Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-12-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Retro fitting shed insulation

So when I built my shed I didn't bother with getting it lined at the time with insulation, which is normally fixed between the sheeting and the purlins.

Now I want to line the inside with some of this:

http://www.ametalin.com/insulation-p...k-7-insulation

But I'll have to cut it and fix it to the wall sheeting, I was thinking of some sort of fast grab construction adhesive.

Does anyone have any ideas on the best one to use, something like these below or something even better, my plan was to place dollops about the size of a 20c piece at regular spacing to hold it onto the wall sheets.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-...nails_p0026025

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sika-300...nails_p1213446
Old 29-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #2
BlueBear
Shockwave

Default Re: Retro fitting shed insulation

You will actually get better thermal insulation if you hang it under the purlins, leaves an air gap between the roofing and the insulation.
I would suggest you leave it in a continuous sheet hung under the purlins attached with metal ceiling battens underneath.
You will need help to do it, but it works really well and looks good too.

Something like this - though I have run the ceiling battens the other way as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (16.4 KB, 57 views)
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #3
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Yep agree. Thats how I did mine. I used 40mm foam.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watching with interest, as I will need to do this in my new place at Orange.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

I used this stuff. It is a foil type and works well . I did my roller doors that made a huge difference . It is fitted using their magnetic strips. I was skeptical but it does work nice

http://shedinsulationdiy.com/index.html
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear View Post
You will actually get better thermal insulation if you hang it under the purlins, leaves an air gap between the roofing and the insulation.
I would suggest you leave it in a continuous sheet hung under the purlins attached with metal ceiling battens underneath.
You will need help to do it, but it works really well and looks good too.

Something like this - though I have run the ceiling battens the other way as well.
That's a great idea for the roof, what about the walls?
Old 30-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I haven't done a shed yet but building a Colorbond steel framed cabin where the walls I'm lining with "Greenstuf" R3.5 recycled (no fibreglass) insulation batts within the cavity and a painted CD plywood internal covering.
I'm using an epoxy glue in dobs to stick the plywood to the steel frame and this acts as a thermal break.
Use string across the uprights to hold your batts in place while your gluing the inner covering.
It has to look pretty in a cabin but a shed, I would imagine you can use a lesser plywood or particle board like I've seen in Canadian barns.

With the roof did a similar thing as suggested above with a combination of air cell top, air gap and Greenstuf ceiling batts laying on a slotted timber ceiling.
Greenstuf I bought from Bunnings, epoxy glue I buy from my stone tools supplier or ships chandler, Whitworths.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2018, 02:51 PM   #8
BlueBear
Shockwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
That's a great idea for the roof, what about the walls?
I would put batts in the walls personally, or if you want to use the same stuff just use builders strapping instead of ceiling battons.

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

I just did the walls in my garage, massive difference particularly on the sun facing walls.

It was easy, I made sub-frames out of timber then cut foam to suit.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sheds are hot tin boxes

kick the doors open, smack a decent fan on and get some air flow rolling
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 08:47 PM   #11
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
I used this stuff. It is a foil type and works well . I did my roller doors that made a huge difference . It is fitted using their magnetic strips. I was skeptical but it does work nice

http://shedinsulationdiy.com/index.html
This stuff looks alright.

How’s it go on a real hot day?

I’m building a shed hopefully in a few months time and I’m in the Pilbara, very interested in keeping as much of the heat at bay as possible.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 PM   #12
.:4:.
Kicking back

Insulation is what it is, it keeps heat out but also keeps heat in. What i found really effective in my house (not a shed i get that) is the extraction fan i have protruding through my roof that i wired through a thermostat so it kicks on when the temp in the roof space hits 40. So it kicks on at about 28 outside. Yes i have a whirlygig but the extraction fan really makes the house not heat up anymore then outside. My house is a brick pier though so the fan sucks colder air from under the house. Just something to think about.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR View Post

I’m building a shed hopefully in a few months time and I’m in the Pilbara, very interested in keeping as much of the heat at bay as possible.
At a mates place.

His garage has an Insulated roof along with a swampy hooked up to a garden hose for really hot days.....like we're having now

Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 PM   #14
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Quote:

I found it did exactly what I wanted , using it on dark green roller doors that get full arvo sun. The heat radiated inside previous was crazy, you’d not be able to hold your hand on the door.
That foil now is warm to touch but no real heat radiates off. I did the doors first as a test but not got around to doing the roof. Must get back onto that lol
Old 02-01-2019, 10:30 PM   #15
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
At a mates place.

His garage has an Insulated roof along with a swampy hooked up to a garden hose for really hot days.....like we're having now

I’m seriously considering installing air con in it, but will go the insulation route to start and see how it goes.

I want to do knife making in there believe it or not! Firing up a forge in 40 degree heat is madness really
Old 02-01-2019, 10:31 PM   #16
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregaust View Post
I found it did exactly what I wanted , using it on dark green roller doors that get full arvo sun. The heat radiated inside previous was crazy, you’d not be able to hold your hand on the door.
That foil now is warm to touch but no real heat radiates off. I did the doors first as a test but not got around to doing the roof. Must get back onto that lol
This sounds good.

I like how this stuff can be put on roller doors, will make a huge difference.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #17
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
This sounds good.

I like how this stuff can be put on roller doors, will make a huge difference.

I didn't want to go gluing to the roller doors . The magnetic strips they supply work well
Old 04-01-2019, 12:06 PM   #18
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I reckon with todays 44C nothing is going to work real well.
We might have to start a cave dwellers workshed soon.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: