Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-08-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
timmyTTjr
Come On Arsenal

Default Car cleaning products???

G'day all,

I have been trawling the forums for a while but never became a member. I thought that now I have bought a fiesta I should probably sign up!

Anyway I have never been a huge car person so I dont really have any ideas about what is a good brand of car cleaning product and wax etc. I couldnt justify the money for that 5th dimension treatment thing but want to use a good wax to protect the beautiful paint! Sorry for being a pain, it is just that my old car ('89 pulsar hatch) didnt deserve anything too special so I have never really looked into this kind of thing.

By the way, I am soon becoming a 'car person' after driving the fiesta, I love it!

Thanks in advance!
-tim

timmyTTjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tim the megs Nxt gen is probably as good as bang for your buck as you can get, there are many options and as time goes by slightly change your car care kit to adjust to a better product if you find one.

we purchased a brand new lx hatch focus in black today and like you did not opt for the 5th dimension and i will be coating this with megs.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #3
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would highly recommend Meguirs Tech Wax
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
timmyTTjr
Come On Arsenal

Thanks lads,
Will check both of them out!
As i said, I am pretty much a newbie to car maintenance so any advice I can get I appreciate. Will be sure to take good care of my new baby though!
Old 09-08-2006, 06:12 AM   #5
JD2004

I use meguiars products and been very happy with them, check them out at http://www.meguiars.com

The NXT Gen Car Wash plus
The NXT Gen Tech Wax

Best bang for your buck and good products!
JD2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
Peej

If you really want the best protection for your new car i'll recommend Zymol. Depending on the colour of your car you purchase a wax and cleanser that will match. However the waxes start at about $90 and the cleanser is about $50 for 250ml. As i said all depends how much you time and protection you want on your car. But you'll get ultimate protection especially for a new car
Peej is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
Peej

does anyone else use Zymol?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC

we purchased a brand new lx hatch focus in black today and like you did not opt for the 5th dimension and i will be coating this with megs.
Ncye Pete

Congrats on the new puchase on the black Focus im sure after your touch it will always look like shiney black magic. Did you offload any cars at all or just another car to clean?

Cheers

Scott

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #9
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

G'day Tim, to get a little sidetracked... it's good to finally see another Adelaide Fiesta owner!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:23 PM   #10
timmyTTjr
Come On Arsenal

Yeah good times! Adelaide has its moments!

Thanks for all your help, looks like I will look into the meguiars stuff as that should be the easiest to get my hands on.

Regarding running in, did most of you ease into it, because I have heard conflicting reports of the best way to run your car in. I must admit that I may have gotten a little carried away when I picked it up this afternoon, is there any particular revolutions or speed that I should keep the engine under for the first few hundred kilometres? The dealer didn't say anythign about it and the owners manuel says nothing about it... what are your thoughts???
Old 09-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #11
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Ncye Pete
Congrats on the new puchase on the black Focus im sure after your touch it will always look like shiney black magic. Did you offload any cars at all or just another car to clean?
Cheers
Scott
Scott another one to clean this is for my daughter and is her car, still have the other rides.

we were looking at the turbo but have decided this option will give the best of both worlds for her as she can now invest the diference into a property which made more sense.

but all is good for her first car = brand new and she is wrapped, had to laugh as she said to me dad i will buy some cleaning gear from you, i replied dont worry its all there and i will help you sort it.

when i was that age a new car was something you got when you were 50 or something like that, so i thought, and i had yes a xw / xy not sure station wagon second hand but i loved it.

Ps seen your ride posted just cleaned looked great.

back on track for the rightful owner of the thread.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:21 AM   #12
MRJUCY
Fordless

Their is a limitless supply of brands & products available it all depends on what your willing to spend both in dollar terms & time wise as well as the look you want to acheive.

The basics to begin with are
A good quality wash
paint cleanser
wax or sealant
as well as a wash mitt, applicators & micro fibre cloths to buff & dry.

their is lots more to buy for pretty much every part of your car but that will get you heading in the right direction.

Bowdens Own is easily my favorite brand that is easy to get at a local level but I have scores of other high end brands I use & a couple of other retail level products like the Meguiars NXT glass cleaner & their brushes which were just released are excellent.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #13
longjohnson
Adam

Default Car cleaning

Really you dont need polish or wax for your car within the first two years if the car is new as the color hasnt faded. Just make sure when you was it you use a chami to dry it and that will keep it nice and bright. I have had my car for 2 years and have only needed to polish it recently for the first time.
longjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #14
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohnson
Really you dont need polish or wax for your car within the first two years if the car is new as the color hasnt faded. Just make sure when you was it you use a chami to dry it and that will keep it nice and bright. I have had my car for 2 years and have only needed to polish it recently for the first time.
??? Not sure i fully agree with that but everyone to their own, i am sure a good polish / wax is going to help with prevention of stains caused by the enviroment / bird strike / general wear n tear etc just for starters. but your call as above.

Timm, you need to get some pics up of your new car if you can so we can see it, also if your anywhere near me (will PM my location to you) and you want to drop around on a weekend i will give your car a free coat of NXT Gen or Bowdens own ( your choice ) to get you under way.

Pete
Old 10-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #15
timmyTTjr
Come On Arsenal

Thanks Pete for the offer, but I already gave it a coat of NXT Gen this arvo. Am happy with how it came out. I will go take a few snaps this weekend if I have time. I am really stoked with the car, I love the Tango paint job. Unfortunately pictures dont do it justice, but I will do my best!
Thanks again for your offer, I appreciate it.
PS. and yes I was looking for a polish/wax to protect the paint as much as making it look good. Mainly because I didnt go for the 5th dimension package.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:43 AM   #16
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Go the Tango Zetec. I'm still loving mine. Can't beat that new car smell either. I tried to keep mine under 3500rpm for the first 500km & started to open it up a bit after that. Mine is nearly at 5000km & i'm going to change the oil next week. Thinking Castrol EDGE but I've heard really good things about Motul as well. What options did you get with your car? Mine should be listed below. Enjoy the Zetec. KJ
Old 11-08-2006, 12:58 AM   #17
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peej
Zymol
I've heard of this brand before - where do you purchase it from?

I use Nxt Tech Wax at the moment...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 01:04 AM   #18
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good site about different products
http://www.waxwizard.com.au/html%20f...ervations.html
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 11:51 AM   #19
timmyTTjr
Come On Arsenal

KiwiJohn: I just went for mats and tint. Am really thinking about getting that leather gear knob though, the plastic one just leave something missing. I will contact my ford dealer soon. hmmm regarding keeping it below 3500 revs for first 500 kms, you must be very disciplined!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #20
JD2004

farout 3500 revs for the first 500?? i was hitting 6000 during the first day i had the car..

Anyone want to buy a second hand WP fiesta 20,000kms good as new. always garaged.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #21
photn
AFF Post NAZI

not selling it already JD2004 lol.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 01:34 PM   #22
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Well, fairly disciplined. I got the the leather gear knob after a week, goes so much better with the leather wheel. The silver bit kept coming out of the original knob too. The dealer through in the spoiler & I think it looks good, better than an after market one as well. I didn't get the tints but should have.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:15 PM   #23
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed with what most here say, personally, I used the armourall (?) wash and the meguiars deep crystal polish. Haven't bought the wax and claybar yet.

Other than that, whats polishers do you guys use? I'm looking to buy one but have next to no idea on what to get. (and something to get rid of swirl marks - it's horrible having a dark colour car)
Old 11-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #24
photn
AFF Post NAZI

i couldnt be bothered doing myne as i know nothing about polishing a car, so i get myne profesionally done 1 every 2-3 months. mind you i eventually want to learn lol. but a full car detail and wax,polish and wash for 65, who's complaining.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 03:28 PM   #25
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
(and something to get rid of swirl marks - it's horrible having a dark colour car)
try some sratchx next time you do the car , also prevention is better than cure so use Micro Fibre cloths if you can.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #26
Peej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
I've heard of this brand before - where do you purchase it from?

I use Nxt Tech Wax at the moment...
Well its just really come to Australia recently, up here in QLD you can get it from Autobarns (only like 2) or from car detailers. It really is a premium product.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:40 PM   #27
Peej

While on the topic of cleaning things, Chamois or MicroFibre drying cloth? I use a MicroFibre drying cloth just wondering what everyone else is using?
Old 12-08-2006, 06:18 PM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Oh... I got some of my rims fixed the other week, and the guy that fixed them gave me an awesome way to clean your rims.

First, fill the bucket up with hot water and soap. Then ANOTHER bucket with hot water too. After washing the rims with a sponge, then rinse the rim with HOT water. The dirt comes right off (unlike cold water which runs and might need a second rinse with water) andddddddddd the cool part - it dries up within about 30 seconds! Since the hot water just evaporates...

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #29
JD2004

thanks for the tip Teki.. il give it a try in a few months when i was my car next :p