Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-11-2021, 12:40 PM   #61
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Dent puller for au2 bonnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
so im gonna guess , still no bonnet from the add then
Just too much drama, had to restart my Facebook account which I hate, just to send a message back, he emailed me so why couldn't I just send email back?.....nope, that's too easy, upload or download a Messenger app that I don't want!

Give me the old Quokka any day, I will fix mine, lot of dramatic but have lots of time too.

Thanks for your time and effort
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2021, 02:25 AM   #62
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry mate the old Quokka is dead. I had also deleted FB back in 2013 but I had to resurrect my account purely for car parts and forums last year during covid lockdowns - most car forums are dead, this particular one is an outlier, but trust me most car forums are dead too. What you see on GT is nothing compared to bargains and ex-east stuff you find on FB these days.

I had to get onto facebook for car forums for other marques and especially for parts wrecking. I got denied for months trying to reinstate or start a new account so it was damned hard for some reason, so I'm just glad you didn't have a much trouble as me getting an account back.

You only need facebook messenger app if doing messaging with a phone or mobile device. If you can get to a PC then you can access facebook messages just like you check private message on a forum like this one, by logging on via PC and checking pm/messages like you do here.
(your mention of you get an email but can't reply directly is just like forums where you also get an email when you get a PM/message, but you can't reply to it, you have to log onto the beast via a PC and reply via the system.

You only need the messenger app for facebook if you don't have access to a PC. On a PC with your FB account you can log in and reply just like a forum Private message on a PC.

E: No matter what you say, I am old, so I hate phone or mobile device internet or app usage myself I'm trying to change that, looking at a 2 in 1 (tablet with keyboard), my old laptops don't have a long enough battery life for the road and of course the desktop has to be binned.

Last edited by oldel; 11-11-2021 at 02:39 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-11-2021, 08:22 AM   #63
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It’s a shame there is no workaround, like a formal third party offering a way to view Marketplace and communicate without needing your own account.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2021, 09:49 AM   #64
slowsnake
Banned

Well that's technology for you, I feel like one of the Amazon natives who are lost on purpose trying to shoot down helicopters with a bow and arrow!.....

But, it's just a silly exercise for me, trying to make something nice out of something not nice!...but being me, the glass half full dude, I spent over a $120 bucks at Supercheap on paint and acrylic lacquer, wet and dry sandpaper, they dident have a glue gun so I bought araldite, ( it don't work ) but really who am I kidding, the car is worth nothing, and why after 10 years am I doing it?...not sure, but everytime I use a hammer it bloody hurts, but I have time to kill, I don't care if I die trying, or laughing, lol,
Old 11-11-2021, 11:03 AM   #65
slowsnake
Banned

No glue gun at Supercheap so this is araldite, and they pulled off?
Mmmm, so put superglue on blue widgits and the araldite was still stuck to bonnet, lol, hammer and chisel job, but araldite and superglue, see how that goes, and I bought a cheap dinging spoon, should fit behind bonnet frame to use as a light dolly, still can't get a shrinking hammer, nowhere can I find a shrinking hammer?

Here's pic of widgets,

Old 11-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #66
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
It’s a shame there is no workaround, like a formal third party offering a way to view Marketplace and communicate without needing your own account.
Design an app CB, call it CB's MPA,...

Am serious,
Old 11-11-2021, 11:13 AM   #67
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've discovered a workaround. I use the wife's faceache account
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #68
slowsnake
Banned

I don't have a wife, but if I did, she wouldn't have a social media account, lol, I'd sack her, can you imagine after a hard day at the coalface, " where's my dinner woman " wait a bit dear, I'm just on Facebook?.....
Old 11-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #69
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
still can't get a shrinking hammer, nowhere can I find a shrinking hammer?
Have you tried Total Tools or Sparesbox?
Old 11-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #70
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
A 'light', cheap (and I suspect not great standard) one is available on catch.com.au for $57, including free shipping.

