Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #1
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Heat resistant paint or coating?

I have a bit of a query regarding what options to use to change the colour of a wood heater.

I have a Norseman wood heater in brown that is basically this exact one:

So its a thicker steel box, surrounded by a sheetmetal cover which is some kind of enamel or powdercoat. With a newly renovated room, brown no longer suits and it would be good to change it to black.

I think powdercoating would be the best option if it can stand up to the heat. Being that the sheetmetal is more of a cover with a bit of an airgap and not in direct contact with the fire itself, it just MAY be ok. I never actually tested surface temperatures though.

Also the Flue is brown which may be more of an issue.

The other option is a potbelly paint, but it seems like a messier option which wouldnt have as good a finish, and probably easier to scratch.

What can you recommend?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Heat resistant paint or coating?

https://www.stovebright.com.au/paint-powder
Old 04-02-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

from a car forum - how about exhaust header paint?
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-02-2019, 12:31 PM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the suggestion.

I forgot to mention, one concern I have with heatproof paints such as what you suggested is that to cure the paint it must react a certain temperature. For that product you mention it’s 600f or 350c. I’m partly concerned that the surfaces I wish to paint may never reach that temperature and so I assume will never fully cure.

I only wish now that before removing the wood heater that I tested all surface temperatures with a heat gun with the heater at full temperature. Then I could have determined if powdercoat is adaquate or if I needed heat paint.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2019, 03:30 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I have a bit of a query regarding what options to use to change the colour of a wood heater.

I have a Norseman wood heater in brown that is basically this exact one:

So its a thicker steel box, surrounded by a sheetmetal cover which is some kind of enamel or powdercoat. With a newly renovated room, brown no longer suits and it would be good to change it to black.

I think powdercoating would be the best option if it can stand up to the heat. Being that the sheetmetal is more of a cover with a bit of an airgap and not in direct contact with the fire itself, it just MAY be ok. I never actually tested surface temperatures though.

Also the Flue is brown which may be more of an issue.

The other option is a potbelly paint, but it seems like a messier option which wouldnt have as good a finish, and probably easier to scratch.

What can you recommend?
mike_nofx This is my solution for a coating.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post