Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-11-2021, 01:03 AM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Why Do Wall Warts Have Ears?

Many wall warts A.K.A. plug pack transforms come with extra "ears" on their sides that seem designed to stop them being plugged into adjoining sockets. This is especially annoying with my Swann Security as it stops me plugging all the camera PVR power supplies into my UPS (even though the UPS is meant to have wider spaced sockets). Does anyone know why they have these"ears"? Googling found a lot of discussion on the issue but no real answer (e.g. https://ux.stackexchange.com/questio...ent-ac-outlets ). That small 2mm of ear on each side is a pain. There was some suggestion it was due to heat generated by these transformers and to ensure an air gap between each plug pack. Is this the real reason? In any event,you seem stuck with employing work around like adding small extension cords (not that practicable as they now mostly have shrouds at the socket end that won't allow a plug pack to be plugged in) or using socket double adapters. See attached examples of my Swann Cameras Plug Packs. I see on the Swann web site's products list the ones they sell now are earless https://www.swann.com/au/srpsu-12v1a-au but as they are out of stock buying replacements from them is not a practical option either. In any event, what's your solution for dealing with these ears. I have seen people take to them with the Dremel cutting the ears on the side off but that does not seem safe especially if the do indeed have a safety function. I think I will just have to invest $100 odd and replace them with generic ones from Altronics or Jaycar. These are equivalent output, socket compatible and smaller in width https://www.altronics.com.au/p/m8936...ance-plugpack/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WallWart 1a.jpg (36.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Wall Wart 2a.jpg (37.4 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by aussiblue; 18-11-2021 at 01:30 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2021, 01:23 AM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Why Do Wall Warts Have Ears?

Oops, I have just noticed this should be in the bar rather than the pub (I always get confused especially if I have been imbibing in either) so if the mod could move it please.
Old 18-11-2021, 01:39 AM   #3
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Not sure about the overall size of yours but I have the same problem with my Hand Held VHF Charger transformers, with the extra spacing these work ok for me.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-5-ou...board_p4421096

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-11-2021, 03:00 AM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Mine plugs into a UPS so it keeps recording when the power goes out. It was meant to have wider socket spacing (and is wider spaced than standard sockets) but it still has an issue with these Swann wall warts.
Old 18-11-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
slowsnake
Banned

I bought this useless and quite expensive power surge suppressor that you plugged your TV antenna into?.....it was 2009, it's been a dust collector ever since, cost $130 back then, everything seemed to be jammed together, totally useless bit of kit, the female antenna fitting is 24k gold plate?.....

slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice slippers.
4 users like this post:
Old 18-11-2021, 12:21 PM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I honestly can't imagine that a tiny air gap would do anything at all to make those run any cooler. I'd be grinding it off.

I'm actually more annoyed that the things generally block access to the switched outlet on the wall
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #8
J Arthur Rank

Hey AB

Are what you want to replace 2 amp or 1 amp mate? I've got a drawer full of 12v wall warts and other psus from old modems, hard drives, IT equipment etc. I can send 4 or 5 to you if you like (they will just go to the ewaste bloke otherwise)

More often than not the tip/barrell size is the same so it's just the amperage requirement that changes. If you're keen for some freebies, just send me a photo of the existing tip or its measurements.

Having said that, I've dremelled one that wouldn't fit for me with no negative outcomes - it's only removing plastic on the side and there is no exposed circuitry. Those little 12v/2amps don't get anywhere near hot enough to need large air gaps in my opinion and I see them all the time in my industry.
J Arthur Rank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2021, 11:45 PM   #9
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Thanks for the extremely kind offer but I have bought the Altronics ones.
Old 19-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #10
J Arthur Rank

All good mate
J Arthur Rank is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post