https://www.catch.com.au/product/kc-...yABEgJFuvD_BwE

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #71
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Haven't physically walked into the stores you mention, but have looked online, found one but delivery next year?
Cheap Chinese stuff, because car panels are so thin now they just replace the panel, shrinking hammers are used on older cars, with thick skins, my 62 EK Van was so thick I welded it with an electrode, lol, probably can't buy 14g rods now, technology just beats the crap out of artisans and craftsmen, used an old EMF Pilot arc welder, they were good, 200 amp AC push button controlled, and 4 sets of points, we ended up using it for aluminium TIG welding, they ended up being scrapped, like the old Aluminium bodied Sampson welder, the amount of copper in em was unbelievable, but you don't see "choke" welding machines now, or the brilliant DC Lincoln Bullet, another brilliant machine whose demise was its weight or copper content!
Old 11-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #72
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Haven't physically walked into the stores you mention, but have looked online, found one but delivery next year?
Well there's 7 Total Tools in the Perth Metro area, one should be close.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #73
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
A 'light', cheap (and I suspect not great standard) one is available on catch.com.au for $57, including free shipping.

https://www.catch.com.au/product/kc-...yABEgJFuvD_BwE
Seen that one, but they don't show the shrinking face, and $57 to me is not cheap, lol, if i was working yes, but a lot from my pension, thought I may find a cheaper but last for one job type, I will never use it again?
Old 11-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #74
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Well there's 7 Total Tools in the Perth Metro area, one should be close.
There's one opposite Auto One, Supercheap up the road, Bunnings around the corner, may drop in today, believe it or not am still unwell from fitting my alternator last week!
Took more from me than I had to give!..lol..
But will look today, I have to go to bank anyway, thanks mate!

Thanks everyone actually!...
Old 11-11-2021, 12:04 PM   #75
slowsnake
Banned

Don't have my vernier callipers or access to a micrometer but would like to know just how thick my panels are, compared to say an 68 XT Falcon, or an older 60's Ford, might not be enough to shrink?

Used to use powdered AC powder before, just mix a paste and work out where to shrink, spread paste on, poke holes with finger where you want to shrink then heat to Cherry red with torch/oxy let cool, maybe I'm just dreaming, I don't know, but I did want minimal bog, that's all!

Last edited by slowsnake; 11-11-2021 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Autospell
Old 11-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #76
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Seen that one, but they don't show the shrinking face, and $57 to me is not cheap, lol, if i was working yes, but a lot from my pension, thought I may find a cheaper but last for one job type, I will never use it again?
Well, 'cheap' was a comparative comment. Some I saw when I did a google search were up around the $200 mark, so $57 is cheap compared to them

But, yes, I appreciate that it is a lot for some, especially if you are only going to use it once.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2021, 05:22 PM   #77
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

The shrinking face would look like this, lot's of tiny pyramid's
How close are you to Wangara ?
https://varietypaints.com.au/product...enuine-hickory
Most Auto paint shop's will stock them

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2021, 05:38 PM   #78
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get yourself a shrinking disc Billy..
five 7 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #79
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by five 7 View Post
Get yourself a shrinking disc Billy..
+1 for a shrinking disc, a good dolly and slapper to.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #80
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
nowhere can I find a shrinking hammer
not cheap, but

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=en_AU&start=1
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2021, 10:33 PM   #81
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
+1 for a shrinking disc, a good dolly and slapper to.
Already got a slapper, and for shrinking I use my heating torch, only butane, the heating disc costs too much, I like shrinking hammers, some hate em, panelbeaters and others swear by em?
But you get an old worn out sanding disc, use that as a shrinking disc, that's how that idea started, even when I took my paint off iused a sanding disc, once worn you have your heating disc!

