Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #31
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: following aircraft

An American visitor:

https://www.flightradar24.com/RCH5E1/2969ae43

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2021, 06:52 PM   #32
Mainforcepatrol

I had heard an aircraft passing over yesterday afternoon from Tullamarine and i just made out it was a large twin and grey through the cloud.I went to flightradar and it showed no aircraft so i assumed it was the RAAF A330.

Regarding aircraft curfews for major cities i think they need to be reviewed.Most of the curfews were implemented when aircraft had low bypass engines such as the 707,727.Engine technology has improved vastly and aircraft like the 787,A350 and A380 have a much lower noise footprint.While i still worked at Tulla the staff carpark was adjacent to the north south runway and i would often see an A380 takeoff and it was very quite.With the 787 and A350 even less noise.You would hear more noise coming from the Tulla freeway or Wesern Ring Road.Even though Tullamarine is curfew free i recently read an article concerning an action group against the building of a third runway and they stated that they did not want to hear thundering A380s disturbing their peace.Most takeoffs when using runways 16/34 are to the north and 9/27 are to the west over unpopulated areas.Its all politics in the end.

Last edited by Mainforcepatrol; 08-10-2021 at 06:58 PM.
Mainforcepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2021, 06:58 PM   #33
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
RAAF C130J active around Nowra https://www.flightradar24.com/TROJ20/2963ce24
sublime drone of P3s cutting laps on a summery evening much nicer than P8s...

sad panda
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-10-2021, 08:49 PM   #34
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainforcepatrol View Post
I had heard an aircraft passing over yesterday afternoon from Tullamarine and i just made out it was a large twin and grey through the cloud.I went to flightradar and it showed no aircraft so i assumed it was the RAAF A330.
I assume you mean a twin jet as opposed to a twin turbo prop? The B350s (twin turbo prop) from Sale regularly visit Tulla (as do the PC-21s from time to time) and about 1/3 of their flights don't appear on fr24.

The other option, if it was a jet, is a BBJ from Canberra. They come down to Sale reasonably often (lots of relatively free airspace available for pilot continuation training) and I'd guess about half their flights are not on fr24 either. That would make more sense, to me, as a visitor to tulla than a KC-30A (A330). Not that a KC-30A at tulla would be unheard of.

Talking of visitors to tulla, I've noticed that the aircraft from sale appear to have been visiting (touch and gos) a lot more during covid. I guess less traffic makes it easier to achieve without impacting rpt operations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-10-2021, 09:15 PM   #35
GT 0909

Quote:

Talking of visitors to tulla, I've noticed that the aircraft from sale appear to have been visiting (touch and gos) a lot more during covid. I guess less traffic makes it easier to achieve without impacting rpt operations.
You'll probably find it is a bit the other way - often military aircraft operate through civil-controlled airspace and into civil airports to give civvy air traffic controllers practice in handling military air traffic and improve their own (civil) procedures. With the current slowdown in commercial traffic, gives the civvy ATC plenty of time to hone their practices.
Old 09-10-2021, 08:34 AM   #36
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
I assume you mean a twin jet as opposed to a twin turbo prop? The B350s (twin turbo prop) from Sale regularly visit Tulla (as do the PC-21s from time to time) and about 1/3 of their flights don't appear on fr24.

The other option, if it was a jet, is a BBJ from Canberra. They come down to Sale reasonably often (lots of relatively free airspace available for pilot continuation training) and I'd guess about half their flights are not on fr24 either. That would make more sense, to me, as a visitor to tulla than a KC-30A (A330). Not that a KC-30A at tulla would be unheard of.

What's the biggest plane you been in?.civil or military, my eldest brothers first air flight was on Concorde!...not an average plane but the Concorde!
Too cool eh!
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2021, 10:45 AM   #37
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 0909
You'll probably find it is a bit the other way - often military aircraft operate through civil-controlled airspace and into civil airports to give civvy air traffic controllers practice in handling military air traffic and improve their own (civil) procedures. With the current slowdown in commercial traffic, gives the civvy ATC plenty of time to hone their practices.
Good point. I hadn't looked at it from that pov.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
What's the biggest plane you been in?.civil or military, my eldest brothers first air flight was on Concorde!...not an average plane but the Concorde!
Too cool eh!
Biggest would be a 747-400. But, I find the bigger planes don't bring me anywhere near as much enjoyment as the smaller planes do. Flying the Jabiru (maximum takeoff weight was 540kg; that's plane, fuels and lubes, passengers, luggage, everything!) was a buzz. Got way more enjoyment from that than sitting in a plane which could just have been my lounge room (albeit a cramped one )

The Roulettes are up for a practice flight. They did two sorties yesterday, one of them directly over my house with full smoke.

https://www.flightradar24.com/RLTS/297b9233

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #38
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Military aircraft do not show up on Flightradar24.

