Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 09-03-2006, 03:35 PM   #1
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Default Tyre time

Okay.. getting ready for new tyres soon. I CANT WAIT to get rid of these rubbishy goodyear nct5's.

The tyres i have narrowed down are the following.

Firestone Wide Oval.........$160 each

Goodyear Eagle 1 DSG 3....$185 each

Bridgestone Potenza G3....$195 each

TEKI please help me out :P hehehe i also got quotes on the BFG's but they were around $216 each, which seems a little dear.

I want to steer clear of the cheaper stuff... Get something well known, and something that will see me tearing around corners like a raped ape.

Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 03:58 PM   #2
Danny
GT4.

I'm Fairly happy with my Falken Ziex Hoops, but they squeal a bit round corners very easily. The old ones never did that. Teki What do you think of them??

Goodyear are always good. BF Goodrich are a truck tyre lol. Umm I beleive Potenzas are brilliant, great tyre and I'd probably go them...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

The original turanzas were a bloody fantastic tyre.
thats why im enclined to go for another bridgestone.

But on the other hand i have heard many good things about the goodyear eagle F-1 GSD3
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 09-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had G3's before....top tyre...no complants about it
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the Eagle on the focus. The tyre that came with the car. Good tyre. But then again, the focus a 1.8 manual, and its got as much performance a door mat, so when time comes to get new rubber, I'm gonna go with the cheapest I can get.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
I'm Fairly happy with my Falken Ziex Hoops, but they squeal a bit round corners very easily. The old ones never did that. Teki What do you think of them??

Goodyear are always good. BF Goodrich are a truck tyre lol. Umm I beleive Potenzas are brilliant, great tyre and I'd probably go them...
WHOA! Your happy with the Falkens?! WORST TYRE I EVER HAD! Never went back...

I have since moved to the BF GoodRich G-Force Sports - got them at $210 a corner. VERY happy with them - especially in the wet! Quite remarkable. Managed to keep up to Clio182 Cups on $258/corner Michelin Pilot PE2 Exaltos (mind you the Clio has ESP!) around the corners in the wet - i was very happy!

Now - the way I drive I am very surprised with the BFGs... they are wearing very nicely.

My next tyre was going to be a Michelin Pilot Sport - However now that I'm getting a Clio 182 Cup i guess it will be the Michelin Exaltos (which it comes with standard - never seen a better tyre!)

So - it is really up to you Mitch. Speak to your local tyre centre - My local Bob Jane love me now - I'm a regular and they always beat the lowest price i find elsewhere... and they know quite alot about tyres.

I would choose from the Good Year Eagle GSD3, BFGs or Michelin Pilot Sports (expensive!)

Good luck!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

id shop around for the Potenza G3. My local place said it will be $250 to change front tyres to G3 + wheel alignment. Might be to do with u having 16inch though?
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:13 PM   #8
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Mitch - have a read of that link i PMed you - heaps of prices and quotes around there for tyres. Let me know if you have any dramas with understanding the posts.

Cheers mate

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 10-03-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Falken has just released a couple of new tyres (I went to the product release last night) the new 452 looks the part, they've got the nickname "rainmeister" in europe, but with our conditions I'm not sure that they will work as well, My bet would be on the Yokohama A-Drive, but at about $200 a corner is getting up there, Personally I would'nt touch the goodyears, I have seen too many problems through the life of the tyre.(Noisy, irregular wear, separations........the list goes on). Good luck and keep chasing those raped apes.

PS. Don't discount the cheaper brands, I'm running Federal SS-595's (at about $130), have had no problems smoking my brother-in-laws corolla sportivo through the twisty bits in the wet.

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #10
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Well then it looks like the Bridgestone Potenza G3 or the cheaper option.. Firestone Wideoval.

The goodyears have a mean looking tread pattern, look like they would handle exceptionally.

Loads of fun :
Old 10-03-2006, 06:20 PM   #11
0xyg3n

I have Yoko A.drive's on mine. Payed 225$ a tyre and they grip very very very well in both wet and dry.
0xyg3n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #12
RichieMK6
Panther Black MK6

toyo proxies very good allround performance

In development stage 2

Carnt wait for the day ,NA all the way ,9000rpm with the top down
RichieMK6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 10:48 PM   #13
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Mitchelin Pilot MXM HX's stick like flies to ....well u know what! but hell $$$
I bought 2 for the front the sales guy said "that'll be 1000"
I said "what cents" 'No dollars' he said.
Last time i bought them i can tell ya

Other than that I'm gonna go with GoodYear F1's .....i luv em, quiet, grip excellent, long lasting.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #14
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

What are Pilot MXM HX's? Never heard of it....

And - I heard the F1s are noisy... from every person I ask

Old 16-03-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
What are Pilot MXM HX's? Never heard of it....

And - I heard the F1s are noisy... from every person I ask
HX MXM's don't come in ay sizes even close to fitting a fiesta, smallest one listed in my michelin price book is 205/60R15, waaay too big.

When comparing tyres you gotta compare apples with apples.

I totally agree about the F1's way overrated

Old 16-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #16
joshf2
striped

sacreybear - you dont like the F1's? wow. cause everyone ive spoken to about them raves nothing but great words about them....

beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2006, 03:08 AM   #17
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Hmmm, i have GSD3 F1's on my Foci and i reckon they're awesome!! Much less noise than the nct's i had. Plus they got a killa tread pattern, everyone seems to comment on how good they look

But otherwise, all ive heard is positive comments for the GSD3's.

Tom
Old 17-03-2006, 04:38 AM   #18
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
sacreybear - you dont like the F1's? wow. cause everyone ive spoken to about them raves nothing but great words about them....

beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess
When you have to deal with them regularly, you tend to see the worst side of them, when I was working for beaurepaires, I probably had to deal some kind of problem almost weekly. I know this is at the extreme, normally people don't just see the bad side of tyres, but when you get the amount of customers complaining about them that I've seen it tends to leave an impression.
Don't get me wrong, some people obviously love them, had no dramas with them, but after 15 years in the tyre industry I think theres plenty of better options for the same or less money.

Old 17-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #19
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

WHOA! I got the RenaultSport Clio yesterday - and they have Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 (very hard to find - not listed on the books... the tyre dealer will have to call up head office)

Lets just say they were designed for the Clio (1090kg, and 131kw)... and gez do they stick! I'm yet to hear the tyre squeal! It just grips, and grips.... and grips some more! Very nice!