Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-05-2021, 04:32 PM   #61
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Diabetes: Discussion thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Also worth remembering that not all type 2 people are overweight or have a poor diet.
It's mostly indians/asians who fall into this group (indians around 5x more susceptible than europeans, chinese around 3x). Asians are more predisposed to putting on visceral fat at lower BMI than europeans. The other big factor is activity/exercise (insulin isnt the only way to bring down blood glucose, physical activity does too). Sedentary lean T2D sufferers have higher mortality than overweight T2D who are active. So stay active people!
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 04:35 PM   #62
prydey
Rob

A good lifestyle for a diabetic is a good lifestyle for everyone.

Eat well and exercise.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:44 PM   #63
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
…The mediterranean diet probably has the best clinical evidence as a healthy diet.
One of the tastier too.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-05-2021, 06:10 PM   #64
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Also worth remembering that not all type 2 people are overweight or have a poor diet.

There is no 'one size fits all' diet.

Diet also doesn't mean trying to lose weight. Diet is simply what we eat and drink.
This!

One of fathers best friends developed T2. This man spent a lifetime in professional cycling, either competing or training. This is a 70 year old man that could destroy many younger wannabe's.

So Diabetes can develop even develop in people who have lived a healthy, active life.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 12:17 AM   #65
mondeomatureguy

hi Guys,
I have T2 Diabetes and i am only 6o kilos, fit, dont drink or smoke and eat ok.

I ve had it now for about 3 years now and i only found out because my blood sugar was high.
I had heaps of blood tests and thats how they found out. I had no symptoms and other wise felt ok, if not for that blood test i wouldn't have known i had diabetes.

It also affects your heart so i had an ECG and that was good. I dont have any sugar at all, watch what i eat, try and keep my carbs down and all i take is one tablet a day which regulates my blood sugar level.

So guys if your worried you may have it go and get a blood test because if you do have it and dont do anything about it, it can effect your Kidneys.

I eat a lot of vegetables and whole grain which keeps your blood glucose levels steady, I dont eat any sweets, soft drink, and when buying food at the supermarket i check the back of them to make sure the suger content is not to high and also the Carbs.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2021, 09:09 PM   #66
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could place this in multiple threads. Weight loss, Covid, depression and anxiety, mental illness.

You can't see what's happening?

CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #67
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Diabetes myths busted -
Busting some of the common myths associated with diabetes.

https://www.medibank.com.au/livebett...hwm&utm_idnt=A
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2021, 05:41 PM   #68
prydey
Rob

Type 1 and Type 2 conditions have been able to make use of technology in the form of CGM's (constant glucose monitoring) over the last few years, and like everything the technology is always advancing. A company called Dexcom have had a device that for a while now that links to your mobile phone, so you can see what your blood glucose level is at all times. This is incredibly handy and eliminates the need for constant checking by the use of finger pricks etc.

A new diabetic pump has just been approved for sale in Australia (been in america for a while, Therapeutic Goods Australia TGA are a bit stricter) which is a brand called Tandem.

The beauty of this is they have also worked in conjunction with Dexcom so that the pump and cgm can be linked, and therefore create a closed loop system. This brings even more automation to the treatment. The other main brand, medtronic, also has a similar setup using their own cgm, but its not as good or accurate.

This gives the pump the ability to suspend insulin if the cgm (dexcom g6) detects the BG going low, even before it gets to a critical level. There is an update coming where the pump can have the ability to increase insulin if the levels are going high as well.

My youngest daughter just changed over to this pump and cgm about a couple of weeks ago and really pleased with it. My daughter has adapted quite well to it after 4-5 years of medtronic.

Another massive improvement dexcom have made it possible for the user to have 'followers'. As a parent of a child with type1 this is incredibly helpful. I can now look up the app on my phone and receive the info from my daughters cgm. So even if I'm at work and she's at school, I can keep an eye on her levels, providing her phone stays within 6m of her sensor.

So yes, we are very lucky to be dealing with these diseases when technology can play such a massive part of people's lives.
Old 14-08-2021, 08:18 PM   #69
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 14-08-2021, 11:45 PM   #70
prydey
Rob

I'm glad that family eventually got on top of the issues with their daughter, but I'm not sure what the point of the video was, or the point of it being posted here??

To me, it's something that would get posted by someone who has no clue about living with or managing type 1 diabetes.
Old 19-08-2021, 11:54 PM   #71
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post

Yeah sure. Not a qualified nutritionist, not even a medical doctor. A chiropractor. Even worse, a Scientologist. Bah humbug.

I have 2 siblings with T2 and had 2 with Pre T2 indicators. When i go home i am amazed at the crap they eat. I probably look like i eat a pie every day but thats thanks to 30 years of cortisone injections, yet my non fasting levels are in the middle of normal fasting range.