Quote:
IRegarding aircraft curfews for major cities i think they need to be reviewed.Most of the curfews were implemented when aircraft had low bypass engines such as the 707,727.Engine technology has improved vastly and aircraft like the 787,A350 and A380 have a much lower noise footprint.
Modern aircraft can be a LOT noisier....and a lot are.

For example the piece of junk called A320/330 series have a design flaw in the underwing area by way of a fuel filler vortex noise that gives it the annoying scream more than 20klms from a runway. Jetstar have so far refused to fit a 50 dollar sheet metal deflector to abate the noise, ever other carrier in the world has done so. UK airports charge a noise levy for each arrival of an aircraft NOT fitted with the modification.

In Hobart recently flight paths had to be moved due to a group of residents taking the govt department responsible to court..... The new SIDS/STARS navigation system makes flight paths so tight that if you are under one you get all planes flying over you....absolutely appaling noise.

Airports hate the "C" word...(curfew)...they will do anything to avoid one...it restricts their business model severely.

With the current Covid situation a lot of people don't know they are in one of the new SIDs/STARS flight paths....but wait till things settle down...it will shock a lot of people particularly in QLD.....you can go to the AirServices website to see what they have done...my advice ...sell your house now.

Here is a link with decibel meters in real time...

https://www.airservicesaustralia.com...noise/webtrak/

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2021, 10:42 AM   #39
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Military aircraft do not show up on Flightradar24.
Actually, that's not the case, zilo.

Many military aircraft show up on FR24. Admittedly, most of them are non-operational aircraft, but that makes sense.

As of right now (these links won't work once the flights are over), here's a sample of what I can see out and about:

I saw a P3 Orion (STRKR was the callsign) from Edinburgh fly down into Bass Strait and back on Friday. There was also a BBJ (B737) and a Dassault Falcon 7X (FA7X) (edit, FA7X out bound from Perth https://www.flightradar24.com/FA7X/298aff88) out and about, too.

I have also seen the P-8 Poseidon (BLKT), KC-30A MRTT (DRGN) and C-17 Globemaster III (BONDI) before, too. The latter was active out of the UAE when the exodus from Kabul was happening a little while back.

So they are out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 18-10-2021 at 10:59 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #40
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Oh, and for those interested in the marine side of things, here's another crossover.

https://www.flightradar24.com/MRNE1/298b0d6e This is the helicopter that ferries the marine pilots out to ships heading into port at Newcastle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2021, 08:36 AM   #41
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Another nautical link:

A boat with three pax on board has gone missing off the north coast of Tasmania, and a search was undertaken yesterday, including aerial assets. This is the path of the Australian Maritime Safety Authroity (AMSA) SAR aircraft, this one based out of Essendon, that took part in the search yesterday.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/a...-xne/#298dc835

There was also two helimed helos from Vic, a range of Airlines of Tasmania aircraft and three Westpac Rescue Helicopter Tasmania helos involved, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 28-10-2021, 11:27 AM   #42
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Saw an Antanov on the deck here in Perth on Tuesday when I got back from Broome, man they are big.
Antonov visiting Adelaide, by the look of it.

https://www.flightradar24.com/VDA5300/29a801a9

E: Make that Melbs

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 28-10-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #43
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A US Air Force C-17A Globemaster III has been visiting Sydney

https://www.flightradar24.com/RCH7E1/2abe11f4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 08-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #44
GT 0909

USAF C-17's and C-5's are regular visitors to RAAF Richmond. Have been for many years. Used to see lots of C-141's as well when they were still in service.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #45
FairmontGS
WT WRC GT Line
Donating Member3

