Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-11-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
slowsnake
Banned

Default Dent puller for au2 bonnett

Trying to find a dent puller to get dent from kangaroo out of bonnet, the old school slide hammer, and I made heaps of em for my mates, pull bearings both inner outer, but I made a few for car body dents, with a 32 mm long 4 gauge threaded screw, so drill a tiny hole screw in thread and just gently pull out and MIG weld holes.

Do you think I can buy one like that?... they sell kits online where they use a glue gun and nylon discs of varying dia, you glue a few on and thread slide hammer to it?

But the whole kit and caboodle vary so much in price it's a minefield of very similar advertisements, am going to Supercheap as they have a slide hammer, $79 bucks, but reviews from customers online are woefully negatory, this dent is hidden behind the bonnet frame and has to be pulled, I can't get behind it so need to pull it, any ideas are welcome, any thoughts on it welcome, keep in mind I only have one usable hand and am nearly 69yrs old, and don't have welder now, and I like minimal body filler.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Dent puller for au2 bonnett

Mate I've tried those glue on discs, and then you clamp a threaded puller over the top and wind the puller. Limited success.
It was just a cheapie off ebay.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 04:48 PM   #3
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Mate I've tried those glue on discs, and then you clamp a threaded puller over the top and wind the puller. Limited success.
It was just a cheapie off ebay.
Yep that's what I thought, that's why i thought the old school slide hammer, with a decent big brass weight would do the job, I wish I still had my old workshop, I used to weld or tack a 3mm plate and weld a bit of chain on and use the 3 ton excavator bucket to pull it, but would just parki under hoist and pull it out that way, have chained cars to telegraph poles and put in reverse to pull front damage out or opposite for rear.

But a bonnet from wreckers is $250 just an AU, I want Fairmont in my Liquid Silver colour, that's an extra $100 bucks on top, if you can get one, so thought I would try pull it and use least amount of filler possible!
I I just hammer then use filler I will have to get stronger bonnet strut on left side!
Old 06-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Will any of the paintless removers quote it?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2021, 10:40 PM   #5
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old style was a screw in as you mentioned, then holes to clean up.
Next was spot welded tabs - as least no holes.

Amateur stuff is hot glue like you've seen. It works OK depending on paint quality.

The latest and greatest is cold glue, some exotic stuff they can pull massive dent out with like magic. For that reason alone it's worth speaking to a PDR professional. It's a way better solution and no holes, no risk in buying dodgey hot glue amateur stuff.

I think I spent $100+ on the weighted puller for hot glue tabs, hot glue gun, the other type of screw out puller (looks like an old phone handset and you'd screw it out). None of it did me any good because ford shockwave, ie the paint just came off rather than pulling on the dent!

I'm attached to my hot glue gun but you're welcome to have a look at the pullers and pads I have to try before thinking if it will work or not.
I got these and it's in some sort of bag so maybe there's something else in it. The puller , the phone looking puller and the hot glue gun I think were all separate purchases - not in a kit so I can't remember or link the details

E: Here's the one I bought from ebay in 2017, PC keyboard for scale. Came in a blue bag and as you can see the handle for the glue pad slot screws off so maybe can buy or make a head/handle for screws or a rivet gun type head to grab the rods of the spot weld type tabs.

Last edited by oldel; 06-11-2021 at 11:08 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2021, 11:02 PM   #6
slowsnake
Banned

Thanks oldel, but I am going to have to take it down to bare metal, it has ( the roo ) reversed the crease that runs down either side of the bonnet.
But it's all under the inner pressed framework, I could just fill it with a couple of tins of filler, but I have never really been Michaelangelo when it comes to sculpting!...lol
It's really just something to pass the time, thought I would try pull it and fix it, but as cheaply as possible, and me being the labour, cos it's free, have all my sanding gear etc, but I was thinking of drilling 6mm holes in frame, which is covered by the sound insulation mat, then bit of heat on crease and push a small drift through drilled hole and try hammer it back, once it's stretched back then I can shrink it to a reasonable level, use filler then sand and paint.

It's not a really smick car just average but much needed runaround.
I just thought easy bit of tap-tap tapping, dollying etc, just a time filler but I like my work to look professional and correct, and I'm damn good with Supercheap acrylic spay paint and lacquer, then cut and polish, I'll get there, like I said its to fill in my long days, and while my body feels like a bit of hard yakka!....
Old 06-11-2021, 11:05 PM   #7
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Will any of the paintless removers quote it?
I will put a pic up and show you both.
Old 06-11-2021, 11:08 PM   #8
slowsnake
Banned

Well that's it!
Old 06-11-2021, 11:10 PM   #9
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ouch.
If you're going to bare metal and repaint I think look for another bonnet.

E: Anyway, see above edit where I've taken a pic of my puller. If you can adapt something to it like I said you're welcome to try it.

Just realised the tip screws off too
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2021, 11:10 PM   #10
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

That’s stuffed. Go buy a new panel.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2021, 11:12 PM   #11
slowsnake
Banned

I have tried, too much dollero, but I can get that with right tools, and paint and clear coat and buff!

Old 06-11-2021, 11:18 PM   #12
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
That’s stuffed. Go buy a new panel.
Sure is, but the roo slid over bonnet and up windscreen, over roof and hopped away, at 100 clicks, damn thing was tough.
Usually you have to kill em to put em out of their misery, I actually come back to do it but it was way gone, just hopped away, I caught it on the bounce, very lucky roo.