Health "professionals " and others need to stop making the false assumption high bmi = T2. BMI has been discredited for years anyway.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2021, 10:14 AM   #72
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm glad that family eventually got on top of the issues with their daughter, but I'm not sure what the point of the video was, or the point of it being posted here??

To me, it's something that would get posted by someone who has no clue about living with or managing type 1 diabetes.
It's CoupeKings way of saying that Pete Evans is alive and well.
Old 22-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #73
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
It's CoupeKings way of saying that Pete Evans is alive and well.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #74
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I had my 6 month check in with my Endocrinologist earlier this week. I have never met the man in person as all our appointments have been via telehealth, but his approach to managing my diabetes has been refreshing after years of insensitive doctors who only look at the numbers in black and white. My endo is the head of diabetes research at Baker Heart and Diabetes Institute, I was refereed to him a few years ago on the advise this man was be most helpful to my situation.

I went into the session this week with the intent of perusing an insulin pump, as I felt now was the time to make the step. My doctor thought I should start with a CGM first and see if I can get some better control from that alone and then assess if a insulin pump would needed later. The thought being here is that if I can get better control outside of the times when I do blood tests, then I may not need a pump. And this is why I like this doctor, past endo's were pushing me in a direction I wasn't ready for or needed. Again, the black and white mentality not suiting every patient.

I have used the Freestyle Libre before but was not especially impressed. Since then, the sensor has been updated so I feel like it's worth having another go at using them. I just need to find an efficient way to keep them attached securely. Due to my work outdoors, I was having issues with the adhesive peeling in hot conditions. These sensors last 14 days and cost $94 a pop, I don't qualify for subsidies, if the sensor falls off in that period, it can not be re-attached.

Anyway, I keep trying to manage this as best I can.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #75
prydey
Rob

There are a few companies that do adhesive patches for the cgm's, due to the lack of suitable adhesive by the product itself, as you have discovered.

We use Rockadex
https://rockadex.com.au/

I think you can also get like a sleeve to wear over top too but these don't appeal to everyone.

My eldest loves her libre sensor (new version). Connects to her phone so very easy to scan whenever you like and provides good data throughout the day.

My youngest uses dexcom g6 as she has the new tandem t slim pump and that pairs with the g6 to be almost a closed loop system.

Real shame that you don't qualify for any subsidy. It doesn't sound right to me but I'm sure you've checked it out. Have you tried JDRF? They offer some support also if you can't get govt support.

Good to hear you've found a good Dr. Makes a big difference.
Old 12-11-2021, 09:51 PM   #76
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
There are a few companies that do adhesive patches for the cgm's, due to the lack of suitable adhesive by the product itself, as you have discovered.

We use Rockadex

I think you can also get like a sleeve to wear over top too but these don't appeal to everyone.

My eldest loves her libre sensor (new version). Connects to her phone so very easy to scan whenever you like and provides good data throughout the day.

My youngest uses dexcom g6 as she has the new tandem t slim pump and that pairs with the g6 to be almost a closed loop system.

Real shame that you don't qualify for any subsidy. It doesn't sound right to me but I'm sure you've checked it out. Have you tried JDRF? They offer some support also if you can't get govt support.

Good to hear you've found a good Dr. Makes a big difference.
Thank's for the lead on the adhesives.

I fall outside the eligibility for subsidized sensors, not being under 21 and not pregnant and I don't qualify for concessions.

Mustang GT

Old 12-11-2021, 10:16 PM   #77
slowsnake
Banned

Sorry to butt in but I needed to keep pain patches attached and ended up on biceps with a elastic tube bandage, may help you out, worth a try

Regards Billy.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2021, 07:22 PM   #78
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

We use Rockadex

Got my sensors delivered today and I ordered some patches from Rockadex. Does your daughter use the patch with or without the hole? I went with H20 Black with the hole as I was led to believe that the Libre needs to be uncovered in the center of the sensor, or is the new second generation different?

Mustang GT

Old 15-11-2021, 07:26 PM   #79
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Got my sensors delivered today and I ordered some patches from Rockadex. Does your daughter use the patch with or without the hole? I went with H20 Black with the hole as I was led to believe that the Libre needs to be uncovered in the center of the sensor, or is the new second generation different?

