Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-11-2021, 11:07 PM   #1
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why do people blur number plates?

But then go onto have your full name, email, phone, birthday, spouses names, kids names, your friends names, where you work, the restaurants you like to go to, where you went on holiday last year etc all over your Facebook.
If someone has the ability and motivation to track down your car and steal it from the number plate alone, you better take them off when driving on the road aswell "just in case".
I just don't understand why people are still on this.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-11-2021, 11:18 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Why do people blur number plates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack91 View Post
But then go onto have your full name, email, phone, birthday, spouses names, kids names, your friends names, where you work, the restaurants you like to go to, where you went on holiday last year etc all over your Facebook.
If someone has the ability and motivation to track down your car and steal it from the number plate alone, you better take them off when driving on the road aswell "just in case".
I just don't understand why people are still on this.
I dont do facebook so blurring my plates in pics makes sense.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-11-2021, 11:28 PM   #3
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apart from my name and photos, I don't share any of those other things on FB. I will generally blur the plate if posting a photo of the car on a public group.

There is also a very obvious reason why people blur their plates.....traceability. Some people post some pretty stupid acts on social media, and they don't want that traced back to them I suppose? "I own a yellow car....but that yellow car doing skids in my video could be a yellow car owned by anyone."

I also noticed every car on carsales has the plates blurred. Is that done automatically? That I don't get, because anyone can act as an interested buyer and make a viewing.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 22-11-2021 at 11:36 PM.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2021, 11:34 PM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Apart from my name and photos, I don't share any of those other things on FB. I will generally blur the plate if posting a photo of the car on a public group.

I also noticed every car on carsales has the plates blurred. Is that done automatically? That I don't get, because anyone can act as an interested buyer and make a viewing.
It's done automatically on car sales.
That's done after you enter the vin and submit it...

And that's fine, I just don't understand why. If you're posting in a Facey group, everyone already can see your name and photos. So what's the insecurity about 6 or so characters on some tin?
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #5
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

One reason is to prevent number plate cloning.

https://ferrallco.com.au/traffic-mat...plate-cloning/

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2021, 04:08 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

And that's fine, I just don't understand why. If you're posting in a Facey group, everyone already can see your name and photos. So what's the insecurity about 6 or so characters on some tin?
Only the gullible & drips use their real names and post their life stories on FB ect who deserve to be ripped by scammers, I use pseudonym name only with **** all info.
yea I would blur my number plate for anonymity if I was to post my vehicle image online.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2021, 04:23 PM   #7
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol @ knobheads blurring their plates
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #8
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol, you have nothing to worry about with a VT Potty, you'd probably have to pay someone to flog it.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2021, 07:32 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Third party fire and theft club - they'd be doing me a favor if my ****box fleet get set on fire or stolen
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2021, 10:51 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Because the NSA (aka "Google") scans all photos on the internet, and licence plate numbers are automatically decoded and then passed to the CIA, who then use their satellites to track every single car on the planet.

Thus they can identify all the people who never visit MacDonalds (and are therefore Anti-American Communist Vegans) and they can target them for mind-control, using the micro-chips contained in the Covid Vaccine.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2021, 10:55 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

I think scammers set up fake adds of other people's cars to sell..

You know... "I'm on an oil rig and will let it go cheap and throw in delivery" type deals..

So, even though (I believe) the listings on CS actually mention the rego the plates are blurred to reduce the use of the pictures.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2021, 11:07 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I think scammers set up fake adds of other people's cars to sell..

You know... "I'm on an oil rig and will let it go cheap and throw in delivery" type deals..

So, even though (I believe) the listings on CS actually mention the rego the plates are blurred to reduce the use of the pictures.
From the horses carsales mouth......

https://business.carsales.com.au/ins...plate-cloning/

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 24-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
From the horses carsales mouth......

https://business.carsales.com.au/ins...plate-cloning/
Wow - thanks for the idea carsales!
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #14
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Because the NSA (aka "Google") scans all photos on the internet, and licence plate numbers are automatically decoded and then passed to the CIA, who then use their satellites to track every single car on the planet.