But one of my neighbours complained about the tap-tap-tap driving his dog nuts, you never notice it when you are the one making the noise, lol,
He bought me a tin of Septone bog today, I think he's trying to tell me something, it's very echoey though, I just think I'm going over the top with this, I can't even hold the damn dolly properly, so may just skim the filler over it instead of all this mucking about, in reality it's only a bloody AU bonnet?......what am I thinking ��

But, it's been a good thread eh boys, and leesa!......

Last edited by slowsnake; 11-11-2021 at 10:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:06 PM   #82
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Already got a slapper, and for shrinking I use my heating torch, only butane, the heating disc costs too much, I like shrinking hammers, some hate em, panelbeaters and others swear by em?
But you get an old worn out sanding disc, use that as a shrinking disc, that's how that idea started, even when I took my paint off iused a sanding disc, once worn you have your heating disc!

But one of my neighbours complained about the tap-tap-tap driving his dog nuts, you never notice it when you are the one making the noise, lol,
He bought me a tin of Septone bog today, I think he's trying to tell me something, it's very echoey though, I just think I'm going over the top with this, I can't even hold the damn dolly properly, so may just skim the filler over it instead of all this mucking about, in reality it's only a bloody AU bonnet?......what am I thinking ��

It was an old school panel beater that first put me onto shrinking discs, when i got reasonably good with them the less i used a hammer, I got a much better finish with the disks and used considerably less filler.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2021, 11:21 PM   #83
slowsnake
Banned

I think nowadays panelbeaters or the majority do insurance work, the artisan panelbeaters are few and far between, its just the cost is so prohibitive to repair things, alright if it's a valuable vehicle, but the little shopping trolleys of today, we'll you lean on em and they cave in so just bolt and unscrew now, but I think I got a bit ahead of myself on this bonnet, was trying to keep my mind busy and occupy some time without hurting myself, lol, I am achy as hell to be honest, but its been an interesting thread for those who are a bit green 😉
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2021, 11:28 PM   #84
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'd get you a hammer if it would make your life easier but reading this thread I think you need time to recuperate as it's causing pain to swing a hammer right now. From the outset I thought getting a new bonnet would be easier and cheaper, but I know you want to follow this through especially as you've spent heaps on paint so I know the feeling. Give it a few days off, then come back saying you're chasing a bonnet (or instead still want a shrinking hammer and glue gun, whatever).

Personally I'd go a replacement bonnet and willing to help you pick one up and change over. But if you have a cunning plan to fix your old one that you could pull off in an arvo I'd stick around and help you see it through. If you're still up to the challenge in a week or two then you can have a lend of my mapp gas turbo torch, glue gun, hammers etc. I also have a mini oxy set I used for roof top brazing back in my air con days - it runs off mapp and oxy. E: oxy turbo 200 like this https://www.actrol.com.au/product/te...ng-m12-7001755
The tiny oxy cylinder is $60 for a refill and I think mines low or empty - I only used it when lugging up roof tops and my small cylinder, but it works it when you need real heat real fast for about 20min, and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by oldel; 11-11-2021 at 11:42 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #85
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
I think nowadays panelbeaters or the majority do insurance work, the artisan panelbeaters are few and far between, its just the cost is so prohibitive to repair things, alright if it's a valuable vehicle, but the little shopping trolleys of today, we'll you lean on em and they cave in so just bolt and unscrew now, but I think I got a bit ahead of myself on this bonnet, was trying to keep my mind busy and occupy some time without hurting myself, lol, I am achy as hell to be honest, but its been an interesting thread for those who are a bit green ��
I work in a panel shop, we still repair as much as we can, like if a panel-beater can repair a door in a couple of hours @ $40 a hour, its cheaper than buying a second hand one @ $350 + costs to remove and refit, paint inside and out etc, we pump out 70+ cars a week, anything from a scratched bumper to a full front ender with airbags out, the tech we have at our disposal now makes the repair a much quicker and cheaper option than to replace.

