Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #1
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Jacking the Mondy

Unless an oil suction method is used, oil changes (for example) on MC Mondeos require removal of the undertray, which unless you have a hoist means lifting both sides at once using jacks (or getting into pit, which there are not many these days, or ramp off the hillside slope).

If you have just the supplied jack and a couple of jack stands, where do you put the stands, since the jacking points are so small lengthwise, and you need to support the full weight of the car with a stand to jack the other side.

No use putting a trolley jack under the front subframe, you can't remove the undertray because it's in the way?
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Jacking the Mondy

Car ramps ??
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a Ford diagram that shows lifting and stand points. Trouble is it's not very clear exactly where they are.

At the front, I jack on the sills, then put stands under the big bolts at the rear of the subframe.

The rear is easier. I jack under the suspension crossmember using a wooden block, then put stands under the sills.

I want to cut a hardwood block the same profile as the top of the car jack so I can safely use a trolley jack, but haven't got there yet.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah ramps should work. Didn't occur to me! OK for oil change at least, but not transmission since LH wheel needs to be off.

NZXR6 I use a piece of 19mm plywood on the trolley jack head, the sill just sinks in a bit and isn't damaged. Wood with a groove sounds good too.

I've heard of people using ice hockey pucks too.

Last edited by rondeo; 08-07-2016 at 04:04 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-07-2016, 01:31 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I managed to bend a sill using a trolley jack and block of wood. I lifted the car too quickly (it's a 3 tonne jack with a long handle) and the jack didn't roll as the lift arm came up.

The sill straightened OK but I'm a little nervous now!

Old 09-07-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smooth level concrete helps!

I use two three or four 2 t trolley jacks courtesy of Chinese. Once upon a time they were $168 for two at Repco. Fifth jack is spare, as seals can leak, unlike Chinese pneumatic hand trolley wheels which always leak.

I use half a lever, carport posts.

Official Ford stuff fails to mention subframes, do not play?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, it was my fault as I was in too much of a hurry and didn't make sure the concrete was clear of stones.

Ford publish a diagram of lifting points, I assume in their manual, but it just shows black dots where these are. Not very helpful.

I'm pretty sure two of the black dots are the rear of the front subframe where it bolts to the body. The rear suspension crossmember looks easily strong enough to lift the rear. Apparently most of the rear suspension isn't strong to jack.