Thus they can identify all the people who never visit MacDonalds (and are therefore Anti-American Communist Vegans) and they can target them for mind-control, using the micro-chips contained in the Covid Vaccine.
GOLD!!
Old 24-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #15
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the plates on Carsales are blurred to prevent cloning, I reckon that no-one in the world, until now, has thought of taking a photo of targeted plates with their smart phone to facilitate cloning.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2021, 07:41 PM   #16
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
If the plates on Carsales are blurred to prevent cloning, I reckon that no-one in the world, until now, has thought of taking a photo of targeted plates with their smart phone to facilitate cloning.
If they were good at cloning, surely they could create their own unique plates.
Old 27-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #17
IanC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
One reason is to prevent number plate cloning.

https://ferrallco.com.au/traffic-mat...plate-cloning/
they don't just clone the plates. It is difficult to make false plates. Much easier to steal the plates off another car, same model. age and colour. That makes it easy for the owner to spot the missing plates and report them stolen and the police will then look out for those plates with their ANPR. So the thieves then go to a third car and take its plates, replacing them with the plates they stole from the second car. The owner of the third car is unlikely to notice that his plates have been swapped and the thieves can use his plates with little chance of being caught. After all who checks that they have the right number plates every time they get in their car.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2021, 09:09 PM   #18
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
they don't just clone the plates. It is difficult to make false plates. Much easier to steal the plates off another car, same model. age and colour. That makes it easy for the owner to spot the missing plates and report them stolen and the police will then look out for those plates with their ANPR. So the thieves then go to a third car and take its plates, replacing them with the plates they stole from the second car. The owner of the third car is unlikely to notice that his plates have been swapped and the thieves can use his plates with little chance of being caught. After all who checks that they have the right number plates every time they get in their car.
But none of what you posted has anything to do with why they blur number plates online, all you wrote is how you'd go about getting dodgy plates.......

2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2021, 12:00 AM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
…After all who checks that they have the right number plates every time they get in their car.
I do? Always have done a full walk-around every time before getting in. Tyres, badges, plates, glass, new marks are looked at. Only takes a few seconds and if you approach from the nearside rear corner the effort is less obvious.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2021, 12:06 AM   #20
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I do? Always have done a full walk-around every time before getting in. Tyres, badges, plates, glass, new marks are looked at. Only takes a few seconds and if you approach from the nearside rear corner the effort is less obvious.
Are you a cop? Reminds me of Police Quest....always fail that part.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2021, 12:21 AM   #21
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

‘Ello, ‘ello, ‘ello…

Not a cop, just consider it my responsibility. Plus, if you’ve dailied an hydraulic Citroën, the walk-around allows you to monitor the rate of vital fluids being lost.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2021, 09:00 PM   #22
mondeomatureguy

Hi Guy's
There was a story on A Current Affair where a person was selling there black Toyota Lexus and this person made the mistake of putting the pictures of the car and by mistake the number plate in the picture for the ad.

Hackers made a copy of the number plate and it was printed on paper.
The red light camera, and speeding camera didnt know it a paper number plate and she was issued fines from all over the place.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2021, 09:28 PM   #23
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

The government see you have not blurred your number plate in your ad ( because we know they are always watching ), so to teach you a lesson they clone your number plates then race through red light and speed camera's to raise revenue, you get the fine in the mail

So when you take a pic of your car now you have to wear a tin foil hat so the government dont know what your doing, then blur the number plate in the picture and they wont know who you are when you post it up .

If you have ever disputed a camera fine you will know it would have been easier just to pay the fine.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2021, 09:48 PM   #24
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
If you have ever disputed a camera fine you will know it would have been easier just to pay the fine.

disputed ...... 3 times ... then they said - sorry. speeding, unregistered etc & plate was removed from a wreck!. i was NOT paying.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #25
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
disputed ...... 3 times ... then they said - sorry. speeding, unregistered etc & plate was removed from a wreck!. i was NOT paying.
We (Wife & I) have disputed a few over the years, & won each & every Time..
In all instances It involved an Interstate Registered Vehicle with the same Number Plate Combination..

Lazy Pricks just take the low hanging Fruit, & expect us to Pay..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2021, 12:36 AM   #26
fps_grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Guy's
There was a story on A Current Affair where a person was selling there black Toyota Lexus and this person made the mistake of putting the pictures of the car and by mistake the number plate in the picture for the ad.

Hackers made a copy of the number plate and it was printed on paper.
The red light camera, and speeding camera didnt know it a paper number plate and she was issued fines from all over the place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLDXLRFDgZ0

No need for anything special like SQL injection via number plates.
Hence why I blanked out my plates online because I'm not in the mood to have someone rack up fines on my behalf either.