The patches she uses are 2 piece. The outer ring goes around the sensor and then the middle of the donut sits on top. The centre piece is basically for aesthetics only, just to make the sensor less obvious. I'll get her to take a picture and I'll post it up.
Old 15-11-2021, 07:54 PM   #80
prydey
Rob

This is the style my daughter uses. She does get help to apply the patch normally as it's a bit fiddly. Esp the centre piece to line up the pattern... Bit hard to do yourself.
Old 15-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #81
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

This is the style my daughter uses. She does get help to apply the patch normally as it's a bit fiddly. Esp the centre piece to line up the pattern... Bit hard to do yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
The patches she uses are 2 piece. The outer ring goes around the sensor and then the middle of the donut sits on top. The centre piece is basically for aesthetics only, just to make the sensor less obvious. I'll get her to take a picture and I'll post it up.
Thank you so much for that, greatly appreciated.
Mustang GT

Old 23-11-2021, 08:41 PM   #82
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I attached a Libre senor today. I trialed these a few years ago and wasn't blown away with them. Since then, they have been updated.

For those who don't know, these sensors have a fine filament that sits just under the skin, attached with a single use applicator. These don't take their reading from blood, rather the fluid under the skin (interstitial fluid).

You then scan and activate the sensor in the Libre App on a smart phone, the sensor then takes an hour to calibrate before being able to scan readings.

The part I find challenging with these devices is keeping them attached. These sensors are $95 each and last 14 days, if they fall off they can not be re-attached. I have decided to give the patches a try Prydey recommended. But I have also come across a couple of other options to keep them secured. None of these attachment aids were available when I trialed Libre's initially. Keep in mind, I don't sit at a desk all day, so the risk of bumping the sensor off or having sweat degrade the adhesive is a real concern for me.

The strap/band type would be good to have when I'm out mowing ect.

I have found so far that these gen-2 Libre's seem to be more accurate between a physical blood test and a scan.

That's for the tips Prydey.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2021, 08:58 PM   #83
prydey
Rob

Hope you find a solution that works for you. The sensors, like most electronic devices, are continually being developed and improved.

I'm not sure if the libre has this option but dexcom allow allow the wearer to have at least 2 'followers', which for my daughter is myself and my wife. I can log in and monitor her levels from wherever I am, as long as her phone is within range of her sensor.

I'm at work, she's 20km+ away at home...

It's great for parents. Can set alarms for low and high levels etc
Old 24-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #84
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Having had the Libre on for about 31 hours, I'm really enjoying the freedom of not blood testing as often. I have only done 4 blood tests in that 31 hours, and even then it was just confirmation. On a normal day, I would be doing up to 6 or more tests a day. I also like the pre-set hypo warnings.

Prydey, are your daughters doing any physical blood tests or just relying on the sensor readings?

As you can see, I'm all over the shop.

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2021, 08:13 PM   #85
prydey
Rob

Looks pretty good to me. A type 1 person will always have peaks and troughs.

My daughters don't do finger pricks while wearing the sensors. They did initially but having been using them now for months we've established they are very reliable and accurate. If having a hypo then might do a finger ***** to just double check but not every time.
Old 24-11-2021, 08:21 PM   #86
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Looks pretty good to me. A type 1 person will always have peaks and troughs.

My daughters don't do finger pricks while wearing the sensors. They did initially but having been using them now for months we've established they are very reliable and accurate. If having a hypo then might do a finger ***** to just double check but not every time.
My initial experience with Libre a few years ago left me not trusting it's readings. There were times when a senor reading would differ greatly from a blood reading, enough to have me questioning my insulin doses. Keep in mind, I was one of the first users of Libre so it's good to see they have worked hard to improve accuracy.

These newer gen-2 Libre's seem to be much more acurate, to within 0.2 - 0.5 mmol/L so I'm finding dosing to be safer based on sensor readings.

Keep in mind, I was one of the first users of Libre so it's good to see they have worked hard to improve accuracy.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2021, 08:36 PM   #87
prydey
Rob

The readings will be different between the sensor and a blood reading due to the sensor being in the interstitial fluid, as you mentioned in an earlier post. There will always be a delay. Generally they should be similar though.

Just have to keep lobbying the govts to make these technological advancements affordable for all.
Old 27-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #88
slowsnake
Banned

Reading in my morning paper that there are big advances towards treatment for type 1 diabetes, a single tablet, no needles!

Look it up fellows, I dident copy it, but was in WA newspaper, sounded like it was ready to go!

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #89
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I got nine days out of the first black RokaDex patch. I wasn't completely happy with that particular design so I ordered a version that actually covers the sensor save for a square cut-out to facilitate scanning. This version is better suited to summer conditions as well. And of course, I had to have a red one!

This patch actually gives me more confidence that the sensor is being held properly in place.

I have not had to do a physical blood test in 10 days now, the longest period in the 29 years I have had diabetes!
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2021, 09:47 PM   #90
slowsnake
Banned

I notice that the price for the patches shows AUD $15.00, how long does that last you?
Looks like a fairly big box.

Hope they find a proper needle less treatment, mainly to benefit the kiddies born with type 1, must destroy the parents, maximum stress for sure.

Cheers Billy.
2 users like this post: