Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2021, 02:35 PM   #121
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: "Peak Value" for classic cars

The bloke who had the 240z, bought it as a rolling chassis. So no motor or box. The thing had some rust repairs that were in primer so needed paint. The rb26 he spent to modify it to suit a rwd rb25 sump and had a rwd skyline gearbox in it. He had that pretty much ready for engineering, you dont need a paintjob for engineering. But then he changed tact as apparently 'everyone' does that. He never told me what he actually spent (i think he was self conscious about that) but did brag about selling the rwd converted rb26 for a profit. So with the 1uz mocked up he sold the 240z as an unfinished project, again at a profit. Something to do with his engineer said it is doable but extremely borderline, so one hair over the line and no mod plate. So he used the money from that sale to also get a loan and buy a new weekender that had a mod plate and rego. A ve2 ss ute converted to the supercharged 6.2L from a vf gts.
And this bloke is i think the only v8 commodore owner ever to swap the exhaust because it was too loud.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2021, 04:15 PM   #122
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Thread is about peak value of classic cars...
Yep, exactly. I'll tidy the rest of thread up when I get a chance.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2021, 05:26 PM   #123
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They're doing a series 1 RX7 with a 12A on MCM at the moment, those things are also worth ridiculous coin.

I can't stand rotary engines, they're the red headed stepchild of the JDM world

It'll be a cold day in hell when an RX8 becomes a classic, absolute nugget car.

Though, someone take note of this post and we'll check RX8 values in the year 2036
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #124
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love the early rotisseries, RX2, RX3 and RX4. Owned many, wish I'd kept even just one given the money they go for now. They were so much fun...that distinct noise, revving their tits off, the back-fires, "educating" stock V8s. The shock people would get that did not know of them - "what the hell is in that 808 and how did it just beat me"

Agree re RX8s, most of them these days have an LS motor.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #125
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They're doing a series 1 RX7 with a 12A on MCM at the moment, those things are also worth ridiculous coin.

I can't stand rotary engines, they're the red headed stepchild of the JDM world

It'll be a cold day in hell when an RX8 becomes a classic, absolute nugget car.

Though, someone take note of this post and we'll check RX8 values in the year 2036
The RX8 will never be worth anything. The motor is an absolute turd of a thing. Oil burning junk. It was also a huge step back from the RX7. It has a terrible reputation, so i think it will go down as more of a Camira, than a VN Commodore, which had a poor rep, but is now worth something.

Ironically the RX8 and Camira are both Wheels COTY winners
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #126
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny things you never forget..

Going to Thornlie TAFE was a right of passage a large amount of automotive trades but for any Diesel or Plant mechanic in WA it was the only campus that specialized in the heavy gear before the local CAT dealer started their on training academy

The carpark was often full of rather nice rides, talking VC HDT.. XD Fairmont, one guy had a tunnel rammed XY with twin dominators hiding under a huge scoop

Anyway, scrawled across the toilet walls in the heavy workshops were Chev bowties and 351 GT motifs, along with Ford rules, Holden power etc which seemed to remain unchanged for years

There was one retort from a Rotary fan, can't remember the comment however the associated response was gold and stuck with me till this day

"CHOOK COOKERS ARE A LOT OF W@NKEL"

Just thought I'd share as any mention of Rotary's takes me back to a simpler carefree time of my life and brings a smile to my face
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249

Last edited by rare ss; 03-11-2021 at 03:08 PM. Reason: uncensoring my punchline :D
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2021, 01:18 AM   #127
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RX8 is probably the second best handling car I've driven around the track behind an E90 M3.Both ironically have 50/50 weight distribution. The only thing **** about it is the motor and the Fullboost guys seem to have some agenda against it and have been slagging it off for years. Not sure what other rwd car you can get with near perfect handling for 10k and just stick a decent motor in it
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2021, 01:29 AM   #128
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, on paper a great car. I think the chassis is worth a project if you don't want an open top mx5.
Back when rotaries were popular people were putting them into datsuns and toyotas when the mazdas became too rare or pricey. Not enough rotors around for a good old 13b bridgeport project these days, I think housings are getting scarce and I'd rather the r100, rx2,3,4,7 guys keep them, the rx8 doesn't deserve to deprive a real classic from a rotor.
But I think in the US they are doing honda swaps as 'k swaps' are all the rage. If I had a garage it sure would be an interesting project, a stuffed renesis rx8 and a k24 swap.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #129
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A friend says they’re sniffing at this:
Quote:
…a Green '67 Valiant 2 door Sedan which came with a 4-Barrel 273 'Hi-Perf' V8 with a Bench 4-Speed. It's one of 82 built. You can see it on Mullica Hill New Jersey Facebook Marketplace
Not being a Faceache user, I can’t search the page - can anyone post a screenshot?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #130
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

Not being a Faceache user, I can’t search the page - can anyone post a screenshot?
Is that a Seppo site or one here in OZ?
Old 10-11-2021, 07:40 PM   #131
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Noo Joisey, I suppose that’s America. ;-)
Old 10-11-2021, 07:49 PM   #132
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Noo Joisey, I suppose that’s America. ;-)
Nup, I'm no FB expert but no Valiant's that I could find. Not without a link to go by anyway, sorry.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:55 PM   #133
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

Quote:

This one ?
Not sure why the pic's came up so big here ?
https://www.holley.com/blog/post/une...88Aln_ujahBpcQ

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2021, 09:13 PM   #134
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’d say that’s it. Hopefully they’ll buy it - got good storage space and access to anything needed to preserve.
Old 21-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #135
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve been wondering whether with the surge in values, attitudes to DIY rodding and customising have changed much. It feels like the middle ground - those with some facility and urge to create - is thinning.
Old 21-11-2021, 02:59 PM   #136
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I’ve been wondering whether with the surge in values, attitudes to DIY rodding and customising have changed much. It feels like the middle ground - those with some facility and urge to create - is thinning.
There's been a war against the modified car community for the past 15 years at least in VIC/Australia, there's also not too many millennials/Gen Z who are really into things with four wheels.

Also everyone has less and less disposable income available to them.
Old 21-11-2021, 09:51 PM   #137
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:

Quote:
…a Green '67 Valiant 2 door Sedan which came with a 4-Barrel 273 'Hi-Perf' V8 with a Bench 4-Speed. It's one of 82 built. You can see it on Mullica Hill New Jersey Facebook Marketplace
mmmmm Plymouth Valiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67xr
This one ?
Not sure why the pic's came up so big here ?
https://www.holley.com/blog/post/une...88Aln_ujahBpcQ

at one stage [& prob still now . . .... ] i wanted one [/6, what eva engine] so i could convert it to a VIP clone . . ..... sadly will never happen now also car has bad rust going by the dash pics. on a lighter note have saved all them piccies to drool over at some later stage so thanks for that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
isn't it a lot harder to do that now with the rules being so much tighter compared to back in the 60's/70's ?. plus a lot of younger people not interested?. altho if i turned up with a car [any] my brother-inlaw would happily repair/mod it for me ........ as long as i had the $$$$$
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #138
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gen Z here have got into 4wd big time in covid round here, they love it. Some pretty big rigs being built at quite a lot of coin. Think I've mentioned this before on one of the pages. It's where they are free.

With that in mind, I reckon things like modded 80/100 series, GQ/GU's and dual cabs might be closer to their hearts in 25 years time when they've got kids heading toward P plates and are set up.
Old 23-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #139
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Gen Z here have got into 4wd big time in covid round here, they love it. Some pretty big rigs being built at quite a lot of coin. Think I've mentioned this before on one of the pages. It's where they are free.

With that in mind, I reckon things like modded 80/100 series, GQ/GU's and dual cabs might be closer to their hearts in 25 years time when they've got kids heading toward P plates and are set up.
Please sir can you stop the planet, I wish to hop off
Old 25-11-2021, 02:41 PM   #140
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have classic cars peaked? Apparently not, $2,500 for this, what the...?
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...Anull%7D%22%7D
Old 05-12-2021, 12:41 AM   #141
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Please sir can you stop the planet, I wish to hop off
Only Captain Planet can stop the planet.