But I will get the ding out, one way or the other, with minimal filler!
Old 07-11-2021, 12:39 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Tough one, you’ll need to be careful of not overworking the sheetmetal. It looks like your worst creasing is above the larger part of the bracework, too. Also remove that underfelt before starting, you ideally would use a trim clip tool.

I’d look at removing the airbox only while actually working, you can possibly brace underneath down to the chassis rail. A bit of 2x4 pine with marginal doming to the head for that brace, will be good.

If you had two good arms/hands you might look at starting the job with it face down on a mattress but solo bonnet R&R is not much fun, even so.

There’s a bloke advertising an engine-less AU in Duncraig, it’s on Dumbtree for $350. See if he’ll swap bonnets with you for $120-$150 if it’s correct and mostly undamaged.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 07-11-2021 at 12:47 AM.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #14
slowsnake
Banned

Hey CB, yep underfelt out, but I will need new hold in plugs, everyone snapped on removal, but engine heat I'm assuming, they are so brittle I can snap em with my fingers, lol.

Well oldel is going to drop off his you beaut dent puller today for me to try, so will see how that goes, but in saying that I think they are designed to pop dents not reverse creases, I got my work cut out, but going back to basics like we all used to do in the 70's and I will get there, I just wish I still had my workshop, MIG, TIG, compressor, all my good tools, which I gave away to a young bloke learner when I retired, couldn't carry everything with me, but all advice I get from forum is processed and looked at, and its all welcome, all of it!

Last edited by slowsnake; 07-11-2021 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Autospell
Old 07-11-2021, 12:03 PM   #15
.:4:.
Kicking back

Replacement christmas trees or scrivets or whatever was holding the bonnet under felt on arent hard to get. You can get them from supercheap or repco for not many dollars. But just like everything, you have to know what size you need.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2021, 12:20 PM   #16
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Replacement christmas trees or scrivets or whatever was holding the bonnet under felt on arent hard to get. You can get them from supercheap or repco for not many dollars. But just like everything, you have to know what size you need.
Cheers Number 4, already looking, but geez they were so brittle, I can snap em like a biscuit, that's 21 years of heat for you
Old 07-11-2021, 12:38 PM   #17
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Cheers Number 4, already looking, but geez they were so brittle, I can snap em like a biscuit, that's 21 years of heat for you
When i replaced the trailer plug i wiped out on my bf i noticed the rear bar missing 4 scrivets. Simple run down the street and i cant remember if it was a pack of 8 for $6 or a pack of 6 for $8. Christmas trees are a little cheaper, but either way theyre cheap as chips. Widgets like that (i learnt that term doing work in a factory, it means small single use plastic items) arent designed for re use. They can be if they dont break, but theyre manufactured to cut costs over metal hardware and typically used in areas that if they need to be removed, the warenty on the car or whatever is probably long gone.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #18
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have tried, too much dollero, but I can get that with right tools, and paint and clear coat and buff!

Hey SS, seeing the pic now I see the problem, surely it'll buff out

I just had to throw that in, sorry.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #19
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Hey SS, seeing the pic now I see the problem, surely it'll buff out

I just had to throw that in, sorry.
buff what out ????
i keep reading this thread and im just not seeing what ever your all talking about

just looks like a standard AU to me

being an AU , sorry couldnt help my self

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Having just seen the pic it must've been a small roo

Nevertheless the bonnet won't be an easy fix without a bit of bog.
Old 07-11-2021, 01:59 PM   #21
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Having just seen the pic it must've been a small roo

Nevertheless the bonnet won't be an easy fix without a bit of bog.
Maybe half a coffee mug , if that, I will surprise all of you
And it was a big boomer, 6 footer, on a regional road, I had my big eyes on too, there was a dividing shrub hedge in a paddock on my left, it was running behind that, out of site, we met like "two ships in the night" lol, providence I suppose, would of fed all the aboriginals in my town for a week, went back and it was gone!

Got it right on the bounce!

Last edited by slowsnake; 07-11-2021 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Add a bit
Old 07-11-2021, 02:13 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Mine was still getting ready to to bounce

Old 07-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #23
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:

lucky the airbags didn't deploy..

can you pull dents with an electromagnet or suction cup used for glass??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #24
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Brand-new rental car with 1500km on the clock (missus car was in being repaired by a roo, she's since hit another):

...roo didn't make it. You'll note I didn't hit the roo, he hit me. Damage continued down the RHS.
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #25
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

SS, what about a photo of the bonnet underside?
2 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #26
slowsnake
Banned

Big bubbles, no troubles.....

image uploading
Old 07-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #27
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Ya got to get the timing right, lol, not kidding I seen him coming and got very lucky, dident even smash headlight, but it was 10 yrs ago, just plain lucky
Old 07-11-2021, 08:16 PM   #28
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seeing as we're sharing roo strikes, here's one of a WA Highway Patrol car, I think it was near Ceduna.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2021, 08:39 PM   #29
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake
Maybe half a coffee mug , if that, I will surprise all of you
And it was a big boomer, 6 footer, on a regional road, I had my big eyes on too, there was a dividing shrub hedge in a paddock on my left, it was running behind that, out of site, we met like "two ships in the night" lol, providence I suppose, would of fed all the aboriginals in my town for a week, went back and it was gone!

I’ll hold you to that. I want to see a 10mm square fridge magnet hold on while you push it around the repair.

I won’t be holding me breath waiting to see this.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2021, 09:02 PM   #30
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

Pity you're not in SA, we have 3x U Pull It self serve wrecker's, there's heap's of AU's, and a bonnet is $85

https://upullit.com.au/stock/4623901.jpg

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: