and compatibility research.

*E: penninsula have it at almost dealer pricing, pickup only too https://shop.peninsulabm.com/product...ne-51718189100

Sydney BMW https://parts.bmwsydney.com.au/p/BMW...718189100.html

Anyway, looks like 51718189100 is obviously RHD only and fast becoming NLA, so usual choices of UK, schneidmann, BMW in sydney or penninsular motors only.

Everything I've seen for 51718232896 lists only coupes and convertibles and LHD (even though it looks rhd to me). But the fact that heaps of people in the US have bought it from FPCeuro makes me think it is LHD

Last edited by oldel; 18-03-2022 at 02:11 AM.
Old 18-03-2022, 02:14 AM   #22
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that last part is wrong but I can't edit, I didn't realise google put me on to xxxxxx894. But I think xx896 is coupe/convertible RHD and xx894 is c/c LHD

But some more sleuthing had UK posts about xxxxxx100 for sedans, and the fact that that's the sold out unobtanium high priced one, that's probably the rhd aussie sedan/wagon one...

Last edited by oldel; 18-03-2022 at 02:20 AM.
Old 18-03-2022, 07:26 AM   #23
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

All good, your explanations about the left/right hand drive part numbers fill in gaps with my understanding of BMW interpreting - thanks.

Actually scored an NOS part via Col Crawford. $299, wouldn’t budge. If it hadn’t been discontinued I could have had it for $30 less ex-UK, posted and with VAT…

Only a few more trims to replace… A friend’s A-Class is similarly disintegrating but with much less parts support.
Old 18-03-2022, 12:47 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Too true, the only sell for next to new price and don't lift a finger unless it's profitable - probably don't bother with interstate stuff either, when I've contacted them I've got a "no"*
Yeah, you'll pay Melbourne prices from a Melbourne wrecker, and I think that's probably why they're still around nearly 30 years later

You guys with the older Euros are better men than myself, too much drama for this fat ethnic.
Old 18-03-2022, 01:13 PM   #25
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

For comparison, the next order - after left weatherseal is shipped, to avoid GST on the lot. Both e-carts are exactly the same parts.
Finding the Lithuanian vendors are upping their “gringo” prices recently. Need to work on my spoken Russian - it’s the lingua franca of East European parts deals.
Old 18-03-2022, 10:30 PM   #26
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, you'll pay Melbourne prices from a Melbourne wrecker, and I think that's probably why they're still around nearly 30 years later

You guys with the older Euros are better men than myself, too much drama for this fat ethnic.
They actually made stupid money on the land value they were on. They crushed all the 'boring' cars, ie the less hyped ones and got rid of most stock. Now mostly a new parts seller - doing what anyone could DIY if they knew realoem and overseas parts suppliers like schmiemann or UK for RHD, and any of the US ones if there was no LHD/RHD differences.

E: Biggest name wrecker I know in NSW is bavarian motor works in castle hill.

But really joining a facebook group is the way to go with these old things (and making good friends with brits and americans on the remaining car forums - BMW forums are more alive than other euro/asian marques as many owners are DIYers)

Last edited by oldel; 18-03-2022 at 10:36 PM.
Old 29-03-2022, 12:57 PM   #27
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Schmiedmann must be pushing their freight carriers a bit harder. Second door seal shipped DHL with no surcharge (unlike the first one, which went FedEx), and is already in Australia after leaving Denmark on Friday. It’s about $80 less freight this time.