I saw a couple of Antanov 124s at Boryspil International in 2013 and then again in 2020 when they were one of the freighters still connecting SYD to Europe. Absolute goliaths.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TEST15 cutting some laps round the local

https://www.flightradar24.com/TEST15/2ad62056
3 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2022, 06:43 PM   #47
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F that. my daughter used to live in Mawson Lakes under the main flight path, I could stay 1 night then it would do my head in.
Old 16-02-2022, 06:58 PM   #48
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
F that. my daughter used to live in Mawson Lakes under the main flight path, I could stay 1 night then it would do my head in.
F that. mozzie lakes is full of under achieving rent fillers under the main flight path, I could not stay 1 night then it would do my head in.

/keep up buddy wrong flight path
Old 16-02-2022, 07:13 PM   #49
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

opps. red wine intake kicking in early.
By the looks of his flight path he may have been on the bottle also.. but maybe not
Old 16-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #50
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

What sort of aircraft was it? Was it a pc-21? As the callsign suggests, that aircraft was on a test flight from ARDU. That may explain the erratic flight path.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 16-02-2022, 10:32 PM   #51
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What sort of aircraft was it? Was it a pc-21? As the callsign suggests, that aircraft was on a test flight from ARDU. That may explain the erratic flight path.
Pilatus doing laps
Old 17-02-2022, 09:26 AM   #52
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who is ARDU?
Old 17-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #53
GT 0909

ARDU - Aircraft Research & Development Unit. RAAF aircraft and systems testing...
Old 17-02-2022, 10:10 PM   #54
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

To give you an idea of the type of work ARDU do, noting that my time in defence stopped over 10 years ago, ARDU had 3 pc-9s (the aircraft the Roulette aerobatic display team used) for pilot continuation training, but one of those was rigged up with strain gsuges on primary structure to measure the levels of fatigue the aircraft accrued over time. This data was used to assist in the development of the structural integrity management regime that applied to the rest of the pc-9 fleet (64 aircraft in total).

They also did weapons release trials whenever a new weapon was proposed to be utilised on a particular aircraft type (Hornet or p-3 orion, for eg) to ensure that the weapon would deploy as expected once in service.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 25-05-2022, 02:58 PM   #55
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A creative piece of flying

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 25-05-2022, 03:17 PM   #56
Mainforcepatrol

[QUOTE=zilo;6638942]Military aircraft do not show up on Flightradar24

I was on Flightradar24 last year and looking at an aircraft doing circuits in the Falklands and it was an RAF A330.
Mainforcepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2022, 05:23 PM   #57
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 0909 View Post
USAF C-17's and C-5's are regular visitors to RAAF Richmond. Have been for many years. Used to see lots of C-141's as well when they were still in service.
I was at RAAF Richmond 1968 > '72.
Always 'interesting' watching a C141 take-off, the wings would lift, then a dust storm at the Richmond end of the strip and it was away, just.
We lived under the flight path, and I am sure I could have chucked a cricket ball into the cockpit.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2022, 10:50 AM   #58
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Penny Wong heading to Fiji? https://www.flightradar24.com/ASY319/2bff2996

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 30-08-2022, 08:25 AM   #59
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

For those still playing along (are there any?) or those who may want to join in the fun and frivolity, Australia is hosting Exercise Pitch Black, through until the 8th Sep. More details here.

A list of countries and aircraft involved is here.

Whilst you won't see any of the combat aircraft, you can track the air to air refuellers and transport aircraft on both Flightradar and on ADS-B Exchange. You'll need to use both of these to get a reasonable picture as to what is going on, as some aircraft appear on one platform but not the other.

The aircraft of interest typically operate out of Townsville, Amberley, Richmond, Katherine or Darwin and the refuellers operate to the south west of Darwin. Watch out for the following callsigns: twister (UK or Netherlands IIRC), sumo (US), Dragon (aus), Argo (South Korea) .

Anyone interested in tracking the military guys on ADBS-X, once you've loaded the screen, click on the 'U' button in the top right hand corner and only 'military' aircraft will be displayed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 30-08-2022 at 08:46 AM.
Old 30-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #60
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Soz, twister is Singaporean.

Action heating up in the top end atm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~