I have to agree that the traditional panel beater is long gone, this has a lot to do with the repair procedures that we now have to abide by and some repairs are now not possible, not safe or cost effective.

Im no longer repairing, but some of the guys we have are pretty good and fast, the water based paint is the thing that I cant get over, 2pac was just coming in the last time I got out of the industry, now they paint with water based and it looks great.

Good luck with the bonnet repair, I myself would have had a go at repairing it too if it was mine
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2021, 07:14 AM   #86
slowsnake
Banned

Yep your right prctjoker, easier to spell, 2 pac blew me away back I think in the early 90's the first time I saw it, we were still using acrylic paint and 4-5 clear coats, but that was just us boys working on our cars after our normal day jobs, we still used acrylics, I mean try using 2 pac under ya carport?
And it's cheap for me, easy to cut back, and I'm older now, in all reality I'm actually just sitting around waiting to die, and I want to be active when it happens!..not trying to be morbid or draw attention but that's my life, sitting around so I can't hurt myself?.....that's not my idea of life. Work is a must do for all men, its what makes you who you are, in particular you learn interaction with others, that really means that you learn who and what to avoid!...

PS - And water based paints left me totally confused ��

Last edited by slowsnake; 12-11-2021 at 07:16 AM. Reason: AddPS
Old 12-11-2021, 08:24 AM   #87
leesa

Quote:
in reality it's only a bloody AU bonnet?......what am I thinking ��

Whatever makes you happy, slowsnake. If banging dents out of a bloody AU bonnet brings you joy, go right ahead. Is your goal to just get it fixed or is it to have a crack at pulling it out without bog and learning on the way? Can you find an old-timey panelbeater locally that might be interested in helping? All of us are just waiting around to die, some unfortunately a little sooner than others but we can all keep learning and finetuning skills if that's what makes us happy.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2021, 08:46 AM   #88
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Whatever makes you happy, slowsnake. If banging dents out of a bloody AU bonnet brings you joy, go right ahead. Is your goal to just get it fixed or is it to have a crack at pulling it out without bog and learning on the way? Can you find an old-timey panelbeater locally that might be interested in helping? All of us are just waiting around to die, some unfortunately a little sooner than others but we can all keep learning and finetuning skills if that's what makes us happy.
I knew you would answer, I actually invited you by name!..I knew if I just said "boys" then you would burr up about it, so I included you as a courtesy.
It's an easy fix to a healthy body, but alas I'm broken physically not mentally or emotionally, I have no reason to repair this vehicle as it is not a collectable car "per se" but I needed a little job to keep me occupied without hurting myself along the way, I do not wish to pay any person or panelbeater, and I do not need help, I am surrounded by neighbours, my next door neighbour is 29 yrs old and as lazy as the day is long, wouldn't work in an iron lung, been trying to show or teach him the importance of work to help him with his daily life, I can't get through to him, he has a type of autism, can't be too bad if he has a car licence and goes to Tai Kwon Do classes twice weekly, he has a black belt, that shows he can understand why we need discipline in our lives.

But he just wants to get his disability pension every 2 weeks and spend it on pot, that's his life, locks himself indoors and just smokes pot " medicinal purposes" he says, lol,....

And as for sitting around waiting to die, well I feel fortunate, not unlucky or unfortunate but am quite happy and relaxed about it, but I want to be active not inactive, that's just a personal choice, like fixing my bonnet, just something the person I give it to does not have to fix, may add a little value, it's not worth a lot, but it's quite straight for a 2000 AU2 Fairmont.

Thanks for replying.....nicely..
Old 12-11-2021, 05:01 PM   #89
slowsnake
Banned

Ready for stop putty tomorrow......

7 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2021, 06:51 PM   #90
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Ready for stop putty tomorrow......

Pics of bog not loading

And for what it’s worth, I do know a thing or two about old school panel beating.
I built this 4 years ago, 1 if 2 I built.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: