Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Oil Pump Takeoff (Euro)

These plugs:
I’ve got what I think to be an oil pressure sensor fault, but it’s absolutely buried in the engine bay. Have dropped the oil and looked for sparkles, nothing.

Wondering what anyone else might have seen in regards to using one of these type plugged ports for an auxiliary gauge (temporarily). I’ve seen very similar oil pump setups across a broad range of cars, but never opened one up. Greatest concern is that whatever sealant is used, it may take the thread out with the plug - which I assume to be an NPT fitting.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Oil Pump Takeoff (Euro)

If they're NPT ports,

VDO 350010021 gauge (12V 0-100 PSI)
VDO 360.086 sender (100 PSI sender)
VDO 240.030 plug kit (for gauge, but can just use crimp terminals if you want to be dodge)

If you're one of those weirdos who uses metric measurements for pressure then these will work as an alternative:

VDO 350030016 (0-500 KPA gauge)
VDO 360.001 (0-500 KPA sender)
VDO 240.030 (3 pin plug kit)

Should be easily available from your local corporate monster auto parts reseller.

They also do a range of brass adapters to go from 1/8"-27NPTF that their senders are to other sizes.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-11-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There’s nearly (probably) enough room to screw a gauge direct into the port.

I’m more worried about releasing swarf, dislocating some unexpected port divider or stripping the thread. Fairly sure there’s an oil pressure test kit in the shop, to determine actual hot/cold PSI.
Old 18-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by citroënbender View Post
there’s nearly (probably) enough room to screw a gauge direct into the port.

I’m more worried about releasing swarf, dislocating some unexpected port divider or stripping the thread. Fairly sure there’s an oil pressure test kit in the shop, to determine actual hot/cold psi.
#yolo
2 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2021, 11:56 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
#yolo
#howlow
Old 19-11-2021, 12:00 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
#howlow
If there's no ticking and knocking noises, she'll be right
Old 19-11-2021, 04:23 AM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Seen this https://www.alfaowner.com/threads/14...please.291535/ and https://www.alfabb.com/threads/low-o...687308&slide=1 ? But what model is it exactly and why not just do the normal thing of putting the pressure gauge where the sender unit goes?

In any event, the plugs appear to be for lines for an optional oil cooler or more likely an engine block heater (if it is really a Euro one) per https://www.giuliaforums.com/threads...-heater.12898/ etc . If we knew the model or engine we might even find a picture online with the lines fitted so your plan should be fine.

Last edited by aussiblue; 19-11-2021 at 04:40 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2021, 08:02 AM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The pressure switch is absolutely inaccessible without removing a lot of stuff - rear of block, under intake manifold, behind a support bracket. It’s much easier to test from a readily accessible point first, if that can be done “as is”. The plugs shown, face forward and have 100mm or more free space in front of them before the lower radiator support.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I will add, the warning has failed to appear today, only “adjustment” being some heavy potholes on Victoria Rd westbound.

More comments: It’s probably almost so easy to swap the oil pump as just the sender - more unbolting, but more straightforward. Also, Citroën pioneered the “Two Rules of French Car Repair”, viz- 1. If you can see it, you can’t reach it, and 2. If you can feel it, it’s impossible to see. I believe Alfa may have acquired a licence to use these rules in development of their post-1982 models.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
If they're NPT ports,

VDO 350010021 gauge (12V 0-100 PSI)
VDO 360.086 sender (100 PSI sender)
VDO 240.030 plug kit (for gauge, but can just use crimp terminals if you want to be dodge)

If you're one of those weirdos who uses metric measurements for pressure then these will work as an alternative:

VDO 350030016 (0-500 KPA gauge)
VDO 360.001 (0-500 KPA sender)
VDO 240.030 (3 pin plug kit)

Should be easily available from your local corporate monster auto parts reseller.

They also do a range of brass adapters to go from 1/8"-27NPTF that their senders are to other sizes.
Euros generally don't use NPT, it's an SAE thread, usually only seen on US engines (or US based engines like Holden, Falcon, Valiant).

They are more than likely BSP, because there is no "official" metric plumbing thread.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Euros generally don't use NPT, it's an SAE thread, usually only seen on US engines (or US based engines like Holden, Falcon, Valiant).

They are more than likely BSP, because there is no "official" metric plumbing thread.

Dr Terry
I’ll find out over the weekend, have a spare motor I can wind out a plug from. Worst case I drill and tap the large plug to 1/8 NPT then use a secondary brass plug afterwards.
Old 19-11-2021, 03:49 PM   #12
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1/8 NPT & 1/8 BSP are very similar, only 1 TPI different (27 VS 28) & very similar diameters.

It might be easier to re-cut the male thread on your gauge adaptor to 1/8 BSP so it fits straight into your motor.

My old RYCO test gauge had both NPT & BSP adaptors to solve that problem.

Dr Terry
Old 21-11-2021, 06:10 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Mea culpa, it’s 3/8NPT - confirmed by measurement and the pitch of 18TPI. Secured with some clear glue/sealant.

More annoyingly, no adaptor (reducing bush) in the shop. Still no return of the warning message, however.
Old 21-11-2021, 06:26 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

No loose connections, connection nuts or similar on the back of the warning light?
Old 21-11-2021, 06:58 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

If I could touch it, that’s something I could evaluate. It’s possible the adjacent pressed metal bracket has chafed the insulation of the sender plug’s wire. It’s a single pole AMP weatherproof connector, they are usually quite snug.

From Fleabay listing 274794974608 (my annotation):
Removed for clarity, as Haynes would say: Subframe, exhaust pipe, starter motor, engine harness, alternator, intermediate driveshaft and power steering pump…
Old 21-11-2021, 09:11 PM   #16
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

Dr Terry
Euro trucks Volvo - Scania - Iveco - DAF run metric threads for their air fittings and valves anything from 6mm - 22mm.
To get out of trouble it is possible to ram the closest brass NPT fitting to get the truck home or carry out a quick test if the correct metric fitting isn't available.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Is that a metric taper, or with flat seal/dowty/o-ring?

I felt fortunate to discover the NPT profile here.
Old 21-11-2021, 09:21 PM   #18
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Is that a metric taper, or with flat seal/dowty/o-ring?

I felt fortunate to discover the NPT profile here.
Straight thread with washer or O ring.
Come to think of it I think Cummins also use metric threads for their fittings/plugs/sensors. I'll check tomorrow as I have an ISX in bits.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2021, 01:57 PM   #19
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Just a little overpackaged.
My 1/8-3/8 NPT reducing bushes. One for the shop kit, one to glue in the motor.
Old 26-11-2021, 02:20 PM   #20
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Euro trucks Volvo - Scania - Iveco - DAF run metric threads for their air fittings and valves anything from 6mm - 22mm.
To get out of trouble it is possible to ram the closest brass NPT fitting to get the truck home or carry out a quick test if the correct metric fitting isn't available.
Yes, but those aren't tapered plumbing fittings, they would be a regular metric thread plus an o-ring or Dowty washer (or even a coper or aluminium washer) to do the sealing.

My point being, is that there is no metric tapered plumbing thread standard, for convenience most Euros & Japs just use BSP if need be.

Dr Terry